Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ah I see...Ludicrous - glad I dont use twitter.

Good old Sage to the rescue - big fan of this guy - he has super Youtube content by the way;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Ya that's the Tweet. I'm not on Twitter either but it came up on my Instagram feed.I think he comes out with controversial statements to get attention

February review

I was able to build some consistency after my injuries in January. I made the decision to only run 5 days a week and I'm think it's paying off. I'm back to having two sessions and a long run weekly. Although I really miss the Wednesday easy recovery run. I think it helps brings the legs around after Tuesdays session.

February totals

Days running: 22/28

Distance: 276.5km

Time: 22 hours

Longest Run: 21.1km (x2)

Sessions: 8

• Advertisement

Monday

50 minutes Easy

10.2km @ 4:58/km or 8:00/mi

My legs were a little heavy after yesterday's hilly run but not too bad. I brought the pace back a little.

Tuesday

3km cruise with 2:30 minutes off recovery, then 5x800 targeting 2:44-2:46 with 2 minutes off recovery.

Perfect evening for training I was able to wear short sleeves and gloves. It was always long sleeves in February. 3km warm up plus my activations, drills, and few untimed strides. The 3km cruise was a bit of a effort at the start, I just felt sluggish but as it went I started to feel better. I probably should have done a few more strides before starting the 3km cruise but by the 2nd km I smooth enough. The 3km was in 11:10 so that's a 3:43/km or 5:59/mi average pace. Solid enough effort. Then 2:30 minutes standing recovery before starting the 800s. The 800s went great. They were hard going but quite controlled, the 2 minutes off rest was loads as I never felt too tired. The last one I pushed it a little bit more but not too hot either. I really enjoyed that session. 3 km cool where I nearly froze to death

3km in 11:10 (3:43/km or 5:59/mi average pace)

5x800

2:46, 2:46 2:44, 2:45, 2:43

Wednesday

Rest day. All good today

Thursday

50 minutes easy

10.2km @ 4:54/km or 7:53/mi

On the roads, legs heavy enough today.

Friday

24 minutes tempo with 2 minutes jog recovery then 6x 30 seconds on/off fartlek

Perfect conditions again. After dinner session so still a bit full. Good warm up of nearly 3.5km which includes my strides. Activations and drills too.

Tempo 24 minutes with a average pace of 3:54/km or 6:17/mi then 2 minutes shuffle or jog before starting the fartlek of 30 seconds hard 30 seconds easy. All of the 30s on were at 3:05-6/km pace or 4:58-59/mi (except for one where I had to step off the footpath onto the road where a woman was walking a dog on a long lead) so good turn over. When I stepped off the footpath I had a slight wobble on my famous left ankle!  After the session 2.6km cool down.

Saturday

Rest day. But I had a slight niggle in my left ankle after that wobble yesterday.

Sunday

Easy 100 minutes

21.11km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mile

The exact same pace and distance as last Sundays run. I did the same route in reverse today. I woke up and had planned to run in the evening to see how my ankle felt throughout the day. But I was feeling good so I headed out. Wow what a beautiful morning just one of those days where you feel blessed enjoying the views and it feels so easy. Then afterwards I spend the day with my family and to top it off a lovely walk in the forest. While I'm having a perfect day I can't but help think of my friends in Poltava and Dnipro in Ukraine who are living in a very different world. Thankfully their cities haven't been subjected to the hell that the people of Kyiv are suffering but its only matter of time I'm afraid.

5 days running and like last week two solid sessions and a hilly long run. 69km in total. Morning runs next week... 

Monday

AM: 50 minutes Easy

10.69km @ 4:58/km or 8:00/mi

Tuesday 

PM: 8x1km with 60 seconds off recovery aiming for 3:40 ish ks 

Long sleeves, jacket, gloves, hood up and 3 inch split shorts. Wet, cold, and windy (cross wind). I found this session a breeze to be honest. Never really working too hard. So a good confidence builder.

Warm up just over 3km plus the usuals 

8x1km splits 

3:42, 3:43, 3:41, 3:38, 3:40, 3:39, 3:39, 3:38

Cool down 3km 

Wednesday

Rest day. 

Thursday

AM: 50 minutes easy

10.34km @ 4:55/km or 7:55/mi

Fartlek Friday 

PM: 4x 3 minutes on, 90 seconds recovery, 2 minutes on, 60 seconds recovery, 1 minute on, 30 seconds recovery 

Good conditions but a bit windy. Why oh **** why did I decide to this on a newly gravelled track with 90° bends instead of a 2km loop on the roads. It made for very hard work. Also after the session my left achillies was a bit tender. This session took a lot out of me I was very tired that evening afterwards but the legs were good except my achillies.

The 3 minutes on were between 3:40-3:42/km pace (5:56/mi ish) 

The 2 minutes on were between 3:31-3:35/km pace (5:43/mi ish)

The 1 minute on was 3:21-28/km forget 1st 3 then the 3:36/km for the last one I think I lost count of what pace I should have being doing there. 

Cool down just over 2km 

Saturday 

Rest day. 

Sunday 

Easy 100 minutes and a bit

21.2km @ 4:51/km or 7:48/mile 

No problems before the run or during it but again my left achillies a little hot afterwards 

5 days running 71.5km 

This week my plan was to have a step back mainly due to that little bit of discomfort in my left achillies but also my clubs 10km road race and all the work that goes into that. Last Sunday night after I posted this log my achillies did get a bit sore. The plan was two days off then easy days with strides on a couple of days...

Monday

Planned Rest

Tuesday

Planed Rest

Wednesday

Unplanned "rest day".

I had planned to head out in the evening. Just after 3pm we met up to mark the kms and arrows on the routes for my clubs road race. Then setting out the cones, bringing the barriers down from the council yard, signage etc. Then doing the dropping of cones and barriers in the countryside at every junction. We don't the barriers out I the town in the evening before, just cones to stop cars parking.The crew doing the evening registration in the hall were busy enough I'm not involved in that side of things. We've lost a lot of senior members during covid, also it was 3 years since we ran the race so we weren't really as well oiled as we once were so the set up was slower than usual. It was 8pm when I got home and nothing to eat since lunch time so I didn't bother heading out for a run. To be honest I was pretty wrecked after it all so no run today...

Thursday

Unplanned "rest day"

Race day. No sleep ins today up at 7am. First job drive the route and make sure all is okay. Then set out the cones at the busy junctions in town, then remove all the cones we put out the night before to stop cars parking and replace them with barriers. The race starts and finishes in two different places and we also run a 5km fun run along side our 10km so there is quite a bit of setting up. Banners, gantry, advertisements from sponsors. This year we didn't use the hall for the afters we had a markee at the finish line with tea, coffee, sandwiches, and other bits. Not ideal but covid is still an issue. That involved a bit more work setting up the markee and carrying down the tables from the hall. We've a new priest in town so there was a bit of a mix up with mass times, normally mass times are changed to suit the race but not today. It did cause some traffic problems but it worked out in the end. When we had everything set up before out stewards final meeting and checks the weather changed for the worst but thankfully by the race start time it brightened up and the wind settled down a bit. It all went good on the day, a few hairy moments where we could have done with a few more stewards, again down in numbers on previous years. 128 at the 10km and 126 at the 5km probably half the numbers of 2019 which we kinda expected. We left it quite late to decide to go ahead with the race which did cause problems and lack of advertisements. It's on the go since 1973 so it's an important race on the local calendar. It's quite a difficult route and had to manage too doing a loop of the town then out into the countryside before coming back into town again to finish. You need plenty of help and people to know what to do too. It's all volunteers too. We could change it to a very flat route but it wouldn't be in the town centre so you'd loose the buzz and the tradition. After the race the tidy up begins which is just as big of a job as setting up. I got home at 6pm. I was exhausted to be honest so no run for me.

Friday

30 minutes easy

6km @ 5:06/km or 8:12/mi

All good but I was in a hoop...

Saturday

50 minutes easy

10.6km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mi

All good back to myself

Sunday

Easy 75 minutes or 10 miles

16.2km @ 4:41/km or 7:32/mile

I ran this on a the flat route option we could change our race route too for anyone who follows me on Strava it's from 3km to 13km. It would be a PB course, maybe we could run a summer race.

3 days running 32.9km

No running tomorrow, my little man is getting his 2nd dose of vaccines. I'm thinking just one session this week coming too

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Fair play on the work with the race. I don't get down to family as much anymore but I keep threatening to get back for the race I think its about 5-6 years since I did it last. Definitely not an easy one but most of the suffering happens on the way out where people can't see you sure and lightning fast finish

A long way to travel for a difficult race! Fair play to you. Actually I remember seeing someone in your clubs distinctive singlet a good few years ago. I assume that was you?

• Advertisement

Monday

Rest day

Tuesday

50 minutes easy

10.6km @ 4:52/km

Wednesday

Planned 2x2miles cruise

Warm up 2km plus activations, drills, and dynamics

2miles in 11:59 or 3:43/km average

2 minutes rest

I started the 2nd 2 miles and could feel my left ankle/achillies straight away. I considered running on and see would the pain go way as it wasn't too bad but after 400m I decided to cancel the session and jog home...

No pain on the cool down of just over 2km

Thursday

Rest

Friday

Easy 50 minutes

10.1km @ 4:47/km

No problems

Saturday

Rest

Sunday

85 minutes easy with some moderate bits thrown in

18.2km @ 4:41/km

No problems again

47.2km for the week 4 days running.

Monday

10.2km @ 4:56/km or 7:56/mi

Tuesday 

AM: Broken tempo 8x3 minutes with 1 minute jog recovery 

Warm up 3km plus activations and drills 

8x3 minutes average paces

3:54/km

3:54/km

3:51/km

3:50/km

3:53/km

3:53/km

Overall average pace in miles was 6:13/mi

2km cool down

Wednesday

Rest day

Thursday

10.49km @ 4:49/km or 7:45/mi

Friday 

AM: 3x 10 minutes with 90 seconds off recovery 

3km warm up plus activations and drills 

I did this session on a gravel trail loop in the forest. It's worth a couple of seconds per kilometre compared to running on the road in terms of effort.

10x 3 minutes average paces

3:56/km or 6:20/mi

3:52/km or 6:13/mi

3:55/km or 6:18/mi

Cool down 2.2km 

6am sessions are always hard going

Saturday 

PM: 75 minutes easy 

16.18km @ 4:45/km or 

Sunday 

Rest day

5 days running 62.7km 

Monday

PM: 50 minutes easy

10.5km @ 4:49/km or 7:45/mi

Tuesday

PM: 6x1km cut down with 2 minutes off recovery

Warm up 3km plus activations and drills

6x1km splits

3:35, 3:33, 3:30, 3:29, 3:28, 3:24

Fairly hard but controlled except the last one where I was definitely working hard.

3.4km cool down

Wednesday

Rest day

Thursday

PM: 50 minutes easy

10.36km @ 4:50/km or 7:47/mi

Friday

AM: 6km Tempo

I was slow at getting out of bed so I had to cut my warm up and cool down back to 2km instead of the usual 3km. I almost considered not doing this as it was rainy sleet dark morning but I ploughed on with it. I had 8 strides at the finish of the tempo but again short on time and didn'tdo them. Actually it turned out I didn't need to get up early for this session because I loads of time in the evening when conditions were perfect. Ah well, a good character building excerise if nothing else 🙂The tempo was ran on the roads out and back, the last km was a nice finish so I kept it relaxed and let my legs turn over without working.

2km warm up plus activations and drills

6km tempo k splits

3:51

3:50

3:49

3:50

3:49

3:41

6km in 22:50 @ 3:48/km or 6:07/mi average

Cool down 2km

Saturday

Rest day

Actually my right achillies was quite sore in the evening which hasn't given me much trouble since 2017. I think maybe a big of overload and I was wearing uncomfortable shoes all day....

Sunday

No problem on that right achillies all day or even during and after my run.

PM: Easy 85 minutes

18.02km @4:46/km or 7:40/mi

This run was actually 2x9km with 5 minutes rest. About half way I passed by a house with kids playing with a young dog in the lawn, no issue there. I was maybe 100mts up from there house when I saw a car flying towards me, I waved at it to slow down but it didn't slow down. I stopped and looked behind me and of course the kids and the dog ran out on the road. My heart was in my mouth! Luckily no one was hit! It took the car another 100mts or more to stop because it was going that fast. But he took off quick when he seen no one was hurt. Anyway the dog took off with the fright it got and the kids started crying so I managed to catch the dog and carry it back. The kids Dad came out and was grateful. I didn't get the full reg I am thinking of reporting the car to the Gardai but I think the owner is related to local gangland so maybe I won't..

5 days running 62.1km I had planned 65km it was down 3km because of the shorter warm up, cool down, and no 8x strides either. If the body holds up well I'll do a 5km next weekend to see where I am in terms of fitness. Ideally a 5km race, there's one on the other side of the county but it's at a time that doesn't suit. So failing that a parkrun, and if that doesn't work out then just a time trial 

Monday

PM: 45 ish minutes easy

10.5km @ 4:49/km or 7:45/mi

Planned 60 minutes easy... Another doggy story. As I was passing a house with a very friendly dog which ran out on the road and started to run a head of me. I tried to get him to go home a few times but he kept running ahead of me and wouldn't let me catch him. Anyway 2km later I caught him then I abandoned my run and brought him home which was another 2km walk. I was going to walk him back to his house but I wasn't sure if anyone was home and then he'd follow me again. So when I got to my house I put him in the car and drove him back to his home to a very happy owner. My back was killing me trying to hold and walk the big bouncy dog for 2km without a lead.

Tuesday

PM: 30 minutes shake out with strides

The plan for Wednesday was to run a very low key 5km race to gauge the fitness for training paces. On this run my back was a bit sore from hauling that dog the previous day. A bit of a sniffle too.

6.23km @ 4:52/km or 7:50/mi with 6x20 seconds strides included

Wednesday

Woke up feeling a bit rough, sniffles, head cold... Done a few covid tests all negative. During the afternoon I thought I'd be able to race today but I was feeling worse as the day went on so I abandoned all my plans are just rested.

Thursday

Similar to yesterday. Head cold etc more covid tests still negative. Another rest day.

Friday

Another rest day... feeling okay... negative again..

I got very cold walking that dog home on Monday which is what I'm thinking how I got sick. I was worried I caught covid at our baby's Christening last Saturday and I'm still treating it like I've covid. I'm hoping to run a short easy run tomorrow or maybe Sunday but I'll see how it goes. My back is fine again too...

Advertisement