Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Found the exam very tough:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Found the exam very tough:-(

Yup same here, some exam. Much harder than the Garda exam, not even anywhere on par. If you didn't cheat and come in the top 50, all I can say is well done!

Even the scenarios at the start where a bit out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

TallGlass wrote: »
    Yup same here, some exam. Much harder than the Garda exam, not even anywhere on par. If you didn't cheat and come in the top 50, all I can say is well done!

Would be hard to cheat at that exam. A lot of variety. I'm glad coz if I get through I know I deserved it.

Was tough. The fire brigade aptitude tests seem to get harder every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

with the wide variety of applicants I would say there are people who walked through that and people who suffered a painful reality, that's aptitudes for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dub2165

megabantz wrote: »
    with the wide variety of applicants I would say there are people who walked through that and people who suffered a painful reality, that's aptitudes for you!

Just new to this .when do u think we will get results back

• Advertisement

Dub2165 wrote: »
    Just new to this .when do u think we will get results back

It said middle -end December so hopefully it's correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dub2165

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Retained Firefighter for Skerries/Balbriggan advertised on Thursday of this week.

Retained Firefighter for Skerries/Balbriggan advertised on Thursday of this week.

Don't mean to belittle anyone but that seems a bit iffy, regards holding another job and then just having to shoot off in emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SAFO

Some of the most experienced firefighters in the country are retained. If you are lucky enough to live beside a retained station you could have the best of both worlds e.g stay in your own jobs and still be a firefighter.
    Only downside is that it must be extremely hard work holding down two jobs and all that entails. Those lads do a great job to be fair to them. They are on call 24/7/365. If I lived in Balbriggan or Skerries I would apply for it no question. Any word on the results of the test?

• Advertisement

SAFO wrote: »
    Some of the most experienced firefighters in the country are retained. If you are lucky enough to live beside a retained station you could have the best of both worlds e.g stay in your own jobs and still be a firefighter.
    Only downside is that it must be extremely hard work holding down two jobs and all that entails. Those lads do a great job to be fair to them. They are on call 24/7/365. If I lived in Balbriggan or Skerries I would apply for it no question. Any word on the results of the test?

Nothing yet SAFO! Left in the dark! reminds me of the airport process ha :D Speaking of which (not to change the subject but just while im on it) any word on the airport taking on some from the panel in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

SAFO wrote: »

Well said SAFO....

Hope we find out this week. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

I've a BMI of 31, I could stand to loose a few kilos like anybody else i'm but i'm clearly not obese and enjoy working out quite regularly, weights, swimming, jogging etc. Should I be starving myself at this point or will they take that "muscle factor into account? Looking forward to hearing back about the results of the aptitude tests.

dmc36 wrote: »
    I've a BMI of 31, I could stand to loose a few kilos like anybody else i'm but i'm clearly not obese and enjoy working out quite regularly, weights, swimming, jogging etc. Should I be starving myself at this point or will they take that "muscle factor into account? Looking forward to hearing back about the results of the aptitude tests.

I think they have to take your build and muscle mass into consideration... Take rugby players for example they would have a high bmi but their still fit...Wouldn't worry about it at this stage anyway.

I have a feeling the results will be out tomorrow, if not then I think it will be after Christmas/New year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shamee

I have a feeling the results will be out tomorrow, if not then I think it will be after Christmas/New year.

There's only 7 days you haven't covered with that feeling.

I find it's best to switch off and forget about it until you get word, sitting around waiting for a mail will fry your brain. These competitions are drawn out so you will be worn down by the end!

It's not easy to switch off I admit but defo worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

megabantz wrote: »
    I find it's best to switch off and forget about it until you get word, sitting around waiting for a mail will fry your brain. These competitions are drawn out so you will be worn down by the end!

It's not easy to switch off I admit but defo worth a try!
    "You will be worn down by the end"
    Never truer words said!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

Results will be delivered digitally through the Message board the same way the notification of the aptitude was delivered. This is fact direct from public jobs

Regarding results im told "We hope to have them done before christmas" again i was told this directly.

Im going to hope that will be the case. Would be nice to know one way or another whats on the cards for 2016

DFB or no DFB that is the question!

• Advertisement

Anyone get a result yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

123kid2014 wrote:
    Anyone get a result yet?

Got my result and absolutly delighted with it!!!!! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Results out now, Although may be confusing with regards to the order of merit, in that they dont mention how many will be going forward to the next stage so even if you pass you still may not get called to the next stage depending on how many they take through

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Got my result and absolutly delighted with it!!!!! :):)

Ye I got just over a 1000 on order of merit but it says u may or may not get called for next stage . Supervised tests next

****. Wasn't expecting where I placed. I just hope I can replicate it on the supervised tests should I get that far :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Any idea on how many will be called forward? I'm around 1800 and don't know wat to think

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Any idea on how many will be called forward? I'm around 1800 and don't know wat to think

I've no idea . I'd be surprised if anyone knows exactly

They could do it like the garda recruitment, the first 500 were called and went through the testing/interview process. Then as more were needed down the line the called the next set of numbers were called upon for their supervised tests, or they could just pick whatever number to test and the rest get cut which may be more realistic given its not as big a recruitment as the garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

The lower the number on the order of merit the better, is it?
    I got just under 300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Zion84

Do we know how many candidates sat the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 choppa

I just uploaded the information booklet to google drive if anybody needs to download it send me pm as I cant post the link here.

Looks like physicals come after the interview...

Does anybody know if all the stages are ranked?

Got just under 240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is the next round for everyone another aptitude test or is it only the highest scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

From looking at the feedback, I'm not in band 1 :(

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is the next round for everyone another aptitude test or is it only the highest scorers?

No not everyone who passed will get called. It states they will call up people in the order of merit assigned after round 1. They will call people starting at position 1 until they achieve the required numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

Bit of a pain knowing that ye scored way above average, but still doubtful for a call up!!!!

• Advertisement

I read the first paragraph and it said I qualified in order of merit ... Happy days. Then I read the end of the email and still in the dark . Just ove 1500 .....I.wonder if HR would let you know?

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many will be called to next round??
    I got 220. Don't know if that is good enough.

Ah come on think about it for a sec. If somebody who scored 220 doesn't get called up then what does that mean less than 200 go through for next round, then that round cuts people and you have less than 200 people going for interview for 200 panel places???

At least the first 1500 should expect to get through!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

megabantz wrote:
    Ah come on think about it for a sec. If somebody who scored 220 doesn't get called up then what does that mean less than 200 go through for next round, then that round cuts people and you have less than 200 people going for interview for 200 panel places???

megabantz wrote:
    At least the first 1500 should expect to get through!

Didn't know there was 200 panel places. Thanks

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Didn't know there was 200 panel places. Thanks

Nothing has officially been advertised but it's always been 200 roughly. They take what they need from the panel then. The only guaranteed thing is 66 jobs I believe but that's not to say it changes in 2017 and they use the remainder of the panel.

I would say they will call a certain number to the next round to verify the results and then move on from there. Can't imagine more tests there was quite alot in the first stage.

I'm honesly bricking it, don't know how I managed it but I am below 100 and don't know if I can get the same result. It must have been a fluke, I am ****ting it for them maths questions again .

• Advertisement

Good question

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lucanone

I would love to know what the number of people will be called to next stage....I think it's a bit harsh in ways as individuals could easily have gotten assistance for the online test and others lose out.

May be worth contacting public jobs for additional info and see if they can elaborate a bit more on numbers.

As for the next round a friend is on the internal recruitment and there most certainly was/is additional tests for the next round along with the ones already done.

Firstly congratulations to all who got their results and the best of luck to all in the process.

So lads here is how a panel works,

7000+ people applied for the role of Firefighter with DCC (This is confirmed)

Then as the results say the top candidates are called forward for the next round (in this case is an aptitude in person) this is designed to weed out anyone who can not recreate the same score they got in an online enviroment. It will consist of some of the same style aptitudes but will also contain the dreaded "Observation" where a video is played and you have to recall the info in your answers.

Stage 2) my guess is 1000 people will be called forward for this aptitude. I also guess 300 ish will be culled

Stage 3) Interview: my guess 200 will be culled down to 500 candidates

Stage 4) Physical (Bleeps test, fitness test doctor examination) and Fire Brigade practical (are you afraid of heights, confined spaces etc) again my guess will be 150 celled at this stage bringing a final panel down to 350 candidates

My opinion is a panel of 350 candidates will be drawn down over a 3 year period with approximately 3 classes of 50 firefighters being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm getting scared that i wont be able to repeat the same score in supervised aptitude test!! Finished waaaayyy higher than expected (just oitside top 50), convinced i was reading message wrong!! Going to be so nervous now that i'll mess up and they'll think i was cheating 1st time round!!! Still shocked with result!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

TicTacDoc - Worth noting the Physical and Medical are two totally separate entities.

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I'm getting scared that i wont be able to repeat the same score in supervised aptitude test!! Finished waaaayyy higher than expected (just oitside top 50), convinced i was reading message wrong!! Going to be so nervous now that i'll mess up and they'll think i was cheating 1st time round!!! Still shocked with result!

If you did the same online you should be able to do the same in person dont worry. I'd be worried for anyone that may have had friends help them answer questions or google on the online aptitude. They will be found out in the next exam. I know some lads did that for Dublin Airport but they never did an in person aptitude.

Anyway i have been looking back at the 2007 recruitment and i can see that there were 7000 candidates and 801 went through to interview (this is fact). And finally a panel of 196 was formed in 2007. 2 classes went through over a 2/3 year period but the second half of the panel was later scrapped in 2012.

Interestingly my prediction above that 350 would go on the panel i now this was way off. and here is why.....

In September 2015 DFB threatened strike action by not working over time. the outcome of this was this very recruitment campaign. During the threat of strike action it was confirmed 70 Firefighters were required and by Christmas (2015) it would be as many as 100 (see this article to confirm) http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0921/729300-dublin-fire-brigade/

Now we all know their was an "Internal recruitment". And this class is im told is of 50 and due to start in January/February (which lasts 6 months) so the earliest a class from this recruitment can start is 6 months after that. now we are up to 100 new recruits by say January 2017. Then what? they may or may not need another class by then. and they may push out for a year after that if recruits are not required.

Also to mention a panel can naturally only last 2 years. it may be extended if DFB apply to have it for i think 1 year but maybe 2.

Long story short my guess is a final panel will be of 200-250 people recruited over a 2/3 year period. but i wont be surprised if the last class does not get called. cost nothing for DCC to have people lined up ready to go but does not use them

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    ade/[

Now we all know their was an "Internal recruitment". And this class is im told is of 50 and due to start in January/February (which lasts 6 months) so the earliest a class from this recruitment can start is 6 months after that. now we are up to 100 new recruits by say January 2017. Then what? they may or may not need another class by then. and they may push out for a year after that if recruits are not required.

50 internally is massive, they may not need as massive number externally after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

To all the cheats.... Well done, fair play!!

Firerunner wrote: »
    To all the cheats.... Well done, fair play!!

Very bitter post.

How can somebody cheat that exam ?? I'm curious?

• Advertisement
Advertisement