Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

No but they did beat us this year.;) Hard luck Mayo.I thought ye were very unlucky today.I thought Dublin got more than their fare share of the breaks off the reff and it got them over the line in a 1 point game.I have serious respect for the amount of times this Mayo time keeps going to the well after suffering setbacks.Hopefully the current team still have enough in them to have another serious crack at it next year.

A Dublin ref wouldn't have been any less impartial than McQuillan today. Andy Moran's jersey must be two sizes too big for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Are hennellys kickouts really that superior? His kickouts were probably the reason that Mayo lost the Galway and Dublin matches last year. When a team loses, people always point to the kickouts - it's such an easy target. Cluxtons kickouts weren't good today either.

Rochford clearly thought so last year when he decided to make the change for the replay.

The problem with Clarkes kickouts is they are too floaty and of the hospital pass variety and so are ripe for picking off by the opposition.

He really should be pinging them with his instep rather than sidefooting them like he does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Time to lick wounds and plan .

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Great game today but too many players on mayo team took wrong decision at times. AOS went for awild shot when it was never on. Andy Moran done similar, the two kick outs at the end. Balls dropping short, missed frees, poor wides, Vaughan!!!!... I think it was a sum of all the little mistakes that mayo made that was their downfall. Not too sure of stats but I'm sure Dublin hadn't as many 'mistakes' hense the victory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

TrueGael wrote: »
    Would you ever fck off you fcking troll

Hit a nerve did I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Poor in the first half but I thought he was excellent in the second half, just couldn't get that free when he needed to not really a miss you could blame him for as it would have been a great score had he got it.

I think of that free goes over Mayo go onto win. He kicks it, it gives the Mayo forwards time to get into position, he misses and the ball breaks to a Dublin back, no extra few seconds to get ready for the kickout, Dublin move it fast up the field. In fairness to Connolly for a big man, its a great change of direction or jink that gets him the free, off of probably the MOTM at that time.
    Great game of football, I would not blame Clarke either at the end, as the Dubs fouled every option he had for the kickout, extremely cynical, but that is how they close out matches.
    I also feel sorry for Vaughan, the Dublin centre back was getting a second yellow without a doubt and that rush of blood possibly cost Mayo the AI. With an extra Man they could have left someone like Keegan free to float around for the remainder of the game.

No point saying hard luck or youse did your best as it all does not matter a ****
    When a game is that close, when two teams are by far and away the best in Ireland, fine margins and making less mistakes wins the game. Dublin made less errors and won.

I feel sick about it so I can only imagine how youse feel. We had it down here in Waterford two weeks ago.

P.S why did Mayo back off of Cluxtons kicks after it working so well, I can understand giving it a rest for 15/20 mins, but not the remainder of the game, or was it that Seamie O'Shea was gone and they were not confident of winning enough aerial possession?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hi,

As a Donegal native, I'd just like to commend the Mayo team that I witnessed today. They showed hunger, incredible determination and a level of skill that many counties can only stare on in envy at. They weren't my team, but by God I was proud of those Mayo players and there was nothing to be ashamed of even though they lost. They actually rattled Dublin, and dictated the game in many moments throughout the match. That's more than any other county in Ireland can say. A privilege to watch and I wish the Mayo team the best of luck for 2018, ye as a team are best positioned to take Dublin down next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

AOS should of had a black card at the throw in after half time. Probably the most obvious of all the mistakes the ref made today.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Aw lads... Heartbroken for you after today. Last year was bad enough but this year must be awful. Had the whole family, kids and all shouting for Mayo today. I'm convinced this mayo team have at least one all Ireland in them... They just have to go and take it.

Chin up... There's always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

joe35 wrote: »
    Great game today but too many players on mayo team took wrong decision at times. AOS went for awild shot when it was never on. Andy Moran done similar, the two kick outs at the end. Balls dropping short, missed frees, poor wides, Vaughan!!!!... I think it was a sum of all the little mistakes that mayo made that was their downfall. Not too sure of stats but I'm sure Dublin hadn't as many 'mistakes' hense the victory

Probably a fair analysis . Ref was above average for such a high profile game. Are Dublin the best team of all time . Maybe . But a team of mayo will have no accolades for being great triers.

A no free before halftime pulled Dublin back to one and a penalty cop out kept diblin on the game at a very crucial time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

PARlance wrote: »
    We're long passed taking solace in being heroic losers. We were good in lot of areas, very poor in some. Got a few key decisions against us but ultimately had the winning of the game in our own hands.

We blew it. We will be back though.

Mayo didn't blow it, sport is cruel at times. Lady Luck plays a huge part in these games. I couldn't fault any mayo player today. It was really neck and neck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

blanch152 wrote: »
    Will be heading out later thanks, just watching a recording of the game now.

It is tough for Mayo fans, but we had years and years of it between 1995 and 2011 where we had many fan favourites who just weren't good enough to close out the deal. Keep the faith and maybe next year or the year after.
    16 whole years? Wow. My heart bleeds for you. Try 66 years, and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Back in the hotel in maynooth
    Last night they had up for the match with no sound only subtitles and the place thronged with us wanting to watch it property
    Tonight they have the Sunday game blaring at the wake :(
    I've turned my back on it but can still hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Firstly, I am a Dub, well north county. Dubs at work call me a bogger.

Moran was tired and off balance in fairness to him. O'Shea was a bit wild with his kick and I think he should have been moved to edge of square.
    To me the biggest mistake was taking off Kevin McLoughlin. To me he is close to footballer of the year. His use of the ball is brilliant but Mayo starved him for long periods of the game.
    Rochford clearly thought so last year when he decided to make the change for the replay.

The problem with Clarkes kickouts is they are too floaty and of the hospital pass variety and so are ripe for picking off by the opposition.

He really should be pinging them with his instep rather than sidefooting them like he does.
    Agree re the kickouts. His kickouts hang a little any swirling breeze causes him or any keeper like him problems.
    AOS should of had a black card at the throw in after half time. Probably the most obvious of all the mistakes the ref made today.

Technically yes, would have been very harsh. But McQuillen tried to let it go as much as possible. Then lads act the bo***x as players did from both sides. Bernard Flynn on the radio nearly had an orgasm describing the Mayo players intensity and aggression in the first half. To me they were slightly over aggressive and I wonder does this effect how they play or their decision making?

To be fair to both sets of players they went at it 100% from the off. It was a great spectacle. The physical challenges were hard but I dont think any of them were bad. We can argue this and that about a lot of decisions. Vaughan was clumsey. He didnt actually strike him (Small) but more like throwing him to the ground. A black card yes. Straight red? Id be peeved it was a Dublin player. I dont think it right to blame Vaughan for Mayo's loss and I am no fan of his. Teams with 14 players often respond better as we have seen in the past. O'Gara had his hand in Higgins face more keeping him down but not in the "nasty" category. (I actually think it was a mistake by Gavin to start him)

With 6/7 minutes to go I thought that was it. Mayo went 2 points up and looked very good. When needed O'Connor came good and Mayo looked fairly fluid for a team with a lot of games this year. I felt beforehand Rochford had got it right in terms of preparation. He got game time to a good few lads during the year so the panel were stronger than last year. They were better equipped.

I was baffled by some Mayo subs. I thought Seamie was doing very well and the team wasnt strengthened by his replacement. Unsure of the Mayo tactics but Kevin McLoughlin was starved of possession (as was Doherty) for long periods. He is the one Mayo player Dublin cant handle. He is as good as Brian Dooher was for Tyrone. To much ball went through O'Shea instead of McLoughlin. His use of the ball is top class and his energy is unbelievable. To me that was losing of the game taking him off.

Hats off to the great support lots of banter at a club match I was at this morning Seeing mentors in Mayo colours on the sideline. Thats whats it is about at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

As a proud Galwayman my heart goes out to ye all, players, management, n most importantly supporters.
    Ye are a credit n while ye are undoubtedly feeling down now, your time will come of that there's no doubt. Hang in there, ye have so much to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Great game of football and shows how special the gaa is and how far ahead of soccer, mayo should have taken Aidan o shea off with 10 minutes to go as he was out on his feet and fresh legs would have helped more, it seems that AOS has too much say in things against the good of the team and more about his image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Great game of football and shows how special the gaa is and how far ahead of soccer, mayo should have taken Aidan o shea off with 10 minutes to go as he was out on his feet and fresh legs would have helped more, it seems that AOS has too much say in things against the good of the team and more about his image.

Was wondering how long it would take for a genius to somehow lay the blame at AOS - patethic. Sheep indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

danganabu wrote: »
    All the lazy begrudgers have been silenced by AOS in the last few months so now the attention turns to Cillian O'Connor :rolleyes:

23pts in 3 all Irelands for the record and two of those were the ultimate clutch scores from play.

And after today you can see why AOS is criticized, was poor to average yet again in a big game. Virtually anonymous in the second half and blessed not to be black-carded at the throw in. It was a stone-wall black card. Still to score in an A.I. final, amazing. His lazy/wild effort for glory summed him up. Mayo were on a high after the goal and he should have laid off a pass inside to those who can score. It was also his 'hospital pass' that got Boyle creased leading to Vaughan's red card. Boyle had to be replaced shortly after, couldn't recover.

As for Cillian, he's a certain All-Star for me. An amazing scoring tally this year.
    That free was very,very difficult and he almost nailed it. It was cruel luck.
    Was a far more difficult one than Rock's winner.

Vaughan still on the pitch, i think we would have Sam tonight. Absolutely nuts thing to do.

washman3 wrote: »
    And after today you can see why AOS is criticized, was poor to average yet again in a big game. Virtually anonymous in the second half and blessed not to be black-carded at the throw in. It was a stone-wall black card. Still to score in an A.I. final, amazing. His lazy/wild effort for glory summed him up. Mayo were on a high after the goal and he should have laid off a pass inside to those who can score. It was also his 'hospital pass' that got Boyle creased leading to Vaughan's red card. Boyle had to be replaced shortly after, couldn't recover.

I'm sorry but you either have a clear bias against the guy, you were drunk watching the game or you haven't a clue about football. AOS had an excellent game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

When Cillian got the free at the end, did one of the Dublin players spit at McQuillan or was that just the camera angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I must commend Mayo on a gallant effort today. I think you have improved considerably as a team this year but unfortunately so have Dublin. Other than Diarmuid O Connor the other subs had a minimal impact, while taking off guys who were or had been playing out of their skins weakened the overall performance. Tiredness must be the reason for their dropping off the Dublin kick outs in the second half. Coupled with one or two concessions on long kick outs by mayo keeper. Players on both sides were dropping like flies with cramp at the end from incredible frantic pace. Cillian at full-forward came into it better in the second half but I feel his contribution in the day was poor especially in first half when mayo needed to latch on a few more scores. Harrison was immense as was the mid field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

When Cillian got the free at the end, did one of the Dublin players spit at McQuillan or was that just the camera angle?

Thought that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I'm sorry but you either have a clear bias against the guy, you were drunk watching the game or you haven't a clue about football. AOS had an excellent game.

Stick to the hurling cos you know little or nothing about football.
    Football is a 70/75 min game, not 5 or 25, remember that.
    His moment of madness was on par with Vaughan's.
    At least Vaughan probably did not know Small was already on a yellow and may have thought yellows all round.
    There were at least 12 Mayo players better than AOS today.

That's ok, thanks for clearing that up. A bit of all three clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

Vaughan still on the pitch, i think we would have Sam tonight. Absolutely nuts thing to do.

He was unlucky to see red. Why he saw red when small got yellow is beyond me. Smalls was far more dangerous and warranted a straight red if Vaughan's did.

AOS was OK but too often took the pace out of the mayo attack. Always looking to seek contact and a solo or two. Mayo were destroying Dublin when they just went direct straight down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Thought it was the camera angle,he spat alright but don't think it was at Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Absolutely gutted and so disappointed. Can't believe another one has come and gone. 21 years supporting Mayo in All Ireland finals with the same disappointing outcome thus far. Most frustrating thing about today is that we really could have won (and won well) but Dublin's bench, experience, decision making and composure won out.

This group have given us amazing days. Not the ultimate day just yet but it's on the way.... I firmly believe that. We are closer than we have ever been before.

Onwards and upwards. Thanks for the memories thus far lads. Looking forward to the next step of the journey from a very grateful Mayo supporter.

Stick to the hurling cos you know little or nothing about football.
    Football is a 70/75 min game, not 5 or 25, remember that.
    His moment of madness was on par with Vaughan's.
    At least Vaughan probably did not know Small was already on a yellow and may have thought yellows all round.

Well well, would that be the same AOS who the panel just nominated for MOTM :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Well well, would that be the same AOS who the panel just nominated for MOTM :D

Thought O'Shea was good but I am not sure he was in the top 4 players on the pitch.

I think they should have moved him into no. 14 for a while just to vary things up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement