Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Still feel like getting sick this morning, i'd rather we lose by 10 then this. Don't know how the players can come back after that.

I'm forever saying this, if we're to lose, I much prefer a hammering. When that happens, it's less agonising and there is absolutely no doubt that the best team won.
    If there is any consolation, supporters from most counties will never see their team play in an AI final and rarely see them play in Croke Park.

I know but at this stage and actually for the last few All-Irelands, I've viewed Mayo making the final with nothing but dread. I used to feel as excited as anyone at it, now it's just groan-inducing to me. That ain't good. And the platitudes from neutrals before the final and after the inevitable loss just are so sickening at this stage. I know what I'm about to say will be unpopular but I'm actually almost allergic to us making finals at this stage. It's made me hypersensitive or something but now it's almost unbearable. :P My hubs will tell you but I actually let out a sad sigh at the final whistle against Kerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I'm forever saying this, if we're to lose, I much prefer a hammering. When that happens, it's less agonising and there is absolutely no doubt that the best team won.

I know but at this stage and actually for the last few All-Irelands, I've viewed Mayo making the final with nothing but dread. I used to feel as excited as anyone at it, now it's just groan-inducing to me. That ain't good. And the platitudes from neutrals before the final and after the inevitable loss just are so sickening at this stage. I know what I'm about to say will be unpopular but I'm actually almost allergic to us making finals at this stage. It's made me hypersensitive or something but now it's almost unbearable. :P My hubs will tell you but I actually let out a sad sigh at the final whistle against Kerry.
    Within a break of a ball of GAA heaven yesterday .

We will miss these days immensely if /when they go away .

A long Summer of adventure and Possibility . We have a Great Bunch of Lads representing Mayo and I doubt they would ever turn down our support .

blinding wrote: »
    Within a break of a ball of GAA heaven yesterday .

Those fine margins never go our way though. We are never on the right side. I dunno, 2006-2011 was a lean time for us and it was almost a relief! :D

I think a lot of it is down to the slightly OTT support. I honestly think that puts a lot of pressure on the lads. The more times we lose, the more intense a faction of our supporters get. C'mon, you know what I mean. Just be cool, people!

The players are great, I really don't know how they do it. So I'm not criticising them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I really am gutted for Mayo. I have lots of buddies from Mayo and enough is enough really.

In fact I wouldn't even feel this bad if my beloved Cork had lost but that's prob because I have seen plenty of All Irelands in both hurling and football. As Jay said, when the shops in Cork run out of change they chuck All Ireland hurling medals back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I have to say, this post makes me angry. Lest you forget, it was only 7 short years ago we were losing to Sligo and Longford in the championship. Dark and all that yesterday was, I never want to go back to the likes of that. We have a golden generation now that may not come around for a long time again and hopefully they get their ultimate prize before they finish up.

• Advertisement

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I have to say, this post makes me angry. Lest you forget, it was only 7 short years ago we were losing to Sligo and Longford in the championship. Dark and all that yesterday was, I never want to go back to the likes of that. We have a golden generation now that may not come around for a long time again and hopefully they get their ultimate prize before they finish up.

Ah come on now. Don't be giving it the Golden Generation malarkey. Save that for when a team wins and the English tabloids.

Silver Generation?

Look, I knew it wouldn't be a popular post but a lot of what I describe in my post is just reflexive. I'm not trying to feel that way.

Golden generation they might be but a lot of our best players are nearing retirement and their best years are already behind them. A golden generation would have won!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ah I'm crestfallen for the team,this without doubt is the worst loss of the lot.

Not because I was overly optimistic,I was expecting a Dublin win in all probability.But that is the best performance by a Mayo team in an All Ireland final in recent years.Twas like a funeral procession for my fellow county men and women post the final whistle.Tis the hope that kills you.

No consolation to have lost to a truly great Dublin team,their bench won the day
    Ended up in The Celt pub as a mate's other half was playing a music gig.It was like Guantanamo Bay.Had'nt the heart to go to the banquet.

Nice evening to show one's appreciation of players.

Another dark winter awaits ruminating over the ashes of an enjoyable yet ultimately heartbreaking campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Ah come on now. Don't be giving it the Golden Generation malarkey. Save that for when a team wins and the English tabloids.

Silver Generation?

Yes they are for me. I was far from being around in 36, 50 or 51 so this is my point of reference. 1996 team could (and should) have been but they didn't win either. But that 1996 team were beaten by an inferior Kerry team, lost to a Galway team that won 2 all Ireland's when they could have won and were hammered by Cork in 1999. This team has played in 7 semi final's in a row and reached the final 4 times and were deeply unfortunate to lose the semi final's in 14 and 15 (14 more so). I definitely would not have thought that they'd go on this mammoth run in that time back in 2010.

Fair enough, they haven't collected Sam (yet) but as a county we only have 3 to go on so I wouldn't use that as a stick to beat them by. We've been spoiled the last few years, lets hope it can continue. Have we the young players coming through? Sure the likes of Harrison, DOC, Durcan are young but I'll ask again, have we the players coming through in the underage game to replace them? Can Coen, Loftus, Kirby replace Moran, Boyle, SOS when they retire? People are getting very dismissive of the likes of Kerry saying they're a long way behind us, any team that win's 4 minor's in a row will be pushing on in a few years time, especially when the likes of Jack Barry and Savage got decent game time. I'm not looking for a row or to be dismissive of these young players but it is a worry that when this team begins it's transition, it may be a longer transition than Kerry would have to go through.

Yes they are for me. I was far from being around in 36, 50 or 51 so this is my point of reference. 1996 team could (and should) have been but they didn't win either. But that 1996 team were beaten by an inferior Kerry team, lost to a Galway team that won 2 all Ireland's when they could have won and were hammered by Cork in 1999. This team has played in 7 semi final's in a row and reached the final 4 times and were deeply unfortunate to lose the semi final's in 14 and 15 (14 more so). I definitely would not have thought that they'd go on this mammoth run in that time back in 2010.

Fair enough, they haven't collected Sam (yet) but as a county we only have 3 to go on so I wouldn't use that as a stick to beat them by. We've been spoiled the last few years, lets hope it can continue. Have we the young players coming through? Sure the likes of Harrison, DOC, Durcan are young but I'll ask again, have we the players coming through in the underage game to replace them? Can Coen, Loftus, Kirby replace Moran, Boyle, SOS when they retire? People are getting very dismissive of the likes of Kerry saying they're a long way behind us, any team that win's 4 minor's in a row will be pushing on in a few years time, especially when the likes of Jack Barry and Savage got decent game time. I'm not looking for a row or to be dismissive of these young players but it is a worry that when this team begins it's transition, it may be a longer transition than Kerry would have to go through.

Mayo and indeed Connaught has a great ability to bounce back.

I watched Cork annihilate Mayo in the 1993 semi-final. It was so bad that all the talk afterwards was about the death of not Mayo but Connaught football. There was even whispers about the need for the Connaught championship at all!!

Now that was only 3 years before 1996...so there is always doom and gloom at times like this. Sure I have had to listen to Kerrymen for the last 30 years bull****ting away about how bad things are and no talent coming through- broken record...:rolleyes:

Galway have just won the hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Why is there no mention of the eye gouging by OGara. This has no place in any sport

428167.jpg

This was not eye gouging if it was the Mayo lads would have kicked up foook, and rightly so. And he would have been hammered on the Sunday game and again rightly so. Yes he pressed his hand in his face and held him down, Yellow card.

There was plenty of off the ball stuff going on but not really nasty. COC twice clipped lads on the ankle looking for a reaction and a few Dublin lads were at it as well. That unfortunately is what goes on now. Had we the use of Video ref we could have been down a few more lads by end of the game.

On the Vaughan red and I am no fan of his. I agree it was harsh he didnt actually strike him but threw him to the ground. Also agree Seamie O'Shea was excellent yesterday.

The margins are so fine for amateurs to handle and while Im glad as a Dub (north Dublin) there is huge respect in Dublin for this Mayo squad. The respect for Higgins, Keegan, A.O'S believe me is huge. It is no consolation today but needs to remembered.
    These lads will be back in work in a few days like us and getting on with family life. A few posters need to bear this in mind.

I hope the GAA dig seep and make a healthy contribution to the players holiday fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well... what to say about that. Still devastated, in a daze. Don't know why I'm writing this. Maybe it's the acceptance phase.

From the start. I was delighted to see O'Gara start. Leading up to the game, I thought it was on the cards then I convinced myself it wasn't. A strange call by Jim, maybe. I can see the logic in it but with Dublin's strength in dept, particularly in the forwards... you have to question how O'Gara got the nod. No recognised fullback ok but still. Maybe he helped create a bit of chaos for the goal. That's a bit of a push. I'd rather be a full forward than a keeper these days if that's the case.

Durcan starting for Diarmuid. Not a call I would have made. Durcan is class and probably "deserved" (I hate that bloody word) to start but he is also an amazing impact sub. Diarmuid would have been best used for the hard yards. If you're wearing 2-6 against Dublin, you're going to to be man-marking, that's not Durcan's strength and he got caught out a bit.

With all our talk of bad luck, seeing McCaffrey go down early was probably the best bit of luck I could hope for. And I had hoped for it. The effect of Dublin's bench immediately deminished. He made a run just before going down and it frightening the life out of me.

We showed amazing composure after going the goal down. I've seen people say that we lacked composure. We might lack a cutting edge but we don't lack composure. I was fairly confident we would grind our way into the game.

Talk of Dublin not performing in Finals is an insult to Mayo imo.
    1. It's a final, it's going to be a tense affair.
    2. Mayo are a fairly reliable constant in Dublin not performing, we don't let them perform to their max.

Man for man, in terms of football ability, there is nothing between the teams. Where Dublin win is in their balance. The have more weapons, we have more walls. And their bench obviously but they were never going to have the comfort of emptying it as they would wish in a final against us. But it shone through in the end regardless.

We were as guilty as "not performing" as Dublin. Cillian was disappointingly poor. We failed to take scores that you just have to take to win a Final. Lee passing it into Cluxton's hands. Durcan trying to kick points from range with his bad foot. Andy a bit rushed at the start. Aidan dropping it into Cluxton's hands after the goal. But this is down to Dublin pressure and the enormous pressure of the day, just as we made them make mistakes. I don't want to criticise players, they deserve more than that but it's the harsh reality.

Massive credit has to be given. I had a good feeling that we would rattle Dublin and I think we did. How can you not when you've players of the likes we had.

"Tough hard games" against lesser opponents were a stick used to beat us. It was both right and wrong. We don't put away teams with ease, that is sadly not news to me. But the mental resolve and conditioning it gave us was an edge over Dublin. The simple fact is that they hadn't a hand laid on them all year, that is not ideal. Nexts years restructure is probably going to help Dublin quite a bit in that sense.

Keegan on Kilkenny was a great call. If you want to disrupt Dublin, you can't let Kilkenny pull the strings. We didn't. Well done to Rochford for getting a hell of a lot right.

A lot of sh1te talk about cynical this and cynical that. These players would kill for an All Ireland. Rochford said in an interview before the game that sometimes the job is to try to wind them back in a bit. O'Gara got physical, what do you expect. There is a line, I don't think he crossed it personally. Still images can make everything look bad. Keegan tried to put Rock off by throwing his gps, fair play to him. If Mayo were a point up I'd have hoped that they would have done everything possible to delay a kick out.

Unfortunately I think we've a few complaints about the ref. He didn't cost us and All Ireland but a few key decisions didn't make it any easier. The Dublin point before HT was a key swing in momentum I felt. Cluxton may have saved the peno, that could have won it for Dublin ealrier. The opportunity would have been nice though.

I'm off to the homecoming. They deserve to know how much we appreciate them. I'll be bringing a tissue or two... for the kids obviously. My four year old daughter was inconsolable yesterday. She took the defeat ok but went into hysterics when she realised Aidan wouldn't be bringing Sam in to school for them. In a really sick way, at least they've got to sample the hurt. It'll make the win all the more sweater.

I let myself believe we had it won when Lee scored. That's the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

In the finals we have been in contention in, usually against Dublin as it happens, we just haven't shown any sort of composure in the last 10 or 15 minutes. Maybe its tiredness, although I am not fully buying that, as we get into great positions and usually fight to the end.
    Its a pity we don't have an Andy Moran type player coming off the bench towards the end, experienced, cool head, ball-winner. Alas we need him to start too. Unfortunately we have a shallow pool of players in Mayo, albeit brilliant players, and its very hard to expect the same set of players to continually go to the Well.

Our discipline has always let us down in finals too and unfortunately we have too many players who act rashly. They are too wound up.

Look it, we will be back next year. Genuinely the only county willing to give the Dubs a crack. A bit more composure and we should have beaten them. All things considered and given the player resources available to Dublin, Mayo did brilliantly.

Mayo and indeed Connaught has a great ability to bounce back.

I watched Cork annihilate Mayo in the 1993 semi-final. It was so bad that all the talk afterwards was about the death of not Mayo but Connaught football. There was even whispers about the need for the Connaught championship at all!!

Now that was only 3 years before 1996...so there is always doom and gloom at times like this. Sure I have had to listen to Kerrymen for the last 30 years bull****ting away about how bad things are and no talent coming through- broken record...:rolleyes:

Galway have just won the hurling.

In fairness not a bad year for Connacht alright. And Mayo have represented the province magnificently in recent years.

Those fine margins never go our way though. We are never on the right side. I dunno, 2006-2011 was a lean time for us and it was almost a relief! :D

I think a lot of it is down to the slightly OTT support. I honestly think that puts a lot of pressure on the lads. The more times we lose, the more intense a faction of our supporters get. C'mon, you know what I mean. Just be cool, people!

The players are great, I really don't know how they do it. So I'm not criticising them at all.

The way I tend to look at it is we are gradually nudging towards it. We were closer this year than last. This year we could have won it with some composure which has very little to do with skill or fitness levels and more to do with keeping a cool head and maintaining discipline. Last year the two own goals cost us. We managed to eliminate those mistakes this year as well as sticking with Clarke which is vital.
    If we were 2% off last year, we were 1% off this year. We aren't a million miles off winning Sam. Next year it will probably be us and the Dubs again. We definitely have the beating of them, if we keep our discipline and composure. Footballing wise we are their equals, which is amazing given they can pick from 1.5 million people, whereas we have a population of 130,000.
    So probably a time to look at the positives.
    How we will ever replace Andy Moran though when he does finally decide to hang up his boots is beyond me. If only as a 10-15 minute impact player he could still play a huge role.
    I genuinely hope when the dust is settled none of this team retire before next year. Give them a long break if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jr86 wrote: »
    When mayo gave the ball away in the second half at any stage you just knew a dubs score was coming. I can't ever remember a team as clinical

I really think itll be a long, long time before they lose a championship game again as depressing as it sounds for mayo supporters :(

If this Mayo team fall away next year then it is going to be depressing for all football supporters bar the ones in Dublin.
    At least they are giving them a game and making it watchable for neutrals.
    Mayo are big box office and there is always the "what if" aspect to the story.

Croke Park HQ should be damn glad of this team and their fans.

When this team falls away and it is surely going to happen in the near future as we can't expect them to keep going back to the well, the GAA football championship will be a lot poorer for their absence on the big days.

jmayo wrote: »
    If this Mayo team fall away next year then it is going to be depressing for all football supporters bar the ones in Dublin.
    At least they are giving them a game and making it watchable for neutrals.
    Mayo are big box office and there is always the "what if" aspect to the story.

Croke Park HQ should be damn glad of this team and their fans.

When this team falls away and it is surely going to happen in the near future as we can't expect them to keep going back to the well, the GAA football championship will be a lot poorer for their absence on the big days.

Unless you are from Dublin, Croke Park couldn't give a flying fcuk. That's been made abundantly clear in the last decade. And it will continue for the foreseeable future unless they decide to take a drastic change in direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

My club lost 5 all club finals in 7 years, four of them in a row. Each time was sickening and even though we never won one I would not swap that time for anything. It was the time of our lives and even now 25 years later there are still great stories swapped and memories re-lived. So while Mayo feel really down today my county and nearly all other would swap places with you for the thrill of the ride.
    Mayo can still win one. In fact I would put them as favourites next year. Dublin cannot be as hungry and with a bit more compusure and cleverness Mayo can beat them. No other team has a chance next year.

Oldira wrote: »
    So while Mayo feel really down today my county and nearly all other would swap places with you for the thrill of the ride.

It's vverrrry easy to say that from the outside. You don't really know unless you've experienced it. Many Mayo fans are still hopeful but many are thoroughly fed up too. Both positions are valid. For me personally, there is only so much positivity I can muster and I exhausted those reserves a few years ago.

The way I tend to look at it is we are gradually nudging towards it. We were closer this year than last. This year we could have won it with some composure which has very little to do with skill or fitness levels and more to do with keeping a cool head and maintaining discipline. Last year the two own goals cost us. We managed to eliminate those mistakes this year as well as sticking with Clarke which is vital.
    If we were 2% off last year, we were 1% off this year. We aren't a million miles off winning Sam. Next year it will probably be us and the Dubs again. We definitely have the beating of them, if we keep our discipline and composure. Footballing wise we are their equals, which is amazing given they can pick from 1.5 million people, whereas we have a population of 130,000.
    So probably a time to look at the positives.
    How we will ever replace Andy Moran though when he does finally decide to hang up his boots is beyond me. If only as a 10-15 minute impact player he could still play a huge role.
    I genuinely hope when the dust is settled none of this team retire before next year. Give them a long break if needed.

TBH it's not as clear cut as that. GAA is far tighter in rural areas and teams do not have the same pressure from other sports as in city areas. Now I know emigration can be an issue in rural counties.

Dublin has a huge population but I see it another way- it is great achievement for Dublin to bring it together and dominate when there is so much competition around.

If you can collect in 20-25 hungry motivated players and a good coach you can go very far regardless of population. Mick O'Dwyer did it for years with Kildar, Wicklow and Laois, Paudi O'Se brought a Leinster title to West Meath, look at Ulster-it's like musical chairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

It's vverrrry easy to say that from the outside. You don't really know unless you've experienced it. Many Mayo fans are still hopeful but many are thoroughly fed up too. Both positions are valid. For me personally, there is only so much positivity I can muster and I exhausted those reserves a few years ago.

But I have. 5 Final and tw semi final losses in 7 years with my club. A lub title is every bit as important to the people as a county one. I am not minimising the devastation Mayo folk will feel this week but there is a lot to look forward to. Mayo are a whisker away from taking down Dublin. One more try but thats not to say I hope Roscommon beat you if we meet again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Mayo were the better team. Player ratings in today's media reflect this.

Vaughan has to take large proportion of blame. Not easy on him but crazy crazy act.

Doherty goal miss. Massive.

COC missed frees.

Don't think a team 'deserves' an All Ireland making above mistakes.

Dublin just more efficient and should be thankful to Mayo for the last two All Irelands. Other teams may not have been as generous.

Oldira wrote: »
    But I have. 5 Final and tw semi final losses in 7 years with my club. A lub title is every bit as important to the people as a county one.

Yeah, I saw that and I don't think it compares. Plus, that's you. Not everyone would be the same.

djPSB wrote: »
    Mayo were the better team. Player ratings in today's media reflect this.

Vaughan has to take large proportion of blame. Not easy on him but crazy crazy act.

Doherty goal miss. Massive.

COC missed frees.

Don't think a team 'deserves' an All Ireland making above mistakes.

Dublin just more efficient and should be thankful to Mayo for the last two All Irelands. Other teams may not have been as generous.

I don't mean to be a prick or troll but Mayo were not the better team- they didn't win and neither were Dublin jammy dodgers who scrapped their way to an AI.

But as you said and I even used the same word- Dublin were efficient and yes Mayo had more wides but that in itself proves that Mayo were not the better team.

The team that wins is the better team no matter how it's done and any suggestion to the contrary is grasping at straws. Sorry.

I don't mean to be a prick or troll but Mayo were not the better team- they didn't win and neither were Dublin jammy dodgers who scrapped their way to an AI.

But as you said and I even used the same word- Dublin were efficient and yes Mayo had more wides but that in itself proves that Mayo were not the better team.

The team that wins is the better team no matter how it's done and any suggestion to the contrary is grasping at straws. Sorry.

So if Jason Doherty finished the goal instead of blasting it at Cluxton and went on to win, then Mayo would suddenly be better?

In a one point game, the score board doesn't always indicate which team was better. Alot of the Dublin players were poor. Kilkenny, O'Gara, Andrews, Flynn, Small, Fenton all under performed.

Mayo were better, just weren't ruthless once again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

djPSB wrote:
    So if Jason Doherty finished the goal instead of blasting it at Cluxton and went on to win, then Mayo would suddenly be better?

That makes no sense at all.
    If he produced a better finish, he'd be better.

That applies to every player everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

djPSB wrote: »

Mayo were better, just weren't ruthless once again.

Ye could say the same about Rock, if he had of put it in the back of net instead if over the bar...
    And on and on it goes.

The suggestion that the score board always indicates which team was better is wrong. Most of the time but not always. Not yesterday.

Mayo played better than Dublin in last year's game too but then decided to score two own goals.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I agree that the best team does not always win but the better team (very marginally) won yesterday. Dublin showed more composure and more ruthlessness when they were on top, Mayo failed to take enough of an advantage from their periods of dominance.

Mayo's problem is in the top six inches IMO, which unfortunately for them is a much more difficult issue to solve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

TBH it's not as clear cut as that. GAA is far tighter in rural areas and teams do not have the same pressure from other sports as in city areas. Now I know emigration can be an issue in rural counties.

Dublin has a huge population but I see it another way- it is great achievement for Dublin to bring it together and dominate when there is so much competition around.

If you can collect in 20-25 hungry motivated players and a good coach you can go very far regardless of population. Mick O'Dwyer did it for years with Kildar, Wicklow and Laois, Paudi O'Se brought a Leinster title to West Meath, look at Ulster-it's like musical chairs.

Do you realise just how strong underage football is now in Dublin ?
    They have the structures in place and the numbers.
    It is truly scary.

And I hate this shyte about how numbers don't matter.
    The bigger the numbers playing, the greater the chance of you having better players.

The likes of Wicklow, Westmeath, etc will never have the playing numbers that will give them the same class of 20-25 hungry motivated players as Dublin.
    And Dublin won't just have 20-25 hungry motivated players they will have 50 or a 100.
    And if one of those 20-25 that are on the squad slacks off, decides to take year off, has major injury or decides to go postal with officials, there is another lad to take their spot and another lad to take his spot.

And you would swear that people in other counties have absolutely no other sport or pastimes when you listen to that stuff about competition in Dublin from other sports.

Limerick city is primarily rugby.
    Cork has rugby, soccer and hurling to compete against football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement