Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options
  • 06-01-2017 11:13pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Chat thread for you peeps tying the knot in 2018 :)

Congratulations and best of luck everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

Thanks Toots! We're getting married in August 2018, strange to be saying now that it's next year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

Getting married April 2018 😊

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

June 2018 here.
    Seems like ages away but very surprising how many suppliers are already booked etc

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Yay I'm June 2018! Have all the big things booked and currently on the hunt for hair and makeup...crazy to think so much books out this far in advance!

Also how AMAZING is it to finally be able to say you're getting married next year!

We started booking things last July for August 2018. One venue had only two Saturdays left, a band we enquired with was already booked as was a videographer. This was two years out, I couldn't get over it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

June 2018 here too! I'm excited but I am also getting very annoyed at the lack of communication from event decor vendors. I have contacted 3 for prices of draping in the past 2 months and when I got an email back they just send me on pictures of draping, but no prices? Then after I reply, radio silence. Is it just me or has that happened to any of you lovely ladies? xxx

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found with a lot of vendors that they weren't great in communication by email, you need to ring them to get anything done. This was back in 2010, and my SIL got married last year and said the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 completely confused

August 2018 here! I was wondering when someone would start this thread :P

I have a question actually, what is the general consensus on a 2nd day BBQ or similar? I haven't been to many weddings so don't know what people really think. Do guests enjoy going or are they just a bit of an obligation on a hangover?? Trying to get our catering sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I have a question actually, what is the general consensus on a 2nd day BBQ or similar? I haven't been to many weddings so don't know what people really think. Do guests enjoy going or are they just a bit of an obligation on a hangover?? Trying to get our catering sorted!

2017 bride here but thought I'd give my 2cents.. I've been to a crapload of weddings in the last 3 years.. I'm at "that age" when everyone's getting married.. anyways.. only expect much smaller numbers for the afters, (like my friend had about 300 at her wedding and maybe 20-30 at the afters!) think close friends, family, I think BBQ is a great idea though!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Getting married March 2018, we have the band and hotel booked. It feels like there is so much to do. Hopefully this thread will be a good help to us all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

August 2018 here! I was wondering when someone would start this thread :P

We are looking at doing it too. Depending on numbers for the second day, and weather of course. Our hotel want circa €20 per head for the BBQ but we have loads of time to make our minds up.

From been to weddings I don't mind it, I would let guests know it's on in the afternoon/evening or whatever, that way they can chill in bed, or get up and go for a walk to the town or use the hotel facilities (pool etc), although, from my previous experience, getting to bed at 5ish and one wedding last year where we were still up when the hot l opened for breakfast, I wanted to stay in bed until the following evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kaixbre

March 2018 here too, just have the venue and celebrant booked so far.

On the hunt for a band and photographer next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I've been to a good number of weddings over the past 2 years (I'm at that age) and also engaged myself.

My feeling on 2nd day activities is to keep them really small if you're having them at all.

Generally, the morning after a wedding, I'm all about having breakfast and then hitting the road. The thoughts of having to get properly dressed up and potentially start drinking again would typically fill me with dread. Also, if the venue is far from home, having a big event might mean people think they need to book a 2nd nights accommodation, which likely they won't want to do.

What I have seen work well if for the B&G to book an area in a pub back closer to where everyone lives, and then the close friends and family and have an informal gathering there, once everyone has been home, had a nap and shower and are feeling human again :)

This is the most we're likely to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

Not sure if there is one yet? Just got engaged. Looking at next summer. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Kate253 wrote: »
    Not sure if there is one yet? Just got engaged. Looking at next summer. :-)

Thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057690086

Congratulations on the engagement.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Kate253, I've moved your post into the 2018 thread there now (cheers for the link Atomic Pineapple :)) It hadn't had a post in a few weeks, so wasn't on the front page.

Congratulations on the engagement!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Another one for March 2018! :) Have been engaged nearly a year but hadn't organised a thing until a month ago. Have venue, band/DJ, photographer and someone to marry us sorted. We had been planning on 60 people but have increased it to 100, the politics of the guest list has begun already :pac:

MissElle wrote: »
    the politics of the guest list has begun already :pac:

I feel your pain on this one...we've done a few drafts, the lowest being 140 and the highest being 390. It's utter madness trying to please everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

I've been to a good number of weddings over the past 2 years (I'm at that age) and also engaged myself.

My feeling on 2nd day activities is to keep them really small if you're having them at all.

Generally, the morning after a wedding, I'm all about having breakfast and then hitting the road. The thoughts of having to get properly dressed up and potentially start drinking again would typically fill me with dread. Also, if the venue is far from home, having a big event might mean people think they need to book a 2nd nights accommodation, which likely they won't want to do.

What I have seen work well if for the B&G to book an area in a pub back closer to where everyone lives, and then the close friends and family and have an informal gathering there, once everyone has been home, had a nap and shower and are feeling human again :)

This is the most we're likely to do.

We are not doing this. Don't see the need. I do think a small thing might be nice but in our case everyone will be travelling so we would have to have a next day thing for everyone so that would be too much as we're looking at 100.

We are going to just pick a hotel to hang out at the next day and whoever wants to join us, join us but nothing organised. I'll expect immediate family to hang around the next day.

I've been to 30+ weddings from mid 90s on. It appears to me that the 2nd day thing is a new thing. Even with my 4 family weddings in the '96-03 period, we had nothing next day at all. Everyone left after breakfast. I wouldn't mind it as family but as a non family guest I prefer to leg it the next morning and wouldn't be keen on a follow up event but that's me and one event of drinking is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

I feel your pain on this one...we've done a few drafts, the lowest being 140 and the highest being 390. It's utter madness trying to please everyone!!

I've a large family so even keeping it to 100 is tough. I have his parents already going on about inviting "the neighbours" who I don't even know! We are paying for everything ourselves so I'm not going to let them dictate the guest list. Who says wedding planning is fun!? :pac: Anyway got hair and makeup organised today, so another couple of things checked off the list :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

After lurking around this forum for a good while I'm delighted to finally be able to post here! :)
    Newly engaged as of last weekend and hoping to get married in 2018, assuming we can find somewhere we like that's available!

After lurking around this forum for a good while I'm delighted to finally be able to post here! :)
    Newly engaged as of last weekend and hoping to get married in 2018, assuming we can find somewhere we like that's available!

Congratulations, now is the time to be looking for a 2018 wedding, normally I'd say enjoy the engagement for a bit but in this case I recommend you get cracking. :)

Congratulations, now is the time to be looking for a 2018 wedding, normally I'd say enjoy the engagement for a bit but in this case I recommend you get cracking. :)

Thanks :) Yeah we plan on getting cracking very soon, just need to buy a ring first haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

Delighted to be joining in here! Got engaged very recently, got the church and venue organised for April 2018.
    Managed to get my dress too, sample sales are amazing!

Just trying to figure out bands and photographer now, 2 things we definitely don't want to cheap out on. Very exciting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

I'm engaged one year today :):) and it's another 14 months until the wedding!! Booked flights to London to go wedding dress shopping with my mam and sister in June, eeek!! I think it will really fly in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

April 2018 here!
    We're currently living in Japan, but heading home to Ireland to be married. Organizing by remote gets old real quick! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

April 2018 here too :) venue confirmed, now begins the fun part of trying to sort everything else out :pac:

March 2018 for me.
    Church, priest, church singer, venue, photographer and band all booked.
    Gotta say, my missus is on top of everything. Didnt think she would be at all, but considering we're only engaged about 9 weeks, I think we're in good shape.

Need to sort out insurance next. Personally think it's a waste, but she wants it, so better be safe than sorry

We've provisionally booked our venue for September 2018, it ticks all of our boxes except one niggle! After the dinner they ask everyone to leave the room to set up the dance floor - we were really hoping to get somewhere that didn't require this as I think it can sometimes break up the momentum of the day and be hard to get people back in, anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement

anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure what you are looking for? The only opinion that really matters is your own, if it's not something you can live with then don't go for it. In general most venues will ask guests to leave an area while they reset it and as such it wouldn't be an uncommon thing to occur at a wedding so I wouldn't be worried too much about what your guests think, they'll have experienced it before more than likely, so really it's just whatever you think of it.

Advertisement