Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they just filthy bastards in Ballymun and North Dublin City

Options
  • 10-06-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irelands-litter-blackspot-revealed-as-kilkenny-named-countrys-cleanest-town-929783.html

So Ballymun is the only litter blackspot for 2019, and North inner city only one place above them. Having seen the litter in various places it must have been really bad when they did the survey,but, and here's the question.

Do you take your litter seriously or are you a fling it out of the car window (drivers and passengers) , on the floor (pedestrians) , in the hedgerows (cyclists)? or does it depend on where you are, North City fling it anyway because they don't care, Kilkenny take it home because they do care?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best
    1. Kilkenny
    2. Athlone
    3. Killarney
    4. Portlaoise

Worst
    36. Cork City - Mahon
    37. Cork Northside
    38. Limerick City South - Galvone
    39. Dublin North Inner City
    40. Ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Special mention should go to Limerick and Cork too. Dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

biko wrote: »
    I think you are being too restrictive.

Best
    1. Kilkenny
    2. Athlone
    3. Killarney
    4. Portlaoise

Worst
    36. Cork City - Mahon
    37. Cork Northside
    38. Limerick City South - Galvone
    39. Dublin North Inner City
    40. Ballymun

What type of communities live in each of the worst areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dubliners mainly in the absolute worst two, although it's possible some blow-ins live there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

40 towns/cities seems like a very small sample size, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Merry_Hell

Spook_ie wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irelands-litter-blackspot-revealed-as-kilkenny-named-countrys-cleanest-town-929783.html

So Ballymun is the only litter blackspot for 2019, and North inner city only one place above them. Having seen the litter in various places it must have been really bad when they did the survey,but, and here's the question.

Do you take your litter seriously or are you a fling it out of the car window (drivers and passengers) , on the floor (pedestrians) , in the hedgerows (cyclists)? or does it depend on where you are, North City fling it anyway because they don't care, Kilkenny take it home because they do care?

People caught littering are given fines that they are under no obligation to pay. This isn't complex stuff.

McGaggs wrote: »
    What type of communities live in each of the worst areas?

Litterers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's a logical enough mindset when you have public figures (some elected) openly opposing paying for refuse charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

You know you're bad when even Drogheda beats you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Low income areas can't afford the bin charges that where privatised. Who'd have thought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Low income areas can't afford the bin charges that where privatised. Who'd have thought it.

Doesn't stop you from walking up to a litter bin and putting your McDonald's, Burger King or whatever wrappers in though, does it?

That would seem to be more a case of how people were brought up to litter or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This is exactly it. Isn't a lot of the accommodation provided for them ****e as well? Not an easy issue to address.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Doesn't stop you from walking up to a litter bin and putting your McDonald's, Burger King or whatever wrappers in though, does it?

That would seem to be more a case of how people were brought up to litter or not?

Stand outside the Supervalu on the Ballyer road, or outside the Centra in Poppo, people walk outside, take whatever wrapper off what they have purchased and drop it on the ground.

Every 2nd or 3rd person does it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

What kind of litter is found on the streets I wonder? Probably cans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Im from Kilkenny, a few months ago i seen a young lad throw a bottle of coke in the middle of high street and it genuinely confused me as it was not something i had seen in a long while.

Fags butts tend to be a problem around here though, people throwing out car windows or outside pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Lately DCC are not even emptying public bins, most I see are overflowing all the time. They have even started removing some public bins in some areas due to cut backs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What kind of litter is found on the streets I wonder? Probably cans!

mostly crisp bags and wrappers off deli rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How would folks in ballymun or the island field in Limerick know to put their rubbish in the bin if the state doesn't tell them

Not like their parents could instruct them from an early age

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Lately DCC are not even emptying public bins, most I see are overflowing all the time. They have even started removing some public bins in some areas due to cut backs.

Well let's see if the new "greenwave" of Councillors actually do something simple like getting the bins emptied, I wouldn't be betting on it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Get people on social welfare to put in a few hours of community work for their free money, including litter collection.

Problem solved.

It's caused by the non-working classes, make them clean up their mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Talbot St / Foley St was covered in litter this morning
    Every Monday it's the same
    What a kip - just disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Some major towns not on the list at all. Dundalk, Mullingar, Tullamore?

A strange selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Most of the dumping in Ballymun is people driving into the area to chuck bags out of their car, some local knacks at it as well. Lot's of undeveloped spots where you won't be noticed

Overcrowding ain't helping either, 2 bed houses privately let to half a dozen punters is not a recipe for success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

This isn’t domestic litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And I always thought these people were illitterate!

/coat

BarryD2 wrote: »
    It's a logical enough mindset when you have public figures (some elected) openly opposing paying for refuse charges.

Is it logical though? Logical would be thinking about what this is doing to your environment. Seems more lazy than logical to me. Any excuse to just f*ck our litter on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Lots of missing towns alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The mass dumping of tonnes of rubbish in rural areas and especially forests and walkways, is also disgusting. A lot of that is done by Travellers though so don't expect the Green Party or any other party to highlight or stop that, they don't have the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's definitely an increase in filth since rubbish collection was privatised. I live in Carlow and there's bags of rubbish left under benches and on the street. The worst is the River Barrow. Fuckers just dump bags of rubbish into the river.

If they could just leave these same bags outside their front door and have them collected for free these cunts wouldn't be driving around the place looking for somewhere to dump their filth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So that makes them drop bottles, cans and other litter as they are walking with it , yeah?

Cos I see it all the time in clondalkin as I'm driving. Little cvunts just walking along, finished what they are eating or drinking and just drop it on the ground.

If people can afford to runs cars, drive them to McDonalds to sit and eat in the car park then dump all the rubbish out the window, they can well afford bin charges.

These people are scum. That's why theres rubbish.

You can bring a car load of rubbish to the dump for 15 quid.

Advertisement