Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Interested in people's experience tomorrow of the park and ride. I’m doing the round trip from Dublin on friday with 2 kids in tow. Just hope the park n ride and feeder buses both ways run smoothly. Apart from that can’t wait for it!! Great reading people’s experiences so far. Any bargains to be had on the merchandise front? On the website the prices are very steep to put it mildly.

I travelled up from Belfast on Tuesday - just follow the Park & Ride signs and the facility is in Colraine. Bus journey is about 20mins to the course. Your parking area will be marked -so no worry about forgetting where the car is as long as you remember your spot! Directions exiting the course could have been better but it all worked fine in the end.

A good viewing area is by the 6th green/ 7th tee -you see a number of holes from there.

Ive been to loads of Opens / Golf events- bring a good pair of runners/golf shoes & a rucksack is very handy for water, fruit , raingear etc. The tented village has a lot of stuff for kids too btw.

The place will be heaving so allow for that.

One final tip -leave the course a little before the throng departs and you will take all the worry/hassle out of your day. The terrain is tiring especially for kids so bear that in mind too. If they are youngish they'll be cranky & knackered (& probably wet given the forecast) -so bring a change of clothes & leave in the car boot.
    Enjoy the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I'm probably just used to being able to park (for free) right at the course for Irish Opens but busing people 20min to the course for the park and ride seems a bit far. Especially considering we have paid for the privilege and that no mention of it was made back when we were purchasing the car parking.

Anyway.. hopefully the only negative of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Is park and ride free? Picked up Friday tickets recently but no parking permit or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

HighLine wrote: »
    I'm probably just used to being able to park (for free) right at the course for Irish Opens but busing people 20min to the course for the park and ride seems a bit far. Especially considering we have paid for the privilege and that no mention of it was made back when we were purchasing the car parking.

Yeah tbh when I booked the parking last year, I assumed it would be around Portrush and walking distance to the course. But as long as it’s well run I will forgive them.

Big thanks Beaulieu for the tips!

Is park and ride free? Picked up Friday tickets recently but no parking permit or anything

No -you could have bought parking in advance -I think they were taking cash on the day Stg£10.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »

Trust me -it's not a negative! Ive memories from Irish Opens of being stuck in fields with one exit and it taking literally an hour + to get out.

You'll be gone from Colraine in a jiff -much better way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

On the train back to Belfast...weather was shocking all day other than 2 hours of glorious sunshine after lunch.

Guys we’re having serious difficulty getting to greens into the wind..especially 16. Reed hit a couple of balls with different clubs and DJ and Koepka did the same

Course looks fantastic but was washed out of it at the end...only poor tiger on the range

His swing was very solid up to the driver which he was hitting shorter than his 3w before

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Heading up on Friday and haven't been to a golf tournament for a few years and I'm trying to put together a survival list. Driving up and down.

Phone charger
    Normal golf clothes with wet gear
    Change of clothes just incase left in the car
    Golf shoes
    Two pairs of socks
    Back pack.
    Couple of caps
    Water
    Snacks
    Binoculars
    Map

Anything I'm missing?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Heading up on Friday and haven't been to a golf tournament for a few years and I'm trying to put together a survival list. Driving up and down.

Phone charger
    Golf shoes
    Two pairs of socks
    Back pack.
    Couple of caps
    Water
    Snacks
    Binoculars
    Map

Anything I'm missing?

Money.lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

more talk about transport etc and very little about the golf....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Happy4all wrote: »
    more talk about transport etc and very little about the golf....

Expect that to change tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Going up on Friday. Cannot wait!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Just in the posts about parking, am a bit confused.

Am staying in the provided tents, Friday and sateuday night and bought parking, are people saying that cars can't be left overnight? Surely that can't be right??

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

harpsman wrote: »
    Not to mention he hasn't come near winning a major on any course in 5 years.

Dont understand why anyone would back McIlroy at 10/1. Stick an e/w bet on fowler or dustin if you want a value bet

They probably back him because in his last 4 Open championships backing McIlroy has won you money, similarly backing the other 2 has brought a grand return of zero....
    There’s many reasons Rory is favourite this week, being a home open, his course record, consistent season form etc, we are about to find out if it’s accurate, but he has been a much better bet than the other pair to date

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Interested in people's experience tomorrow of the park and ride. I’m doing the round trip from Dublin on friday with 2 kids in tow. Just hope the park n ride and feeder buses both ways run smoothly. Apart from that can’t wait for it!! Great reading people’s experiences so far. Any bargains to be had on the merchandise front? On the website the prices are very steep to put it mildly.

My park n ride has been seamless so far, tomorrow is the acid test though, Portstewart is by far the best Park n ride if anyone is travelling up, u can park in a nearby street (Millbank Ave) if you haven’t Pre-booked Parking
    Bus is 6-7 mins, leaves u 200 yds from course entrance.

Chopper83 wrote: »
    Absolutely much much better. It's on the coast too. Please don't stay in Coleraine and head into Portstewart instead. Harbour bar and a few others on the promenade would be worth a shot.

Yep, Portstewart is the much better place to go, the Anchor bar complex will have it on, its just top of the promenade

On the lookout for a ticket for Friday if anyone has one spare. I'm already up here but know a bunch of lads leaving tomorrow

U still looking, my brother may have one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

If anyone has tips/ideas on best way to watch the golf online while I’m in Germany that would be much appreciated!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Phone charger
    Golf shoes
    Two pairs of socks
    Back pack.
    Couple of caps
    Water
    Snacks
    Binoculars
    Map

Anything I'm missing?

Umbrella.....unless that's part of wet gear.

Glove if you're getting a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Darren Clarke 3 under after 5 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Darren Clarke 3 under after 5 holes

Sugrue going steady too. Early days though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If anyone has tips/ideas on best way to watch the golf online while I’m in Germany that would be much appreciated!!!!!

Live legit feed on the official Open website, looking at it now with dual screen setup in work, can't say whether it will work in Germany though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

slave1 wrote: »

Live legit feed on the official Open website, looking at it now with dual screen setup in work, can't say whether it will work in Germany though

Yeah it's really good feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

harpsman wrote: »
    McIlroy is regarded as the favourite, I honestly don't fathom the hype in Portrush. His high ball flight is an uneasy fit for links golf, particularly if the wind kicks up. Mind you, I would be delighted to eat these words on Sunday evening.
    Not to mention he hasn't come near winning a major on any course in 5 years.

Dont understand why anyone would back McIlroy at 10/1. Stick an e/w bet on fowler or dustin if you want a value bet

He's had 10 top 10s in the 18 majors since he last won one. You'd have a nice profit if you backed him at 10/1 ew 10 places across all those majors. His last 3 opens since he won have all been top 5s - again all would have returned a solid ew profit.

Added benefit of playing on a course he's familiar with, it's not that bad a bet.

Edit - sorry for derailing with betting talk, actually assumed this was the tips/betting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shocking start from McIllroy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

great start by the irish . greens look slow.

sitting here wondering why on earth im not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Great to see Sugrue playing solid golf this morning. Can't be easy when it's your first round at a major.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

great start by the irish . greens look slow.

sitting here wondering why on earth im not there.
    Up ya get people practically giving tickets away hah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What a howler from McElroy. Out of Bounds with his first drive, with what looked like a 3 iron....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Made absolute dogs dinner of this hole.

In further rough just avoiding the bunker.

Advertisement