Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

We don't have any events centre movement so it's not fair to complain about the public transport options for it (yet).
    And this is a key point. If we eventually get the Event Center, it creates an extra demand for public transport (esp given the location). It doesn't necessarily equate to Bus Eireann providing a better service, but it does put significant pressure on them to provide it. That said, this project still look dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

I don't see this being funded tbh. The government just isn't interested in the project. That's fairly obvious. It's the same with the roads issues in Cork - they're all stalled.

It seems, despite huge private money pouring into various major projects on the docks, there's no political will to drive any infrastructural development in Cork.

FG should, but probably won't, lose seats over it as people seem to just zombie vote down here in recent years.

I honestly think if the event centre doesn't get over the line, Coveney will be in serious trouble at the next election. People are looking at this as a symbol of the state's intentions to really develop and invest in Cork. Remember it's been a long time since there has a major infrastructural investment in Cork (over 10 years) and as a Senior Cabinet Minister he needs to deliver. Coupled with the current shambles of the M20, N28 (not his fault), probable delays to M22 and the Dunkettle Interchange all the talk of plans remain that without state investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

rebs23 wrote: »
    I honestly think if the event centre doesn't get over the line, Coveney will be in serious trouble at the next election. People are looking at this as a symbol of the state's intentions to really develop and invest in Cork. Remember it's been a long time since there has a major infrastructural investment in Cork (over 10 years) and as a Senior Cabinet Minister he needs to deliver. Coupled with the current shambles of the M20, N28 (not his fault), probable delays to M22 and the Dunkettle Interchange all the talk of plans remain that without state investment.

Am I correct in thinking that the last infastructrual investment down here was the over passes of the Kinsale and Bishopstown roundabouts on the N40 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

kub wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that the last infastructrual investment down here was the over passes of the Kinsale and Bishopstown roundabouts on the N40 ?

Yes, last large scale infrastructural investment anyway.
    Lots of smaller projects like Kent Station entrance realignment etc have gone ahead.
    Páirc Ui Chaoimh has also been completed, but I don't think that counts as public infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kub wrote: »

Kinsale opened in 2006 and Sarsfield Road/Bishopstown ones were 2013. In between you had the Midleton rail line reopening in 2009 and that's about it from a largish scale public investment in Cork for the last decade or so. Unless I'm missing something....it's utterly pathetic.

• Advertisement

Páirc Ui Chaoimh has also been completed, but I don't think that counts as public infrastructure.
    Pity there wasn’t as much public oversight for the tax payer money for PUC, the ridiculous over spend (and how exactly it was spent) might have been avoided.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Kinsale opened in 2006 and Sarsfield Road/Bishopstown ones were 2013. In between you had the Midleton rail line reopening in 2009 and that's about it from a largish scale public investment in Cork for the last decade or so. Unless I'm missing something....it's utterly pathetic.

Nope your not missing anything.

Aside from the M8 and the roundabouts on the N40 that should have been grade separated from day 1, the last major road to open in Cork was the Ballincollig bypass in December 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

marno21 wrote: »
    Nope your not missing anything.

Aside from the M8 and the roundabouts on the N40 that should have been grade separated from day 1, the last major road to open in Cork was the Ballincollig bypass in December 2004

Was also trying to think, since the founding of the State the Midleton line reopening in 2009 is the only piece of "big" dedicated public transport infrastructure built in Cork by an Irish government in c.100 years. Can't think of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Was also trying to think, since the founding of the State the Midleton line reopening in 2009 is the only piece of "big" dedicated public transport infrastructure built in Cork by an Irish government in c.100 years. Can't think of anything else.

Jack Lynch Tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Jack Lynch Tunnel?

I was thinking of a myriad of other transport infrastructure projects also but they're all personal motorised transport rather than public transport.

Mary Elmes and Millennium bridges were at least two sustainable transport infrastructure projects. Not in the same league as the roads infrastructure spending obviously.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of a myriad of other transport infrastructure projects also but they're all personal motorised transport rather than public transport.

Sorry. Missed the public part.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Sorry. Missed the public part.

The new airport terminal counts as public transport, I suppose. But the point remains, very little investment in mass public transport in Cork in recent years.
    Could P&R sites near either end of the 220 route be a good low-cost piece of infrastructure? Land costs would be relatively cheap, and they would would drive further increases of usage on the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It is never going to happen. That whole site is eventually going to become student housing. Which I suspect was the ulterior plan all along.

They will have a handy excuse now whenever those farcical reports are ready

They will blame the economic shock of Brexit and will say they cannot afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Im just beginning to wonder is it the City council that are not interested in this project now.

Dbu wrote: »
    Im just beginning to wonder is it the City council that are not interested in this project now.

Its absolutely bewildering that at the last minute they decide they want an NIS, they'd ample time after the Morrison's Island finding to figure out one was required.
    A quick phone call, unsolicited further information lands, and we're back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

Roar wrote: »
    It is never going to happen. That whole site is eventually going to become student housing. Which I suspect was the ulterior plan all along.
    This should definitely not be allowed to happen. If the event centre isn't built then permission shouldn't be given to put anything there other than a park or something that's of benefit to the public. Pitch the marquee there. If they allow BAM to have their way it makes a mockery (if further mockery can be made) of our city planning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Its absolutely bewildering that at the last minute they decide they want an NIS, they'd ample time after the Morrison's Island finding to figure out one was required.
    A quick phone call, unsolicited further information lands, and we're back on track.
    Let's be honest, this is a f....up by City Council or deliberate action to delay.

Let's be honest, this is a f....up by City Council or deliberate action to delay.

Starting to look that way.
    Either deliberate or incompetent. Either way, this is on them, and BAM gets a pass.

• Advertisement

There are others as well involved in this mess, it is looking like a deliberate ploy at this stage to kick the Event Centre along to a time when they have a covenient excuse like Brexit to blame for it not going ahead.

Either deliberate or incompetent. Either way, this is on them, and BAM gets a pass.

Apparently, BAM were asked for this report some time ago. That's what I'm hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hadn't been that way for a bit, and drove past this morning.

It looks suspiciously like student apartments by stealth - i.e. the apartments are flying up, and it's easy to envisage a situation where the EC becomes a white elephant and they just continue with another few apartment blocks.

It's a shame someone didn't have the foresight to prevent ANY development until the EC was signed off.

Any hope I had re this is now gone - I cannot seeing the EC being built there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

blindsider wrote: »
    Hadn't been that way for a bit, and drove past this morning.

It looks suspiciously like student apartments by stealth - i.e. the apartments are flying up, and it's easy to envisage a situation where the EC becomes a white elephant and they just continue with another few apartment blocks.

It's a shame someone didn't have the foresight to prevent ANY development until the EC was signed off.

Any hope I had re this is now gone - I cannot seeing the EC being built there now.

Mahon Point 2.0... (that too was to include an Event Centre).

The argument I heard was that the other parts of the development could/should start, and would help fund the event centre development. Plus, of course, the event centre itself was always likely to be the most difficult part of the project with respect to planning, so it made sense not to hold up all development for it.

Except of course, for exactly this reason.

Apparently, BAM were asked for this report some time ago. That's what I'm hearing.

The plot thickens!

That's not what the article states though.
    "It is understood that the requirement for the submission of the NIS only emerged after the developers submitted the FI material."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Both I would say.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Didn't o callaghan have to pay a levy to the council for not building an event centre in mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Thank god it didn’t get built at Mahon Point.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Didn't o callaghan have to pay a levy to the council for not building an event centre in mahon.

Yes. That was the start of the pot of cash for public funding for an event centre. That pot of cash now stands at around 30 million.

Advertisement