Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

There is absolutely no way that Vaughan deserved a red and small a yellow. Thats my issue. McQuillan bottled it.

If we're going "by the letter of the law" O'Gara should have had two blacks in the first ten minutes at least. Moran should have in the first half and that foul allowed Mayo a point. Two Dublin players should have got black cards after the last Rock free - all for playing the man.

McQuillan gets too many big calls wrong.
    The first goal should have been disallowed for overcarrying. Dublin player gained an unfair advantage by taking between 7 and 8 steps to get past the defender. This was a huge miss.

The two Dublin players colliding? This was beyond ridiculous. I'm not aware of any other incident it could have been for and it was in the same spot.
    [Lee Keegan got called for a free on Kilkenny when Kilkenny was pulling (not sure if it was Boyle). Now I can understand that he simply could not see Kilkenny pulling the jersey so its an understandable mistake but two dublin players colliding?] Sweet Jesus thats pathetic - absolutely pathetic.

Thats not to mention the fact that Eoghan O Gara should have got a straight red for attempting to gouge at the end of the first half - no need for his hands to be anyway near the eyes.

even I cant defend vaughans tackle.
    He had to go

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thats not to mention the fact that Eoghan O Gara should have got a straight red for attempting to gouge at the end of the first half - no need for his hands to be anyway near the eyes.

They were not in his eyes, it was under his nose.

You left out Keegan pushing Kilkenny to the deck at 6 minutes, should have been a free to Dublin.

While on a yellow he dragged him down again at 60 minutes

AOS black card incident at the restart, a lot worse than Cooper's last year.

The COC free at the end that was not a free he bought it, imagine if he gave that to Dublin, although I think he was looking for a draw here

The Dublin sideline ball that he gave to Mayo at the same time.
    Mayo men standing over rock taking frees throughout

Small and Vaughan both had to go.

There were plenty of incidents from both sides, but this pity Mayo were hard done by BS is getting annoying.

It was a fantastic game, it was extremely close but Dublin had that tiny little bit more for the last 10 minutes imo when lads like McCarthy stood up a Mayo man couldn't do the same. A great goal from a Keegan brought Mayo back into the game.
    It's small margins but it wasn't the refs fault. It can't always be the refs fault lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Vaughan's tackle was unacceptable. The ref was right to send him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »
    The Dublin sideline ball that he gave to Mayo at the same time.
    Mayo men standing over rock taking frees throughout

in fairness that was our oul pal Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gaaisbest

I think even if mayo had got the 72nd minute free dublin would have pushed on and still won.

• Advertisement

Vaughans red was the turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Maybe he was right to send him off but jeasus you cant blame Vaughan for losing the game. As I stated previously Im no fan of Vaughan he was rash and I as a Dub do think it was harsh. Black card yes.

I agree if Connolly done it we would be calling for Guillotine. But I still think it was harsh.

McQuillen tried to let things go as much as he could. The problem with that is lads start acting the B****X and that is what happened. He allowed time for Mayo to attack and unfortunately for COC he hit the post. I think if O'Connor nailed it the whistle would have gone. Replay

Finally get off Vaughans back, HE IS HUMAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,160 ✭✭✭✭km79

LeoB wrote: »
    Maybe he was right to send him off but jeasus you cant blame Vaughan for losing the game. As I stated previously Im no fan of Vaughan he was rash and I as a Dub do think it was harsh. Black card yes.

I agree if Connolly done it we would be calling for Guillotine. But I still think it was harsh.

McQuillen tried to let things go as much as he could. The problem with that is lads start acting the B****X and that is what happened. He allowed time for Mayo to attack and unfortunately for COC he hit the post. I think if O'Connor nailed it the whistle would have gone. Replay

Finally get off Vaughans back.

The game was level when COC hit the post and there was 6 mins injury time left after it ?

Finally get off Vaughans back.

Vaughans red was a turning point, im not on his back .As i said previously it was a heat of the moment thing, a great player doing something in a high pressure environment.
    I totally agree with you that it should only have been a black card.
    However whatever about the rights and wrongs had he not been sent off ,mayo had a free kick and an extra man for the remainder of the game,
    That's what I mean by turning point.

km79 wrote: »
    The game was level when COC hit the post and there was 6 mins injury time left after it ?

I think Mayo could have went on and won had it went over. My mistake.

• Advertisement

Gaaisbest wrote: »
    Vaughans red was a turning point, im not on his back .As i said previously it was a heat of the moment thing, a great player doing something in a high pressure environment.
    I totally agree with you that it should only have been a black card.
    However whatever about the rights and wrongs had he not been sent off ,mayo had a free kick and an extra man for the remainder of the game,
    That's what I mean by turning point.

Not aiming my comments at you specifically. Just think he getting unfair flack.

How often have we seen teams with 14 up the ante? I know Mayo are experienced enough to make it work...... but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

We will never know re Vaughan staying on the field.
    I hope he learns from it though and the rest of the Mayo players too.
    You can't lose the head at this level.
    There is no doubt we had Dublin on the rack and all it needed was a final turning of the screw. We lacked that critical bit of composure. Hopefully we have it next year. I'm looking forward to it already. This year is in the can and 2018 will be on us soon.
    The journey will start all over then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well the law says "Striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand, knee or head" is punishable by a red card and I don't see any way Vaughan's action can be said not to meet that standard. I know there is an informal code of refereeing whereby the law is not always fully applied but "evening things up" by sending two men off if at all justifiable is also part of that code...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Just re the GPS nonsense that people are screaming faux outrage at and throwing childish but damning abuse at him for it, how about these outraged poster's thoughts on Cormac Costello sneaking around and picking up ALL of Clarkes kicking tees and throwing them away from Mayo goal area after the Rock free (in fact I heard he cracked one also) so as to prevent him getting it out quick.

Its desperation, it's gamesmanship and at the end of the day I doubt both men give a flying f*ck about the moral judgements being thrown at them with so much at stake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Just re the GPS nonsense that people are screaming faux outrage at and throwing childish but damning abuse at him for it, how about these outraged poster's thoughts on Cormac Costello sneaking around and picking up ALL of Clarkes kicking tees and throwing them away from Mayo goal area after the Rock free (in fact I heard he cracked one also) so as to prevent him getting it out quick.

Absolutely pathetic and indefensible if true which it seems to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Aiden O' Shea while having a good enough game struggled to last the 80 minutes in the middle of the field (ok centre half forward )

Someone should put together the Combined best work of Eoin Liston and Kieran Donaghy for Aiden.

There would be two great reasons for this . Aiden could alternate between out field and full forward and perhaps not have to do quite as much running at full forward .

It would also give us another string to our Bow .

Aiden showed this year that he is willing to do what it takes for Mayo . Donaghy and Liston at their best gave teams something different . I have no doubt that Aiden can do it and its no harm to learn from two of the best .

Mayo Abu .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Who will retire? I reckon Andy will give it another year. Clarkey not sure.....he could play till he is forty in that position. Seamie may be mulling over it.

Hard to see Dillon committing and perhaps should have gotten a run on Sunday.

finisklin wrote: »
    Who will retire? I reckon Andy will give it another year. Clarkey not sure.....he could play till he is forty in that position. Seamie may be mulling over it.

Hard to see Dillon committing and perhaps should have gotten a run on Sunday.

Just Dillon hopefully
    They are so damn close it would be hard leave now and he is the only one who will imo
    Seen Big Bird being mentioned too but he surely won't

• Registered Users Posts: 21,378 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just Dillon hopefully
    They are so damn close it would be hard leave now and he is the only one who will imo
    Seen Big Bird being mentioned too but he surely won't

Big Bird wouldn't surprise me. He's had a few awful injuries now and that can ruin the best of careers, there comes a point where they all add up and you can never quite reach a high level again. Happens in most sports, and would certainly be the case in one that's more intense than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Absolutely pathetic and indefensible if true which it seems to be.
    Are you referring to both incidents Keegan and Costello?

• Advertisement

Yep km, excellent article. Hes right to highlight the donal vaughan incident. Its basically a double punishment: we lose the potential of 15 on 14 for the remainder of the game as well as losing a scorable free. A free which could have been so so important in the context of a one point game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

You guys are on about retirements but I heard that a few are thinking of taking a break with possible travel for a year. Totally devastated for them. It was a real hard effort with 100% commitment. I think the defeats are taking a toll on them but maybe a few months away might be the best option. You could not but be totally proud of them for the drive and commitment to winning.

After Sunday, I am not sure what we need to do to win.

Rochford really needs to leave these guys that are willing to go next year alone until well out in spring. He has to try new guys in the league even if it means relegation. He is working on the here and now but he now needs to think of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can't see too many walking away. Dillon with age and Barry Moran with commitments would be the most likely imo. It will be toughest on the likes of Seamie and Tom with their travel etc but I can't see them going anywhere just yet.

I hope they stick together, I'm sure they will. We need to see a few of the younger lads step up over the Winter / League.

Coen & Loftus need to push on and make a real claim for the starting team come next Summer. Coen is pretty much there, Loftus needs a bit of work. Diarmuid could probably do with being allowed a few months off. It'll be interesting to see if Boland can carve out a role, at present, you can't really see it but who knows. There are a few more outside of that but it's a bit of a lottery to call if they'll make it.

Despite the extra year on the clock, we're in a better place going into next year than we were this time last year imo.
    We're not getting used to any system. We just know how we play.
    We "discovered" a couple of forwards in Doherty and Loftus.
    We've added to our game in many areas.
    Key will be to keep a little momentum through the league and get a few more young lads
    starting.
    A strong bench might be the final piece of the puzzle, one with the likes of Andy, Boyle, Vaughan, Higgins, Seamie & ANother decent forward would be my goal.
    We've 3 to come in from the last day... Diarmuid, Coen, Loftus and I've no doubt they can step up / in. We're need a big League from 3 or 4 others.

Didn't take as long as expected to start looking ahead. Time to go back to the Clubs.

PARlance wrote: »
    Can't see too many walking away. Dillon with age and Barry Moran with commitments would be the most likely imo. It will be toughest on the likes of Seamie and Tom with their travel etc but I can't see them going anywhere just yet.

I hope they stick together, I'm sure they will. We need to see a few of the younger lads step up over the Winter / League.

Coen & Loftus need to push on and make a real claim for the starting team come next Summer. Coen is pretty much there, Loftus needs a bit of work. Diarmuid could probably do with being allowed a few months off. It'll be interesting to see if Boland can carve out a role, at present, you can't really see it but who knows. There are a few more outside of that but it's a bit of a lottery to call if they'll make it.

Despite the extra year on the clock, we're in a better place going into next year than we were this time last year imo.
    We're not getting used to any system. We just know how we play.
    We "discovered" a couple of forwards in Doherty and Loftus.
    We've added to our game in many areas.
    Key will be to keep a little momentum through the league and get a few more young lads
    starting.
    A strong bench might be the final piece of the puzzle, one with the likes of Andy, Boyle, Vaughan, Higgins, Seamie & ANother decent forward would be my goal.
    We've 3 to come in from the last day... Diarmuid, Coen, Loftus and I've no doubt they can step up / in. We're need a big League from 3 or 4 others.

Didn't take as long as expected to start looking ahead. Time to go back to the Clubs.

The FBD and some of the league needs to be mostly new and U21 players, with a few seniors thrown in for guidance. Very few new players in the past 5 years on the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Its desperation, it's gamesmanship and at the end of the day I doubt both men give a flying f*ck about the moral judgements being thrown at them with so much at stake

Very true.
    Keegan was very wrong, no doubt about it - ok, a kick to win an all Ireland right in front of you, there is desperation there, but he was 100% wrong.

However the Costello thing, I believe, is a concern for the game moving forward. He was very clearly sent on with instructions from the management to carry out unsporting acts. Like he isn't that kind of player. Yet he was intent on wrestling guys, starting a fight, stealing and even smashing kickout tees. He wasn't sent on the field to play football, and that is a dangerous precedent to be setting.

Barrett was comfortably the motm, but they were hardly going over to the mayo hotel to give it to him so fair enough.
    POTY Moran

As for talk of retirements - two doing the rounds are Moran and Higgins - two guys who are in the shakeup for poty... Nuff said...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Where is that fecking ignore button.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You guys are on about retirements but I heard that a few are thinking of taking a break with possible travel for a year. Totally devastated for them. It was a real hard effort with 100% commitment. I think the defeats are taking a toll on them but maybe a few months away might be the best option. You could not but be totally proud of them for the drive and commitment to winning.

After Sunday, I am not sure what we need to do to win.

Rochford really needs to leave these guys that are willing to go next year alone until well out in spring. He has to try new guys in the league even if it means relegation. He is working on the here and now but he now needs to think of the future.

I would agree with making sure players get a rest. I would want a B team played for all of the FBD if I had my way, not a sight of anyone that played the last day. But the league is very valuable imo. You need to blood a few hopefuls but they need to be playing with and against quality players to get a sense of what they're really like.

Rochford has blooded young players into team / squad. I think he's doing a fine job in that sense. A lot are on the fringes and some haven't cut the mustard but if they're out there, they'll be given a chance imo. We could do with 10 or 20 more being "out there" but I don't think there's too many players in the County that have been overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I actually think that mcquillan wouldn't have sent off Small at all but for the Vaughan reaction. But fair enough it was a kickable free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Why hold back sympathy from the supporters? I don't understand that mentality.

No offence but why would anyone feel sorry for supporters? Of any county? I love supporting my county, love the craic,the camraderie, the looing forward to an away trip etc. We are not toining in the muck and frost of January/February and having no social life...the opposite in fact. By Friday supporters will have moved on to the club champonship etc and will start dreaming again. Coming from Roscommon I have a natural antipathy towards Mayo fans for many reasons. I am sure many in Mayo feel the same way. I feel sorry for a brillant buch of players for not winning but not one ounce of sympathy for their fans. They are having the time of their lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement