Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

kub wrote: »
    Possible legal action, I read about it months ago but I have no idea where, apparently some of them are concerned about the implications the Event Centre might have on the INEC, most importantly on their business.

The INEC wouldn't have to worry so much if they started catering for an audience under the age of 60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

We should know this week if there have been any appeals against the granting of planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

First time I've seen the lights on in the student flats, guess they'll be taking in paying guests soon.

494576.jpg

And see the clock is ticking on appeals as well, maybe this time construction will start!

No appeals lodged against events centre planning permission: 24 hours to go to deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Good to see. I will say the student block is far better than I expected it to be, not just a horrible brick box. That doesn't mean its the same as a cinema and interpretative center and all the other public use waffle they banged on about to get the site moving, but at least its something. Wouldn't it be great if we saw non-student accommodation built in the volume and places these go in?

ON the event center itself I think its truly show time, if planning goes through then we will see where the hold up is. I have a bean of hope it will start now that construction has naturally has shifted to that side of the site with the counting house getting underway. Pity the South Main street side is so god damn ugly now, but hopefully that just serves as impetus to open up the car park and other sites to development which hides the EC gable end from Sullivans Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

No party involved wants anything to do with this event center, there will be another stumbling block despite all planning/funds being in place. BAM, Live Nation, City Council, Government will do everything to kill this project.

Is it possible they all know that a year round event center just isnt feasible for a city the size of Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So what's the deal now?
    Cork city council is the developer? And bam the contractor?
    but bam own the site, and will still own it afterwards?,
    city is taking responsibility for public realm and bridges Ect,
    Live nation will run the events section? Probably.
    Will city council be on the hook for any operating short fall, will bam still be running the other elements of the site? (isn't their loads of offices Ect...?)
    Who'll own it, be responsible for overruns Ect?

I can see this running as smooth as silk.... For bam. and being unbelievably expensive/difficult for the city!!

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

CHealy wrote: »
    No party involved wants anything to do with this event center, there will be another stumbling block despite all planning/funds being in place. BAM, Live Nation, City Council, Government will do everything to kill this project.

Is it possible they all know that a year round event center just isnt feasible for a city the size of Cork?

If live nation wanted to pull out, what's stopping them? Public opinion in Cork? Same is true to a lesser extent with BAM. The issue is the legal implications of giving extra funding post tender. I have a feeling that all parties know a challenge from Kerry is imminent if this gets the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

namloc1980 wrote: »

An Taisce confirmed they would not object

snotboogie wrote: »
    An Taisce confirmed they would not object

Last minute surprise from them! :P

• Advertisement

Rumor is a developer first party appeal to ABP. Possibly in relation to some of the conditions. It allows for another nice delay if nothing else.

Rumor is a developer first party appeal to ABP. Possibly in relation to some of the conditions. It allows for another nice delay if nothing else.

So another delaying tactic by those involved. All parties should hang their heads in shame.

Yup. Confirmed Bam are appealing the requirement to contribute to the pedestrian bridge to access the site. That's another 18 weeks onto the timeframe so brings us up to March 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yup. Confirmed Bam are appealing the requirement to contribute to the pedestrian bridge to access the site. That's another 18 weeks onto the timeframe so brings us up to March 2020.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Examiner article says this appeal won't really affect any timeline or decision. Only a small hiccup.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/event-centre-developer-to-appeal-bridge-contribution-962367.html?__twitter_impression=true

The Examiner article says this appeal won't really affect any timeline or decision. Only a small hiccup.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/event-centre-developer-to-appeal-bridge-contribution-962367.html?__twitter_impression=true

I think they are being optimistic. It won't affect the decision in that the planning is now granted, but does anyone think Bam will actually start construction when they are on the hook for €1.7m in contributions for bridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I think they are being optimistic. It won't affect the decision in that the planning is now granted, but does anyone think Bam will actually start construction when they are on the hook for €1.7m in contributions for bridges?

It is my understanding that they cannot commence until a final grant has been issued. This cannot happen until the first party appeal is concluded.

mire wrote: »
    It is my understanding that they cannot commence until a final grant has been issued. This cannot happen until the first party appeal is concluded.

ABP process is about 18 weeks so another nice long delay. I think that suits all parties to be honest to keep delaying the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

This has gone beyond ridiculous. Bam own the site, they hold all the cards so let them build whatever. Maybe to save face (and the tax payer money already spent) insist they build or contribute to a smaller gig/performance venue like the 1000 capacity Vicar Street or 600 capacity Academy in Dublin. The closest Cork has is Cyprus Avenue which is 250 capacity and is not a flexible space. – The smaller venue doesn’t even have to be built on that site, maybe utilise one of the derelict sites around the city that the council now own?

Local government should really focus on the loss-making and hideously ugly Merchant’s Quay shopping centre. Bulldoze the bulk of it, keep the car park and build a 5000 capacity Event Centre in its place. There's more than enough room and it's the perfect location between all form of public transport, carparking, restaurants, retail and nightlife.

350125GO! wrote: »
    This has gone beyond ridiculous. Bam own the site, they hold all the cards so let them build whatever. Maybe to save face (and the tax payer money already spent) insist they build or contribute to a smaller gig/performance venue like the 1000 capacity Vicar Street or 600 capacity Academy in Dublin. The closest Cork has is Cyprus Avenue which is 250 capacity and is not a flexible space. – The smaller venue doesn’t even have to be built on that site, maybe utilise one of the derelict sites around the city that the council now own?

Local government should really focus on the loss-making and hideously ugly Merchant’s Quay shopping centre. Bulldoze the bulk of it, keep the car park and build a 5000 capacity Event Centre in its place. There's more than enough room and it's the perfect location between all form of public transport, carparking, restaurants, retail and nightlife.

Merchant's Quay is privately owned. The council can't just bulldoze it. It is nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Why wait until the last day to appeal?
    F**king pricks. Obvious delay tactic.

Merchant's Quay is privately owned. The council can't just bulldoze it. It is nothing to do with them.

Yes I know i wasn't saying that. It's loss making and currently in the process of being redeveloped to make it less loss making. Im saying the site should be looked at by all parties as a more suitable location for an event centre. The Bam site is, was and always has been a terrible location.

There is a massive government grant going to bam to build an event centre on their site. Perhaps the owners of merchants quay should be approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Yes I know i wasn't saying that. It's loss making and currently in the process of being redeveloped to make it less loss making. Im saying the site should be looked at by all parties as a more suitable location for an event centre. The Bam site is, was and always has been a terrible location.

There is a massive government grant going to bam to build an event centre on their site. Perhaps the owners of merchants quay should be approached.

Events Centre on Merchant's Quay would cause traffic problems along the quay, dropping people off causing queue's on a busy route. BAM's site is bang centre in the entertainment district with pubs, clubs and restaurants, great location. Drop off's right outside the events centre shouldn't be allowed (except for certain circumstances) to avoid traffic chaos, plenty of car parks nearby and very short walk which will disperse traffic for bigger events. Also it's a short walk from the bus and train station.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Events Centre on Merchant's Quay would cause traffic problems along the quay, dropping people off causing queue's on a busy route. BAM's site is bang centre in the entertainment district with pubs, clubs and restaurants, great location. Drop off's right outside the events centre shouldn't be allowed (except for certain circumstances) to avoid traffic chaos, plenty of car parks nearby and very short walk which will disperse traffic for bigger events. Also it's a short walk from the bus and train station.

That's nonsense. The Events Centre will cater for the entre catchment of Munster. BAMs site is a terrible location and always has been. Merchants Quay is beside the city bus station, across the bridge from the all the private coaches (such as aircoach) and a very short distance to the train station.

BAM's site is not bang centre in the entertainment district, what’s around it? Student accommodation? A few pubs? A student night club?

Merchants Quay is across the river from lively mccurtain street. It is in the centre of all the new proposed hotels & hostels. It has direct access to Patricks street for shopping and all the restaurants just off it (Oliver Plunket Street, Opera Lane, Paul street, new docklands developments).

MQ is right in the centre of food, retail, transport and night life in Cork City and is a much more family friendly location. The site is future proofed against the expansion of the city. And critically, the surrounding public realm is far more able to accommodate 5000 people coming and going before & after an event.

That BAM site will be a total mess.

That's nonsense. The Events Centre will cater for the entre catchment of Munster. BAMs site is a terrible location and always has been. Merchants Quay is beside the city bus station, across the bridge from the all the private coaches (such as aircoach) and a very short distance to the train station.

BAM's site is not bang centre in the entertainment district, what’s around it? Student accommodation? A few pubs? A student night club?

Merchants Quay is across the river from lively mccurtain street. It is in the centre of all the new proposed hotels & hostels. It has direct access to Patricks street for shopping and all the restaurants just off it (Oliver Plunket Street, Opera Lane, Paul street, new docklands developments).

MQ is right in the centre of food, retail, transport and night life in Cork City and is a much more family friendly location. The site is future proofed against the expansion of the city. And critically, the surrounding public realm is far more able to accommodate 5000 people coming and going before & after an event.

That BAM site will be a total mess.

Bullsh!t, BAM's site is located where the majority of nightlife happens in Cork, Washington St., South Main St., etc.

An event's centre in MQ would cause traffic chaos along the keys etc. for big events, there's already too much traffic using it.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Bullsh!t, BAM's site is located where the majority of nightlife happens in Cork, Washington St., South Main St., etc.

An event's centre in MQ would cause traffic chaos along the keys etc. for big events, there's already too much traffic using it.

You keep focusing on traffic when I’ve pointed out that public realm and public transport are far better provided for at MQ. Also what type of events do you think the events centre will put on? People coming out of ‘Disney on Ice’, ‘the wedding fair expo’ or ‘Mrs. Brown's Boys - D'Musical’ won’t all want to go to Chambers & Hillbilly’s afterwards.

I’m trying to get you to think critically.

Like maybe the failure to get this thing going doesn’t lie with BAM, the city council, politicians or the architectural designs. Maybe it’s just an impractical place to put a 5000 capacity events centre and that why it’s stalled for so long.

Remember the alternative proposal on the Navigation House site? If that had been chosen instead the events centre would be operational already.

You keep focusing on traffic when I’ve pointed out that public realm and public transport are far better provided for at MQ. Also what type of events do you think the events centre will put on? People coming out of ‘Disney on Ice’, ‘the wedding fair expo’ or ‘Mrs. Brown's Boys - D'Musical’ won’t all want to go to Chambers & Hillbilly’s afterwards.

I’m trying to get you to think critically.

Like maybe the failure to get this thing going doesn’t lie with BAM, the city council, politicians or the architectural designs. Maybe it’s just an impractical place to put a 5000 capacity events centre and that why it’s stalled for so long.

Remember the alternative proposal on the Navigation House site? If that had been chosen instead the events centre would be operational already.

The reason why it's stalled for so long is because BAM requested more money from the government for design changes and capacity increase (required by Live nation). Live Nation are investing millions in it, will be running it and are experts in this area, i'm sure they've done an analysis to ensure its viable :)

Most of the events i'm guessing will be music concerts (live at marquee replacement for example) where people will have a few drinks before and after, maybe a meal or go to a club after etc., BAM's location is perfect to cater for this activity. You could also potentially close off traffic on South Main St. during events without causing traffic mayhem throughout the city.

ABP process is about 18 weeks so another nice long delay. I think that suits all parties to be honest to keep delaying the whole thing.

An objection would be an 18 week delay, this is a developer appeal, not that this will start within 18 weeks anyway....

We can't get the event centre built on an actual identified site, no idea why we're arguing about a fantasy non-starter proposal at Merchant's Quay.

• Advertisement

This has gone beyond ridiculous. Bam own the site, they hold all the cards so let them build whatever. Maybe to save face (and the tax payer money already spent) insist they build or contribute to a smaller gig/performance venue like the 1000 capacity Vicar Street or 600 capacity Academy in Dublin. The closest Cork has is Cyprus Avenue which is 250 capacity and is not a flexible space.
    The Opera House and the Everyman might have something to say about that.

Advertisement