Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Quite an impressive ring around the moon this evening as viewed in the west. Bit of a cool bite to that freshening breeze also.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Left Trim @ 8.15 am this morning. Car completely free of frost & outside temperature guage showing 4 degrees. 20 minutes later, arrived in Navan, temperature 1 degree & the place white-outed with frost. Bizzarre.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

***Not safe for tabloid journalists***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Dew points starting to fall fast. Only a matter of time before we see snow showers forming over the next 12 hrs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dew points starting to fall fast. Only a matter of time before we see snow showers forming over the next 12 hrs

showers are already falling as sleet in places, particularly in the North-West and over high ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wind and rain just arrived in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Gonzo wrote: »
    showers are already falling as sleet in places, particularly in the North-West and over high ground.

Unfortunately nothing here in nw Donegal yet other than rain. I’m sandwiched between the mountains and the sea. Looking forward to seeing the scenery in the morning. Fingers crossed for a dusting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tomorrow or Tuesday still sees the potential for a near record or possibly even record breaker (for the time of year) AO value:

6IfNZPB.png

Looks like it will come in around 6.0 or a little over. We'll see.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well that was a mad day weather wise. Haven't seen the likes of it in years.

It was actually worse here in Dublin today then during any other recent storms including Ophelia.

Thankfully it was a Sunday so a lot of people could stay at home.

I hope it's not followed by snow cant stand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Unfortunately nothing here in nw Donegal yet other than rain. I’m sandwiched between the mountains and the sea. Looking forward to seeing the scenery in the morning. Fingers crossed for a dusting!

Just high wind and water out here too, west mayo offshore, so joining you in your hopes!

appledrop wrote: »
    Well that was a mad day weather wise. Haven't seen the likes of it in years.

It was actually worst here in Dublin today then during any other recent storms including Ophelia.

Thankfully it was a Sunday so a lot of people could stay at home.

I hope it's not followed by snow cant stand it.

I think you got what we got on Saturday. It was easier out here y'day than then

Stay warm and worry not

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I only come here as i love the snow (for the kids :cool:) just read on Netweather?? They've chucked the towel in,winter is over officially now,nothing on the horizon,bit early to throw the towel in is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, the prospects aren't great if you live where the majority of those posters do, but for us, and those in the north of England and Scotland, we could see conditions similar today and tomorrow over the next month or so. However, if you're after a prolonged freeze from from the east or north east , which is what most of the posters over on Netweather are after, then, you may well view this "winter as over"

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Well, the prospects aren't great if you live where the majority of those posters do, but for us, and those in the north of England and Scotland, we could see conditions similar today and tomorrow over the next month or so. However, if you're after a prolonged freeze from from the east or north east , which is what most of the posters over on Netweather are after, then, you may well view this "winter as over"
    350.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just saw a picture of lough derg in Tipperary - covered in snow, so pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There was a light sleet shower in Dublin 9 an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Possibly a bit specific, but not deserving of it's own thread.

A few years ago I signed up to a free website run by a Scottish (?) university. It allowed a user to download the latest visible/IR satellite pictures in hi-res of Ireland.

Would anyone have the name of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sleeting in waterford city now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Heavy snow in Rush, NCD the last 10 minutes...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Snow is absolutely bating down in Swords. It was raining first so no chance of it sticking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Snow is absolutely bating down in Swords. It was raining first so no chance of it sticking.

I thought the same but it started sticking after 10 minutes, snow getting ligher now, slight covering which will vanish fairly quickly once the shower passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just started in leopardstown d18 now, first few flakes

slight covering already nearly melted, very quick thaw once the showers are over.

Lovely big flakes of snow been driven around by the very gusty wind right now.

• Advertisement

I wonder is there any snow settling up at Knock Airport now.

Dinner plate snowflakes at around 2 in Dublin 9, the first snow of the season. I was expecting it to be windy but the wind is very light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

NOAA have today's AO value at +6.34, a possible record breaker for February, but would need to be confirmed when they release their final figures next month.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I wonder is there any snow settling up at Knock Airport now.

Looked devoid of snow up there when I passed by about half an hour ago. There has been some very heavy hail showers in the meantime however rattling through this part of Mayo.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Looked devoid of snow up there when I passed by about half an hour ago. There has been some very heavy hail showers in the meantime however rattling through this part of Mayo.

Some quite shocking hail-laden gusts out here very recently. Something loose on my roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭glwaymiko

Hail showers in a very gusty wind, east Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Heavy blustery snow shower in Greystones.

Some sort of precipitation in Dublin 5, hard to tell what it is because of how light it is!

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Some sort of precipitation in Dublin 5, hard to tell what it is because of how light it is!

There's very dark clouds incoming, hopefully a precursor to heavy snow.

Edit: Starting to snow now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Got up looked out window + said grand no snow.

Except now its pelting down + sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

No snow or frost in Naas this morning, saw other cars on the train station covered in snow.

Pulling into Connolly Station now and it's snowing lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Light snow Dublin 20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No snow or Frost in cork city this morning either, woke up to another sleet shower

Edit: just as a post it starts snowing. Tiny little flakes and not sticking at all but better then rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Slight dusting of snow on the cars and grass in Naas. Starting to again now

It is brutal out here just now. A sudden long squall and hailstone storm. I got a brief glimpse of the ocean and never seen it so ….. rough. Could not get round the building for the wind. Hibernating a while! Would love a photo of the ocean like that but too wild to get near enough
    just now.
    There is a smattering of snow atop the far mountains.. All we usually get!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

A biting wind here in Cork with a jet black sky to the east. Will be glad to get into the warmth of the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy snow in Naas now. Place is covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It was snowing at Grand Canal Dock when I got off the train.

Best walk to work this year. Got in soaked but happy. If only I had hot Chocolate to round it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sleetly snow in Waterford, not what I was expecting. Generally overcast with it.

Heavy snow in Dublin 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm Dennis has been named by UK Met Office for the coming weekend's low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »

Is it going to be a menace?;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Some heavy snow showers in my area this morning. Sticking in a few shady places but generally melting as soon as the sun comes out again.

sryanbruen wrote: »

Not having a go at you sryanbruen but just have to get this off my chest....................Storm This, Storm That, Storm The Other............its called Winter ....and February and March can be the most bitter of Winter months (I know technically March is Spring).

All these weather warnings cause a lot of people stress and anxiety. It used to be just called Winter and we expected storms, floods, snow and ice. It wasnt a national emergency with colour coded warnings week after week. I know its been said before but surely this is overkill.

I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and last weekend I didnt go out as the forecast for Sunday on the East Coast was horrendous. Lots of my buddies went out and had an absolutely beautiful day, I saw the photos and it was cold but lovely and only the occasional shower. This has happened so often, I change my plans according to these warnings. I'm really beginning to think its better to ignore them and just get on with life as I used to before these personalised Storms and colour coded weather alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I did feel Saturday (and Monday to some degree too) was far worse than what Sunday; the arrival of Storm Ciara, brought but then again, I was asleep during the intense rain that passed.

Right now to me, Dennis doesn't look like anything special.

Advertisement