Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why was Martin carney on mid west yesterday? Where were the usual guys like John Casey and billy fitz?

I don't know why the normally ultra-professional Mr Carney put himself through that, by the end it sounded like he was going to put a call out for a bottle of whiskey and a pistol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

In fairness, I don't think he's saying that Hennelly should have started yesterday. He's just saying that it was Clarke's weakness come kickouts that lead Hennelly to be considered before last year's final.

Cluxton lost something like 7 of his first 8 kickouts yesterday. He was a disaster. Yet not a single person is talking of dropping Cluxton. I bet Jim Gavin won't even think about it, because he knows the value of continuation.

A goalkeeper is only as good as the options on front of him to be fair. If the other team press up well, the goalie is going to make mistakes. The same applied to Cluxton.

In terms of kickouts, I'd like to see the stats of who completed more successfully, Clarke or Cluxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

kilns wrote: »
    Yep no place for that in the game either in full agreement, deserves a lengthy ban if found guilty

No "if" about it. He did do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I really have to vent and would have gladly slapped the head off some of the muppets on boards last night who were coming out with the usual trite shyte about Mayo are bottlers.

If anything this squad of players and the one that went before them are the very antithesis of bottlers.
    They get knocked down in some of the most awful ways in finals and yet they come back again and again.

That shows a level of guts and determination actually unequaled in Irish sport.

If half the fookers slagging them off had their bottle they would be walking around with provincial medals at the very least and their counties would be challenging with them on the teams.

And what is worse is when you have to listen to it from people form counties that have beaten them recently to win titles.
    What are those hurlers on the ditch saying about their own counties if they only win titles because they had only to beat a team of so called bottlers.

Yes they have made mistakes in finals and yesterday was no different.
    Vaughan had a rush of blood to the head, Doherty could have hit the ball lower and maybe got a goal, AOS should never have tried for that point, even the great Andy Moran tried for a point he shouldn't and Keegan shouldn't have let the ball just drop into the goalies hands.

How many steps did O'Callaghan take to get his goal, why didn't Keegan get a penalty, why did Dublin get a free when their own players tackled each other.
    Maybe if one of those decisions had gone the other way?
    Maybe if someone had followed in the free that hit the post.

There are always should've, what ifs, maybes and we always seem to come out the wrong end of them and we don't always get the rub of the green.
    But is that down to lack of bottle?
    No it fooking isn't.
    You can say it is down to lack of ability, but never lack of bottle.

The last number of squads of players for Mayo just do not understand the concept of giving up.
    There have been different managers, but yet they come back again and again.
    I am mighty proud of them because they give kids a life lesson that the winners like the dubs can never hope to do, these guys show you that you never give up, you never throw in the towel no matter what life throws at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Neutral here, missed the Sunday game,

was it a penalty? What did they say? Where can we watch the penalty incident again?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Neutral here, missed the Sunday game,

was it a penalty? What did they say? Where can we watch the penalty incident again?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVkVzXci6M

The whole Epic is There .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,186 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In terms of kickouts, I'd like to see the stats of who completed more successfully, Clarke or Cluxton.

Cluxton was 17/25. He lost 6 of 14 in the first half and was 11/11 in the second half.

Buer wrote: »
    Cluxton was 17/25. He lost 6 of 14 in the first half and was 11/11 in the second half.

The Plan B came when Jason Sherlock ran in and told him to stop sending it long. It made a difference.

He still didn't do enough to seriously justify POTY in my book particularly in the final. Doherty's shot was straight down his throat. Unless he actually jumped out of the way, he couldn't fail to save it. Improved in the second half but mixed overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

jmayo wrote: »
    I really have to vent and would have gladly slapped the head off some of the muppets on boards last night who were coming out with the usual trite shyte about Mayo are bottlers.

If anything this squad of players and the one that went before them are the very antithesis of bottlers.
    They get knocked down in some of the most awful ways in finals and yet they come back again and again.

That shows a level of guts and determination actually unequaled in Irish sport.

If half the fookers slagging them off had their bottle they would be walking around with provincial medals at the very least and their counties would be challenging with them on the teams.

And what is worse is when you have to listen to it from people form counties that have beaten them recently to win titles.
    What are those hurlers on the ditch saying about their own counties if they only win titles because they had only to beat a team of so called bottlers.

Yes they have made mistakes in finals and yesterday was no different.
    Vaughan had a rush of blood to the head, Doherty could have hit the ball lower and maybe got a goal, AOS should never have tried for that point, even the great Andy Moran tried for a point he shouldn't and Keegan shouldn't have let the ball just drop into the goalies hands.

How many steps did O'Callaghan take to get his goal, why didn't Keegan get a penalty, why did Dublin get a free when their own players tackled each other.
    Maybe if one of those decisions had gone the other way?
    Maybe if someone had followed in the free that hit the post.

There are always should've, what ifs, maybes and we always seem to come out the wrong end of them and we don't always get the rub of the green.
    But is that down to lack of bottle?
    No it fooking isn't.
    You can say it is down to lack of ability, but never lack of bottle.

The last number of squads of players for Mayo just do not understand the concept of giving up.
    There have been different managers, but yet they come back again and again.
    I am mighty proud of them because they give kids a life lesson that the winners like the dubs can never hope to do, these guys show you that you never give up, you never throw in the towel no matter what life throws at you.

Do you know I would agree with this but the more I've seen Mayo over the years the more I get the feeling no matter what happened they don't have what it takes to get over the line against Dublin or Kerry in a final.

They're only slim hope is meeting the likes of Tyrone or someone like that in a season where both Kerry or Dublin don't make it.

buck65 wrote: »
    Do you know I would agree with this but the more I've seen Mayo over the years the more I get the feeling no matter what happened they don't have what it takes to get over the line against Dublin or Kerry in a final.

They're only slim hope is meeting the likes of Tyrone or someone like that in a season where both Kerry or Dublin don't make it.
    A break of the ball away yesterday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

I can't read every second post on here at this stage
    Probably a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

km79 wrote: »
    I can't read every second post on here at this stage
    Probably a good thing

All Ireland final day is the best day of the GAA calendar. However, it really is the worst time for online forums like this. I enjoy these forums so much more during the national league when you have posters with a real interest in games posting about their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

One question
    Why did mayo only score one point in the last 15 mins yesterday?

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    One question
    I am guessing Dublin had something to do with it .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cluxton lost something like 7 of his first 8 kickouts yesterday. He was a disaster. Yet not a single person is talking of dropping Cluxton. I bet Jim Gavin won't even think about it, because he knows the value of continuation.

He lost 6 from 14 in the first half and got 11 from 11 in the second half when he went short, stats from the RTE lads. He had a bad period but recovered.

Clarke finished badly imo, the McCarthy mark and the ball over the sideline when possession was crucial were significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

One question

Why did Dublin only get one score in the first 15 mins?

O'Callaghan takes 30 steps, during which time he hops the ball twice and solos once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Disappointed not to see Mayo win as a neutral. They were the better team yesterday in my opinion and also last year but have somehow managed to lose them.

They don't seem to have the ability to go for the jugular when push comes to shove. You'd wonder if it is psychological at this stage. They've alot of baggage. Lots of scars. Is the belief fully there to get over the line. You need your big players to step up in the last 10 minutes but in my opinion some of Mayo's big players went missing when needed most.

This team isn't getting any younger and you'd wonder how many times they can keep going to the well. You only get so many chances hopefully Mayo haven't blown all theirs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hang on, people are trying to suggest Vaughan's red was harsh??

He struck another player, or at least intended to. If Diarmuid Connolly did what Vaughan did then there'd be people (rightfully) calling for his head. He absolutely deserved to go

It doesn't look like O'Gara is gouging to me, but it does look like he's fish-hooking which I think is a sending off anyway. The only thing with it is nobody saw it until the replay, so it's hard to expect McQuillan to see it too.

I did feel bad for Mayo, but I think blaming the ref is daft considering they got away with as much as Dublin did.

Watching both sides give it 100% was admirable but the off-the-ball nonsense is what we're all talking about. Keegan's attempts to put off a Dublin player taking a late free can't be excused either just because a Dublin player did something else. Completely unsporting. Some will say he did what he had to do but if the shoes on the other foot and Philly McMahon does that to COC then we have a different conversation.

On the 70min mark yesterday thought one of the dub players had spit at the ref after free awarded against them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVkVzXci6M#t=148m25s - edit - probably zoom lens made it look closer than it was..

Stoner wrote: »
    He lost 6 from 14 in the first half and got 11 from 11 in the second half when he went short, stats from the RTE lads. He had a bad period but recovered.

Clarke finished badly imo, the McCarthy mark and the ball over the sideline when possession was crucial were significant.
    At that stage and for that McCarthy Mark surely the Mayo Midfielders had to be contesting for it and in no way allow McCarthy a clean fetch . Surely Clarke could hardly go out and catch it himself after kicking it out....Anyway you can't control everything . Dublin were a small bit better at the end but maybe one hop of the ball and we could have won it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Good speech by COC at Mayo function. Obviously full of the cliches and all but can't imagine how hard it is to be making/listening to this year on year for those men.

https://www.facebook.com/mayogaabanter/?ref=br_rs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

SmurfX wrote: »
    The sport is collapsing in terms of interest and attendances around the country aside from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Even in the worst and probably likely scenario of Dublin and Kerry pushing ahead and leaving Mayo behind we'll still only be an upset or two away from winning Sam since it doesn't look like there'll be a resurgence anywhere else in the foreseeable future and it looks to be heading in the other direction of counties losing interest as they feel they can no longer compete.
    When it starts hitting the GAA's pockets from the neutrals no longer watching I'd imagine you'd start to see officials suddenly noticing and taking action against the kind of thing Eoghan O'Gara gets up to.

I don't see any evidence Kerry will pull away from mayo anytime soon

To be honest mayo were streets ahead of them in the replay this year and galway if they were any use had chances to put them out in the quarters

Dublin would have beaten Kerry by 10+ yesterday

One question

Tiredness I would say and no-one really to come off the bench. We really have no experienced impact subs unfortunately. It would be great to call on a couple of experienced forwards from the bench to settle things down, hold the ball, etc but we don't have that or the player pool of a Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Tiredness I would say and no-one really to come off the bench. We really have no experienced impact subs unfortunately. It would be great to call on a couple of experienced forwards from the bench to settle things down, hold the ball, etc but we don't have that or the player pool of a Dublin.

80 min matches and 6 subs suit teams with stronger panels (5 subs was more than enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Mayo scored the goal but just didnt have enough left to kick on from there. Strangely it may have actually taken the wind out of them psychologically.

As a neutral gutted for Mayo but fair play to Dublin they know how to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

I would argue that david drake subbed on for doherty was a poor choice. I would have put in dillon, as he would offer more attacking power, but otherwise i was happy enoug. I would have brought on kirby about 5 mins earlier to add legs in defence - which i believe was struggling with 5 to go

Mayo scored the goal but just didnt have enough left to kick on from there. Strangely it may have actually taken the wind out of them psychologically.

As a neutral gutted for Mayo but fair play to Dublin they know how to win.

Yeah mayo needed the next score really like they needed to push on after drawing level in the second half of the drawn game last year

I don't often agree with brolly but he's dead right that this mayo team is the best at coming from behind but not when in front

There's a lot of what ifs but lets be honest dublin took their scores far better and are lightyears ahead in composure. I never truly believed mayo would win yest at any stage if I'm totally honest

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah mayo needed the next score really like they needed to push on after drawing level in the second half of the drawn game last year

I don't often agree with brolly but he's dead right that this mayo team is the best at coming from behind but not when in front

There's a lot of what ifs but lets be honest dublin took their scores far better and are lightyears ahead in composure. I never truly believed mayo would win yest at any stage if I'm totally honest

I had to watch on Sky Sports as living in England.

What was noticeable even early in the first half was that Dublin were getting their scores a lot easier than Mayo. When you see that you know that Dublin had another gear to move into.

We've seen it so many times over the years with teams playing against Kilkenny (or even Kerry a few years back)- the other team may be ahead by a point or two but they are working to the absolute max and for Kilkenney just to saunter down the pitch and pop over a few scores and pull away.

Very good teams make it look easy because they are efficient. Mayo are not efficient ball players.

I had to watch on Sky Sports as living in England.

What was noticeable even early in the first half was that Dublin were getting their scores a lot easier than Mayo. When you see that you know that Dublin had another gear to move into.

We've seen it so many times over the years with teams playing against Kilkenny (or even Kerry a few years back)- the other team may be ahead by a point or two but they are working to the absolute max and for Kilkenney just to saunter down the pitch and pop over a few scores and pull away.

Very good teams make it look easy because they are efficient. Mayo are not efficient ball players.

When mayo gave the ball away in the second half at any stage you just knew a dubs score was coming. I can't ever remember a team as clinical

I really think itll be a long, long time before they lose a championship game again as depressing as it sounds for mayo supporters :(

• Advertisement

I should qualify my earlier post.

I wasn't having a go at Mayo- there is no team in country as efficient as Dublin and Mayo were as good as any team to try to put it up to them but Dublin as simply more clinical.

I know it was flagged in press beforehand but it seemed that every sub they brought on made a a crucial impact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement