Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they just filthy bastards in Ballymun and North Dublin City

Options

Comments

if you go to Sandycove beach late on a summer's evening, the place looks like a music festival has just taken place.

Dirty nappies, millions of fag butts, empty cans, left overs from a take away you name it, you'll find it there. it is ****ing disgusting.

The council put extra bins out as well, so very few people would be more than 10 metres from a bin and everyone leaving the beach has to pass one to get back to their car/bus/train.

But no, Seano and Sharon would much rather leave their **** there for someone else to pick up.

lazy, dirty *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So that makes them drop bottles, cans and other litter as they are walking with it , yeah?

Cos I see it all the time in clondalkin as I'm driving. Little cvunts just walking along, finished what they are eating or drinking and just drop it on the ground.

If people can afford to runs cars, drive them to McDonalds to sit and eat in the car park then dump all the rubbish out the window, they can well afford bin charges.

These people are scum. That's why theres rubbish.

You can bring a car load of rubbish to the dump for 15 quid.

They won't throw rubbish in bins until the gubbermint provides then with the free bins that they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lately DCC are not even emptying public bins, most I see are overflowing all the time. They have even started removing some public bins in some areas due to cut backs.

I grew up in an estate in tallaght in the 80s . I couldn't tell you where or if there was a public bin other than at the local shops.

I've never knowingly dropped a piece of litter. I was raised from an early age that it was wrong and I drill it in to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was listening to the radio this morning about it. To become a litter blackspot it has to be more than just empty cans, wrappers etc. There needs to be clear dumping of rubbish. Ballymun folk and people of surrounding areas are basically just taking their rubbish bags out and throwing them anywhere

I was listening to the radio this morning about it. To become a litter blackspot it has to be more than just empty cans, wrappers etc. There needs to be clear dumping of rubbish. Ballymun folk and people of surrounding areas are basically just taking their rubbish bags out and throwing them anywhere

If people just drop their litter as they walk you can be fairly sure they or their families will be willing to dump their black bags full of rubbish too.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people who probably wouldnt dream of dropping rubbish on the street will happily drop rubbish all around them and leave loads I'd crsp behind them in the cinema . I see that all the time too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are a few spots in Ballyer where people do indeed do that, they put their bins and other household waste in the nearest green area.

There are a couple of spot in Ballyer where the community comes together and keeps their streets and gardens spotless as well though.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There are a few spots in Ballyer where people do indeed do that, they put their bins and other household waste in the nearest green area.

You would think they would be worried that their horses might eat the rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

So that makes them drop bottles, cans and other litter as they are walking with it , yeah?

Cos I see it all the time in clondalkin as I'm driving. Little cvunts just walking along, finished what they are eating or drinking and just drop it on the ground.

If people can afford to runs cars, drive them to McDonalds to sit and eat in the car park then dump all the rubbish out the window, they can well afford bin charges.

These people are scum. That's why theres rubbish.

You can bring a car load of rubbish to the dump for 15 quid.

Bang on the money. I challenged a girl who dropped her jellies wrapper on the path in Corkagh Park yesterday. She picked it up but not without giving out about it. She was about 10m from the bin when she dropped it.

There's no excuse for it. Dragged up kids become dragged up adults. It was my eldest boy who pointed it out, so it's good that some kids get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Low income areas can't afford the bin charges that where privatised. Who'd have thought it.

If you can afford a few fags and a few cans or pints every week, then you can bloody well afford to pay a few bob to have your rubbish collected. When you have TDs like Paul Murphy et al encouraging protest over bin charges https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/bin-charges-anti-austerity-alliance-11500259 then clearly some will take that as the green light to just dump their waste and let the city authorities clean it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dole = litter

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Why pay for bins when you can just throw your rubbish out onto the streets for your kids to burn? We have two sofas out in the middle of the estate, one was burned, Council truck came along and took the burned one away the other is still here, waiting to be burned later. gummint should be running free waste service anyway, sure we're entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The movie Hot Fuzz is about what happens when you litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The mass dumping of tonnes of rubbish in rural areas and especially forests and walkways, is also disgusting. A lot of that is done by Travellers though so don't expect the Green Party or any other party to highlight or stop that, they don't have the balls.

A lot of it is due to dubs moving out the country and not wanting to pay for bin collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Machina

I'm pleased to see my own town in the top 5. I remember as a young lad, and growing up in one of the tougher areas it has to be said, and we'd all casually just throw our sweet wrappers and cola bottles on the ground. We weren't admonished for it and there were no local authority bins. It was just accepted by children and adults alike.

Fast forward 25 years and my home estate is still rough to a certain extent but the place is spotless. In fact it was actually awarded the cleanest area in the town not so long ago. So by my own internal logic it's now one of the cleanest estates in the country! (Flawed logic, perhaps, but I'll go with it).

It's hard to pin-point the reason for the change. General attitudes towards litter and recycling have changed of course, but on top of that there's now a sense of communal integrity and responsibility. For example, my Mam now lives alone and doesn't generate much waste, but her bins are regularly full of excess rubbish and recycling from the large family next door as Mam will make her bins available. And of course they'll make a contribution towards her waste management fees if there's a lot, especially around Christmas. Little things like that. A community standing up and saying that, despite the many other issues we might have, we're going to have pride in where we live.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

There are a couple of spot in Ballyer where the community comes together and keeps their streets and gardens spotless as well though.

I've never heard of Ballymun being referred to as Ballyer. The 'fermot is what's known as Ballyer by all and sundry, including residents of Ballymun and "Poppo" (:eek:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've never heard of Ballymun being referred to as Ballyer. The 'fermot is what's known as Ballyer by all and sundry, including residents of Ballymun and "Poppo" (:eek:)

The 'Mun better?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've cycled through Summerhill long enough to see what goes on. They just put their bags of rubbish out on the street and expect others to clean it up. I think they're supposed to buy bin tags in those parts but obviously they don't bother. It's nothing to do with them not being able to afford it, they just don't care about living in their own sh*t. For the price of a pint or whatever they just ordered from just-eat they could easily pay for bin tags.
    I saw a woman bring what looked like her grandkid to a public street bin around there a while ago and shove a huge bag of rubbish into it, only half of it went out and the rest was hanging out spewing rubbish onto the street. Great example to set love.
    These people have zero pride in their communities, they're not even smart enough to realise they're rubbishing the area, it just does not compute with them. I shouted at some wan who f*cked a plastic bottle on the road in North Strand recently to pick it up and she looked so shocked that I dared say anything.
    The funny thing is it's these same gobsh*tes who put up Irish flags and hunger striker posters ffs. Irish pride my bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Machina

The funny thing is it's these same gobsh*tes who put up Irish flags and hunger striker posters ffs. Irish pride my bollocks.

And you were doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I walk through Sheriff Street area a couple of times a week, on bin day there are plastic bags left out, sea gulls the size of bald eagles rip them apart to get at whatever food is left in them. Result by the time the bins are collected 50% of the rubbish is on the street. The sweeper truck goes around but because of parked cars there is only so much it can’t get at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I'm feeling generous today so sortof in their defence, I think cleanliness begets cleanliness and filth begets filth. If your area is very clean, to a certain extent, there is, for most people, some block in your mental attitude against carelessly throwing your wrapper on the ground but if your place is already awful, then is it any wonder your attitude is meh, no big deal before you chuck the wrapper. I think maybe the very same person who wouldn't throw litter on the street in Kilkenny might do it in a place where there is already loads of litter. More of a question really than a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The worst is the River Barrow. Fuckers just dump bags of rubbish into the river.

Rivers, eh.

Not Dublin, but I saw this short clip this morning...

:eek:

I should have left it at that, but Oh No, had to depress meself a bit more...

:eek::eek:

Indonesia wasn't enough, I had to go on to Guatamala...

:eek::eek::eek:

It goes on and on. Manila, India, China. Omnipresent Plastic and the Anthropocene. Sad.

Well that's cheered my afternoon right up ^^^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Zorya wrote: »
    Rivers, eh.

Not Dublin, but I saw this short clip this morning...

:eek:

I should have left it at that, but Oh No, had to depress meself a bit more...

:eek::eek:

Indonesia wasn't enough, I had to go on to Guatamala...

:eek::eek::eek:

It goes on and on. Manila, India, China. Omnipresent Plastic and the Anthropocene. Sad.

Would love to see the Irish Green party response to this. Their solution is crush Irish workers with carbon tax and it should solve the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Asia and Africa are the problem. We need to help them stop the pollution.
    Why are these countries such big polluters? Well, they're poor. They don't have good infrastructure for dealing with waste.
    As countries become wealthier, they are better able to clean up their messes. This is a phenomenon known as the environmental Kuznets curve.

Also, plastic straws aren't the problem - fishing nets account for 46 percent of all ocean plastic.

Would love to see the Irish Green party response to this. Their solution is crush Irish workers with carbon tax and it should solve the above.

They don't plan on solving the world's problems, but they certainly want to clean up our own back yard anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

biko wrote: »
    The movie Hot Fuzz is about what happens when you litter.

It's time that the local tidy towns committee started acting in ...'the greater good'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

They don't plan on solving the world's problems, but they certainly want to clean up our own back yard anyway
    They won't solve any problems, only make them worse like last time they were in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They've obviously never been to Moatview or Belcamp

• Advertisement

They won't solve any problems, only make them worse like last time they were in government.

That remains to be seen. You could say everyone previously in government made a mess of various things really though.

Advertisement