Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whatever happened to the housing crisis ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

What will happen to crazy Dublin rents now? If this lockdown continues will there be a rental crash ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Rufeo wrote: »
    What will happen to crazy Dublin rents now? If this lockdown continues will there be a rental crash ?

Unfortunately not, there will be no rental crash..

There will still be a shortage of housing, so tenants will be unlikely to be able to shop around. Tenants will pay beyond what is sensible to keep a roof over their heads, having to sacrifice in other areas, such as groceries, not replacing cars until they are beyond economical repair etc.

Also do landlords really care whether the rent they set is affordable as long as there is sufficient demand for their property?
    The problem with 'free' market economics is it has never resulted in a fair market or promised to be a fair market and never will be until a government steps in with some form of control.
    While there is no or little rent control landlords will charge as much as they possibly can.

There is only two sensible ways to reduce rents in general and that is state funded housing on a massive scale, or the government significantly reducing the taxation it collects from the hosing market.
    Why do they charge 23% VAT on rents?
    Why is approximately 45% of the cost on a newly built home tax and other government charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

efanton wrote: »

There is only two sensible ways to reduce rents in general and that is state funded housing on a massive scale, or the government significantly reducing the taxation it collects from the hosing market.
    Why is approximately 45% of the cost on a newly built home tax and other government charges?

Agreed. An immediate points immigration system would also greatly assist. A moratorium on EU free movement. Work permits awarded to migrants working in areas in need of them (construction, healthcare). Subway and Boojum, it might be time the boss gets stuck in on the wraps. I'm assuming they worked something out from us reaching full employment circa 2000 and the EU opening up in 2003 so they can work something out, can't they.

Policy to be reviewed once the state has built/ encouraged the building of enough purchase and rental properties.

Of course there's about as much chance of the pope growing tits as FG, FF or the loony left considering this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,149 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Agreed. An immediate points immigration system would also greatly assist. A moratorium on EU free movement. Work permits awarded to migrants working in areas in need of them (construction, healthcare). Subway and Boojum, it might be time the boss gets stuck in on the wraps. I'm assuming they worked something out from us reaching full employment circa 2000 and the EU opening up in 2003 so they can work something out, can't they.

Policy to be reviewed once the state has built/ encouraged the building of enough purchase and rental properties.

Of course there's about as much chance of the pope growing tits as FG, FF or the loony left considering this.

as far as i know it's not possible to stop freedom of movement from the EU. which is fair enough given we agreed to it when we signed up and it benefits us as well.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

as far as i know it's not possible to stop freedom of movement from the EU. which is fair enough given we agreed to it when we signed up and it benefits us as well.

Of course it's not as you'd lose access to the market along with it, it's a CUCKOO idea which is why it was never and will never be considered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Of course it's not as you'd lose access to the market along with it, it's a CUCKOO idea which is why it was never and will never be considered

Hungary, Poland, Slovakia seem to do what parts suit them and they're not gone yet. Might be about time we tried it.

you are 100% correct.
    Hungary, Poland, Slovakia seem to do what parts suit them and they're not gone yet. Might be about time we tried it.

they are only refusing free movement from non-EU countries, something the rest of us can do and could always do.
    they aren't refusing freedom of movement from EU citizens as they cannot do so.
    i would expect EU citizens are unlikely to travel to those countries to live anyway as they do not have the opportunities available that countries such as france, germany, ourselves etc have.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The property crash MKII will be fun, coming to a county near you in 6 months.

But they are closing the EU borders with countries not in the EU, not the borders with EU countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The property crash MKII will be fun, coming to a county near you in 6 months.

There is no reason for a property crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1251395546629079045

No foreign students next year the likes of TCD,UCD,DIT etc
    No English language students either

No tourism so Air BnBs will go back to the rental market.

Hundreds of thousands will leave when the crisis is over as other countries recover faster
    Those 60,000 houses being built are going to be a problem as they won't be needed.

Hundreds of thousands will leave when the crisis is over as other countries recover faster
    Those 60,000 houses being built are going to be a problem as they won't be needed.

What make you think that students, especially foreign students, would be buying houses?

Agreed their will be extra availability in the private rental sector but being that most have their rents set above the limit set by the HAP scheme that extra accommodation will not diminish the need for additional social housing units.

Also what about the young couples that currently do not qualify for a mortgage, and neither ever likely to be able to. Is your solution for them to rent over priced rental accommodation for the rest of their lives?

Of course those additional social and affordable homes will still be needed unless you foresee dramatic reductions in the rents charged in the private rental market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There was a housing crisis ...... for working people/families who could not afford homes anymore, as there were was an issue of affordable accommodation for students.
    However, unfortunately, all of the political parties, including Fine Gael and Fianna Fail made it into a social housing crisis, and that is where their focused remained. Building social homes for people, many of whom were just playing the system by calling themselves "homeless". This lost FFG many seats in the last election.

They forgot about the workers and contributors of Irish society who could just not compete with the government, and councils, and "charities" who were buying up most of the available properties and building new houses for social welfare recipients and asylum seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Kivaro wrote: »
    There was a housing crisis ...... for working people/families who could not afford homes anymore, as there were was an issue of affordable accommodation for students.
    However, unfortunately, all of the political parties, including Fine Gael and Fianna Fail made it into a social housing crisis, and that is where their focused remained. Building social homes for people, many of whom were just playing the system by calling themselves "homeless". This lost FFG many seats in the last election.

They forgot about the workers and contributors of Irish society who could just not compete with the government, and councils, and "charities" who were buying up most of the available properties and building new houses for social welfare recipients and asylum seekers.

So they lost votes from people who are against social housing to SF who promised 100,000 social and affordable houses?

What make you think that students, especially foreign students, would be buying houses?

Agreed their will be extra availability in the private rental sector but being that most have their rents set above the limit set by the HAP scheme that extra accommodation will not diminish the need for additional social housing units.

Also what about the young couples that currently do not qualify for a mortgage, and neither ever likely to be able to. Is your solution for them to rent over priced rental accommodation for the rest of their lives?

Of course those additional social and affordable homes will still be needed unless you foresee dramatic reductions in the rents charged in the private rental market.

Rent prices are going to drop 40%+.

The Gov will be able to buy up houses on the cheap. We are looking at 400,000 people leaving Ireland overvthe next 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Gov will be able to buy up houses on the cheap. We are looking at 400,000 people leaving Ireland overvthe next 2 years.
    As Keelings fly in workers from Bulgaria

I very much doubt that.
    Landlords will continue to charge the maximum that they can get away with.

Many who have bought to let simply could not afford such a reduction, instead they will sell off the properties if rents reduce by that amount.

I doubt property values will drop significantly either.

So you will still be left with people unable to afford a mortgage, and rental cost of most properties being above the HAP limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We are looking at 400,000 people leaving Ireland overvthe next 2 years.
    where are you getting that from?

I very much doubt that.
    Landlords will continue to charge the maximum that they can get away with.

Many who have bought to let simply could not afford such a reduction, instead they will sell off the properties if rents reduce by that amount.

I doubt property values will drop significantly either.

So you will still be left with people unable to afford a mortgage, and rental cost of most properties being above the HAP limit.

Rents fell dramatically post 2008.

The same will happen again. The market sets thr rate not landlords.

https://www.fm104.ie/news/fm104-news/dublin-homes-advertised-online-have-rents-slashed/

• Advertisement

where are you getting that from?
    Sinn Feins economic plan. Always bang on with their figures

So they lost votes from people who are against social housing to SF who promised 100,000 social and affordable houses?
    It was a protest vote.
    Many people who would not generally vote for Sinn Fein did so in an effort for change. Change is what most people want. They do not want the same FFG hollow promises to help the worker.

I'm sure if/when Sinn Fein gets into government, they were realise that their promise of 100,000 social homes for the people gaming the system is not practical or sustainable. If the homes are for the disabled, low income workers, and other contributors in society, then they would get buy-in from the majority of tax payers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Kivaro wrote:
    I'm sure if/when Sinn Fein gets into government, they were realise that their promise of 100,000 social homes for the people gaming the system is not practical or sustainable. If the homes are for the disabled, low income workers, and other contributors in society, then they would get buy-in from the majority of tax payers.

Will alternatives such as sf ever get into government? Who's gaming the system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

You really haven’t got a clue what you are talking about. Where are they going to go? You’re talking in hope. Pathetic doom merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What's this fcuking nonsense!

With the tone of your posts it’s probably ly best you leave with them. Every single post is doom and gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Alot of high end student accommodation in current construction and alot finished in the last three years.this is going to be a bumpy ride.

It was known that private properties were being used as AirBnB lets. In other words, homes built for family use were instead being used as business ventures, thereby depriving individuals and families of a home.
    It’s a side effect of the current crisis that so many of these properties are now becoming available for the use they were built for.

It was a protest vote.
    Many people who would not generally vote for Sinn Fein did so in an effort for change. Change is what most people want. They do not want the same FFG hollow promises to help the worker.

we will see if it is actually a protest vote at the next election, or whether it is actually just wishful thinking by some that it is, and is in fact a genuine vote for them. realistically it's highly likely a genuine vote for them, as people are not scared of the big bad sf bogey man that has been created and used by some for many years, anymore.
    the houses would be going to many different types of people who are unable to house themselves within the market either in private rentals or via buying. a number will indeed be gaming the system, but plenty of others will be in actual need, and those gaming the system are not a reason against the very necessary social and affordable housing program that ultimately has to happen.
    ireland has huge catching up to do in terms of infrastructure generally, so the building of such infrastructure will have to get practical and sustainable.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    There is no reason for a property crash

Except for the major recession that is coming.

we will see if it is actually a protest vote at the next election, or whether it is actually just wishful thinking by some that it is, and is in fact a genuine vote for them. realistically it's highly likely a genuine vote for them, as people are not scared of the big bad sf bogey man that has been created and used by some for many years, anymore.
    the houses would be going to many different types of people who are unable to house themselves within the market either in private rentals or via buying. a number will indeed be gaming the system, but plenty of others will be in actual need, and those gaming the system are not a reason against the very necessary social and affordable housing program that ultimately has to happen.
    ireland has huge catching up to do in terms of infrastructure generally, so the building of such infrastructure will have to get practical and sustainable.

That is what I was thinking too about the protest vote ...... if the Greens or Labour ask for too much from FFG, and if we keep flattening the curve, then a general election could be called for 2 or 3 months down the road. Then it will be interesting to see if the same people (and even more) vote for Sinn Fein again.

Many people would still probably prefer a different party in power the next time around. And based on the bewildering manifesto released by FFG last week, where they took us all to be fools with the unrealistic lacking-in-detail promises, Sinn Fein could well be the party with most votes at the next election.

• Advertisement

That is what I was thinking too about the protest vote ...... if the Greens or Labour ask for too much from FFG, and if we keep flattening the curve, then a general election could be called for 2 or 3 months down the road. Then it will be interesting to see if the same people (and even more) vote for Sinn Fein again.

Many people would still probably prefer a different party in power the next time around. And based on the bewildering manifesto released by FFG last week, where they took us all to be fools with the unrealistic lacking-in-detail promises, Sinn Fein could well be the party with most votes at the next election.

Only a fool would buy what SF were/are trying to sell. They would ruin the country. Unfortunately the best parties to lead us through this are FG FF and whoever else they get in.

Possibly so. And everyone will be five years wiser. Micheal Martin will be gone as Taoiseach
    and FF leader. The new FF will be ready to talk to SF who after five years sanitising will be acceptable for Government. There is no way FF will leave FG into power

Edgware wrote: »
    Possibly so. And everyone will be five years wiser. Micheal Martin will be gone as Taoiseach
    and FF leader. The new FF will be ready to talk to SF who after five years sanitising will be acceptable for Government. There is no way FF will leave FG into power

I think it will take longer than 5 years to sanitise SF. Once the dail gets you and running we will see the quality of some of their elected representatives.

sf are perfectly fine, the big scarey bogy man that they are claimed to be does not exist, it's fiction and enough people know this at this stage hence the amount who voted for them and will do so again as they know there is nothing to fear from an sf government.

sf are perfectly fine, the big scarey bogy man that they are claimed to be does not exist, it's fiction and enough people know this at this stage hence the amount who voted for them and will do so again as they know there is nothing to fear from an sf government.

Well you keep thinking that if you like.. I’m not talking about the criminal and terrorists they report to but the actual elected representatives and what they can do for the country. Their economic policies are laughable, views on justice, magic money trees, Performance in Northern Ireland.

Hubertj wrote: »
    Well you keep thinking that if you like.. I’m not talking about the criminal and terrorists they report to but the actual elected representatives and what they can do for the country. Their economic policies are laughable, views on justice, magic money trees, Performance in Northern Ireland.

clearly this isn't the case hence the amount of votes they got.
    if things were as you say then nobody would vote for them.
    plenty of us voted for them, because we know there is nothing to fear and their policies are actually good and generally deliverable, all though i can agree the current crisis may set things back.

clearly this isn't the case hence the amount of votes they got.
    if things were as you say then nobody would vote for them.
    plenty of us voted for them, because we know there is nothing to fear and their policies are actually good and generally deliverable, all though i can agree the current crisis may set things back.

Let’s agree to disagree and see what happens. Many many more people didn’t vote for SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Tons of air Bnbs available for rent, feckall people waiting on trolleys. Not alot for Sinn fein I mean the opposition to be complaining about!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭robinbird

Tons of air Bnbs available for rent, feckall people waiting on trolleys. Not alot for Sinn fein I mean the opposition to be complaining about!

Eoghan Murphy has already paid landlords to take 350 dublin airbnbs off the rental market before they can negatively affect supply and rent levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shinners are fkd. FG stole their clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see during the week the headcount for rough sleepers was only 25 in Dublin ,

Gatling wrote: »

How do you suggest that head count took place?

Did they all come out of hiding and line up to be counted? Did we have civil servants scouring every street, bit of waste ground or park looking for them?

There's a lot of them still out there, Where they used to sleep together in small groups for protection and safety now most of them are sleeping isolated and alone in locations off the beaten track or where it is like they will not be disturbed because of this virus.

Thankfully we are not in the midst of winter, where its likely many of them would be dying of hypothermia rather than risk catching Covid-19 in a homeless refuge dormitory.

Homelessness has not diminished, nor will the housing crisis once this epidemic has passed.

given the pandemic situation i would expect rough sleepers are in suitable temporary accommodation while it lasts.
    rough sleeping is likely a lot lower in the uk as well.
    so it's not a case that a problem is not a problem after all or never was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Unfortunately not, there will be no rental crash.

I know this is an old post, but there appears to evidence mounting that rents are indeed falling.
    The problem with 'free' market economics is it has never resulted in a fair market or promised to be a fair market and never will be until a government steps in with some form of control.

Anyone who thinks there is a free market in the housing/rental sector is beyond deluded. It is one of the most heavily regulated sectors in the economy.

While there is no or little rent control landlords will charge as much as they possibly can.

Rent preasure zones?

They dont

This figure is bogus!
    By all means, we can have a discussion on housing, but most of what is posted above is just factually wrong.

robinbird wrote: »
    Eoghan Murphy has already paid landlords to take 350 dublin airbnbs off the rental market before they can negatively affect supply and rent levels.

I didn’t read that anywhere? Can you send a link as it sounds strange. Where are the 350 units? How would 350 units negatively impact supply and rent levels in a country of about 5M people?

How do you suggest that head count took place?

given the pandemic situation i would expect rough sleepers are in suitable temporary accommodation while it lasts.
    rough sleeping is likely a lot lower in the uk as well.
    so it's not a case that a problem is not a problem after all or never was.

Lots of them in hotels, of course some will refuse that option also for whatever reason. If you refuse hotel accommodation where you've your own room etc so the risk of attack/bullying etc like in hostels is more or less eliminated then there's not much that can be done to be fair.

Some have pets of course which presents a challenge also.

Bottom line. SF are the same as the rest of them. They will change policies as soon as they are in power. They can roar all the like about a Border Poll etc unless we suddenly discover gold or oil we will never be able to afford unification. The Loyalist/Unionist bloc and a good percentage on the nationalist bloc will be very happy to keep taking sterling

I didn’t read that anywhere? Can you send a link as it sounds strange. Where are the 350 units? How would 350 units negatively impact supply and rent levels in a country of about 5M people?
    I heard that he is allocating them to Bulgarian strawberry pickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

robinbird wrote: »

Say what?

Is this a new level of crackpot theories?

This doesn't make sense at so many different levels that it is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

blanch152 wrote: »
    Say what?

Is this a new level of crackpot theories?

This doesn't make sense at so many different levels that it is incredible.

That’s because it’s ****ing nonsense that belongs on Facebook.

Advertisement