Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Vaughan was daft but it was a ridiculous red card - that's yellow all day long. Never a red.

A privilege to be at the last three matches between these two teams.

How Keegan was left off Sunday game team of the year is beyond me.

SOD was excellent for first half, good for 20 mins of second half. I cannot fathom why Andy Moran was taken off but AOS left on.

Good post.
    Many people being very harsh on Vaughan. Like I said previously it was highly unlikely he knew Small was already on a yellow. Agree that it was a harsh sending off, but we all know referees.!!
    Agree on Keegan too,should have made that team and should've been on the MOTM shortlist yesterday. He nullified Kilkenny, Dublin's playmaker all year.
    How AOS was shortlisted ahead of him beggars belief. As Brolly said he was very average yesterday.
    Finally, how the most under-rated player around at the moment, Jason Doherty was excluded from that team is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

PhoneMain wrote: »
    can't help thinking now that this team isn't going to do it now. an unbelievable team of warriors that owe us absolutely nothing. really feel that the better team lost on the day, Doherty and mcloughlin were immense. Aidan put in some work, my girlfriend was never his biggest fan but couldn't stop praising him after the game. as he was kicking the ball after the goal I couldn't held think that if this goes over, we'll push on cos the lift would have been amazing. I was heartbroken looking at the players on the pitch and seeing Rochys interview after. however I'm worried that what's coming behind our golden generation isn't good enough. Andy, zippy, Boyler, Parsons are all a year older now, can loftus, Kirby, coen step into the void left when they go? not looking to criticise, more looking for encouragement, anything to get over the numbness I feel inside today.

Not a chance. The team with more belief won The AI. Mayo's greatest rivals are themselves. Don't get me wrong, I was hoping they'd do it, but once again they opened a door, had a look, and slammed it in their own faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Low

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

PhoneMain wrote: »
    can't help thinking now that this team isn't going to do it now. an unbelievable team of warriors that owe us absolutely nothing. really feel that the better team lost on the day, Doherty and mcloughlin were immense. Aidan put in some work, my girlfriend was never his biggest fan but couldn't stop praising him after the game. as he was kicking the ball after the goal I couldn't held think that if this goes over, we'll push on cos the lift would have been amazing. I was heartbroken looking at the players on the pitch and seeing Rochys interview after. however I'm worried that what's coming behind our golden generation isn't good enough. Andy, zippy, Boyler, Parsons are all a year older now, can loftus, Kirby, coen step into the void left when they go? not looking to criticise, more looking for encouragement, anything to get over the numbness I feel inside today.
    The better team always wins at the end of the day, its the reason for a scoreboard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ive never been as down after a match as I am this morning.

Take solace
    Lift up your hearts
    Each new hour holds new chances
    For new beginnings.
    Do not be wedded forever
    To fear, yoked eternally
    To brutishness.
    The horizon leans forward,
    Offering you space to place new steps of change.

Mya Angelu - On the pulse of morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why is there no mention of the eye gouging by OGara. This has no place in any sport

428167.jpg

nor this 428169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No, but there is no comparison between the 2. One a nearby distraction, the other an attempt to take a players eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Cartman, Don't think of it as people sympathizing with you but that they are expressing their respect. Respect is by far more due to this Mayo team and their fans than sympathy.

I know people mean well and everything....but it's getting harder to take every year (God knows how the players deal with it)

I was literally getting out of my car and had someone over for a post mortem :D

And have two fellas a couple of rows over doing an in-depth play-by-play analysis....they'll probably come over in a few minutes to get my hot take on it.

Anyway, I know there's far more important things to be concerned about these days but fuppit, it would be such a boost for the people of Mayo to win Sam. As others have said, if it doesn't happen with this squad of players in the next couple of seasons we could be in trouble :(

I was at the 1989 Final as a wide-eyed 11 year old - I'm now hitting 40 and have a son the same that my Dad was when Mayo last won it....2 years old (:eek::eek::eek::eek:)...dunno whether to laugh or cry at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭riddles

Shooting yourself in the foot is something unfortunately Mayo do. The rush of blood to the head and the guy getting himself sent off. I counted maybe 5 chances not converted. Not being able to pull away on the score board when dominant and then silly things like having no one alert to the O'Connor free for the rebound as in Aidan O'Shea - the defensive unit was setup at the time only two players up and neither in a particularly useful position. Its a little bit unlucky Andy Moran has the year of his life and some of the other forewards drop a little below their previous highs. But Dublin had the stronger bench and a winning mentality which was the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Squatman

kilns wrote: »
    nor this 428169.jpg

Well spotted Kilns. Cheating baxtards

Can you imagine if a Dub did that to COC during his last free , what would your reaction be

Can you imagine if a Dub did that to COC during his last free , what would your reaction be

No comment on the eye gouging by O'Gara Klins, but all over the little black thing at Rocks feet :o:o. Hate to see what your like if you lost :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Cormac Costello was throwing Clarkes kicking tee into the crowd for the last Kickouts. Nothing said about it mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No comment on the eye gouging by O'Gara Klins, but all over the little black thing at Rocks feet :o:o. Hate to see what your like if you lost :eek:.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/eoghan-ogara-get-away-one-colm-boyle-137281

"Despite some claims that there was a gouge on Boyle's eye, there certainly didn't seem to look like any."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I lost count of the number of times a Mayo player would handpass it to another Mayo player who was already surrounded by Dublin players, including one in injury time which Dublin won and led to the winner.

Some of the Mayo decision making was disappointing particularly at this level.

But we can't fault the team too much, they put in a great effort this year. Its the fine margins that let Mayo down, poor pass selection, lack of composure and lack of patience. Dublin will hold on to the ball until the right option becomes available, Mayo players feel a need to offload it as quickly as possible, even to a player already marked.

We will be there or thereabouts again next year because lets face it, its only Dublin and Mayo now as the big 2. Everyone else is a good bit off the pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Just watched the last few minutes there again . Exciting stuff but alas Dublin won it again .

Interesting if Cillian's Free Kick had gone over . A Mayo man should have been more alert for a possible off the Post....Possible Point or Goal available .

Mayo Just had to contest the Ball that McCarthy Won......If you didn't win it yourself then the opposition could not be allowed a clean win .

The Mark worked well from a Football point of View there and it has been a good move.

Two great Teams gave us a great Final .

Many Thanks . ye are two great bunch of Lads .

mattser wrote: »
    Not a chance. The team with more belief won The AI. Mayo's greatest rivals are themselves. Don't get me wrong, I was hoping they'd do it, but once again they opened a door, had a look, and slammed it in their own faces.

Dublin and Mayo are essentially the same in terms of footballing ability. The difference is composure and pass and shot selection at crucial times. A rush of blood to the head seems to be common for several of these players.

Its going to be hard to come back from this defeat, but this team is still relatively young. They played average for most of the year and still ended up in an AI final and in with a shout into injury time. So unless they face Dublin in the semi final, they will probably make it to another final next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

blinding wrote: »
    Just watched the last few minutes there again . Exciting stuff but alas Dublin won it again .

Interesting if Cillian's Free Kick had gone over . A Mayo man should have been more alert for a possible off the Post....Possible Point or Goal available .

Mayo Just had to contest the Ball that McCarthy Won......If you didn't win it yourself then the opposition could not be allowed a clean win .

The Mark worked well from a Football point of View there and it has been a good move.

Two great Teams gave us a great Final .

Many Thanks . ye are two great bunch of Lads .

O'Shea was poor for that McCarthy catch. He was close enough to compete for it, just to break it. Maybe he was just too exhausted to compete as he got on a lot of ball throughout the match

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭franklyon

Was a lonely walk from Croke Park to the city centre yesterday. I remember looking at the clock with 10 minutes left and being 2 up and thinking finally we have a chance. That's why today just feel utterly deflated but we will be back and keep coming back until we win the fecking thing.
    The homecoming is on tonight in mc hale park but I think the players just want to be left alone so won't be going. I think it should be cancelled as I dont really see the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

Why is there no mention of the eye gouging by OGara. This has no place in any sport

To me it looked like his hand was in the players mouth. Not an eye gouge at all but weird all the same.

Wardling wrote: »
    To me it looked like his hand was in the players mouth. Not an eye gouge at all but weird all the same.

There's a couple of players on the Dublin team I will never have time for and O'Gara is one. He's a poor man's Kieran Donaghy with none of Stars skill or sportsmanship.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Lads, still feel so devastated to the pit of my stomach. Usually has passed by now. :( Doesn't help that my hubs is from Galway, witnessed him having his euphoric final whistle moment two weeks ago and desperately wanted to experience that myself. I have a serious illness and time is running for me to see them do it so that adds to it all. This team will likely not win now so I won't see Mayo win the All-Ireland before I croak. Gutting. Not Mayo's problem of course, just a personal thing.

I feel like everyone feels the need to mitigate the disappointment and I understand that. But it's just heartbreaking and I can't even bring myself to utter any platitudes to either team. Wallowing, I know. :P

If there is any consolation, supporters from most counties will never see their team play in an AI final and rarely see them play in Croke Park.

Despite all the final losses, I'd still rather be from Mayo than from a couple of the fallen giants of the game who have little chance of a final any time soon.

Disappointed naturally but still proud to be from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Why was Martin carney on mid west yesterday? Where were the usual guys like John Casey and billy fitz?

km79 wrote: »
    Those last 2 kickouts from Clarke were why Hennelly got the nod last year

:rolleyes:

Conveniently forget the penalty and black card for Lee Keegan as well as countless other kickouts Hennelly gave away last year?

Hennelly will never ever be a patch on Clarke.

Yep no place for that in the game either in full agreement, deserves a lengthy ban if found guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Honestly, if this generation of players don't win an All Ireland, we could be waiting for decades.

The sport is collapsing in terms of interest and attendances around the country aside from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Even in the worst and probably likely scenario of Dublin and Kerry pushing ahead and leaving Mayo behind we'll still only be an upset or two away from winning Sam since it doesn't look like there'll be a resurgence anywhere else in the foreseeable future and it looks to be heading in the other direction of counties losing interest as they feel they can no longer compete.
    When it starts hitting the GAA's pockets from the neutrals no longer watching I'd imagine you'd start to see officials suddenly noticing and taking action against the kind of thing Eoghan O'Gara gets up to.

I'd agree with the losing interest argument.
    Young players are choosing other sports in the lesser counties or else heading off to America over the summer or Australia longer term.
    Donegal made great strides but it was unsustainable. Now they are just another county.
    Galway, Cork, Meath, Kildare, Monaghan seem as far off as ever.
    Kerry are heading towards transition, and Tyrone are over-rated.
    Realistically only Mayo and Dublin can challenge for Sam now. You'd have to question how we got to this situation and how we make the competition credible again. I personally think its a lost cause at this stage and the traditional county based model of competing for Sam is obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

:rolleyes:

Conveniently forget the penalty and black card for Lee Keegan as well as countless other kickouts Hennelly gave away last year?

Hennelly will never ever be a patch on Clarke.

In fairness, I don't think he's saying that Hennelly should have started yesterday. He's just saying that it was Clarke's weakness come kickouts that lead Hennelly to be considered before last year's final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

There's a couple of players on the Dublin team I will never have time for and O'Gara is one. He's a poor man's Kieran Donaghy with none of Stars skill or sportsmanship.

He's a great man for knocking in a goal or two against the whipping boys of Leinster!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement