Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Acosta wrote: »
    ..Looking at the digital display for upcoming gigs by Lewis Capaldi, The C***ans, Picture This, Maroon 5, Dancing With The Stars , Irelands biggest Panto and the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis wondering what was the bloody point

Nathan Carter for 12 nights only.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-event-centre-update-Once-off-50m-Government-payment-to-recharge-stalled-project-9b02d644-57e8-4b24-ace5-b045e5ac9853-ds

It would be fantastic to see Cork City have it's long awaited Events Centre. I just wonder whether the proposed site is really the most suitable location. I always thought that large numbers of people would have been more suitably accommodated on the original site proposed at Horgan's Quay back around the mid 1990's. The Live at the Marquee site now earmarked for housing/apartments may have been a better location to accommodate such large numbers of attendees. The latest artist impressions published seem out of character in such an old historic part of Cork City looking across from Proby's Quay/French's Quay. How will the transport links cope as the surrounding streets are quite narrow and thronged with vehicles since cycle lanes were installed some years ago.

That all said, whatever happens I hope a final decision is made and the an appropriate development takes place to allow South Main Street, Barrack Street and nearby Grand Parade come back to life again after a long period of decline.

Oh and I am also quite sceptical about this project - Not only will I not believe it until I see it built, I want to see a smooth efficient operation after all the delays/problems associated with such a complicated public/private partnership. This has been a lesson in how NOT to run such a project in the future.

The location is grand. The issue is the Council won't enhance the infrastructure down there to make it a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frederick Clinton Quimby

A black day for all the naysayers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

..Looking at the digital display for upcoming gigs by Lewis Capaldi, The C***ans, Picture This, Maroon 5, Dancing With The Stars , Irelands biggest Panto and the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis wondering what was the bloody point

It's Live Nation so unlikely to be that disappointing

A black day for all the naysayers

Only 4 years late and not a brick has been laid. I wouldn't be celebrating quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The location is grand. The issue is the Council won't enhance the infrastructure down there to make it a success.

Maybe therein lies the problem - One has to wonder if the decision makers chose an inappropriate site first day based on a different outline brief? There were subsequent changes to the original plans.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cinema-dropped-from-Event-Centre-plans-as-Bam-move-ahead-with-the-next-phase-11d75e53-62f5-45a3-bb2f-ded292dfab14-ds

Meanwhile, the whole infrastructure surrounding it does not actually meet the requirements of this project without significant additional investment just to make it work on that particular site.

Could it have been delivered more efficiently and cost effectively in another part of Cork City - probably is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

People like stuff that you don't like. You may have to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

there's no lack of hotel infrastructure in the city, and it's a city centre location more or less, easily within walking distance of patrick street etc. i mean look at where the 3 arena is? the LUAS has only recently serviced that part of the city. there's no major car park down there, never has been. people didn't make an issue of it originally either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

who_ru wrote: »
    there's no lack of hotel infrastructure in the city, and it's a city centre location more or less, easily within walking distance of patrick street etc. i mean look at where the 3 arena is? the LUAS has only recently serviced that part of the city. there's no major car park down there, never has been. people didn't make an issue of it originally either.

Its the mindset is the problem. Sure jaysis how am I mean't to park the landcruiser as close to the entrance as possible! :mad:

Guess what? You don't. You get in a bus and go there, walk in, get a taxi, use park n ride whatever. If you want to park somewhere and be right next to the building go to a shopping center.

Pretty huge gap in hotel infrastructure in the city, especially if this is built without another few being built simultaneously. I think we've had one new hotel open in 20 years in the city centre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    Pretty huge gap in hotel infrastructure in the city, especially if this is built without another few being built simultaneously. I think we've had one new hotel open in 20 years in the city centre
    You'd have to imagine there'll be a new lease of life injected into many of the hotel plans once diggers hit the ground on this though, especially the Sullivan's Quay one given its size and proximity to the venue.

Didn't the Maldron on South Mall only open last year? Also the Clarion/Clayton is relatively recently opened also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Maybe bam will build their hotel on sullivans quay if the event centre happens,sorry just saw marnos post saying same thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The Luas has been operating to and from the 3 Arena site since December 2009. Hardly recently.

Didn't the Maldron on South Mall only open last year? Also the Clarion/Clayton is relatively recently opened also.

Ya the Maldon was the one I was talking about. Clarion opened before the recession about 2003 I think

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ya the Maldon was the one I was talking about. Clarion opened before the recession about 2003 I think
    Opened in 2005.

Quite a long period between the Clarion and the Maldron all the same (both owned by Dalata now).

The Sullivans Quay hotel if it goes ahead will become Cork's biggest hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

We have the dean going up on horgans quay,parnell place one and metropole who knows and others.

marno21 wrote: »
    Opened in 2005.

Quite a long period between the Clarion and the Maldron all the same (both owned by Dalata now).

The Sullivans Quay hotel if it goes ahead will become Cork's biggest hotel.

Spot on regarding opening year of Clarion Hotel Cork - it was officially opened to the public in first quarter of 2005.

The "Clarion" hotel brand in Cork City is currently gone.
    Clarion, Quality & Comfort Inns are some of the brands associated with Choice Hotel Group which is still trading in other locations around Ireland.
    http://choicehotelgroup.ie/about-us/

The Clarion Hotel Cork on Lapps Quay subsequently became the "Clayton Hotel Cork" which is now part of the Dalata Group and you also have the Clayton Hotel Silversprings in Tivoli on the outskirts of the city.
    https://www.claytonhotelcorkcity.com/contact-us/

The Maldron Hotel brand (also part of Dalata Group) is represented by Maldron Hotel Shandon (previously Quality hotel brand) and the new Madron Hotel South Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Is it now a done deal that the Events Centre will go ahead on the Beamish site.
    Say FG and Coveney are not in power after election.
    Are the govt now obliged to give the 50 million ot BAM or could a new govt decide to put it out to tender again.
    How did they get around the issue of awarding a tender and then massively increasing the grant after it was awarded.
    Maybe build it on a site on the docks instead.

robinbird wrote: »
    Is it now a done deal that the Events Centre will go ahead on the Beamish site.
    Say FG and Coveney are not in power after election.
    Are the govt now obliged to give the 50 million ot BAM or could a new govt decide to put it out to tender again.
    How did they get around the issue of awarding a tender and then massively increasing the grant after it was awarded.
    Maybe build it on a site on the docks instead.

You raise a very interesting question indeed.
    Should FF end up leading a new coalition government - which could end up being called with voters going to the polls as early as February/March who knows? Would Mícheál Martin & Michael McGrath risk a local backlash if they questioned the Cork Event Centre project on their own doorstep even if it was in the public interest to reopen the who tendering process once more given problem after problem and requirements for a significant additional injection of public moneys pledged to finally get it over the line.

I often wondered with large numbers of people regularly attending major live music & sports events down by the Marina, one wonders why local authorities like Cork City Council thought South Main Street was the most suitable site option for the current Cork Events Centre project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

You raise a very interesting question indeed.
    Should FF end up leading a new coalition government - which could end up being called with voters going to the polls as early as February/March who knows? Would Mícheál Martin & Michael McGrath risk a local backlash if they questioned the Cork Event Centre project on their own doorstep even if it was in the public interest?

I often wondered with large numbers of people regularly attending major live music & sports events down by the Marina, one wonders why local authorities like Cork City Council thought South Main Street was the most suitable site option for the current Cork Events Centre project.

Well. Giving 50 million to BAM may not be as popular as people seem to think.
    Particularly given the way the tender was awarded and the delays.
    And the ugliness of the design and questions as to the suitability of the location.
    My query is do FF have the discretion to pull the plug and start again at this stage?

robinbird wrote: »
    Well. Giving 50 million to BAM may not be as popular as people seem to think.
    Particularly given the way the tender was awarded and the delays.
    And the ugliness of the design and questions as to the suitability of the location.
    My query is do FF have the discretion to pull the plug and start again at this stage?

I honestly do not know the answer.
    The entire process has been dogged with problems and these public/private partnerships seem to cause many complications. The latest design looks dreadful when you consider this is going on a Viking site in old historic Cork City a stones throw away from Elizabeth Fort, St. Fin Barre's Cathedral etc; They do not seem to have learned much following negative reaction to certain developments intended for the Marsh area of Cork City Centre all those years ago. Local people and the surroundings matter. We all want to see South Main Street and the surrounding areas thrive again and bring in a vibrant entertainment scene by all means but it must either work smoothly in that location or choose a more suitable use for the site that provides other positive benefits not just to developer/business owners but also to local residents, commuters, visitors, customers etc;

https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/environment/2018/1015/1003220-save-cork-marsh/

I recall delay after delay when CIT Cork School of Music were rebuilding their premises on Union Quay with students having to use multiple locations like the former Moore's Hotel etc; for a prolonged period which was far from ideal. That was another public/private partnership if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It could kickstart a lot of new development: the Kingsley extension, the Metropole expansion/redevelopment & the new "M" hotel, the floatel by Horgan's Quay, the Parnell Place hotel, Sullivan's Quay hotel, the hostel on Grand Parade, the small boutique hotel on South Mall..

And that's before mentioning the Maldron is finished(ish), the Dean is well underway and work has just started on the York St. hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

who_me wrote: »
    It could kickstart a lot of new development: the Kingsley extension, the Metropole expansion/redevelopment & the new "M" hotel, the floatel by Horgan's Quay, the Parnell Place hotel, Sullivan's Quay hotel, the hostel on Grand Parade, the small boutique hotel on South Mall..

And that's before mentioning the Maldron is finished(ish), the Dean is well underway and work has just started on the York St. hotel.

If they all get off the ground, it'll be cheaper to live in a hotel in Cork, in a few years, than it is to rent an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If they all get off the ground, it'll be cheaper to live in a hotel in Cork, in a few years, than it is to rent an apartment.

Hahahaha, not far from the truth there ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Acosta

People like stuff that you don't like. You may have to deal with that.

Relax. I'm only having a laugh. I dealt with that long ago. For a university town, most of the great gigs I've been to in Cork over the years have been really poorly attended. And I'll probably never want to see anything in the events centre. Venues like Plugd and the new Kino venue(which has the be the best venue I've ever been to in Cork) are putting on some great gigs lately so I'm happy enough.

IT'S unlikely there will be any significant movement on the events centre project within the next six to eight months.

It is understood that despite a €50m Government once-off payment package being agreed, detailed internal design plans have yet to be put together for the centre

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Construction-start-date-on-events-centre-project-still-months-away-d8835a31-36b7-49af-8dc6-50b5c5cb612a-ds

It's like a very bad joke at this stage. Another 6-8 months for construction to even begin and the internal designs are not in place. This is actually comical.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Construction-start-date-on-events-centre-project-still-months-away-d8835a31-36b7-49af-8dc6-50b5c5cb612a-ds

It's like a very bad joke at this stage. Another 6-8 months for construction to even begin and the internal designs are not in place. This is actually comical.

I know we should be used to it by now but this is depressing reading.

I know we should be used to it by now but this is depressing reading.

Weren't the internal designs cited as the reason for one of the big hold ups a few years ago? Excuses are being recycled at this stage. And I love this part:
    The finer detail of the funding agreement will be signed off over the coming months.

Lining up the next excuse for it not progressing already.

• Advertisement

Walked past this place today. The student apartments look finished. I'm surprised there aren't students moved in already.
    The middle section (offices mainly, I think) is progressing too with a lot of the heavy stuff being done at the moment.
    The event centre is still being used as a storage/parking area. Looks to me like it was always the case that the event centre would come last in this sequence, if at all.

Advertisement