Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Mild and wet is utterly fantastic? Each to their own.....

Mild, wet I dislike but it beats snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Logan Roy wrote: »
    In that case it will be permanently damp, nothing dries out this time of year without a dry spell. No thanks. This week gone has been great, cloudy but not cold and most importantly very dry.

I agree a great week just past. A few more hours daylight and we’re sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/weather-meteireann-dublin-forecast-warning-17496473.amp

*Sigh* gotta love clickbait titles.

In other news, lovely evening in West cork. Sun is out and blue sky, chilly though in the breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/weather-meteireann-dublin-forecast-warning-17496473.amp

*Sigh* gotta love clickbait titles.

In other news, lovely evening in West cork. Sun is out and blue sky, chilly though in the breeze.

:pac::pac::pac:

That is an absolutely pathetic article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

But an utterly fantastic prediction for those of us who had enough snow in 2010 to last a lifetime, bring on mild😀

Too many snowflakes living in this country as it is. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The people who are are enjoying the current mild and mainly overcast weather, will likely be complaining if we have a cold end to Winter leading into spring. If this pattern continues for the next six week or so, i think a cold and wintry end to the season is quite likely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The people who are are enjoying the current mild and mainly overcast weather, will likely be complaining if we have a cold end to Winter leading into spring. If this pattern continues for the next six week or so, i think a cold and wintry end to the season is quite likely.

all the signals remain extremely poor for the next two to three weeks for any cold weather. They couldn't be worse than they are right now. By February we will probably start to see signals leading to some sort of cold shot, which may not affect us till March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yes we will. But having mild weather now doesent mean cold weather automatically follows in the spring. Most people are glad of the break from the rain it’s mild enough to get out and about and it makes commuting a lot easier. We don’t have seasons anymore in Ireland it’s what makes it such a crap climate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great weather for strolling along the coast here in Kerry today after the dullness yesterday. Got up to 12.1C and cooling down now to 8.0C. Calm.

IdE4SHh.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely sunset this evening here in Kerry.

Look like Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds just now lit up by the setting sun.

HLxbxi8.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Anyone got eyes on the mountains? Is there snow on Lug, Carruantoohill, Mweelrea, Galtees, Errigal, Croagh Patrick etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Anyone got eyes on the mountains? Is there snow on Lug, Carruantoohill, Mweelrea, Galtees, Errigal, Croagh Patrick etc?

No snow on Croagh Patrick or Nephin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

At 10 to 14c in the last week, highly unlikely!
    It would have been well above freezing average temp on the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another lovely winters day. A bit colder but still no wind + lovely + dry.

Coast walk Malahide/Portmanock very busy. Great to see everyone able to get out + enjoy the day.

Fresh air blows away NYE celebrations cobwebs!

Wind starting to pick up now here on the west cork coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Camelia will have one bud in flower in a couple of days, very early for it.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    At 10 to 14c in the last week, highly unlikely!
    It would have been well above freezing average temp on the mountains

Yeah I thought that might happen even though previous snowfalls can be quite resilient above 700m. Pity, I do love snowy treks over Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Wind starting to pick up now here on the west cork coast.

Gone quite windy now in Arklow, gusting to 53kmh SSW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

No real storms showing up yet on recent charts...looks like weather starting to liven up though next week onwards...

• Advertisement

Rotten day in cork city. Drove home from West cork this morning where it was v windy and wet (right across from the beach) and now in the city it's a lot less windy but still very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the rain had to come at some stage. Cant complain we got out everyday during Christmas hols which was brilliant.

It's a good day for people going back to work!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible wet day in Meath, typical Atlantic mild winter muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible wet day in Meath, typical Atlantic mild winter muck.

Horrible wet day in Cork too earlier today although it has now dried up here. Plenty more of the same to come over the next few weeks if the charts verify.

And plenty more of the same to come over the next few weeks if the charts verify.

I'm giving the charts a break for at least another week to 10 days as they've been showing the same never ending Atlantic driven pattern for the past fortnight. Hopefully by the 3rd week of January we may start to see an improvement in FI for a start. Unfortunately the current pattern is the sort of pattern that could drift on for months.

Interesting Mace Head had much less rainfall in December than in previous Decembers (95mm versus 160mm in previous 2 years).
    The mean for Mace Head is 146mm. I did think Galway was much drier than in previous years.

Dunsany finished with 952.6mm of rain for 2019, well over half of that amount fell between August and the start of December. This makes 2019 the wettest year in years. December finished with 66.3 mm of rain, the driest month since July. If December had continued with the deluges we would have exceeded the 1000mm mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Good riddance to 2019 from an interesting weather point of view, one of the most featureless years I can remember. No cold or warm weather of any note, no extended dry or sunny spells, no real storms, almost total lack of thunder and lightning, no heavy rain events, no active fronts/showers etc - almost seasonless with the only change from summer to winter being a barely noticeable temperature drop of a few degrees.

As for 2020, a dark, grey, wet day in Donegal today :)

Good riddance to 2019 from an interesting weather point of view, one of the most featureless years I can remember. No cold or warm weather of any note, no extended dry or sunny spells, no real storms, almost total lack of thunder and lightning, no heavy rain events, no active fronts/showers etc - almost seasonless with the only change from summer to winter being a barely noticeable temperature drop of a few degrees.

As for 2020, a dark, grey, wet day in Donegal today :)

I'd agree with most of the above except for the no heavy rain events. We had some exceptionally wet rain events especially late September and October, several in November and a few in early December.

Everything else is spot on tho. We failed to get a winter in January and February 2019. The Spring was mostly cold and quite wet at times. Plenty of Cold rain and raw wind. Heating was on full time throughout the Spring and into early Summer, except for a few warm days around Easter.

Summer was disappointing, considering how good everywhere else got it including mainland UK. June was very cold right up to the third week, it felt more like mid March with temperatures struggling to get past 10C on several days with heavy rain and cold showers.

July was the only half decent month of the entire year imo with a good deal of dry and sunny weather but temperatures never really got above 23C in many places.

August was very wet for Ireland while the rest of Europe including many parts of mainland UK had a fairly hot and mostly dry month. Little did we know the deluges in August was a sign of things to come for the rest of the year.

First half of September was decent, it was fairly dry and mild with a few warm days. From September 20th to first half of December was incredibly wet. Day after day of downpours, rain events, heavy showers and more rain. December finished dryer into the second half but exceptionally mild and bland.

2019 is without a doubt my least favourite year for weather that I can remember with nothing remotely interesting happening all year. We failed to get a winter in 2019, Spring was more like winter and summer was on the poor side of average. Autumn was a horrible deluge and Winter so far has been featureless and mostly mild.

January looks like carrying over what we had in 2019. Let's hope 2020 will provide us with something a bit more interesting and more seasonal than 2019. It wouldn't take much to improve on 2019. Perhaps a cold week in February, some snow in March and a few weeks of warm to hot conditions in the summer would do nicely. Hopefully June will feel more like early summer this year. I do not want to see a repeat of Autumn 2019 for a long time to come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Great summary Gonzo.

Advertisement