Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they just filthy bastards in Ballymun and North Dublin City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Bet they have money for smokes though.

And drink and gambling and drugs and nice new tracksuits and runners.

Anything else they’re entitled to so pay zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

There are well more places that should have made this list of blacks pots.

N32 before M50.
    Darndale and the roundabout area down to Tesco
    Parts of Donaghmede
    Killbarrack
    Edenmore.... pretty much most of Dublin 5 with the exception of Raheny.
    Parts of Swords
    Clontart causeway - look in the rocks on your next walk!
    Fairview park now and again
    St Anne's Park most days.
    Whole of the Northside Dartline and most stations.

Pretty much all of North Dublin. Corpo couldn't care less about that side of city. Ballymun is not alone.

The posh people have a different way of littering with their plastic dog sh*t bags....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A mate of mine used to live in an estate in clondakin . I was over at his house one day and his neighbours took the sofa out of their house , dragged it to a nearby green and set it on fire. Me mate said it happens fairly regular , instead of having to pay to dump stuff, they'd just burn it on the green .

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Lived in an apartment in Santry years ago and the council started rehousing people from the Ballymun towers there temporarily. Jesus the mess they created.
    Just threw bags of rubbish out of windows. Place got infested with rats.
    The communal bins where underground and some of them used to just throw the bags down the stairs. Try getting through dirty nappies and leftover curries to get to my car each morning in office wear.

Bin fees included in management fees so nothing to do with money. Just dirty filthy animals. Glad I’m out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

A mate of mine used to live in an estate in clondakin . I was over at his house one day and his neighbours took the sofa out of their house , dragged it to a nearby green and set it on fire. Me mate said it happens fairly regular , instead of having to pay to dump stuff, they'd just burn it on the green .

That literally just happened here, sure the fines if your caught are probably less than having it taken away legit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Being from Cork City myself not surprised by the results. Most of the northside is a tip anyway and well Mahon is on the southside but should be north of the Lee really.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Would love to see the Irish Green party response to this. Their solution is crush Irish workers with carbon tax and it should solve the above.

Is it?
    Maybe they might hire a few litter detection officers with the extra taxes and prosecute litter louts

As a few other posters have said, money for fags, cans and take away
    No money to pay for their rubbish however.
    And if they recycled and composted they'd probably reduce it by 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

We've been helping Africa for years ffs. How about they got off their lazy arses and helped themselves.

How have you personally helped “Africa”, and bundling a continent as “lazy” is just stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Many people like myself have bought ex council houses and have nice cars. Don't really see the point you are trying to make.

I said if people bought council houses and work - all grand and above board. But if you're a social tenant receiving social welfare and have a Porsche jeep then it's reasonable to ascertain where the money came from. If you have money to buy such a car, why do you need a council house?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Low income areas can't afford the bin charges that where privatised. Who'd have thought it.

No not they can't afford it.
    They can't be bothered to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Offer to double the dole for residents of Tidy Towns winners?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The level of litter and illegal dumping in a given area is reflective of the sense of civic pride residents have in their neighbourhood. It’s pretty apparent that there is little to zero civic pride in very deprived areas and the results of this litter survey are not in the least bit surprising.

There needs to be strict enforcement of litter laws and on the spot fines - the city council really need to put much more effort into this.

That said, the general level of litter in Dublin these days is much much better than the 1980s and early 1990s, when the city was a run down filthy tip with dereliction, vacant sites and general rubbish everywhere - and dog sh*t all over footpaths and grassy verges in suburban housing estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

The view from the Ikea restaurant is pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

seasidedub wrote: »
    I said if people bought council houses and work - all grand and above board. But if you're a social tenant receiving social welfare and have a Porsche jeep then it's reasonable to ascertain where the money came from. If you have money to buy such a car, why do you need a council house?

You are attempting (poorly) to make it sound like every other home in council estates have a Merc, BMW, Porsche etc... in the driveway. They don't and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

All this anti-Ballymun hate. Earlier this morning I walked through Ballymun and to the upper class snobs it was fine! There was no litter about, perhaps the surveyors surveyed Glasnevin or Santry instead and classed it as Ballymun?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The level of litter and illegal dumping in a given area is reflective of the sense of civic pride residents have in their neighbourhood. It’s pretty apparent in hat there is little to zero civic pride in very deprived areas and the results of this litter survey are not in the least bit surprising.

There needs to be strict enforcement of litter laws and on the spot fines - the city council really need to put much more effort into this.

That said, the general level of litter in Dublin these days is much much better than the 1980s and early 1990s, when the city was a run down filthy tip with dereliction, vacant sites and general rubbish everywhere - and dog sh*t all over footpaths and grassy verges in suburban housing estates.

The fine for littering is €150. The legislation goes back to 1997. The average annual price of bins I would argue is approx €330, and with no provision for jail in the Act, which is in itself a criminal offence, plus no provision for community service, plus SW payments and pensions being specifically excluded from attachment orders, leaves the offender in a prime position.

When national government begins to take this issue seriously we then might see changes in attitude and enforcement.

Furthermore, not everyone who litters or dumps are members of the tracksuit wearing dole office fraternity. Plenty in this country, including farming, business and professional have been caught at it.
    Remember all those quarries in Wicklow and along the border for example.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Dumping drives me mad. Last year I started noticing bags of rubbish being thrown on the green area and steps that link our road to the main road. Empty nagins of vodka were also being thrown on the steps. The steps have no lighting. You could easily take a tumble on them in the dark if you didn't know they were there. They couldn't even throw the glass somewhere out of the way, it's like they were trying their hardest to get someone hurt. I end up throwing them into my glass bin.

My house is a corner house that overlooks the green/steps and one night by chance I saw a neighbour's car pull up and dump a bag or 2 of rubbish on the green. My neighbour also lives on a corner site so ever since then I've been throwing the bags of rubbish back over his side wall into his garden. Another neighbour of this person is refusing to store their refuse in a covered bin and is drawing rats to the area. I have no idea what they're doing with the rubbish as they have no bin collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bambi wrote: »
    Most of the dumping in Ballymun is people driving into the area to chuck bags out of their car, some local knacks at it as well. Lot's of undeveloped spots where you won't be noticed

We had this in the North Strand too. Same days of the week, bags dumped in the same place. Neighbour went out and got a photo of the bloke and his car - well didn't actually as you couldn't read the number plate, but scummy dumper didn't know that, so no dumping since, though I'm sure he just moved his spot to some other street.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Offer to double the dole for residents of Tidy Towns winners?

Offer to lock up scumbag littering cvunts.

You shouldn't need to incentivise people to act like proper humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Offer to lock up scumbag littering cvunts.

You shouldn't need to incentivise people to act like proper humans.

They should have to clean up the area as part of community service
    While wearing bright orange work clothes

Might teach them some sort of lesson and civic pride

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Looking at that survey they left out a heap of places. Ballymun probably not even the worst in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Hardcharger

Ballymun was use as a stand in for Derry in the movie Bloody Sunday.

What does that tell you about the kip?

At the height of the Celtic Tiger boom the place was such a waste land it looked like war torn Derry in 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A massive crackdown on antisocial behaviour is needed across the board, with much higher penalties than an on the spot fine.
    Drove down Clonshaugh Road yesterday out past the airport, back as far as the R139. Lined with filth the whole way.
    Would love to see the Irish Green party response to this. Their solution is crush Irish workers with carbon tax and it should solve the above.

That's a bit unfair. Climate change is real, we can only legislate in Ireland for our part in it.

There are plenty of tax rebates for being climate friendly, SEAI grants for home improvements, cars, even VRT reductions. All those probably happily add up to whatever the carbon tax is for an individual if we availed of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Stand outside the Supervalu on the Ballyer road, or outside the Centra in Poppo, people walk outside, take whatever wrapper off what they have purchased and drop it on the ground.

Every 2nd or 3rd person does it.

I find that very hard to believe,. I'm gonna be honest and say I barely see anyone littering wherever I go. Seriously.

I find that very hard to believe,. I'm gonna be honest and say I barely see anyone littering wherever I go. Seriously.

You need to look around more. I see it regularly.

You need to look around more. I see it regularly.

You see people dropping litter as you walk/drive around? I still think that's a very rare sight if I'm honest.

You see people dropping litter as you walk/drive around? I still think that's a very rare sight if I'm honest.

Yes, I do. All the time in Clondalkin.

The car park in the Mill centre around McDonalds has car spaces with the contents of McDonalds bags on either side where its been just dropped out the windows of the cars where they were parked to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Ballymun was use as a stand in for Derry in the movie Bloody Sunday.

What does that tell you about the kip?

At the height of the Celtic Tiger boom the place was such a waste land it looked like war torn Derry in 1972.

There are a lot of good people in Ballymun. The vast majority actually.

Oops they missed Dundalk, I can't find it on the list anyway!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Oops they missed Dundalk, I can't find it on the list anyway!?

It was so covered in litter, they couldn't find it when they went here.

Kip.

Advertisement