Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to the housing crisis ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So they lost votes from people who are against social housing to SF who promised 100,000 social and affordable houses?
    It was a protest vote.
    Many people who would not generally vote for Sinn Fein did so in an effort for change. Change is what most people want. They do not want the same FFG hollow promises to help the worker.

I'm sure if/when Sinn Fein gets into government, they were realise that their promise of 100,000 social homes for the people gaming the system is not practical or sustainable. If the homes are for the disabled, low income workers, and other contributors in society, then they would get buy-in from the majority of tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Kivaro wrote:
    I'm sure if/when Sinn Fein gets into government, they were realise that their promise of 100,000 social homes for the people gaming the system is not practical or sustainable. If the homes are for the disabled, low income workers, and other contributors in society, then they would get buy-in from the majority of tax payers.

Will alternatives such as sf ever get into government? Who's gaming the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Rent prices are going to drop 40%+.

The Gov will be able to buy up houses on the cheap. We are looking at 400,000 people leaving Ireland overvthe next 2 years.

You really haven’t got a clue what you are talking about. Where are they going to go? You’re talking in hope. Pathetic doom merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Gov will be able to buy up houses on the cheap. We are looking at 400,000 people leaving Ireland overvthe next 2 years.

What's this fcuking nonsense!

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1251395546629079045

No foreign students next year the likes of TCD,UCD,DIT etc
    No English language students either

No tourism so Air BnBs will go back to the rental market.

Hundreds of thousands will leave when the crisis is over as other countries recover faster
    Those 60,000 houses being built are going to be a problem as they won't be needed.

With the tone of your posts it’s probably ly best you leave with them. Every single post is doom and gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1251395546629079045

No foreign students next year the likes of TCD,UCD,DIT etc
    No English language students either

No tourism so Air BnBs will go back to the rental market.

Hundreds of thousands will leave when the crisis is over as other countries recover faster
    Those 60,000 houses being built are going to be a problem as they won't be needed.

Alot of high end student accommodation in current construction and alot finished in the last three years.this is going to be a bumpy ride.

It was known that private properties were being used as AirBnB lets. In other words, homes built for family use were instead being used as business ventures, thereby depriving individuals and families of a home.
    It’s a side effect of the current crisis that so many of these properties are now becoming available for the use they were built for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Kivaro wrote: »
    It was a protest vote.
    Many people who would not generally vote for Sinn Fein did so in an effort for change. Change is what most people want. They do not want the same FFG hollow promises to help the worker.

we will see if it is actually a protest vote at the next election, or whether it is actually just wishful thinking by some that it is, and is in fact a genuine vote for them. realistically it's highly likely a genuine vote for them, as people are not scared of the big bad sf bogey man that has been created and used by some for many years, anymore.
    the houses would be going to many different types of people who are unable to house themselves within the market either in private rentals or via buying. a number will indeed be gaming the system, but plenty of others will be in actual need, and those gaming the system are not a reason against the very necessary social and affordable housing program that ultimately has to happen.
    ireland has huge catching up to do in terms of infrastructure generally, so the building of such infrastructure will have to get practical and sustainable.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    There is no reason for a property crash

Except for the major recession that is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

we will see if it is actually a protest vote at the next election, or whether it is actually just wishful thinking by some that it is, and is in fact a genuine vote for them. realistically it's highly likely a genuine vote for them, as people are not scared of the big bad sf bogey man that has been created and used by some for many years, anymore.
    the houses would be going to many different types of people who are unable to house themselves within the market either in private rentals or via buying. a number will indeed be gaming the system, but plenty of others will be in actual need, and those gaming the system are not a reason against the very necessary social and affordable housing program that ultimately has to happen.
    ireland has huge catching up to do in terms of infrastructure generally, so the building of such infrastructure will have to get practical and sustainable.

That is what I was thinking too about the protest vote ...... if the Greens or Labour ask for too much from FFG, and if we keep flattening the curve, then a general election could be called for 2 or 3 months down the road. Then it will be interesting to see if the same people (and even more) vote for Sinn Fein again.

Many people would still probably prefer a different party in power the next time around. And based on the bewildering manifesto released by FFG last week, where they took us all to be fools with the unrealistic lacking-in-detail promises, Sinn Fein could well be the party with most votes at the next election.

• Advertisement

That is what I was thinking too about the protest vote ...... if the Greens or Labour ask for too much from FFG, and if we keep flattening the curve, then a general election could be called for 2 or 3 months down the road. Then it will be interesting to see if the same people (and even more) vote for Sinn Fein again.

Many people would still probably prefer a different party in power the next time around. And based on the bewildering manifesto released by FFG last week, where they took us all to be fools with the unrealistic lacking-in-detail promises, Sinn Fein could well be the party with most votes at the next election.

Only a fool would buy what SF were/are trying to sell. They would ruin the country. Unfortunately the best parties to lead us through this are FG FF and whoever else they get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Possibly so. And everyone will be five years wiser. Micheal Martin will be gone as Taoiseach
    and FF leader. The new FF will be ready to talk to SF who after five years sanitising will be acceptable for Government. There is no way FF will leave FG into power

Edgware wrote: »
    Possibly so. And everyone will be five years wiser. Micheal Martin will be gone as Taoiseach
    and FF leader. The new FF will be ready to talk to SF who after five years sanitising will be acceptable for Government. There is no way FF will leave FG into power

I think it will take longer than 5 years to sanitise SF. Once the dail gets you and running we will see the quality of some of their elected representatives.

sf are perfectly fine, the big scarey bogy man that they are claimed to be does not exist, it's fiction and enough people know this at this stage hence the amount who voted for them and will do so again as they know there is nothing to fear from an sf government.

sf are perfectly fine, the big scarey bogy man that they are claimed to be does not exist, it's fiction and enough people know this at this stage hence the amount who voted for them and will do so again as they know there is nothing to fear from an sf government.

Well you keep thinking that if you like.. I’m not talking about the criminal and terrorists they report to but the actual elected representatives and what they can do for the country. Their economic policies are laughable, views on justice, magic money trees, Performance in Northern Ireland.

Hubertj wrote: »
    Well you keep thinking that if you like.. I’m not talking about the criminal and terrorists they report to but the actual elected representatives and what they can do for the country. Their economic policies are laughable, views on justice, magic money trees, Performance in Northern Ireland.

clearly this isn't the case hence the amount of votes they got.
    if things were as you say then nobody would vote for them.
    plenty of us voted for them, because we know there is nothing to fear and their policies are actually good and generally deliverable, all though i can agree the current crisis may set things back.

clearly this isn't the case hence the amount of votes they got.
    if things were as you say then nobody would vote for them.
    plenty of us voted for them, because we know there is nothing to fear and their policies are actually good and generally deliverable, all though i can agree the current crisis may set things back.

Let’s agree to disagree and see what happens. Many many more people didn’t vote for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Tons of air Bnbs available for rent, feckall people waiting on trolleys. Not alot for Sinn fein I mean the opposition to be complaining about!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Tons of air Bnbs available for rent, feckall people waiting on trolleys. Not alot for Sinn fein I mean the opposition to be complaining about!

Eoghan Murphy has already paid landlords to take 350 dublin airbnbs off the rental market before they can negatively affect supply and rent levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shinners are fkd. FG stole their clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see during the week the headcount for rough sleepers was only 25 in Dublin ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Gatling wrote: »

How do you suggest that head count took place?

Did they all come out of hiding and line up to be counted? Did we have civil servants scouring every street, bit of waste ground or park looking for them?

There's a lot of them still out there, Where they used to sleep together in small groups for protection and safety now most of them are sleeping isolated and alone in locations off the beaten track or where it is like they will not be disturbed because of this virus.

Thankfully we are not in the midst of winter, where its likely many of them would be dying of hypothermia rather than risk catching Covid-19 in a homeless refuge dormitory.

Homelessness has not diminished, nor will the housing crisis once this epidemic has passed.

given the pandemic situation i would expect rough sleepers are in suitable temporary accommodation while it lasts.
    rough sleeping is likely a lot lower in the uk as well.
    so it's not a case that a problem is not a problem after all or never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

efanton wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, there will be no rental crash.

I know this is an old post, but there appears to evidence mounting that rents are indeed falling.
    The problem with 'free' market economics is it has never resulted in a fair market or promised to be a fair market and never will be until a government steps in with some form of control.

Anyone who thinks there is a free market in the housing/rental sector is beyond deluded. It is one of the most heavily regulated sectors in the economy.

While there is no or little rent control landlords will charge as much as they possibly can.

Rent preasure zones?

Why do they charge 23% VAT on rents?

They dont
    Why is approximately 45% of the cost on a newly built home tax and other government charges?

This figure is bogus!
    By all means, we can have a discussion on housing, but most of what is posted above is just factually wrong.

robinbird wrote: »
    Eoghan Murphy has already paid landlords to take 350 dublin airbnbs off the rental market before they can negatively affect supply and rent levels.

I didn’t read that anywhere? Can you send a link as it sounds strange. Where are the 350 units? How would 350 units negatively impact supply and rent levels in a country of about 5M people?

efanton wrote: »
    How do you suggest that head count took place?

given the pandemic situation i would expect rough sleepers are in suitable temporary accommodation while it lasts.
    rough sleeping is likely a lot lower in the uk as well.
    so it's not a case that a problem is not a problem after all or never was.

Lots of them in hotels, of course some will refuse that option also for whatever reason. If you refuse hotel accommodation where you've your own room etc so the risk of attack/bullying etc like in hostels is more or less eliminated then there's not much that can be done to be fair.

Some have pets of course which presents a challenge also.

Bottom line. SF are the same as the rest of them. They will change policies as soon as they are in power. They can roar all the like about a Border Poll etc unless we suddenly discover gold or oil we will never be able to afford unification. The Loyalist/Unionist bloc and a good percentage on the nationalist bloc will be very happy to keep taking sterling

I didn’t read that anywhere? Can you send a link as it sounds strange. Where are the 350 units? How would 350 units negatively impact supply and rent levels in a country of about 5M people?
    I heard that he is allocating them to Bulgarian strawberry pickers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

robinbird wrote: »

Say what?

Is this a new level of crackpot theories?

This doesn't make sense at so many different levels that it is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

blanch152 wrote: »
    Say what?

Is this a new level of crackpot theories?

This doesn't make sense at so many different levels that it is incredible.

That’s because it’s ****ing nonsense that belongs on Facebook.

Advertisement