Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

another ticket question haha how long do they take to arrive in the post? say if i buy them tonight will they get here by friday?

Actually on a related matter if I just gave them the ticket on my phone I presume it would scan away? Works for everything else...dunno why im so sceptical about it at a match...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hannon is fit for Limerick and they had 36 fit players in training tonight. Apparently Hannon and a few of the Limeick squad had a stomach bug last weekend

Nerves for Sunday are hitting me already lol. This is truly a do or die match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Actually on a related matter if I just gave them the ticket on my phone I presume it would scan away? Works for everything else...dunno why im so sceptical about it at a match...
    I was sceptical too and went armed with a paper copy on Sunday, but the bar code on the screen scanned just fine. I'll dispense with the paper this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Presume team will be something like this
    SOK
    CG
    SF
    NC
    PM
    AG
    BRICK
    JB
    KM
    PM
    PC
    DJF
    MK
    TD
    SB

if this attacking style will be our playing stylee going forward (hopefully it will) being in 1B in the league next year will deff help us develop it either with Derek or a new managment team

Not expecting many more travelling Sunday, i knw a few people who didnt miss a game last year not travellong this year cause of the distance and weekly games. Im sick of seeing that Limerick road (Drive in supermacs everywhere lol) but i paid for my season ticket and want to get the use of it.

Looking forward to sunday but nervous enough this is a very good Limerick team. A lot of the players sunday have grown up playing against each other and hoping for an unreal game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

knw a few people who didnt miss a game last year not travellong this year cause of the distance and weekly games.

This is my experience too. It's not just the number of games either.. it's the frequency... when you've a couple of games in 4-5 weeks you can shuffle stuff around to make sure you get to all the games.. but this year.. you have to put so much on hold for so long that it's really not feasible. I think if you can make 2-3 games you're doing well. The real heroes will make all the games and must be commended for it, but lets not start looking down on people who skip a game or two either. ( not accusing anyone here btw )

Aussie in trouble about the helmet pull ive heard

Tickets just arrived on my season ticket account. Same section as last week Block 118 North Stand

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

Ticket just popped into my season ticket account - 219 for Sunday.
    Not sure why but no sign of my girlfriends ticket on her season ticket account. Anyone else having an issues with it?

Bluezar wrote: »
    Ticket just popped into my season ticket account - 219 for Sunday.
    Not sure why but no sign of my girlfriends ticket on her season ticket account. Anyone else having an issues with it?

I'd say with the back holiday there prob behind on stuff

If it's not in by Friday contact them

Money came off card straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd say with the back holiday there prob behind on stuff

If it's not in by Friday contact them

Money came off card straight away

Just had an e-mail there - my girlfriends card bounced as she has changed it this week due to losing her other one. Rectified now and second ticket should be in the account tomorrow lunchtime.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

Just got mine section 218 again😊

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Just got a chance to watch the match back and noticed a few things.
    Our half forward line are going in and out of games and are inconsistent in winning ball and we really struggle when we can’t win primary ball like from the 15-25th minute when Tipp outscored us significantly, it took Padraic Mahonys goal and switching Kearney in and Bennett out for us to get back into it. It was the same in the 2nd half as the Tipp halfback line really came on top. Perhaps it was tiredness after the huge effort out in previously.
    I also didn’t realise how many wides Tipp had, particularly Jason Forde in the 1st half but we had a few in the 2nd half including 3 from Gleeson that we lived to regret.
    I worry if Fives is to pick up Flanagan at the weekend. When high ball went in on Conlan, he really struggled and I noticed any high ball that went in on top of Callinan and Fives, Callinan tended to win but Fives did do well when it was lower ball. Our match ups have to be right, perhaps Connors on Mulcahy who has been very good. Conor Gleeson on Flanagan and Fives on whoever comes in for Gillane.
    Curran was much more effective than I realized when at the match , really gave Cahill and then O’Brien a tough time of it. He also did very well when he came out to the half forward line but he did tire as we started to struggle. Great to see Curran playing well as we all know his huge potential after his performances at minor and under 21 and with his club.
    Also, no way was Brendan Maher motm.
    Our defense came under serious pressure and lost its discipline when we couldn’t win primary ball which led to a lot of frees being given away which kept Tipp in the game.
    A very good performance but certainly room for improvement. We would never fear limerick and I feel the same now. I know limerick will have a huge crowd behind them but I’m now looking forward to Sunday having been dreading last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

IanVW wrote: »
    Just got mine section 218 again😊

Same section for me as last week too, 219. Happy days. We should have a big Waterford gaa board season ticket meet up.

D fives and Maurice trained tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I've to work on Sunday, is the game on the telly? Are Sky or RTE showing delayed coverage anywhere so I can watch it back later? Hopefully i don't get sacked or accidentally kill anyone while listening to it on the radio...

Ropaire wrote: »
    I've to work on Sunday, is the game on the telly? Are Sky or RTE showing delayed coverage anywhere so I can watch it back later? Hopefully i don't get sacked or accidentally kill anyone while listening to it on the radio...

Not on telly
    No delayed coverage
    Highlights on Sunday game
    Wlr covering it live.
    Go on the duck from work and head to limerick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Deiselurker

The game is not on tv. I think it will be just highlights on Sunday game that night. Hopefully a good Waterford crowd will travel. I'm looking forward to going to it it as wasn't at last 2 games and this is one not to be missed. If we lose Sunday we are more or less out so the Cork game in Thurles could be a meaningless game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The game is not on tv. I think it will be just highlights on Sunday game that night. Hopefully a good Waterford crowd will travel. I'm looking forward to going to it it as wasn't at last 2 games and this is one not to be missed. If we lose Sunday we are more or less out so the Cork game in Thurles could be a meaningless game.

If we lose Sunday we are definitely out unless Tipp and Clare draw.

If we lose Sunday we are definitely out unless Tipp and Clare draw.

in that case if we beat Cork and Limerick beat Clare than its scoring difference that will decide 3rd spot (Tipp, Clare and Waterford) with Cork and Limerick in the Munster final. Think its the same if we beat Limerick and lose to Cork with Tipp/Clare drawing and Limerick beating Clare

Im dreading the Waterford crowd that will travel for the Cork game if we lose to Limerick. Pride is all we have to play for and to end the year and possibly Dereks reign on a high beating Cork and messing up there season. The championship in Thurles is one of the best days of the year. Whats even more annoying is if we beat Tipp last week than it could of been a winner takes all between us and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

in that case if we beat Cork and Limerick beat Clare than its scoring difference that will decide 3rd spot (Tipp, Clare and Waterford) with Cork and Limerick in the Munster final. Think its the same if we beat Limerick and lose to Cork with Tipp/Clare drawing and Limerick beating Clare

Im dreading the Waterford crowd that will travel for the Cork game if we lose to Limerick. Pride is all we have to play for and to end the year and possibly Dereks reign on a high beating Cork and messing up there season. The championship in Thurles is one of the best days of the year. Whats even more annoying is if we beat Tipp last week than it could of been a winner takes all between us and Cork

Just beat both of them problem solved;)

• Advertisement

IanVW wrote: »
    Just beat both of them problem solved;)

yeah pretty straight forward, derek even siad it on his post match interview sunday

Cork have a rest this weekend and were playing 3/4 weeks in a row the next 2 games

no team in the Liam Mccarthy has won playing the 3rd week in a row yet this year

Wexford/Kilkenny both lost too Galway
    Offaly lost to Wexford
    Tipp drew with us

this weekend Wexford and Tipp out 4 weeks in a row, ourselfs and Galway out 3 in a row, Limerick out 2 in a row (with an extra day rest)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whitenblue93

Excitement and nerves really starting to build , roll on Sunday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Anyone else think that we completely played into Tipp's hands down the home stretch on Sunday. Bombed ball down on their half back line which they mopped up and put us under massive pressure. Really lifted their fans at the same time. Puck out's during that phase were poor. Thought Gleeson had some poor wides which killed our momentum at this key stage in the game also and was guilty of giving away some frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Aussie in trouble about the helmet pull ive heard

Tickets just arrived on my season ticket account. Same section as last week Block 118 North Stand

Can the CCCC suspend him even though the ref missed it? It should have been a straight forward red card shown to Gleeson on Sunday.

https://extra.ie/2018/06/05/sport/gaa/austin-gleeson-bonner-maher

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Take no prisoners

a previous poster mentioned how we don't fear Limerick. Maybe not like kk or Tipp (over last ten years) but any team that can put 28 over the bar in PUC when down a man for roughly 50 mins deserves huge respect. The last time we got cocky playing Limerick they gave us one of our most gutting defeats in the 07 semi. They'll also have a huge following - I reckon 25k vs 5k from us. I actually can't go this Sunday. First championship game I'll miss since 09. As a previous poster said, the incessancy of these games makes it difficult for people with young families. You're effectively writing off half your weekend with them for four weeks in a row which is a hard sell to the wife and to the kids who now ask "But why are you only staying for breakfast".

Hopefully the lads pull it off on Sunday and we get a bit more fair play from the officials. Up the Déise.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not on telly
    No delayed coverage
    Highlights on Sunday game
    Wlr covering it live.
    Go on the duck from work and head to limerick ;)

Was afraid that was the case, will try and get someone to cover for me or just bail and go watch it.

Anyone else think that we completely played into Tipp's hands down the home stretch on Sunday. Bombed ball down on their half back line which they mopped up and put us under massive pressure. Really lifted their fans at the same time. Puck out's during that phase were poor. Thought Gleeson had some poor wides which killed our momentum at this key stage in the game also and was guilty of giving away some frees.

We've been doing that for years now, bombing blind ball downfield with no one competing for it that just puts us under pressure again when it comes straight back in on us. As the game wore on we reverted to this more and more, we could have switched our matchups to try and get back on top there but ideally fresh legs were needed. We don't have many fresh legs at the minute unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Was afraid that was the case, will try and get someone to cover for me or just bail and go watch it.

We've been doing that for years now, bombing blind ball downfield with no one competing for it that just puts us under pressure again when it comes straight back in on us. As the game wore on we reverted to this more and more, we could have switched our matchups to try and get back on top there but ideally fresh legs were needed. We don't have many fresh legs at the minute unfortunately

Fresh legs were introduced. Tommy Ryan, Jake Dillon and O’Halloran were brought into the forwards. The problem was the type of ball that was going in was aimless high ball. The type that Tipp love - the type that killed us in the 2015 Munster Final against Tipp.

What was needed on Sunday was low fast ball down the wings for O’Halloran and Tommy Ryan to run on to. Instead, ball after ball went into the clouds giving them little chance of competing. If the forwards had gotten low ball we’d have won the match comfortably. The fact there was no gameplan switch with 10 mins to go worries me. The line reacted too late/not at all when it was clear for all to see that we were getting cleaned in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Fresh legs were introduced. Tommy Ryan, Jake Dillon and O’Halloran were brought into the forwards. The problem was the type of ball that was going in was aimless high ball. The type that Tipp love - the type that killed us in the 2015 Munster Final against Tipp.

What was needed on Sunday was low fast ball down the wings for O’Halloran and Tommy Ryan to run on to. Instead, ball after ball went into the clouds giving them little chance of competing. If the forwards had gotten low ball we’d have won the match comfortably. The fact there was no gameplan switch with 10 mins to go worries me. The line reacted too late/not at all when it was clear for all to see that we were getting cleaned in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

We did the same against Cork in the league on our first day out.
    We had the extra man and our half backs kept raining the ball down on top of a dominant Cork half back line.
    It's the main reason Cork were still so competitive to the end.

We also did it against Kilkenny a couple of years ago when we were ahead and ended up drawing. KK went on to dominate extra time, iirc.
    When we have a lead we tend to reatreat back to defend it with aimless long balls to ease the pressure. I'm not sure if it is by design - it certainly doesn't look like it is. It's our reaction to the inevitable increase in pressure from a last ditch effort by the losing opposition.

We need to figure out a gameplan for this scenario and develop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Thought Darragh Fives tore a muscle? He’s back already?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement