Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to the housing crisis ?

Options

Comments

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not an estimate - it's an actuality.
    Garlow Cross to Blanch Corporate Park (near Bank of Ireland)

Yeah ......... I worked in a site in Blanch a couple of years ago, I'd not like to work in Dublin as such though.

I don't think folk consider Blanch, CityWest, Swords etc as Dublin when folk are discussing commuting to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The strangest thing about all of this is that the only reason anyone ever heard of Margaret Cash was because she was championed by Homelessness Activists and the media as a representative of Ireland's Homeless Crisis. Now they all protest at her being brought up in any discussion on the grounds that she apparently isn't representative at all. They can't have it both ways.

The same goes for virtually any representative of homelessness the grievance industry champions. They first get presented as a lionised victim, a little digging (that a proper media should have done in the first place) reveals some very inconvenient truths, and then the representative is never spoken of again except to bemoan "right-wing obsession" with the same person that they shouted about from the rooftops.

For instance:

all that shows is that the homeless activists can admit when they get it wrong.
    that's a good thing and should be aplauded.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Long_Wave wrote: »
    You had Dick Boyd Barrett out calling for all building sites to be closed last week. What ever happened to the housing shortage emergency? Not a word about it since early February.

The whingers stopped whinging about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

The whingers stopped whinging about it.

They didn’t stop whinging at all - only much more important things have taken over now from whether Jacinta and her baggy fanny and no job gets a house or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I have to stay, I'm pretty disgusted at the way some people call themselves 'homeless' when they have a perfectly good family home to stay in. I've met some of these people and just felt total contempt for them. I am estranged from my family and haven't been able to live with them since I was 18, so have been forced to rent anything I could find, even when earning barely any money, and some people feel entitled to a nice shiny flat just because they've had a child they couldn't afford?

Even when I was between jobs/flats and had to stay with a friend for a while, I wouldn't have had the nerve to call myself homeless, with a roof over my head, food to eat and safety. FFS there are people sleeping on the streets every night!

• Advertisement

Blaze420 wrote: »
    They didn’t stop whinging at all - only much more important things have taken over now from whether Jacinta and her baggy fanny and no job gets a house or not

yes, insuring that social and affordable housing is built so that workers and the most vulnerable in our society can have affordable housing is still very much a live issue, however the current situation means it has to take a bit of a back seat for now until we are out the other side of this, whenever that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yes, insuring that social and affordable housing is built so that workers and the most vulnerable in our society can have affordable housing is still very much a live issue, however the current situation means it has to take a bit of a back seat for now until we are out the other side of this, whenever that will be.

Can I ask though, if somebody intentionally through only their own actions makes themselves part of the 'most vulnerable' category to achieve a certain outcome, do they deserve that factor to be completely ignored while we debate housing policy or can we mention that those people should be treated differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Can I ask though, if somebody intentionally through only their own actions makes themselves part of the 'most vulnerable' category to achieve a certain outcome, do they deserve that factor to be completely ignored while we debate housing policy or can we mention that those people should be treated differently.

That’s exactly what they are doing - kid after kid after kid to climb the ladder and the gullible fools like focus Ireland putting out adverts guilt tripping the rest of us for children being born in to homelessness. Hope cv19 gets a taste for the Maggie Cash and Erican Flemings of this country

That’s exactly what they are doing - kid after kid after kid to climb the ladder and the gullible fools like focus Ireland putting out adverts guilt tripping the rest of us for children being born in to homelessness.

good for focus ireland, doing a good service for the most vulnerable in our society.
    the people having multiple children to climb the ladder generally find out quite quickly that they won't be getting a house any time soon if at all.
    Hope cv19 gets a taste for the Maggie Cash and Erican Flemings of this country

lovely stuff.
    keep digging that hole.
    not long now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Is there anyone on Earth that you don't wish ill upon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Hahaha!;. Jacinta and her baggy fanny...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mods, can you not permaban this dope?

Seriously, all he does is post unreconstructed hatred. The guy is morally defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yurt! wrote: »

Seriously, all he does is post unreconstructed hatred. The guy is morally defective.
    ah we need comedy in these troubled times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Hahaha!;. Jacinta and her baggy fanny...

Yeah, misogyny is ****ing hilarious.

ah we need comedy in these troubled times

I don't think this guy meets the bar of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nesta2018 wrote: »

even this kind of po-faced disapproving finger wagging is quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

"I don't agree with his opinions or the way he expresses them, ban him!"

We all know where that can lead.
    Nesta2018 wrote: »

Quite a lot of it is very funny, yeah.

"my opinion says no"

Who died and made you spokesman for Boards.Inc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Anyone hoping for a huge social housing building boom to solve the crisis can forget about it now. The money tree is now bare. SF ran on building massive amounts of public houses. That's even more impossible now. We won't be hearing from them again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah there will be no populist/lefty initiatives this year anyway, all available cash will go to supporting businesses and people who lost jobs/hours due to this virus.

Yeah there will be no populist/lefty initiatives this year anyway, all available cash will go to supporting businesses and people who lost jobs/hours due to this virus.

So you are telling me that supports will be given to people and businesses who contribute to the economy? The same people who have through their payment of income tax made it possible for Ireland to fund the response to the crisis ?

Shouldn't be any other way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Says the guy who claims other posters are "suffering from some sort of psychosis."
    Way to go accusing people of having mental health issues because they disagree with you.
    And you were the first poster on this thread to used inflammatory words like "right-wing I'm alright Jack scumbaggery", actually lots of "scumbags" references because posters differ from you, and you introduce sexual references in other posts on this thread for some odd reason e.g. "boner" etc.

Your intent is to shut down debate on this topic, which is why you continuously try to de-rail this thread. And now you are trying to get mods to permban posters. I can't imagine the type of job you have if this is how you behave in real life. You have shown repeatedly that you are unsuited to reasonable discourse, which is why you are now on my ignore list, and I'm sure others will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Blueshoe wrote: »
    So you are telling me that supports will be given to people and businesses who contribute to the economy? The same people who have through their payment of income tax made it possible for Ireland to fund the response to the crisis ?

Shouldn't be any other way
    I see the point you are making, but supports to businesses and job creation/retention is a lot less lefty than building a load of free gaffs.

Money for businesses, job retention and for health supplies is needed here. Not for ms cash and her ilk

I see the point you are making, but supports to businesses and job creation/retention is a lot less lefty than building a load of free gaffs.

Money for businesses, job retention and for health supplies is needed here. Not for ms cash and her ilk

I agree 100%. My post may have been poorly laid out.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Says the guy who claims other posters are "suffering from some sort of psychosis."
    Way to go accusing people of having mental health issues because they disagree with you.
    And you were the first poster on this thread to used inflammatory words like "right-wing I'm alright Jack scumbaggery", actually lots of "scumbags" references because posters differ from you, and you introduce sexual references in other posts on this thread for some odd reason e.g. "boner" etc.

Your intent is to shut down debate on this topic, which is why you continuously try to de-rail this thread. And now you are trying to get mods to permban posters. I can't imagine the type of job you have if this is how you behave in real life. You have shown repeatedly that you are unsuited to reasonable discourse, which is why you are now on my ignore list, and I'm sure others will follow suit.

How would I ever recover from the blow of being on your ignore life.

Speaking of real life, try to introduce your garbled crap to friends and family and see if they think wishing a virus on someone is good craic and 'comedy'.

You've lost the plot, couch you're words in language like 'discourse' all you want. Specimens like Blaze (and perhaps yourself all truth told) need to be sent to the hills. You're miserable people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I very much hope that you are not suggesting the DEASP Christmas BONUS should be halted this year :eek: ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

That’s exactly what they are doing - kid after kid after kid to climb the ladder and the gullible fools like focus Ireland putting out adverts guilt tripping the rest of us for children being born in to homelessness. Hope cv19 gets a taste for the Maggie Cash and Erican Flemings of this country
    You are right up until last sentence. Rearing kids into welfare class in a time of (pre-covid-19) almost 100% employment is a form of child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Anyone hoping for a huge social housing building boom to solve the crisis can forget about it now. The money tree is now bare. SF ran on building massive amounts of public houses. That's even more impossible now. We won't be hearing from them again

People keep bringing this up as if it's a good thing.

The longer Margaret Cash et al are without a standard council house, the longer they are in HAP etc tenacies at double the long term cost.

The longer they are in these the longer they place congestion, and thus raised rent prices, on the private rental market.

Rapidly build three new mid to high rise flat pack Ballymuns in North, West and South Dublin is frankly the best option right now, rather than Part V, infill on existing estates and "estates" that are usually no more than 40 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

You should look further than the shop window. A few discussions going on in their forums, about punters being uncomfortable with women still working throughout this.
    I am a professional massage therapist, I do not provide sexual services.

I am not shaming anyone for their decisions - What I do have is a large number of men requesting sexual services - if men were not asking for this service then the girls wouldn't be in a position to make money from them.

No doubt they've also raised their prices if the demand is greater than the supply. Don't be blaming the sex workers, you don't know their personal circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I very much hope that you are not suggesting the DEASP Christmas BONUS should be halted this year :eek: ?
    Don't be a scrooge Alek.
    It only costs the tax payer €279,000,000 every year for this bonus.

Looking at the 2020 budget and the social welfare cost of €21.2 billion, the €279 million that was allocated for the Christmas bonus this year will have to be greatly increased based on the recent pandemic unemployment numbers.

Or, we could just scrap the Christmas bonus and ask everyone in this country help pay the cost of this crisis, and not just the workers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Kivaro wrote: »
    Don't be a scrooge Alek.

Or, we could just scrap the Christmas bonus and ask everyone in this country help pay the cost of this crisis, and not just the workers.

Be a brave politician whoever would propose that.

Advertisement