Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

4 5ks and 2 parkruns......that's 5 more 5ks than I've ran this year! :) that's probably part of the reason I'm not overly fond of the distance. I definitely won't get better at racing it by not racing it :( you're flying at the moment, great consistency going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Agree with Healy. You'll only get better by running so many of those. 5ks are a bi*ch of a distance. They're unpopular for a reason. You're going great. Very solid consistency in your last few. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Cheers lads. I used to see 5k races as something to do to help me with the longer stuff, a necessary evil you might say. I wouldn't say I hated them but i disliked them. But now they're my favourite race. Less recovery time compared to 10 mile or a half meaning you can race more often. I'd say if I had the opportunity to race even shorter stuff I'd probably like it too. Also this week I've been listening to Stephen Scullions pod casts. They're short enough but definitely worth a listen
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/239467/902424-mental-aspect-of-running-it-s-only-running-one-foot-in-front-of-the-other

Me and you are one and the same haha. I view it exactly the same way although I've developed a gra for the 10M/HM distance too. Would definitely try the shorter stuff too like indoor/track

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cheers lads. I used to see 5k races as something to do to help me with the longer stuff, a necessary evil you might say. I wouldn't say I hated them but i disliked them. But now they're my favourite race. Less recovery time compared to 10 mile or a half meaning you can race more often. I'd say if I had the opportunity to race even shorter stuff I'd probably like it too. Also this week I've been listening to Stephen Scullions pod casts. They're short enough but definitely worth a listen
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/239467/902424-mental-aspect-of-running-it-s-only-running-one-foot-in-front-of-the-other

Super podcasts so far - also signed up for the email :)

• Advertisement

My goals and targets for 2018 were the following.

1) Keep running. I would love to double my milage for 2017 just over 1000km ish. But I'll take what I get.
    2) Sub 18 running for 5km with a target of 17:30 ish
    3) Sub 30 8km but not planning much races over 5k.

Not so much goals but things I want to do.

(i) Continue to help out behind the scenes with my club, marshal duty, C25k couching, etc.
    (ii) Try and get a XC team at our club, no interest for it at the moment.

January

As I continued my rehab on my achillies I continued to increase my mileage. I ran 5 days a week for 3 out of the 4 weeks. I was also helping out with our clubs couch to 5k programme but I didn't count his mileage in my log as it walking/very slow jogging. 230km for the month no races.

February

I didn't increase my mileage in February just 213km. I didn't want to just keep increasing it, I just wanted to get my achilles used to roughly 50km a week while pushing a little harder in training and dipping my toe at racing again. In the first week of February I had a local 5k race. It was a out and back course with strong enough head winds coming back. 18:51 was my time. I wasn't happy with the time but glad to get through it and no major inflammation of my achillies. Two weeks later I ran my 3rd parkrun 19:01 and 1st place. It was a good workout but I was aiming sub 19 that day. I continued to help out with our c25k programme twice a week in February.

March

I had two races in March my goal spring race of Dunboyne 4mile I was happy with this performance 24:10 but I was still thinking I could have done better. Less than a week later on Good Friday another local 5km. Big climb for the first mile to 2km mark but a nice course after that my time was 18:44. On St Patricks my club run a 10km and 5km so our c25k programme finished with that race. Its always a busy few days leading up to our race but a great day and well worth it in the end. 237km for March total.

April

In April I knuckled down and concentrated on my own training more so with our C25k programme over, longer evenings, and gaining confidence in my achillies. Training 5 days a week consistently with two sessions. Just one race at the end of the month. It was a local 8k race I was determined to finish top three and get a personal CR. Its a very challenging course but the last kilometer is very fast. I was delighted to finish 3rd in a time of 30:52 which was a personal CR. I clocked up 303.5km for the month too.

May

Feeling confident after that local 8k I had a target of sub 30 for Terenure 5 miler. The week before the race I donated blood, it was a very stressful week at work too with very little sleep. So the race was a disaster in near perfect conditions. 31:18 was my time. It was a good lesson I got over it quickly and knuckled down for the rest of the month and continued to train 5 days a week with two sessions. At the end of the month I had a wobble at training that meant I missed 4 days running in that last week. 294km for the month.

June

That niggle I picked up meant a cut back in training but after the initial 4 day rest with some help from Mayo Sports Clinic I slowly built it up again. I tried to keep the quality and cut back on the easy and long runs. I had one 5k race at the middle of the month it was a local 5k I finished in a time of 18:20. A few days later I did another 5k in horrible conditions on not a very nice course 18:46. It was more a show of club colours to support our neighbours so I wasn't concerned about the time, more to beat my buddy. My distance for the month was 235km

July

I still had some issues with that niggle but I was able to manage it and continued to carefully build up the mileage again. On the 4th of July I did my first session with Dermots crew. This was a real eye opener and I think a game changer for the rest of the year. I found the step up hard but in time it became enjoyable. I had the day of the Irish PB's 5k race in the second week. Looking back now I can say I wasn't near ready for that race. I had notions of 17:30 and I genuinely felt I had a shot. I struggled with the heat and around 2km in stepped on a disgarded bottle then got clipped from behind causing a wobble and went over in my ankle. If it was a road race I might have tried to run it off but with that niggle I picked up in June flashing up in my mind and no place to hid as I slowed down to see how it felt I decided to DNF. Gutted. Horrible feeling, no place to hid on the track. For the rest of the month I just concentrated on good quality training. 250km for the month.

August

Started the month with a holiday. I got in a few hot and hungover runs. I got off the plane changed and raced a 17:51 Streets of Sligo PB. Delighted to get under 18 again. Good solid training for the rest of the month up to six days a week training with 316km

September

Plenty of races in September all on heavy legs as the sessions picked up. A local 5k 18:00 and I dipped my toe into the world of XC that I really enjoyed but unfortunately it never materialise for me. I had hoped to race more xc races. The end of September saw my goal race for the year Rathfarham 5k with a PB in 17:41 I was happy to PB but I thought I could do better at the time. 286km for the month.

October

Solid month 353km on the clock. One 10km at the start of the month. League race so even though I hadn't 10kms in mind or as a goal it was a show of club colours. Horrible conditions, hilly course, and very heavy legs. My first 10km in over 2 years but I got a PB 38:29. After that race I just focused on training out six days a week.

November

Another solid month training with one 10km race towards the end of the month. It was a club outting so again not a major goal but I had hoped for a sub 37 but I came home in 37:14 which was a PB. I was happy enough with that. 300km for the month.

December

The month started off with Jingle Bells 5k I finished with a PB in 17:35. On the Monday after the race I hurt my back at work, for the second time this year it meant I had no running for four consecutive days. 8 Days after my Jingle Bells 5k PB I equalled my PB with another 17:35. I hit 2000 miles for 2018 on Christmas day then on St Stephen's day a local 5k fun run on a awful course 18:19. I finished 4th, it was a nice blow out after all the excess. I finished off the month with another 5k race four days later in a time of 17:43. To much racing in December if I'm honest I jnew before hand I wouldn't be able to race my best in them all.

Overall I'm delighted with my comeback year! I had a goal in January of 2000km for the year. But I broke it down. My first aim was for 1000km then 1000 miles I hit that in July then after that my target rose to 2000km, then 3000km, then 2000miles. I only missed out on two four consecutive days running in total. If you told that's all I'd miss back in the start of 2018 I would believe you.

As said at the start of this long post for races in 2018 my goals were to work on shorter stuff. Mainly 5km races but also 5mile/8km. I wanted to push for a 17:30ish 5km which you could say I missed out on that slightly (the ish gives me some wriggle room) but to go from a 18:51 February 5km to 2x 17:35 December 5km's is good progress in my book. I had a mini goal of a sub 30 5mile/8km but I only ran two races this distance in the first quarter of the year. I should have got it in Terenure but enough about that disaster. I wanted to run more cross country but it didn't work out but it wasn't for the lack of trying.

My highlights of the year would have to be April's local 8km on a very hilly course finishing 3rd in 30:52 against some good competition. Joining Dermots training group has been a major highlight, no looking back. The streets of Sligo 5k. Great support, brilliant race and course. It was my first sub 18 since 2016. And I also love races where we have good numbers from our club. Rathfarnham 5k again another PB and another great race. Annagassan 10k. Not a goal race but a delighted to PB and a great weekend with the club. And finally although I didn't quite race as good as I should have Jingle Bells 5k.

Its mental to think I've raced 18 times in 2018. Yes 18! Thats excluding a DNF and 3 parkruns. Now not all of them were balls out racing. Still 18 freakin' races, 12 of which were 5k races. Also a total of 2376km

In the goals for 2019 thread I said
    For me I'd like to run 2000 miles or 3218.688km :pac: I might be a bit short on that this year but in and around the same. Why do I put distance ahead of PB's? Because to run this kind of distance it will mean the consistency of running 5 to 6 days a week, the PB's will follow. I will have to stay fairly injury free to run that distance, and finally I just love running :)

The focus will be to continue 5km to 10km racing with Dunshaughlin 10k, Rathfarham 5k in my sights. I've also some unfinished business in the Terenure 5mile after this years disaster.

Away from running my diet hasn't been hectic the past six months, so I need to improve there. Also I'm not as good as I used to be at strength work/gym
    I hope to improve on that department too.

Happy running everyone in 2019

I guess if I'm been really honest I want a low 17 5k and mid to low 36 10k. But I don't think I should put an exact time on a goal. I don't think I'll race Den Haag Half Marathon now as I don't think my achillies with withstand the training load. I will be racing the 10k instead (I have to talk to some people in the new year to confirm this) I guess try and be sensible as possible with my running, especially with my achillies starting to remind me of what happened in 2016. If circumstances allow I'm going to knuckle down and try harder to improve.

I probably should change my username as I've no interest of going down the marathon route at thid moment.

Happy new year. :)

Great year man. Fantastic comeback and progress and a lot more to come with that level of consistency. From now on you shall be known at Mellow Yellow 3.11. Haha. Seems like me and you are on similar paths albeit my main focus being 10k but we defiitely have similar targets. All the best for 2019.

MONDAY

New years eve

AM: Easy run 11km @4:53/km on a mix of trail and road.

TUESDAY

New years day

AM: Easy 15km @4:32/km on the roads. Bit nippy but feeling good.

WEDNESDAY

Back to reality...

PM: Wednesday workout 6x6 minutes with 2 minutes off recovery target pace was 10mile but I was a little bit faster than I should be... Probably closer to 10k race pace. I wasn't really looking at my watch, more by feel. Solo effort, I had some issues with my Garmin. Anyone following me on Strava might have thought it was two separate sessions.

4km warm up with the usual drills and strides.

Paces for each 6 minutes

3:42/km, 3:40/km, 3:36/km, 3:40/km, 3:41/km, 3:39/km

3km cool down.

THURSDAY

Rest.

FRIDAY

PM: Easy 60ish minutes 12km @4:53/km on the roads.

SATURDAY

PM: (mid afternoon) Broken tempo of 8x1km with 60 seconds jog recovery target was to start at 4:00/k and work down to 3:50/k

I did my warm up and most my cool down on the roads/footpaths. But my main session on was trail. The trail was resurfaced before Christmas. So it isn't very compacted at the moment of fine gravel/sand. It's a 1km loop with a slight hill. Its a nice place for tempo sessions, probably not for speed work as the surface isn't very responsive. Anyway enough blabbering...

3km warm up with the usual drills and strides. Probably spent a bit longer than usual on my drills.

Splits for the 8x1km tempo.

3:57
    3:51
    3:55
    3:56
    3:55
    3:56
    3:50
    3:51

2.7km cool down.

Total 15.4km

SUNDAY

AM: 18.6km @5:01/km on the roads.

I met the lads for this run. I didn't know they were doing a session, if I did I probably would have just gone out on my own. They were doing 5x2km @4:20/k with 1km recovery. I stuck with them for 3 sets and ran the rest easy back to the car. I didn't sleep good last night and I woke up feeling crummy I think I'm getting a head cold I hope I shake it off quickly.

Total distance this week
    89.5km

That run new years day and my warm up on Wednesday was longer than my usual which added a few more kilometres then planned. Doing a bit of S&C work every day, not very structured but I'll work on that.

Chatting with the boss. I'm going racing Den Haag half marathon off 10k training and a longer session every second week. It will be good training going into my 10k block. Raheny 5mile on the 27th too. Also my clubs c25k program is starting Sunday I've been asked to help but more so with our novices 5 to 10k. I prefer to help the c25k crew but hey. Busy schedule ahead.

Chatting with the boss. I'm going racing Den Haag half marathon off 10k training and a longer session every second week. It will be good training going into my 10k block. Raheny 5mile on the 27th too. Also my clubs c25k program is starting Sunday I've been asked to help but more so with our novices 5 to 10k. I prefer to help the c25k crew but hey. Busy schedule ahead.

Moving away from the 5k stuff for a while so? Interesting we end up on similar paths even when we don't intend to. Haha

• Advertisement

From March to June 10k with Dunshaughlin the goal race. Then the summer of 5ks Streets of Sligo and Rathfarham the goal races but plenty of other 5ks on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Any accommodation booked?

OOnegative wrote:

Chez Tang

Chez Tang

More than welcome he is.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I think the club booked the Holiday Inn but I'll have to check :D

I think the club booked the Holiday Inn but I'll have to check :D

Perfect, that was going to be my recommendation. Short walk to start & finish.

Started the week with a visit to the doctor on Monday. I got an infection in my eye brought on from my head cold. He put me on antibiotic drops. The head cold cleared up quite quickly. Seemed to be gone by Monday evening.

I registered for Den Haag Half Marathon this week. While I'll be giving it a honest effort, it will be off 10k training so I don't expect much. Ideally I'll like to be in a position where I'm targeting sub 80 minutes before going into half marathon racing but I'm not at that level yet. I suppose I'll aim for sub 83 but I'll see how the next few weeks go.

MONDAY

Rest from running but home gym work.

TUESDAY

AM: Easy run on trail 13.1km @4:49/km

WEDNESDAY

PM: 8km tempo followed with 8x100mts sprints. Target 3:55-4:00/km on the tempo. I did this workout on the trail.

3.1km warm up, drills, strides, etc

8km tempo
    31:40

I found this a hard session. On a gravel trail so meant I was working harder than on the road or track. I could feel Mondays squats and deadlifts too. Dermot reckons the gravel trail can be up to 7 seconds per kilometre in a difference between the road.

The sprints at the end were all at a sub 3:00/k pace. I was using my watch not an actual measurement for the 100mts.

3.3km cool down

The session was 17km total

THURSDAY

PM: Easy run on the roads 14.1km @4:52/km

Tired legs today and I didn't sleep good the previous night.

FRIDAY

PM: Easy run on footpaths around town 10km @5:02/km

Still tired. I've found this week hard enough so far. I haven't been sleeping good and I think my body fighting an infection too hasn't helped. I'm mindful of that and have to watch it.

SATURDAY

I had a good nights sleep then Saturday started off with a slow 5km walk. My next door neighbour is on operation transformation on RTE. Our club were asked to get involved. Massive turnout. So that put my Saturday session back a bit.

PM:2 mile steady followed by 5x 3 minutes hill repeats. Target for the steady 2 miles was 4:10/k then a hard honest consistent effort on the hills. Sub 4:00/km pace. Recovery on the hills 3 minutes back.

3.4km warm up, usual drills etc

2 mile steady
    (13:14) around 4:07/km pace

5x3 minutes hills average paces

3:47/km
    3:52/km
    3:55/km

I was a bit generous with my recovery on those hills, closer to 4 minutes. But important to get the quality in. I felt strong and fresh on todays session. The best all week.

3.1km cool down

The session was 17.5km total. Maybe I should look at my warm up and cool down distances for longer sessions. Although I find 3k/2mile ideal.

SUNDAY

NOON: 22km @4:46/km on roads and some gravel lanes.

The boys were heading off at 7am this morning for their run, so along with yesterday's session in the afternoon I pushed back my long run a few hours to catch up on some sleep. I felt very good on this run and quite strong and fresh. I thought yesterday's hills would taken more affect on my legs.

I finished off the week helping out the club with c25k/5-10k beginners. More of a gentle jog than a run. It probably helped loosen out the legs after the week.
    4.2km @6:42/km

Total distance this week
    94km running but 98.2km including the 5-10k training.

So like I've said I've been asked to help out with our clubs c25k and novice 5-10k training. I think I have to be a bit selfish so I've said I'll take the novices out on Thursdays but not Sundays. It's just too much with my long run, although I did help today. It was the first night and needed help assigning groups etc.

MONDAY

Rest from running, gym.

TUESDAY

PM: Easy run on the roads 12.7km @4:50/km

WEDNESDAY

PM: 5x 1 mile off 2 minutes recovery. Target 5:50 on the track. B&A crew

3.2km warm up, drills, strides, etc

5x 1mile splits
    5:52
    5:50
    5:48

I ate a bit late I definitely could feel it. Hail stones, rain, and wind so our cool down was cut short.

1.9km cool down

The session was 13.5km total

THURSDAY

I made the effort to get up early so get my run in as I'm helping with club 5-10k training but I was quite stiff at my achilles after Wednesdays session so back to bed.

PM: Easy run around town 2.6km @4:43/km "warm up" ...
    5.4km @6:04/km novice training
    9.7km @4:47/km "cool down"...

I'm going to change how I do this...

FRIDAY

Again I thought about a AM run but the place was covered in snow so back to bed.

PM: Easy run on the roads 11km @4:55/km

I could feel my achilles for the first 2 to 3k...

SATURDAY

One of my wifes friends was over for the weekend. So I was asked to bring her to a parkrun. I didn't mind swapping my session from Saturday to Sunday after Fridays easy run as I could feel my achilles. I paced her for 31 minutes her PB before today was 33 something

AM: Loughkey parkrun 5km in 30:54 @6:11/km

I've been having some niggles in my achilles lately. I retired two pairs of 12mm drop shoes recently and had been using mainly 8mm drop shoes for easy runs. I had a voucher from runpod.ie so I called in and decided to get gait analysis. Last time I got gait analysis was in Amphibianking in 2015. They recommend a stability shoe but I have been racing and doing sessions in a neutral shoe the past six months. Anyway I still have a very slight overpronation in my left foot but it is very slight so I was recommended a neutral shoe. Brooks ghost 11. I was a notorious heel striker in the past but since my achilles injury I have spent a lot of time trying to correct that and in the past year I noticed that my runners don't wear on the heel like they once did. I don't know if its possible to correct a overpronation or not but I'm going to give these neutral shoes a go. I think the drop and comfort is most important...

SUNDAY

NOON: 14km easy, followed by 6km tempo. Target 4:00/km for the tempo on the roads.

14km easy was around 4:45/km except on the last kilometer where I started to pick it up to 4:31/km

6km tempo splits
    4:02
    3:59
    3:58
    3:58
    4:02
    3:57

3km cool down

Achilles felt ok. I did this on a out and back route which was fairly flat. I wore the Brooks Ghost 11. Probably not the best way to try out a new pair of runners but no issues. They were very comfortable. Towards the end of my workout the wind and hailstones picked up. My cool down couldn't finish fast enough I was freezing. 3°C when I sat in the car but with the wind and hail if felt colder.

Total session 23km @4:33/km.

I gave c25k a miss this evening. It's not my night to help but if you can help out its welcomed.

Total distance this week 83.1km a little bit shorter than planned. No harm with the last two weeks going a bit over my planned distance.

My achilles felt fine this morning

I wore stability shoes for ages, but had a gait analysis done in the Run Hub and similar to you, its a mild overpronation in 1 foot.
    I was also recommended to wear neutrals and have been wearing them for more than a year with no issues. (All brands - Asics/Nike/OnCloud/Skechers/NB)

I wore an old pair of stability shoes recently and they felt so weird!!

Best of luck tomorrow, run well!!

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing how you get on today. Best advice I'd give you is latch on to Healy and hang on for dear life. Haha

Thanks lads. 29:06

Gotta be happy with that? Tipping along nicely. Nice one man.

Oh yeah happy alright a big PB. I was aiming for sub 29 just a few seconds off it but I'm happy with that result. I'll put that down to the head wind in St Anne's for missing that sub 29 :D Great race I really enjoyed it.

Contender for race report of the year.

MONDAY

Rest from running, gym.

TUESDAY

PM: Easy run on the roads 9.7km @4:49/km

WEDNESDAY

PM: 6x1km with 100 mts shuffle recovery. Target 3:40-3:45 on the track. B&A crew

3km warm up, drills, strides, etc

6x 1km splits
    3:43
    3:44
    3:44
    3:45

Downpour for the entire session but no wind. It felt quite comfortable

2.6km cool down

The session was 12.5km total

THURSDAY

Beginners 5 to 10k training with the club.

I bought a pair of Nike Zoom Fly SP fast on sale I wasn't expecting them to arrive for the Raheny 5 but they came today so not an ideal way to test them as they are made for speed. But as soon as they came I wanted to see how they would be for racing so test run tonight

PM: Easy run around town 3.6km @4:34/km "warm up"
    6.9km @6:21/km novice training
    2.4km @4:56/km "cool down"

The shoes felt different to any of my racers. I really like them

FRIDAY

Rest.

SATURDAY

Rest.

I had hoped to do 20 minutes easy with some strides but it was quite dangerous out. Lots of trees and branches falling so I gave it a miss.

SUNDAY

Raheny 5 mile

I woke early with the intention of doing a little shakeout but it was still stormy outside so I just done some gentle activations inside.

We were suppose to travel up to Dublin Saturday morning to visit friends but a change of plan which suited me. The 3pm start meant I could take my time going up.

I was up in great time I arrived in Raheny after one and parked around 500mts from the start line. I wandered around and got a feel of the place, then watched some of the kids races. At two I started my warm up of 3km. For the first km my warm up felt quite forced I deliberately ran a bit faster to shake that off and it seemed to work. I then did some activations and drills. I went back to the car after half past and got rid of the layers and changed into my racers. I had hoped to do some strides but when I got to the start line I noticed the pen was filling up this was around 2:45 so I thought it was better to get up near the front then doing strides. Looking back I think this was a good idea I wasn't happy with my positioning for Rathfarham or Jingle Bells but today I ended up close enough to the front.

I still race in kms even though it's a mile race...

Off we go... Nice swift start I was passing a few but most around me were running at a 3:30/k pace. A car obviously went through a check point which was quite dangerous then there was a fall but none of them affected me thanks to the shouts ahead. Cheers lads. I knew the first km would be fast I had planned 3:30-3:32/k I didn't want to burn out going off too quick but sometimes when I travel for races I can be a bit slugish starting off. Not this time, 3:31 perfect. Now it's time to settle and get into a rhythm my aim for the second km was 3:36. I actually passed a lot of runners in this km I was happy how it went I felt good 3:37 for the second km. Into the 3rd km the race seemed to open up a bit I lost my concentration a bit here but towards the end of this km I got my **** together 3:43. Not happy with that. I dug a bit deeper and decided to catch a group a head of me, the wind was on my back here 3:29 for the 4th km.

I was a bit concerned I'd blow up if I kept this pace going into the 5th km but the group I was running with settled a bit here. I noticed AMK running beside me here I thought I latch on to him for as long as I could 3:39 and 18:00 on the 5km mark. Into St Annes I knew I'd be hitting a head wind I lost AMK here 3:41 for this km. This was the hardest part of the race, again I lost my concentration I was glad to get to the turn point in St Annes. I had given up with trying to hold onto AMK the 7th 3:45. I told myself come on dig deep. I was a little disappointed with my final km but it was still solid as there was a head wind going up Wades avenue. The last km was 3:34. I finished in 29:06 a big PB I wanted sub 29 but I was delighted with myself I think I ran a very good race overall.

After I composed myself I saw AMK sitting on the kerb I was on my way over to introduce myself when I bumped into my buddy from Raheny he got a sub 27 then one of the girls I train with, she got a sub 32. So I miss AMK after all that.

We did our cool down together a nice 4.5km and bumped into another girl from her club who ran a sub 30.

I can understand some of the criticism of the race on boards about the pen at the start and the congestion but some of it is over the top. It was a excellent race and given the numbers and it been organised by a club with volunteers I'd give it top marks. There's a reason why it's so popular and it gets so many club runners from every county in the country.

On the Nike Zoom Flys they felt great to race in, maybe not for everyone. I can only imagine how the 4% feel maybe I'll get a pair of the 5%'s when the drop later in the year...

3.2km warm up

Raheny 5 mile

4.5km cool down

Total distance this week 51.2km

My achilles felt great all week and even this morning after yesterdays race. I think the 12mm drops in the Brooks for my easy runs are helping alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Was just browsing the Raheny Flickr page...a couple of good pics of you on the finishing straight. Looking strong to be fair!

I was asked today why do I travel to Dublin just to run a 5k or 5mile. Its quite simple you just don't get that quality in races at home. Ok there are a few but its rare. The courses in the east are always very fair, its another thing we struggle with here. And then theres the weather. Its actually like another country. I still love racing at home but its good to every once in a while to get to the big well organised races in the Greater Dublin area. I'll see how things go and schedules but I'm thinking Dunshaughlin and Terenure

Hey - that's a great report, pity I missed you - be good to say hello properly.

I understand what you mean by fearing a blow up - I felt that exact way a few times.

BTW - the 4%'s felt just Fine! Its amazing that a shoe so cushioned can be so responsive.
    I've about 10 miles in mine and there's bad scuffing on the sole already!!

Great race, captured it very well in the report - Must actually catch up some time!!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Was just browsing the Raheny Flickr page...a couple of good pics of you on the finishing straight. Looking strong to be fair!
    It didn't feel it:pac:

Advertisement