Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

snotboogie wrote: »
    The economic benefit im talking about wouldn't be felt by the developer, it would be other businesses in the city; hotels, bars, shops, restaurants etc. I was against PUC from day 1 btw, no way a stadium that excludes other sports should ever be getting public funding, this is a far more sensible project. It is normal for entertainment venues to get a public sector leg up to benefit the local economy at a later date.

Personally I don't agree...but each to their own. If bam / live nation want to build an events center, them let them at it. But there is far more pressing needs for government funding than into bam or live nations pockets. If it's going to be a successful as people predict, both will make plenty profit, with or without public funding

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is this the view that was "too defensive"?

I don't think so, I think the view shown was from around French's Quay / crosses green, (I think) lis that frontage even proposed to look like that anymore.
    I think the elevation the planners were less than thrilled with was from south main street..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Took a walk behind the student flats yesterday, looks to me like some (all?) of them will be ready for the new academic year coming.

484789.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the revised planning notice on the wall of the quay there as I was parked there recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hardly a great surprise, the sooner it gets put back out to tender (with a more iron clad) contract, the better...
    (wouldn't surprise me if bam tried again for their site on Sullivan Quay...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

opus wrote: »
    Took a walk behind the student flats yesterday, looks to me like some (all?) of them will be ready for the new academic year coming.

Wouldn't fancy living in it as a student for the construction phase of the events centre....if it ever begins construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Wouldn't fancy living in it as a student for the construction phase of the events centre....if it ever begins construction.
    Any new student is more likely to have their PhD completed before the Event Center starts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

The events centre should have always been down on the proposed site at Kennedy Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cotts72 wrote: »
    The events centre should have always been down on the proposed site at Kennedy Quay.

What proposed site on Kennedy Quay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

tototoe wrote: »
    Personally I don't agree...but each to their own. If bam / live nation want to build an events center, them let them at it. But there is far more pressing needs for government funding than into bam or live nations pockets. If it's going to be a successful as people predict, both will make plenty profit, with or without public funding
    Most event centers in cities in Europe are entirely funded by the public exchequer due to their economic benefit to a city and region. In Ireland the National Convention Centre and the Bord Gais Energy theatre both received significant public funding and support.
    The Cork Event Center should receive such support too, it seems as if every major strategic infrastructure project for Cork is being delayed at the moment. It’s not on that we receive so little funding for infrastructure and there’s always an excuse yet mega projects of dubious merit get over the line in other regions.
    What are all the Cork TD’s doing for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rebs23 wrote: »
    What are all the Cork TD’s doing for Cork?

Nothing. Absolute useless shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nothing. Absolute useless shower.

Between the Event Centre, various road projects and now Dunkettle I have given up all faith that any political party has any interest in anything outside of the M50.
    Perhaps we just do not have a sufficient population down this way for them to be concerned or is it we are just too complacent and vote for the same over and over again regardless?

What proposed site on Kennedy Quay?

O'callaghan development had a proposed application for an events centre down on Kennedy quay/Albert Quay somewhere. That went up against BAMs brewery proposal. Essentially all the main pub owners up around brewery development (one sounds like nonty) got behind that one and backed it hence they got the funding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

O'callaghan development had a proposed application for an events centre down on Kennedy quay/Albert Quay somewhere. That went up against BAMs brewery proposal. Essentially all the main pub owners up around brewery development (one sounds like nonty) got behind that one and backed it hence they got the funding

That was Albert Quay and thank god it didn’t get picked. It would have caused traffic chaos being right on the N27 which handles a significant percentage of north - south traffic movements.

Any event being held there would have divided the south docklands from the rest of the city during that time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    Between the Event Centre, various road projects and now Dunkettle I have given up all faith that any political party has any interest in anything outside of the M50.
    Perhaps we just do not have a sufficient population down this way for them to be concerned or is it we are just too complacent and vote for the same over and over again regardless?

I wouldn’t say outside the M50. There seems to be a particular lack of will for projects in the Cork area. I would extend this to Kerry too but the Healy Rae efforts mask some of that

There are 2 motorway grade roads under construction in Wexford. A 57km badly thought out motorway was built in Galway recently. There is a long and growing backlog of projects in Cork that just don’t get advanced.

That was Albert Quay and thank god it didn’t get picked. It would have caused traffic chaos being right on the N27 which handles a significant percentage of north - south traffic movements.

Any event being held there would have divided the south docklands from the rest of the city during that time.

As opposed to South main st which is one way and can't handle any volume of traffic? Bishop St /Probus Quay not much better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

As opposed to South main st which is one way and can't handle any volume of traffic? Bishop St /Probus Quay not much better
    Exactly, people won't see cars as an option and know they have to find other ways of getting there. Having a dual carriageway run past is an invitation to drive. They'd have to block off the route to prevent chaos which would stop north - south traffic for the evening. There'll still be chaos around south main st granted but its not a major thoroughfare.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Exactly, people won't see cars as an option and know they have to find other ways of getting there. Having a dual carriageway run past is an invitation to drive. They'd have to block off the route to prevent chaos which would stop north - south traffic for the evening. There'll still be chaos around south main st granted but its not a major thoroughfare.

What other ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What other ways?
    Walk, get the bus early and go for a bit of food or drink beforehand, park and ride, or one of the many car parks around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

What other ways?

Seriously? You can think of no other way of getting to South Main Street but by car?
    I think I see the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

What other ways?

There’s at least 5 multi-story car parks within a 5/10 minute walk of the site. So people will still have no bother bringing their car if they really want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Walk, get the bus early and go for a bit of food or drink beforehand, park and ride, or one of the many car parks around the city.
    The Event Center has to be about more than people coming to a gig/event, dropped at the door, collected at the door and head home. We want people to come into Cork, dine/drink and shop here; supporting the businesses in the city. With online shopping becoming more and more prevalent, we need the city to have social attractions to get people in. That's why the lack of real progress (location has not been a factor in the delays) has infuriated/despaired people on here; this is a major project for the city for a minor sum (in relative terms).

Buses finish at 11. Not exactly helpful unless you want to leg it home after a concert. Car parks aren't another way of getting to the city. They still involve cars.

Many people don't see public transport as a viable option - case in point, public transport only accounts for 5% of trips in the city currently. To think people will suddenly ditch the car for the event centre (if it's ever built) is deluded thinking. Ever go to something in the Opera House, especially something popular? Cars everywhere and crazy traffic, and that's a fairly small venue.

Without massive investment, cars will continue to dominate Cork for all types of trips.

Seriously? You can think of no other way of getting to South Main Street but by car?
    I think I see the problem here.

It was a question for the poster. What viable ways are there bearing in mind the very poor transit offering in Cork? Who wants to be at a concert but keeping an eye on the clock because the last bus will be leaving at 11 or the last train to Midleton leaves at 10.15! There is a problem and it's the sorry state of Cork transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It was a question for the poster. What viable ways are there bearing in mind the very poor transit offering in Cork? Who wants to be at a concert but keeping an eye on the clock because the last bus will be leaving at 11 or the last train to Midleton leaves at 10.15! There is a problem and it's the sorry state of Cork transport.

I think you're being a little hasty.

The bus route to Mahon Point wasn't approved until the day it opened.
    I'd say more public transport would be laid on if the demand was there. The 220 passes nearby. The late train and bus East have been tried in the past and demand was always a problem. Council won't subvent P&R without significant demand either.

I think you're being a little hasty.

The bus route to Mahon Point wasn't approved until the day it opened.
    I'd say more public transport would be laid on if the demand was there. The 220 passes nearby. The late train and bus East have been tried in the past and demand was always a problem. Council won't subvent P&R without significant demand either.

I live in East Cork and in theory have among the best public transport options in Cork with a train 20 mins walk from home and a number of buses passing outside the door. I use it daily for commuting to work and largely it does a decent job in the morning and evening rush. But outside of that it's next to useless. Last train at 10.15. Last bus at 11. 2 hour gaps between buses in the middle of the day and the evening time. All means the car is required unfortunately for anything outside commuting to work.

You mention we might get more options. We might, then again we might not. We've seen complaints on here about the new 220 night time buses with phantom buses and timetables being non existent. That sort of stuff kills demand because the bus is seen as an unreliable option and the car is more attractive. The comical timelines in CMATS mean we might get something in 20 years or so.

I say all this as a big believer in public transport. As I said I use it daily for work commute and have an annual ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I agree with all of that but i think you're being hasty. We don't have any events centre movement so it's not fair to complain about the public transport options for it (yet).

I do think they should lay on more night buses at the minimum though. They're always totally packed when they are laid on. And since the service takes crazy routes that don't really suit anyone, that's quite an achievement.

We'll see what happens. But would have no faith really. When there's been big matches down in PUC the last few years, Irish Rail didn't put on additional trains and with 2 hour gaps between trains on a Sunday afternoon, plenty of people were left stranded in Kent until after 8 o'clock.

I would have no faith that any sort of demand will be met by public transport based on previous experience. Have we seen any changes to public transport with events like the Marquee? Nope. If I were going there I'd have to drive, or else leave early to catch the last train/bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I don't see this being funded tbh. The government just isn't interested in the project. That's fairly obvious. It's the same with the roads issues in Cork - they're all stalled.

It seems, despite huge private money pouring into various major projects on the docks, there's no political will to drive any infrastructural development in Cork.

FG should, but probably won't, lose seats over it as people seem to just zombie vote down here in recent years.

Advertisement