Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

When you see Branden Grace , Bottler is not far behind. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

he looked so nervous.

strange for a guy like that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Could have just messed up his whole week on just the first hole. Classic Rory!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Shocking start from McIllroy.
    IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What a howler from McElroy.

Rory probably easier lads.

at least rory can have his not care rounds early this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

Could have just messed up his whole week on just the first hole. Classic Rory!!!
    When was the last time he messed up the whole week on the first hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭me89

He will do well to get an 8 here

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...He could be looking at an 8 on the first...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Go Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Has there been a bigger meltdown since Chernobyl. :eek:

• Advertisement

great start by the irish . greens look slow.

sitting here wondering why on earth im not there.

great start by the irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

That will definitely hurt the psyche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
    McIlroy is regarded as the favourite, I honestly don't fathom the hype in Portrush. His high ball flight is an uneasy fit for links golf, particularly if the wind kicks up. Mind you, I would be delighted to eat these words on Sunday evening.

The ball flight thing is interesting. Like most probably, i've always assumed high ball flight would not be an obvious asset when it came to playing links golf. Not so apparently, at least according to Padraig Harrington at least. Harrington was on the coach clinic thing on sky yesterday, showing how to play various shots using the wind and made the comment that, actually, having a high ball flight was an advantage in launching a ball into the wind and claimed that was the reason why the Americans tended to do well in the Open. I was a bit stunned hearing him and wonder would other pros actually agree with him, but thought it was quite significant and thought provoking coming from him.

Ive always wondered about some yank flying in having never played links before and winning. is the whole ball flight thing overblown? I did think Phil had changed his game before winning as he had a terrible record in his early
    years.

Having said that Padraig has some strange ideas at times.

On McIlroy he does have the best aggregate score at the open over the last 5 years. I see hes running up a double bogey now so will probably be his usual back door top ten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

qwabercd wrote: »
    harpsman wrote: »
    McIlroy is regarded as the favourite, I honestly don't fathom the hype in Portrush. His high ball flight is an uneasy fit for links golf, particularly if the wind kicks up. Mind you, I would be delighted to eat these words on Sunday evening.
    Not to mention he hasn't come near winning a major on any course in 5 years.

Dont understand why anyone would back McIlroy at 10/1. Stick an e/w bet on fowler or dustin if you want a value bet

He's had 10 top 10s in the 18 majors since he last won one. You'd have a nice profit if you backed him at 10/1 ew 10 places across all those majors. His last 3 opens since he won have all been top 5s - again all would have returned a solid ew profit.

Added benefit of playing on a course he's familiar with, it's not that bad a bet.

Edit - sorry for derailing with betting talk, actually assumed this was the tips/betting thread.

Great value..!

An 8 it is....

what was he trying to do anyway . most other guys laying up Rory hitting something far more powerfull.

its kind of a bad choice anyway.

one of them 1/2 lay ups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Ouch.. Thats a rough start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

what was he trying to do anyway . most other guys laying up Rory hitting something far more powerfull.

Think he hit and iron too, just pulled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Panrich

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Think he hit and iron too, just pulled it.

Be he still doubled with his second ball. What did he hit with his reload. Sorry not able to watch but if someone could talk us through it, I’d appreciate it. Can’t fathom how he managed an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...First Tee shot out of bounds, 3rd off the tee went into rough...Pulled his 4th and went into rough left of the green, but it was unplayable so dropped...6th was actually a decent chip onto the green, then a nervy 2 putt for an 8...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭me89

Panrich wrote: »
    Be he still doubled with his second ball. What did he hit with his reload. Sorry not able to watch but if someone could talk us through it, I’d appreciate it. Can’t fathom how he managed an 8.

Hit an iron both times. Pulled his 4th left of the green and took a penalty drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,709 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Disaster for Rory, pressure on him must be huge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Can still birdie this hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Mod delete

The only saving grace is that if you’re going to have a disaster like this, you’d pick it to be as early as possible to give you the opportunity to recover. Still 35 holes to the cut and 71 to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Mod delete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Panrich wrote: »

The only saving grace is that if you’re going to have a disaster like this, you’d pick it to be as early as possible to give you the opportunity to recover. Still 35 holes to the cut and 71 to the end.

That's all well and good if you drop a 6 but an 8. That will be telling if he mends it.

Well Shane seems to be going well though.

Poor putt.

• Advertisement

Wind really picking up now. 20mph.

Advertisement