Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am gutted ,like nearly everyone else in the country but I must thank the mayo team for all the entertaining games most of them shown live on tv .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well , We are Probably the second best team of All Times .

To Attain the Title of Best Team of All Times I think We should start our Quest for the 4/5 In A Row Right Now .

We have to Aim High and this Just Looking For One All - Ireland has Curtailed Us Up To Now . Aim High Brothers and Sisters . We Are Mayo and We Will not Give Up .:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Sorry men from a Galway man. Ye were awesome at times. Tis no help to ye today but ye didn't lose a thing in defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Thought O'Shea was good but I am not sure he was in the top 4 players on the pitch.

I think they should have moved him into no. 14 for a while just to vary things up.

It was some achievement to be the 13th best player on the runners up team and be nominated for MOTM though, some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

danganabu wrote: »
    Well well, would that be the same AOS who the panel just nominated for MOTM :D

They probably had to put him in the 4 to stop his buddy McStay from crying.
    Brolly called it right earlier, and he has been an AOS buddy in the past, when he stated that AOS went missing when it mattered most.
    To put him in the same category as McCarthy is some insult to McCarthy.
    To put him ahead of Clarke,Barrett,Boyle,Higgins,Parsons,Seamie,McLaughlin,Moran,Cillian and the totally under-rated Jason Doc is criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I wouldnt have put AOS in top 4 on the field either and it is not the anti-AOS thing. He was visibly tiring and edge of the square was place for him, even for 10 minutes to change things a little. I thought Seamie was good, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle, Andy Moran and Kevin McLoughlin when they gave him the ball.

As was pointed out the toll today took on players was enormous. Both sets of players gave it everything and in the end a very tight margin is the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Weve lost 4 in 6 years but I'm still optimistic even though I came out of Croke Park maybe we'll never ever win one but I've got bit of sense again.

Someone said to me today that the journey is sometimes greater than the destination. And this has been one hell of a journey. Sure what's the point of living if you don't believe having hope and faith.

It maybe 1 year, 5 years or 10 but we'll be back. It's just what we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

LeoB wrote: »
    I wouldnt have put AOS in top 4 on the field either and it is not the anti-AOS thing. He was visibly tiring and edge of the square was place for him, even for 10 minutes to change things a little. I thought Seamie was good, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle, Andy Moran and Kevin McLoughlin when they gave him the ball.

As was pointed out the toll today took on players was enormous. Both sets of players gave it everything and in the end a very tight margin is the difference.

I doubt I ever saw a match where 2 teams were so exhausted at the end. Reminded me of the final Ali - Frazier fight! When Higgins was on the ground and he received a pass, there were players falling on all sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I doubt I ever saw a match where 2 teams were so exhausted at the end. Reminded me of the final Ali - Frazier fight!

I actually thought of poor auld Gatti and Micky Ward hammering the shíte out of each other in round 9! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

washman3 wrote: »
    And after today you can see why AOS is criticized, was poor to average yet again in a big game. Virtually anonymous in the second half and blessed not to be black-carded at the throw in. It was a stone-wall black card. Still to score in an A.I. final, amazing. His lazy/wild effort for glory summed him up. Mayo were on a high after the goal and he should have laid off a pass inside to those who can score. It was also his 'hospital pass' that got Boyle creased leading to Vaughan's red card. Boyle had to be replaced shortly after, couldn't recover.

As for Cillian, he's a certain All-Star for me. An amazing scoring tally this year.
    That free was very,very difficult and he almost nailed it. It was cruel luck.
    Was a far more difficult one than Rock's winner.

I'll gladly take a ban but would you ever go and get a life you absolute loser

Mods how does this lad keep getting away with his anti AOS nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

jr86 wrote: »
    I'll gladly take a ban but would you ever go and get a life you absolute loser

I haven't seen any of his posts in well over a year due to the magic of the ignore button
    Unless ye quote him........

km79 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of his posts in well over a year due to the magic of the ignore button
    Unless ye quote him........

Sorry pal my mistake will do similar

Probably because they know its true and,like me, they don't wear Green and Red tinted glasses either.
    Bernard Flynn called it right some months back...;)

Ok I'm incredibly tired tbf but how do you put someone on ignore on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ok I'm incredibly tired tbf but how do you put someone on ignore on your phone

Go to sleep and wait till the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Weve lost 4 in 6 years but I'm still optimistic even though I came out of Croke Park maybe we'll never ever win one but I've got bit of sense again.

Someone said to me today that the journey is sometimes greater than the destination. And this has been one hell of a journey. Sure what's the point of living if you don't believe having hope and faith.

It maybe 1 year, 5 years or 10 but we'll be back. It's just what we do.

its just what we do because this is our golden generation.
    but I'm old enough to remember plenty barren years when we weren't challenging,

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

I also feel sorry for Vaughan, the Dublin centre back was getting a second yellow without a doubt and that rush of blood possibly cost Mayo the AI?

Agree to extent but rush of blood no excuse. You've got to have awareness of what's what when yellow cards had been dished out all over the shop.

That was essentially Mayo's big chance. I said all week to 'experts' at work predicting easy Dublin win Mayo will be there, they just need a break when pressure is on and that'll get them through, which they haven't got in latter stages of previous all Ireland's.

Get the free, level pegging, 14 v 15, would have tipped the scales. Part of enduring the physical battle is reaching that exact scenario.

What happened next absolutely mind boggling.
    I was really hoping for Vaughan's sake they pulled it off so he wouldn't be living with what might have been. Wasn't to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Honestly, if this generation of players don't win an All Ireland, we could be waiting for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Honestly, if this generation of players don't win an All Ireland, we could be waiting for decades.

That's what I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

its frightening when you seen whats coming through in Kerry,
    I know there is no guarantee of minors making it through at senior level.

but 4 all Ireland minor wins in a row its still a strong foundation going forward surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

One success at minor doesn't mean much. Roscommon in 2006 didn't amount to anything. But four in a row is incredible. Kerry will undoubtedly win several All Irelands in years to come. The odds are probably against Mayo winning for years to come.

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    its frightening when you seen whats coming through in Kerry,
    I know there is no guarantee of minors making it through at senior level.

but 4 all Ireland minor wins in a row its still a strong foundation going forward surely

Lol don't mind Kerry, dublins potential dominance is quite scary. I'm sure it's a long way off but eventually they will have to be split really. They really should have won 5 in a row today and it's odds on that they will in two years lets be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

joe35 wrote: »
    AOS should of had a black card at the throw in after half time. Probably the most obvious of all the mistakes the ref made today.

Dublin joe couldnt do that as it would highlight that joe basically threw the ball to the dublin midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Lads, still feel so devastated to the pit of my stomach. Usually has passed by now. :( Doesn't help that my hubs is from Galway, witnessed him having his euphoric final whistle moment two weeks ago and desperately wanted to experience that myself. I have a serious illness and time is running for me to see them do it so that adds to it all. This team will likely not win now so I won't see Mayo win the All-Ireland before I croak. Gutting. Not Mayo's problem of course, just a personal thing.

I feel like everyone feels the need to mitigate the disappointment and I understand that. But it's just heartbreaking and I can't even bring myself to utter any platitudes to either team. Wallowing, I know. :P

kupus wrote: »
    Dublin joe couldnt do that as it would highlight that joe basically threw the ball to the dublin midfielder.

I've definitely heard it all now....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

someyoke wrote: »
    Agree to extent but rush of blood no excuse. You've got to have awareness of what's what when yellow cards had been dished out all over the shop.

That was essentially Mayo's big chance. I said all week to 'experts' at work predicting easy Dublin win Mayo will be there, they just need a break when pressure is on and that'll get them through, which they haven't got in latter stages of previous all Ireland's.

Get the free, level pegging, 14 v 15, would have tipped the scales. Part of enduring the physical battle is reaching that exact scenario.

What happened next absolutely mind boggling.
    I was really hoping for Vaughan's sake they pulled it off so he wouldn't be living with what might have been. Wasn't to be.

Vaughan was daft but it was a ridiculous red card - that's yellow all day long. Never a red.

A privilege to be at the last three matches between these two teams.

How Keegan was left off Sunday game team of the year is beyond me.

SOD was excellent for first half, good for 20 mins of second half. I cannot fathom why Andy Moran was taken off but AOS left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't know how disappointed with this I am, it seems to be getting normal.

That should make the day we win it even better.

Once again it was tiny margins, a rash decision here, a hit post there, a rebound off that post that fell to the defenders rather than the attacker.

They did so much so right yesterday but again it's the little things.

As it is right now Mayo are the only team that can go toe to to with Dublin, they are both streets ahead of anyone else.

And as a result I expect them at the business end again next year.

They do need to freshen up of course, and some guys may call it a day, but they still have buckets or determination and pride to be back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ive never been as down after a match as I am this morning.

Ive never been as down after a match as I am this morning.

Still feel like getting sick this morning, i'd rather we lose by 10 then this. Don't know how the players can come back after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

can't help thinking now that this team isn't going to do it now. an unbelievable team of warriors that owe us absolutely nothing. really feel that the better team lost on the day, Doherty and mcloughlin were immense. Aidan put in some work, my girlfriend was never his biggest fan but couldn't stop praising him after the game. as he was kicking the ball after the goal I couldn't held think that if this goes over, we'll push on cos the lift would have been amazing. I was heartbroken looking at the players on the pitch and seeing Rochys interview after. however I'm worried that what's coming behind our golden generation isn't good enough. Andy, zippy, Boyler, Parsons are all a year older now, can loftus, Kirby, coen step into the void left when they go? not looking to criticise, more looking for encouragement, anything to get over the numbness I feel inside today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement