Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

snotboogie wrote: »
    An objection would be an 18 week delay, this is a developer appeal, not that this will start within 18 weeks anyway....

There's no such thing as an objection to ABP. Every referral to them is known as an appeal, be it first party or third party. And all appeals have a max timeline of 18 weeks. From their own website:
    It is a statutory objective of the Board to determine appeals within a period of 18 weeks from the date of receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

350125GO! wrote: »
    This has gone beyond ridiculous. Bam own the site, they hold all the cards so let them build whatever. Maybe to save face (and the tax payer money already spent) insist they build or contribute to a smaller gig/performance venue like the 1000 capacity Vicar Street or 600 capacity Academy in Dublin. The closest Cork has is Cyprus Avenue which is 250 capacity and is not a flexible space..

Cyprus ave holds around 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Cyprus ave holds around 600.

No chance, its not even half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Frostybrew

xabi wrote: »

It's been expanded. New capacity is 600. With a second smaller venue holding 200 or so.

According to the Echo there was a second appeal lodged with ABP at the 11th hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's huge now! You can get 150 upstairs in the Spailpin for feck sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

You clearly haven't been there anytime in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Meanwhile up the road....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/green-light-for-23-million-white-water-rafting-course-for-dublin-1.4102404?localLinksEnabled=false

In fairness a white water rafting course is badly needed. 23 million. Not a bother. Done!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Just as it seems we are nearly there ;

From today's Echo;

City Hall and Bam in a row over the events centre bridge

Robert McNamara

A ROW has developed between event centre developer Bam and Cork City Council over who should pay costs toward a new pedestrian bridge.

A planning condition attached to permission granted for the revised plans for the event centre includes development contributions of €1.68 million — roughly 25% of total costs — to be paid for two bridges needed to service the site and connect to Crosse’s Green and French’s Quay.

However, Bam has appealed this condition to An Bord Pleanála. They said the Crosse’s Green pedestrian and cycle bridge has long been part of the city council’s development plan. They have not queried the development contributions for the pedestrian crossing to French’s Quay.

However, City Hall planners have argued in their response that the development contributions were built into a previous planning application from 2011 and a new city development plan has been devised since.

The council response said: “An Bord Pleanála will be aware that planning permission was granted on December 23, 2011, for a major mixed-use development — including an event centre — on the larger development site at the former Beamish and Crawford site at South Main Street, Crosse’s Green and French’s Quay, Cork.

“The description of this development included the construction of two pedestrian bridges across the south channel of the River Lee linking the brewery site to Crosse’s Green and French’s Quay/Proby’s Quay.”

City Hall planners also noted that the city development plan states that Cork City Council “will work closely” with key agencies and private developers to help realise these projects as “speedily as possible” and that the current city development plan was written after the original application for the event centre was granted permission.

The response further states: “The matter has been clear since the granting of the governing permission that these bridges and associated public realm improvement works would be subject to special development contributions.

“Attaching a special contribution condition is consistent with the approach taken by An Bord Pleanála.”

Meanwhile, a third party appeal asking for a heritage centre to be established on the event centre site has been dismissed by City Hall planners.

The appellant claims 11th-century Viking homes will be covered over on the former Beamish and Crawford site for a “state of the art” development that will be “obsolete” in 30 years.

The appellant wants a “Cork events and heritage centre” to be developed to acknowledge excavations and discoveries of Viking era artefacts at Crosse’s Green and has encouraged planners to follow the example of the Viking Triangle in Waterford.

City Hall responded: “The Board are advised that archaeological finds from excavations on the site are currently on display in partnership with the developer at Cork Public Museum. Further, under Cork City Council register ... provision is made for a cultural space, interpretive space on the ground floor which will be used to display historical archaeological information.”

The appeals will now be considered by the Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sounds like they need to build a bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I had been wondering what the story was with 2 bridges,hadn't realised one was to be on crosses green largely to service the student accommodation,that's nearly done ,makes sense to be able to exit the west side of the site heading towards college,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

TheChizler wrote: »
    Sounds like they need to build a bridge

No problem with building one , it's the getting over who'll pay for it is the catch. ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thought I read previously that the bridges were a way of 'giving money to the developers, without giving money to the developers'. i.e. while contributing money to the cost of the (non)Event Centre could be controversial, contributing to the building of bridges in the city seems more reasonable and fair. But it seems like it's too much to cover the entire cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I'm told the appeal to an bord pleanala is about to be withdrawn. Will be interesting to see when.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'm told the appeal to an bord pleanala is about to be withdrawn. Will be interesting to see when.

Which appeal? The bridge or the Nimby?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Tender out for the Bridges and Street Upgrades

This will have a few more twists and turns after planning is granted but I do see this starting around 2021. Above news is a good sign.

Is city council now the developer ?
    And Bam the main contractor ?
    Who's going to own the event center afterwards ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Upgrading of street paving etc. is so badly needed in the city centre. I see Waterford and all these villages getting wonderful street regeneration schemes, if even just proposed, and good for them. But seems crazy that Cork city doesnt even have any significant drawings or renders of the central city streets floating around. Given when we all know about the slowness of getting anything done it means you can nearly forget about anything significant in the life of the next council

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Upgrading of street paving etc. is so badly needed in the city centre. I see Waterford and all these villages getting wonderful street regeneration schemes, if even just proposed, and good for them. But seems crazy that Cork city doesnt even have any significant drawings or renders of the central city streets floating around. Given when we all know about the slowness of getting anything done it means you can nearly forget about anything significant in the life of the next council

In fairness Patrick Street, Grand Parade, Parnell Place, Cornmarket Street, OPS have all been upgraded in the past decade or so. South Mall badly needs an upgrade - it's very poor. The problem is that the upgrades are treated very poorly. Cars are allowed to drive and park on pedestrian zones and footpaths with impunity with cracked paving stones as a result. Until the Council decide to actually tackle the epidemic of illegal parking and prioritise sustainable transport, then upgrading any more streets is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Simon Coveney confident on Cork event centre
    “The main issue is planning. We have a plan in place now between the government and Cork City Council to get this done. Funding is not an issue. The process to deliver this project has also been agreed. There is an objector and her objections are entitled to be heard.

“This is not another false dawn. I think it will be done. It will be an incredible asset to the city but we will have to wait for An Bord Pleanala to finalise its planning considerations. Unfortunately, that is a few months away yet. The issue around who pays for bridges and so on, that will be resolved through the Bord Pleanala process.

“I’m confident that a contract can be finalised between Cork City Council and BAM that can provide funding certainty and timelines around building this project once the planning decisions are finalised. We will see it move ahead next year.”

Right....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

snotboogie wrote: »

It's his annual event centre update at this stage..bet he wishes he never held that shovel looking for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In fairness Patrick Street, Grand Parade, Parnell Place, Cornmarket Street, OPS have all been upgraded in the past decade or so. South Mall badly needs an upgrade - it's very poor. The problem is that the upgrades are treated very poorly. Cars are allowed to drive and park on pedestrian zones and footpaths with impunity with cracked paving stones as a result. Until the Council decide to actually tackle the epidemic of illegal parking and prioritise sustainable transport, then upgrading any more streets is a waste of time.

Contractors ( roads) dont or aren't allowed to upgrade properly,it's a farce ,each time a road gets upgraded within a few months(at most) it's dug up again,and TBH most work/ materials aren't good enough or the ppl laying roads etc aren't up to it
    Having lived in the 6 counties and and the UK + Germany etc I find out roads and those maintaining them well below par

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

opus wrote: »

There must be another Election on the horizon :rolleyes:

4 years after the sod turning. This project is the definition of believe it when you see it. Until construction is actually happening, I'll remain sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Until construction is actually happening, I'll remain sceptical.

Even at that, theres still plenty of scope for it to stop. Until Im standing in the arena drinking a 7 Euro pint of flat Carlsberg from a plastic glass, thats when I'll believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-event-centre-update-Once-off-50m-Government-payment-to-recharge-stalled-project-9b02d644-57e8-4b24-ace5-b045e5ac9853-ds

It would be fantastic to see Cork City have it's long awaited Events Centre. I just wonder whether the proposed site is really the most suitable location. I always thought that large numbers of people would have been more suitably accommodated on the original site proposed at Horgan's Quay back around the mid 1990's. The Live at the Marquee site now earmarked for housing/apartments may have been a better location to accommodate such large numbers of attendees. The latest artist impressions published seem out of character in such an old historic part of Cork City looking across from Proby's Quay/French's Quay. How will the transport links cope as the surrounding streets are quite narrow and thronged with vehicles since cycle lanes were installed some years ago.

That all said, whatever happens I hope a final decision is made and the an appropriate development takes place to allow South Main Street, Barrack Street and nearby Grand Parade come back to life again after a long period of decline.

Oh and I am also quite sceptical about this project - Not only will I not believe it until I see it built, I want to see a smooth efficient operation after all the delays/problems associated with such a complicated public/private partnership. This has been a lesson in how NOT to run such a project in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

CHealy wrote: »
    Even at that, theres still plenty of scope for it to stop. Until Im standing in the arena drinking a 7 Euro pint of flat Carlsberg from a plastic glass, thats when I'll believe it.
    By the time it's built it'll be 17 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

By the time it's built it'll be 17 euro.

Not to worry, I'm sure there'll be an additional J.D. Wetherspoons Pub outlet open nearby if and when it opens for business to take full advantage of the usual high prices charges at such major events!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Acosta

CHealy wrote: »

..Looking at the digital display for upcoming gigs by Lewis Capaldi, The C***ans, Picture This, Maroon 5, Dancing With The Stars , Irelands biggest Panto and the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis wondering what was the bloody point

Advertisement