Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

eroo wrote: »
    My Da's best friend's sister's cousin's neighbour knows a Sgt who told her recruitment will be stopped forever..fact! :P

lol

but you could have left out the sister bit because its still the same person!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Oh my god how many times do i have to say it. They Have to recruit once a year the end fullstop!

And who said something about hrm????? They dont tell ya anything.

Not getting dragged into this. This is the last you will hear of me on this thread BUT ....

HR made a presentation to the February intake - FACT
    They said that there was enough in the pipeline for over a year - FACT

I hope it works out for you all and you get in the game soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

In the dail recently..400 this year only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

I know they have enough number for this year and probably most of next year, but i hope to god they start a recruitment drive soon, for the people who are succesful in that, i dont think they would mind waiting the year or two then to get the call for templemore, at least then you know your on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

jypo wrote: »
    I know they have enough number for this year and probably most of next year, but i hope to god they start a recruitment drive soon, for the people who are succesful in that, i dont think they would mind waiting the year or two then to get the call for templemore, at least then you know your on your way.

That's exactly it. Plus, I personally don't want to wait two years to start a process that I might fail. If I fail, what do I do then? I'll have wasted three years. At least if I went through the recruitment part soon I would know whether I was in or out, and then I could wait happily. Most of us here waiting for a drive are not naive, we read the threads and posts and KNOW we'll be waiting a long time. We just come on to vent/moan/hope, and talk about it with others in the exact same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Don't forget to take retirment numbers into account.

After they changed the retiremnet age, this year should see a larger than normal amount of retirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

I wouldn't worry too much, there will (have to) be another recruitment drive this year, more likely the end of the year tho. Probably looking for an intake in mid-late 2010.

It is going to be very hard for ye tho, with the current economic situation etc etc, there will be loads applying for the limited spaces on offer. It will be very competitive compared to other years, there will be people with years of expertise in various fields who unfortunately lost their jobs.

Basically what I'm saying, get as much practice in as possible before it does open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

eroo wrote: »
    Well on Phase 2 you have no powers, therefore you are not a Garda.;)

northside girl, ya made eroo have this sort of face::(,with yer previous post and it's information!

:p

Technically you are correct there, eroo. Visibility yes, powers no ;)

I really do hope that for you and everyone waiting that you will have this face :D because I know how frustrating the wait is!

Fingers crossed for all you who are waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Scrapping the garda reserve?? I passed the interview for it last summer and still waiting for medical, maybe thats why i have been waiting so long??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Yes tricky situation it's not my 1st time round :( ill get there just takin longer than I had expected!

• Advertisement

They just advertised for garda reserve the other day on rte news so I doubt it very much they will be scrapping it! Well hopefully not anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trickysituation

Mun23 wrote: »
    Yes tricky situation it's not my 1st time round :( ill get there just takin longer than I had expected!

Same as Mun Same as!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Does anyone know how many applicants are in the back log?.I rang <SNIP> he is the
    director of <SNIP> and he has assured Me that there will be another recruitment
    campaign launched this year (2009).I know here-say is here-say but I think if people had an
    idea as to how many was in the back log well then it might give some idea as to when this
    fresh and egerly awaited campaign is launched.

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many applicants are in the back log?.I rang <SNIP> he is the
    director of <SNIP> and he has assured Me that there will be another recruitment
    campaign launched this year (2009).I know here-say is here-say but I think if people had an
    idea as to how many was in the back log well then it might give some idea as to when this
    fresh and egerly awaited campaign is launched.

O god, wait till Mr Nog gets hold of you, for mentioning names and companies :) haha.
    The thing to remember, is that "guy" mentioned above :) is a business man, he whats people to buy his stuff so he can make money and that will only happen when recruitment starts. So of course he will say that.
    In the pipeline myself and I know some1 else who is also, and that person is around 500 people behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

O god, wait till Mr Nog gets hold of you, for mentioning names and companies :) haha.
    The thing to remember, is that "guy" mentioned above :) is a business man, he whats people to buy his stuff so he can make money and that will only happen when recruitment starts. So of course he will say that.
    In the pipeline myself and I know some1 else who is also, and that person is around 500 people behind me.

Dya know how many ppl are in front of you? :o

Alias B wrote: »
    Dya know how many ppl are in front of you? :o

Going by the people who went in, in Feb, I think 20-40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

how do you know how many ppl are ahead of you. what number would you want to be on to be at the top of the que

horse1 wrote: »
    how do you know how many ppl are ahead of you. what number would you want to be on to be at the top of the que

The number you get after the medical. Lads who went in, in feb were numbers in the 900/08 range (well some were). So if you are close to that number range, pretty high up in the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

its all to do with background checks though and not what number you are. you could have everything done, and still be waiting 2 years for bg checks, while someone with a much lower number could sail through the process in 5 months. It all depends on your checks. Numbers mean relatively nothing.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its all to do with background checks though and not what number you are. you could have everything done, and still be waiting 2 years for bg checks, while someone with a much lower number could sail through the process in 5 months. It all depends on your checks. Numbers mean relatively nothing.

Well saying that, there was a good group from the January 08 recruitment phase that done their Med's and Pct's in January 09 and got the call to start the next day.
    Some people from May 08 campaign have everything done since October 08 (including background checks) and are still waiting, even tho they finished everything before they did.
    Obviously the numbers aren't going to apply all the time but they give you a good indication where you stand.

• Advertisement

The more each day goes by, the chances of a new recruitment campaign looks bleak, the only plus side for us is the fact that there will be a spike in retirements because of the levy and recent crime issues being highlighted on tv, (lawless Ireland etc) ,does anybody else think there will be a campaign at all this year? Is there enough in the pipeline already?

I defo think there will be a campagne. It deos not matter about backlog... They will have to get one up and running because they will always be recruiting gards, the process takes so long anyway so they will have to open one and by the time people are finished the stages they will need more so then we will be ready to go in! Im sick of the wait to believe me I know it sucks it's not my 1st time round like so Im totally fed up but so determined and I know ill get there the next time! :)

Please God I hope your right!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

I just keep thinking there would be alot of the gardai coming to retirement age, some that might decide that the job is just not for them and the increase in crime in Ireland so there has to be another recruitment this year.Thats whats keeping me going

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

I don't mean to burst anyones bubbles but,
    members are facing a pension levy (wage cut), overtime will not be paid for, sub won't be paid for (allowance for working away from your normal station), official vehicles are not being replaced, staff have been de-allocated from templemore, etc..
    The chances of the big recruitment drives happening again anytime soon are gone. Given that the state needs to find an extra 4 billion next year, I have my doubts whether there will be any significant recruitment campaign at all.
    I think that the supposed 2000 members due to retire will not be replaced to any significant levels, thus bringing the strength of the force back down to around the 12000 mark.
    Sorry for the dose of realism lads but I count myself lucky to have got in when I did and feel sorry for anyone hoping to get in as it could be a very long time before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Sorry for the dose of realism lads but I count myself lucky to have got in when I did and feel sorry for anyone hoping to get in as it could be a very long time before that happens.

The most encouraging post I have ever seen!?

Fact is, nobody knows when or if there will be a recruitment campaign.. but I'm willing to wait, and so are a lot of others. Also, I am always realistic!;)

Living in hope too, getting sick off all the negativity around here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Mun23 wrote: »
    Living in hope too, getting sick off all the negativity around here :(

Keep the head up mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

yeah chin up people ,
    hopefully there will be some news shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

In the mean time, instead of getting frustrated with waiting for a recruitment drive I'd suggest it might be a good idea to start thinking about how to make yourself stand out from the crowd. The competition is going to be tougher than it's ever been and if you're serious about becoming a guard then you should be prepared for that.

Advertisement