Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

thejuggler wrote: »
    Was there an announcement on this? Can’t find anything online.

This was it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Hmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

"Events Centre will cost more than what was originally envisaged" is the headline

Full article including update on the Events Centre project is via below Echo online link

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Events-Centre-will-cost-more-than-what-was-originally-envisaged-16109861-6ad4-4cc2-9bee-3144fe8e308b-ds

Smoke and mirrors. It's just all talk until there are actual diggers and cranes on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

All talk no action.
    City council have proven themselves unable to manage this. Why are they now in control of the whole thing?
    This is years away yet (if it ever happens)

• Advertisement

All talk no action.
    City council have proven themselves unable to manage this. Why are they now in control of the whole thing?

It looks like money can now come from the Dept of Housing and Local Government direct to the Council if they are in charge without contravening the tendering process. So putting the council in charge is necessary. That's my reading anyway. Still all talk until something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

All talk no action.

Summer 2020 if no appeals, so ya 2021 realistically I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I can't see this ending well for anyone.. (except BAM), yeah we'll provide the site, you pay us to build it... You're responsible for overruns, oh and for all the access bridges Ect... And then you give it back to us to run...
    It cost how much - we could have built a children's hospital for that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I can't see this ending well for anyone.. (except BAM), yeah we'll provide the site, you pay us to build it... You're responsible for overruns, oh and for all the access bridges Ect... And then you give it back to us to run...
    It cost how much - we could have built a children's hospital for that...

I was with you till the final line, the children's hospital is costing billions

Anybody know when the decision is due on this from a planning perspective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Shovels in the ground any day now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I thought they spray the weeds these days 😉

Yeah, any day at all

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Tuesday apparently........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

There is a massive lift shaft being constructed there at the moment in the area closest to Barrack street...wonder is it for an event centre or more student apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Couldn't be the Event Centre as it hasn't got planning yet. You're saying i's between the Counting House and Barrack St?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

TheChizler wrote: »
    Couldn't be the Event Centre as it hasn't got planning yet. You're saying i's between the Counting House and Barrack St?

If you are standing with your back to Fort Elizabeth its on the left hand side. Cant miss it, huge concrete structure scaffolding all around it. Hope this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Echo wrote:
    PLANNING permission has been granted for the events centre on the former Beamish & Crawford brewery site. The 6,000-capacity concert and conference venue proposal from construction company Bam was given the approval by City Hall planners this week.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-has-granted-planning-permission-for-the-updated-events-centre--506b361d-41f4-4da5-b3bb-dcb12f821cca-ds

Dbu wrote: »
    If you are standing with your back to Fort Elizabeth its on the left hand side. Cant miss it, huge concrete structure scaffolding all around it. Hope this makes sense
    That's the office block in the middle portion of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

....yawn...really?....yeah, right!

Show me actual progress first...until then...zzzzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I suppose an appeal to an board Pleanála is inevitable?

thejuggler wrote: »
    I suppose an appeal to an board Pleanála is inevitable?

That it is.
    Then after that a possible legal objection from hoteliers down in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Terrible looking design in fairness.

kub wrote: »
    That it is.
    Then after that a possible legal objection from hoteliers down in Killarney.

Killarney? Really? There has been no indication that such an objection might be forthcoming. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I don't know about the rest of us but they definitely know more about sarcasm than yourself....

Killarney? Really? There has been no indication that such an objection might be forthcoming. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Possible legal action, I read about it months ago but I have no idea where, apparently some of them are concerned about the implications the Event Centre might have on the INEC, most importantly on their business.

kub wrote: »
    Possible legal action, I read about it months ago but I have no idea where, apparently some of them are concerned about the implications the Event Centre might have on the INEC, most importantly on their business.

There would be zero legal basis for that.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There would be zero legal basis for that.

I imagine the extra state aid given after the tender process would be the base of their objection?

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    I imagine the extra state aid given after the tender process would be the base of their objection?

Well if the endless legal advice that was provided over this didn't manage to cover this off in a legally sound way, those legal advisors should be debarred.

Advertisement