Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So according to the Sindo,its an FF-FG-Green-Grand coalition then ?

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Eh?

Eh? Throw in your lot and the job is oxo, if they agree to coalesce with you, that is. Of course if some of them don't want you, just as you don't want FG, then the job is xox.

Yes they were, they openly admit it. Many many SF members weren't though. So to say SF bombed Warrington would be a lie.

You seem to be well informed as to who was in SF but not in the IRA, as to who was in the IRA but not in SF, and as to who was in both.

I doubt that the boys in Balcombe Street were carrying membership cards around with them when they went to the supermarket.

So SF didn't bomb Warrington. Sean Russell didn't bomb Warsaw, Rotterdam or Oslo, nor did he personally murder anyone at Auschwicz. But he shares responsibility for those deeds.

The great SF mantra of the moment is " move on.." The law has moved on in that it has forgiven many terrible things. But the GFA imposes no obligation on people to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

feargale wrote: »
    You seem to be well informed as to who was in SF but not in the IRA, as to who was in the IRA but not in SF, and as to who was in both.

I doubt that the boys in Balcombe Street were carrying membership cards around with them when they went to the supermarket.

So SF didn't bomb Warrington. Sean Russell didn't bomb Warsaw, Rotterdam or Oslo, nor did he personally murder anyone at Auschwicz. But he shares responsibility for those deeds.

The great SF mantra of the moment is " move on.." The law has moved on in that it has forgiven many terrible things. But the GFA imposes no obligation on people to forget.

What is your point here?

24% of people wish to leave it in the past. Nobody is forgetting the savagery and carnage of those days. I lost family members in the conflict/war.

The 'law' hasn't moved on BTW. Unless you have missed some high profile trials and charges being made.

The 'law' hasn't moved on BTW..........

SCC is fabulous to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foggyflies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

foggyflies wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil will likely arrange a coalition program for government with Fine Gael, Labour and the Greens but it would fail to be ratified by their party's’ membership.

I see this as unlikely. Party memberships tend to go along with whatever the leadership is proposing. Don't think FF grassroots would take much persuading that a deal with FG is the worst option currently facing the party, apart from all the others...

What is your point here?

24% of people wish to leave it in the past. Nobody is forgetting the savagery and carnage of those days. I lost family members in the conflict/war.

The 'law' hasn't moved on BTW. Unless you have missed some high profile trials and charges being made.

I'm not aware of any IRA person who sought a GFA criminal amnesty and didn't get it, though naturally not for things that happened thereafter. I hope you are not seriously suggesting that such an amnesty should deprive injured parties of their civil remedies.

I'm genuinely sorry to be told that you lost family in the Troubles. Alot of innocent civilians were murdered, and not just by the IRA as I don't need to tell you. And it has to be said that the initial acts of violence were committed by loyalist thugs. A few people that I knew well died too. If your loss prompted you to espouse unconstitutional politics I can only say that your decision was wrong-headed. Throughout the conflict the mandate of Northern Catholics was with Hume, Mallon etc. I sometimes hear Seamus Mallon vilified by "republicans" in the same way that I hear Bernie Sanders vilified by one or two born again Trumpist acquaintances. Nothing is specified but if you didn't sift the stuff carefully you could go away under the impression that they are/were bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

feargale wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any IRA person who sought a GFA criminal amnesty and didn't get it, though naturally not for things that happened thereafter. I hope you are not seriously suggesting that such an amnesty should deprive injured parties of their civil remedies.

I'm genuinely sorry to be told that you lost family in the Troubles. Alot of innocent civilians were murdered, and not just by the IRA as I don't need to tell you. And it has to be said that the initial acts of violence were committed by loyalist thugs. A few people that I knew well died too. If your loss prompted you to espouse unconstitutional politics I can only say that your decision was wrong-headed. Throughout the conflict the mandate of Northern Catholics was with Hume, Mallon etc. I sometimes hear Seamus Mallon vilified by "republicans" in the same way that I hear Bernie Sanders vilified by one or two born again Trumpist acquaintances. Nothing is specified but if you didn't sift the stuff carefully you could go away under the impression that they are/were bad people.

Hume nor Mallon were not bad people, they did make a range of mistakes. No more than you can re-write the history of what the IRA did, you can't rewrite others mistakes either.

The 'constitution' was put to one side here actually and those Irish in the north were vitually ignored in the run up to the lid come off and for a long time after.

Not the thread for it, but there is not just one story to be told.

Advertisement