Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Anyone see the article in the paper yesterday - think it was the indo or the examiner - about scrapping the reserve force? They had a few more cost cutting ideas in relation to tenders, vehicles, etc.

Don't agree with getting rid of the reserves but just making the point that there wasn't one mention of a recruitment freeze.

Surely that has to be a good sign aswell?? (Or am I just clutching at every straw I can find?:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I'd love to get the recruitment process out of the way. If I got everything out of the way and then had to wait a year or so for Templemore I could cope. What I'm worried about is waiting a year and half to start, another year to complete and a few more months to be called to Templemore. That would really get me down. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

I agree if the recruitment process atarted now I wouldnt mind waiting to go down. I have a feeling as soon as the budget situation is sorted out they'll start the recruitment drive. Hears to wishfull thinking!

Fingers crossed. Otherwise the only way I'm going to achieve my dream is by stealing a hat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

Why stop there I'd go for the full uniform!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dublin 3

Hi all, i was told a few weeks ago that there will be a recruitment drive towards the end of the Summer! whether that be may or august im not sure. i asked if there would be a recruitment in February he said no as it was to soon. I can understand that seeing how they only need 400 for 2009. So a recruitment in the Summer would make more sense.

Indeed it would, thanks for that! That hopeful thought might stop me and Joanne getting refused on the grounds of stealing the property of An Garda Siochana...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dublin 3

I'm glad to bring a little bit of hope to the boards, you will be wearing those uniforms in no time:) just wondering this is my second time to apply so i know how things work! but seeing how they have reduced the amount per intake this year, when the next recruitment comes up and there is 3 batches in the 1st month are they picking the top 100??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Oh id say summer time by the looks of it but hopefully it wil be sooner :) Dont think they will scrap the reserves it was on the news the other night trying to encourage people to join organisations such as garda reserves and defence forces etc!!!!
    The wait is killing me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trickysituation

The summer????????? Thats ages away, i cant wait that long.:(

• Advertisement

I know but who knows could be sooner hopefully, its all *****s just have to wait and c! Can anyone predict the future around here??? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Dublin 3 wrote: »
    i know how things work! but seeing how they have reduced the amount per intake this year, when the next recruitment comes up and there is 3 batches in the 1st month are they picking the top 100??

I dont think you know how things work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I dont think you know how things work!!!

Paolo5, I don't know ho things work. Perhaps you'd like to explain to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

I'm glad to bring a little bit of hope to the boards, you will be wearing those uniforms in no time:) just wondering this is my second time to apply so i know how things work! but seeing how they have reduced the amount per intake this year, when the next recruitment comes up and there is 3 batches in the 1st month are they picking the top 100??
    For anyone hoping for a recruitment drive to come up soon, to be honest, it doesn't look like there will be a drive anytime this year. There are already enough people waiting to fill a year's worth of intakes, or so we have been told. Of the 400 places this year, 100 have already been filled and there are hundreds of people still waiting who have completed their medical and pct so doesn't look likely that they'll need another recruitment drive unfortunately for anyone waiting for this. You never know, the government could decide tomorrow that due to the recession there will be an increase in crime and a therefore a need for more gardai to combat it but for now it doesn't seem likely. I hope I am wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

For anyone hoping for a recruitment drive to come up soon, to be honest, it doesn't look like there will be a drive anytime this year. There are already enough people waiting to fill a year's worth of intakes, or so we have been told.

Giving it takes the bones of a year for people to complete the whole process, and according to you they have enough people waiting to fill a years worth of intakes, then wouldnt a drive have to happen in the next few months in order to have people for next years intakes! my own personal opinion AGS would have to have maybe 4 or 500 in the pipeline at any one time just incase the have to start training people fast in case of emergency obviously if the country is in trouble the government cant be waiting 2yrs to get new gardai on the street, when they come down to safety net numbers ie 4 or 500 i assume they will start a drive, our most significant step forward at this moment would be the may intake going ahead, untill we see numbers going to templemore we def wont see a drive starting..

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

keith101 wrote: »
    For anyone hoping for a recruitment drive to come up soon, to be honest, it doesn't look like there will be a drive anytime this year. There are already enough people waiting to fill a year's worth of intakes, or so we have been told.

Giving it takes the bones of a year for people to complete the whole process, and according to you they have enough people waiting to fill a years worth of intakes, then wouldnt a drive have to happen in the next few months in order to have people for next years intakes! my own personal opinion AGS would have to have maybe 4 or 500 in the pipeline at any one time just incase the have to start training people fast in case of emergency obviously if the country is in trouble the government cant be waiting 2yrs to get new gardai on the street, when they come down to safety net numbers ie 4 or 500 i assume they will start a drive, our most significant step forward at this moment would be the may intake going ahead, untill we see numbers going to templemore we def wont see a drive starting..

This isn't my opinion, this is what we have been told by Garda HRM. You have to remember too that once you start in Templemore you are put into a station after Phase 1 which is after 5 months of initial training, so it's not exactly a case of waiting for 2 years for more gardai on the streets. I do agree with what you are saying though regarding the May intake and maybe other intakes after that - if they go ahead then hopefully that will mean another recruitment drive will be needed after that. The truth is that nobody really knows unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

but seeing how they have reduced the amount per intake this year, when the next recruitment comes up and there is 3 batches in the 1st month are they picking the top 100??

Ok, what I don't understand is this.

Lets just say they open the recruitment tomorrow and from this they select 400 candidates for 4 batches of 100.

Would it be fair to say that the first 100 are the best, the next 100 are the 2nd best etc etc... or is it purely a case of randomly selcecting who goes into each intake?

It's all a bit academic anyway, I realise, seems as they haven't, or have no immediate plans to open a recruitment drive, but just wondering how it works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Geansai wrote: »
    Ok, what I don't understand is this.

Lets just say they open the recruitment tomorrow and from this they select 400 candidates for 4 batches of 100.

Would it be fair to say that the first 100 are the best, the next 100 are the 2nd best etc etc... or is it purely a case of randomly selcecting who goes into each intake?

It's all a bit academic anyway, I realise, seems as they haven't, or have no immediate plans to open a recruitment drive, but just wondering how it works...

If a recruitment drive opens tomorrow and you apply let say:

If you book your aptitude test very quickly you will be in batch 1. The later you book it the lower the batch you are in.

The aptitude test is either pass or fail so they dont decide 400 will pass.
    The interview is where the numbers selection comes into play.

If 500 pass the aptitude test but they only require say 200 Gardaí they will score interviews according to the numbers they require. So in this case only the best 200 will pass. The batch numbers are still intact.

Then they carry out background checks, medical and PCT which are all pass / fail scenarios. After all they may end up with 150 people which are all on their VERY long way to Templemore. I think they then select people according to their batch number as to who starts first but judging by the posts here, its hit and miss really. Its all about luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

You have to remember too that once you start in Templemore you are put into a station after Phase 1 which is after 5 months of initial training, so it's not exactly a case of waiting for 2 years for more gardai on the streets.

Well on Phase 2 you have no powers, therefore you are not a Garda.;)

northside girl, ya made eroo have this sort of face::(,with yer previous post and it's information!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

First of all if HR advertise for a new competition tomorrow they will expect about 15,000 applications - a fact according to HR.

When they advertise they will have tests (probably over 3 or 4 weeks). Each week is called a different Batch ie Week 1 = Batch 1 and so on. It may be a case that with such demand that the test places may be limited first of all - this is a guess - so book your time early. How ever many pass will go one so it coud be 100 it could be 2000.

At the moment there are about 1,200 in the system. From those waiting on interview to those who have completed everything and are waiting on a call.

If they have enough for another year they may wait til the end of the year and see how things are going. The process can be fast tracked for Batch 1 as in some cases up to this people have applied and gone down in the space of 3 months or less.

My guess would be end of the year at the earliest for new recruitment drive. But without rumour/guess work this thread would be dead anyway!!!

• Advertisement

Oh my god how many times do i have to say it. They Have to recruit once a year the end fullstop!

And who said something about hrm????? They dont tell ya anything.

Thanks tricky situation was about to have a panic attack there with all the negativity. Nobody knows like just have to wait and see! :rolleyes:

They have to once a year if they dont this year then there is something seriously wrong. It doesnt matter if they have enough for a year, those people dont HAVE to take it they could decide its not for them or cant for whatever reason!!!! Sure some of the feb group only got calls a couple of days before thats only because ppl backed out.

There will have to be a competition this year and it will more than likely be May/Nov:p

Ya hoping for May, get the ball rolling, yet again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Looking at other posts and giving a guess, id say there 'should' be another recruitment drive this summer or later autumn.

We're all doing our best to tease out how the system works so this is my theory on the situation:

It was mentioned earlier that there are something like 1200 people left in the pipeline, either waiting to finish the recruitment process or to get the nod! Given there are only 300 places left for 2009 intakes, that means this time next year, allowing for the Feb 2010 intake, there will be roughly 800 people left in the system, assuming intakes remain the same!

Now, if the recruitment process takes 8mts to a year to complete in its entirety, and there are 600 people waiting for the call after August '10, the 2009 recruitment drive would mean that numbers are back up in the 1000s, which is what seems to be the figure at the moment!

Im not saying its an ideal situation to have that many people sitting on the fence but that seems to be recruitments M.O. Anyway, my theory is based on a lot of presumptions so its wide open for criticism. Do your worst!!!!!! :p:p:p

Mun23 wrote: »
    Ya hoping for May, get the ball rolling, yet again!!!

have ufailed before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

An Garda wont be doing another recruitment drive for AT LEAST one more year - it could even be 2 years...sorry to be the one to break it to you

Trapattoni wrote: »
    An Garda wont be doing another recruitment drive for AT LEAST one more year - it could even be 2 years...sorry to be the one to break it to you

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

A very high up source who did some research on my behalf as i am about to go off travelling again (just got back to dub after 8 months away)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Trapattoni wrote: »
    A very high up source who did some research on my behalf as i am about to go off travelling again (just got back to dub after 8 months away)

My Da's best friend's sister's cousin's neighbour knows a Sgt who told her recruitment will be stopped forever..fact! :P

Advertisement