Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they just filthy bastards in Ballymun and North Dublin City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I've cycled through Summerhill long enough to see what goes on. They just put their bags of rubbish out on the street and expect others to clean it up. I think they're supposed to buy bin tags in those parts but obviously they don't bother. It's nothing to do with them not being able to afford it, they just don't care about living in their own sh*t. For the price of a pint or whatever they just ordered from just-eat they could easily pay for bin tags.
    I saw a woman bring what looked like her grandkid to a public street bin around there a while ago and shove a huge bag of rubbish into it, only half of it went out and the rest was hanging out spewing rubbish onto the street. Great example to set love.
    These people have zero pride in their communities, they're not even smart enough to realise they're rubbishing the area, it just does not compute with them. I shouted at some wan who f*cked a plastic bottle on the road in North Strand recently to pick it up and she looked so shocked that I dared say anything.
    The funny thing is it's these same gobsh*tes who put up Irish flags and hunger striker posters ffs. Irish pride my bollocks.
    And expect tax payers to give them a free forever home.

Parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Got the Galway train a few times recently. Just out of Heuston the amount of rubbish at the rear of houses is astonishing. Appears to be thrown over back garden walls. I have no idea where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

joeysoap wrote: »
    Got the Galway train a few times recently. Just out of Heuston the amount of rubbish at the rear of houses is astonishing. Appears to be thrown over back garden walls. I have no idea where it is.

Saw that last week, its amazing. Can't be that hard to clamp down on it when its literally behind the perpetrators house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i live in a working class area of Dublin with a fair proportion of multigenerational non workers. the kids exit the shop or the chipper, open their purchase and immediately drop the wrapper on the ground without a second thought. Their parents bag up their household rubbish and either throw it directly into the street outside their home or take it up to a local green patch and set fire to it. This is then eventually cleaned up by the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i live in a working class area of Dublin with a fair proportion of multigenerational non workers. the kids exit the shop or the chipper, open their purchase and immediately drop the wrapper on the ground without a second thought. Their parents bag up their household rubbish and either throw it directly into the street outside their home or take it up to a local green patch and set fire to it. This is then eventually cleaned up by the council.

I live in a place peppered with these types too. Sometimes I clean up some of the rubbish in my cul de sac and get very strange looks from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The problem is lack of respect and utter laziness. If you take the area just outside the Civic Center in Ballymun as an example, you'll see chipper and take away bags and boxes and cans just thrown about with bins a few feet away and half empty. It's cleaned up daily by the council and rinse and repeat, it's infuriating. There's an area just outside my house where people dump all sorts of stuff too, bin bags that get ripped open and spill everywhere, random pieces of furniture, everything and anything and again that gets picked up it just repeats.

Makes me think that if it just builds up will people start getting their act together and look after their surroundings.

Wishful thinking tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

biko wrote: »
    Asia and Africa are the problem. We need to help them stop the pollution.
    Why are these countries such big polluters? Well, they're poor. They don't have good infrastructure for dealing with waste.
    As countries become wealthier, they are better able to clean up their messes. This is a phenomenon known as the environmental Kuznets curve.

Also, plastic straws aren't the problem - fishing nets account for 46 percent of all ocean plastic.

We've been helping Africa for years ffs. How about they got off their lazy arses and helped themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Isn't this something community groups in the inner city and Ballymun should be dealing with? And local politicians etc.

Isn't it hilarious Ciaran Cuffe from Greens topped the poll in the North Inner City the other week, he can't even keep his backyard from looking like a 3rd world slum and now off to the EU to tell Europe how to do it.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Makes me think that if it just builds up will people start getting their act together and look after their surroundins. Wishful thinking!

This kind of thing just does not register in their brains. I'm sure we've all had a flatmate that just doesn't appear to see dishes left around the place and the flat being a mess. It's similar kind of ignorance.
    I wonder though if you just left them to stew in their own filth without cleaning up if sooner or later they'd get the finger out and do something about it? Wishful thinking probably, they'd just blame anyone but themselves.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There is also a new trend that I'm noticing of used take away coffee cups being left in the middle of footpaths, anyone else see this?

• Advertisement

its a lack or respect. a lack of respect for their environment, their neighbours but mostly a lack of respect for themselves. Why? because they are infantilised by the SW system. they are adult children getting pocket money from the state and being babysat from the cradle to the grave having never contributed themselves. i dont think i'd feel too invested in myself or the environs under those circumstances. couple this with absolutely no consequences for anti social behaviour such as littering...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A new hipster trend?

Nah, the hipsters are drinking mead out of faux rhino horns these days.

This kind of thing just does not register in their brains. I'm sure we've all had a flatmate that just doesn't appear to see dishes left around the place and the flat being a mess. It's similar kind of ignorance.
    I wonder though if you just left them to stew in their own filth without cleaning up if sooner or later they'd get the finger out and do something about it? Wishful thinking probably, they'd just blame anyone but themselves.

More likely there would be a piece run in the papers with said scummers standing in front of piles of rubbish with little sad faces blaming the council for not picking up their mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Isn't this something community groups in the inner city and Ballymun should be dealing with? And local politicians etc.

Isn't it hilarious Ciaran Cuffe from Greens topped the poll in the North Inner City the other week, he can't even keep his backyard from looking like a 3rd world slum and now off to the EU to tell Europe how to do it.

Third time lucky eh? I think you should give up, no one's biting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

its a lack or respect. a lack of respect for their environment, their neighbours but mostly a lack of respect for themselves. Why? because they are infantilised by the SW system. they are adult children getting pocket money from the state and being babysat from the cradle to the grave having never contributed themselves. i dont think i'd feel too invested in myself or the environs under those circumstances. couple this with absolutely no consequences for anti social behaviour such as littering...

But their the most vulnerable in society.

Bless them.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There is also a new trend that I'm noticing of used take away coffee cups being left in the middle of footpaths, anyone else see this?

Kind people thinking ahead and giving smokers somewhere to throw butts no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Some people are just absolute dirt bags. Look at this from last years Electric picnic event

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/electric-picnic-2018-reckless-revellers-13192251

These events are attended by mostly middle and upper class kids and 20 somethings so the problem is rampant across all classes and aspects of society.

Third time lucky eh? I think you should give up, no one's biting.
    I'm not trolling, I'm just stating the Greens are hypocrites in everything they do. Cuffe has been in politics on the gravy train a very long time. He wants to save the planet but can't even save the Inner City from being a third world slum.

Some people are just absolute dirt bags. Look at this from last years Electric picnic event

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/electric-picnic-2018-reckless-revellers-13192251

These events are attended by mostly middle and upper class kids and 20 somethings so the problem is rampant across all classes and aspects of society.
    while the festival dumping is manky, these people paid a fortune to be there and probably expect to be cleaned up after and are also hungover to fook. to me at least, dumping household waste on your own street is more grim somehow.

It's a bit different doing it at a one off festival to casually walking down Parnell Street chucking McDonalds on the ground on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

It's not nice but they know an army of cleaners will be cleaning up after them, and they paid for it.

He wants to save the planet but can't even save the Inner City from being a third world slum.

No politician is going to change the psyche of a whole class of people any time soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've cycled through Summerhill long enough to see what goes on. They just put their bags of rubbish out on the street and expect others to clean it up. I think they're supposed to buy bin tags in those parts but obviously they don't bother. It's nothing to do with them not being able to afford it, they just don't care about living in their own sh*t. For the price of a pint or whatever they just ordered from just-eat they could easily pay for bin tags.
    I saw a woman bring what looked like her grandkid to a public street bin around there a while ago and shove a huge bag of rubbish into it, only half of it went out and the rest was hanging out spewing rubbish onto the street. Great example to set love.
    These people have zero pride in their communities, they're not even smart enough to realise they're rubbishing the area, it just does not compute with them. I shouted at some wan who f*cked a plastic bottle on the road in North Strand recently to pick it up and she looked so shocked that I dared say anything.
    The funny thing is it's these same gobsh*tes who put up Irish flags and hunger striker posters ffs. Irish pride my bollocks.

I work in Dublin 1 and unfortunately can confirm that this post is 100% accurate. There is a belief that it is the council's job to keep the place clean and that the local residents have no role. The council unfortunately capitulate and collect all the crap. There is no pride in their area and no gratitude for the cheap subsidised housing and services provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks for reminding me OP. Last week I was turning in towards my estate. Lady in front in a red BMW casually throws a plastic bag out the passenger window. I blare the horn and point at it...Window is down so I shout "pick up your fcuking rubbish". She drove off and gave me a wave. I stopped to pick it up and put it in the bin which was about 10 metres away. It was a bag of vomit!!
    Got her reg and took a photo of the bag. Going to contact the litter warden now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Locals flat out denying this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Merry_Hell wrote: »
    People caught littering are given fines that they are under no obligation to pay. This isn't complex stuff.

Nonsense! My brother was before the courts last year for littering. His post office payment receipt was found!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They didn't mind living in their own sh;t either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Low income areas can't afford the bin charges that where privatised. Who'd have thought it.

If that was the full story, everybody in low income areas would dump their rubbish on the road but they don't.

Its about time people stopped insisting that lapses in personal responsibility are always down to class, which they are clearly not.

Plus the poorest person in the county can stick a crisp bag in their pocket until they get to a litter bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As for the price of legal dumping, if a bunch of residents do a clean up of their locale, the council will come collect it free. We recently did a clean up of a section of our local park and stocked all sorts of trash which SDCC collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Waiting at the lights on North Quays, some asshole came straight out of apartment with a plastic bag of rubbish, crosses the road and dumps it in the Liffey. I honk like hell, as I saw it coming. Lights turn green guy behind me gets out to stop yer man, he runs off.... what mentality do you have to have to do something like this?

Advertisement