Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Panrich wrote:
    The only saving grace is that if you’re going to have a disaster like this, you’d pick it to be as early as possible to give you the opportunity to recover. Still 35 holes to the cut and 71 to the end.

If he makes the cut he'll be doing really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Rory spotted heading back to club house with a fiver in his hand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Given the margins McElroy will be kicking himself on Sunday night if he is within 4/5 shots of the winner. That's if he makes the cut. What a howler.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Lowry off to a dream start at -4...Haven't seen as much as Harrington as I thought we would...I'll have to make do with 18 holes tomorrow ha...
    ...For people there now, what's it like weather wise as a spectator?...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Never mind the poor shots he has hit, the putt for a 7 and the birdie on 2 were also very poor.

Huge test of his character and mental strength. Plenty of birdie opportunities out there so his goal has to be to get back to level par.

Shane playing great golf so far. I’m sure he will enjoy the wind too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Overshot that one, in the heavy rough once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Disaster for Rory, pressure on him must be huge.

Interview with him on BBC news last night - doing the whole "I'm here for fun" - "if someone told me that at this age I'd have won what I have I'd have snapped their hands off" etc etc

It rang hollow to me... I thought he had the look of someone hoping that if he says something enough it'll be that way.

It's only natural that he would be feeling pressure to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Rory’s Open is over.
    Awful start.

Does he actually suit these conditions?

He's always been a useless wind player, not sure why he was the 8/1 favourite?

At Birkdale in 2014 I think he had 4 days of perfect dry weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Awful start.

Maybe we could focus on the Irish players so?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Awful start.

Maybe we could focus on the Irish players so?

Ohhhh

+5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I said in the other thread he'd miss the cut yesterday and it's a cert now, why he's favourite is beyond me.Weak mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

wow cant believe that start from rory

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So much for Rory at 8/1 more like an 8 at the 1st.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sky88 wrote: »
    wow cant believe that start from rory

Thurloway (whoever he is) sparing Rory's blushes (very slightly) right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭bren2001

Pissartist wrote: »
    I said in the other thread he'd miss the cut yesterday and it's a cert now, why he's favourite is beyond me.Weak mentality

Because he's the #3 golfer in the world, playing effectively in his hometown, on a course where he holds the record set when he was 16. Statistically this is the best year of his career. It's pretty obvious why he was installed as favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭hawley

McIlroy skipped the Irish Open in order to prepare fully for this week. Doesn't seem to have worked well.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Because he's the #3 golfer in the world, playing effectively in his hometown, on a course where he holds the record set when he was 16. Statistically this is the best year of his career. It's pretty obvious why he was installed as favorite.

When was the last time he won a major ? He's a flat track pony

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

hawley wrote: »
    McIlroy skipped the Irish Open in order to prepare fully for this week. Doesn't seem to have worked well.
    He played in Scottish Open last week ...

• Advertisement

Better hole from him.

Maybe this will settle him down now and he begins a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Given the margins McElroy will be kicking himself on Sunday night if he is within 4/5 shots of the winner. That's if he makes the cut. What a howler.
    Who's McElroy? cant see him on the scoreboard

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He's always been a useless wind player, not sure why he was the 8/1 favourite?

He shot 61 at Portrush as a kid.

Keano wrote: »
    He played in Scottish Open last week ...

A parkland instead of a links, playing Lahinch would have been beneficial. Like a minority of others, I felt the favourite tag this week wasn't justified. Hopefully he can undo some of the damage coming home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A parkland instead of a links, playing Lahinch would have been beneficial. Like a minority of others, I felt the favourite tag this week wasn't justified. Hopefully he can undo some of the damage coming home.
    How is it a parkland? It is not by the sea?

He made a poor choice imho.

I wonder will he walk off with a tooth ache

He shot 61 at Portrush as a kid.

In high wind?

His game has come on quite a bit since then, in his professional career since I've watched him I've never seen him boss these conditions.

Pissartist wrote: »
    I wonder will he walk off with a tooth ache
    How is that relevant? It's not.. stop it please

• Advertisement

Lowry back to -4. Looking good for him today.

Advertisement