Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So according to the Sindo,its an FF-FG-Green-Grand coalition then ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they are.... people on 200k are not 'the rich' , sure thats still only enough to buy a 4 bed semi in dundrum, hardly Sorento road money.

Ireland has a totally different definition of "rich" than anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

not surprised FG dont want to go into ruling again, FF should steer clear of it too in my opinion! If you dont have the appetite to change things and they certainly dont, they are on a hiding to nothing!

of the few big issues, transport is easy, just needs the money committed to fund the big projects! Health?! LOL! Housing? they are going to have to do stuff, that goes against their will and step on toes, I cant see them doing it at all or to the required level. Housing supply is up largely, no disputing that, but the affordability issue remains unsolved...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That leaves the Greens firmly in place as grand coalition mudguard so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

SF's support in the north seem happy in the main with their decision to leave the executive because it had become untenable and the GFA had stagnated to a stop, when it was meant't to be a process.

I don't think that's quite the message SF were getting on the doorsteps up there. Maybe for the first few months but people get pretty pissed off quickly when they see complete inaction. I like the cupla focal myself but holding all sorts of services to ransom over an Irish Language Act for instance was getting your priorities in a complete twist. Of course, it takes two to tango but those issues could have been resolved long before May's ill judged election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I don't think that's quite the message SF were getting on the doorsteps up there. Maybe for the first few months but people get pretty pissed off quickly when they see complete inaction. I like the cupla focal myself but holding all sorts of services to ransom over an Irish Language Act for instance was getting your priorities in a complete twist. Of course, it takes two to tango but those issues could have been resolved long before May's ill judged election.

SF compromised and did a deal with the DUP over 2 years ago. They didn't walk away, the DUP did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Be interesting to see if SF can cobble together a group that could go into government as a minority administration. Parties outside could let them at it till it's obvious either things are going pear shaped and/or they show to be ineffective and then pull the plug.

Or as also suggested this morning, a government of national unity with ministries along the D'Ondt process lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Idbatterim wrote: »
    not surprised FG dont want to go into ruling again, FF should steer clear of it too in my opinion! If you dont have the appetite to change things and they certainly dont, they are on a hiding to nothing!

of the few big issues, transport is easy, just needs the money committed to fund the big projects! Health?! LOL! Housing? they are going to have to do stuff, that goes against their will and step on toes, I cant see them doing it at all or to the required level. Housing supply is up largely, no disputing that, but the affordability issue remains unsolved...
    Transport is easy? Just look at the amount of objections to everything that is proposed. We have endless amounts of court action trying to stop things like Metrolink. It’s the planning system that needs to be tackled. Who’s willing to do that? We’ve already allowed big housing developments to get priority and go straight to ABP which is a positive.

Maybe we could have the first experimental automated government and have robots run the country. Think of the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if SF can cobble together a group that could go into government as a minority administration. Parties outside could let them at it till it's obvious either things are going pear shaped and/or they show to be ineffective and then pull the plug.

Or as also suggested this morning, a government of national unity with ministries along the D'Ondt process lines.

I just don’t see how a minority SF administration could work. The first budget would not pass and there would be blame games and jockeying for position galore.

The whole point of the main parties objection to SF in government is from a security point of view as much as a policy viewpoint.
    Sinn Fein have been involved in spy rings in the two parliaments in which they have designed to take their seats. British agents operate at the highest level of the organisation, with one of every two senior republicans at one point being in the pay of the British intelligence service.
    At such a sensitive time in negotiations with a more assertive Britain, it’s a serious threat to the security of the Irish Republic to have these people in power.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Transport is easy? Just look at the amount of objections to everything that is proposed. We have endless amounts of court action trying to stop things like Metrolink. It’s the planning system that needs to be tackled. Who’s willing to do that? We’ve already allowed big housing developments to get priority and go straight to ABP which is a positive.

DART expansion is just a matter of buying the sets and putting up the cables. The only possible objections are at level crossings. Metro North had a railway order until FG pulled the plug on it. Transport is easy.

when they are now losing seats over inaction, the few nimbies will be collateral damage now as oppossed to the sacred cows they were seen as before to politicians...

The nimbies in number, just make up a drop in the ocean of the electorate and now that the people have had enough of the status quo. They will not be facilitataed like they have been up to this point . Sure metro north had planning. FG opted not to get enabling works going with dart underground, which means planning lapsed, they didnt make any hard decisions at all. Hence FG have lost seats and this country is in the state it is in. If you arent prepared to govern, why go into government. I really do think FG do want to sit on the opposition benches and I fully understand why. to sort out the issues here, will involve stepping on a lot of toes and doing stuff they are ideologically oppossed too. There simply isnt enough money with the world class welfare state and free housing, black hole health, they remove so many from the tax net, wont increase the farcically low LPT. I mean its just paralysis here. Paralysis by analysis really sums this country up to a T!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Are you opposed to taxing them more?

they pay enough.

they pay enough.

So basically **** the poor.

So basically **** the poor.

You'll win the gold in the mental gymnastics competition if you keep that up.

just came across the below and am delighted, ABP are approving everything now! That is a serious turnabout!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/appeals-board-give-go-ahead-to-housing-plan-beside-st-annes-park-38967469.html

just came across the below and am delighted, ABP are approving everything now! That is a serious turnabout!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/appeals-board-give-go-ahead-to-housing-plan-beside-st-annes-park-38967469.html

thankfully, this objection on visual grounds or calling a development 'excessive' is awful.

You'll win the gold in the mental gymnastics competition if you keep that up.

Well you want lower taxes for the "middle class" and you'll not tax millionaires more. Everything has a price as you often point out . So that means cutting services .

"Sinn Féin has an obligation to the people who voted for it to show whether or not it can honour the extraordinary promises they made" — Varadkar

Translation: Fine Gael plans to sit back until the reality sinks in that the Sinn Fein election manifesto is about as credible as this guy:

07-minister.jpg

The government will fall within a year, people will be wise to the reality of SF's big promises, and the electorate will return a more pragmatic, centrist government.

Says leader of party finding it difficult to cope with being the third choice of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Have you looked across the border at all to NI and looked at the craic SF have done?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sinn-f%C3%A9in-under-fire-over-welfare-cuts-move-1.2435441

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/02/10/celebrating-sinn-fein-election-surge-consider-their-pro-austerity-record-north

The fact is you have fallen for the SF mantra on change and so on.

You are willing to believe in the cult of SF no matter what.

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-people-gullible.html

Plus, if and when SF fail to provide change that they promised no doubt you will be scrambling for evidence to prove that they did somewhere, anywhere!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Says leader of party finding it difficult to cope with being the third choice of the Irish people.

I think the undercurrent line of it is the new support SF gained is not a on a very reliable footing.

1) Young gullible working class
    2) Or disillusioned people elsewhere who decided to chance it.

The young working class will mature and get educated on SF, while the disillusioned people could be even more disillusioned if such promises were not delivered by SF.

Plus the SF hardcore gouger base (be it supporters or politicians) are always capable of turning these newer voters off.

Leo is well aware of this, and seems fairly confident that if SF did get in, they would get eaten alive the following election.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Westminster control the purse strings in NI. SF and the DUP have worked together in the past to attempt to ameliorate the cuts. I doubt Johnson cares at all, so the purse strings will get tighter. It's a glorified county council designed to keep the two sides together but as we've seen often fails.

Stormont collapsed last time because every single party and that includes unionists, walked away from the DUP.

Those are the facts for NI, yet we get government ministers like Donovan who fail to grasp this or who remain willfully ignorant.

I think the undercurrent line of it is the new support SF gained is not a on a very reliable footing.

1) Young gullible working class
    2) Or disillusioned people elsewhere who decided to chance it.

The young working class will mature and get educated on SF, while the disillusioned people could be even more disillusioned if such promises were not delivered by SF.

Plus the SF hardcore gouger base (be it supporters or politicians) are always capable of turning these newer voters off.

Leo is well aware of this, and seems fairly confident that if SF did get in, they would get eaten alive the following election.

When you're wrong, keep banging the same drum.

Well you want lower taxes for the "middle class" and you'll not tax millionaires more. Everything has a price as you often point out . So that means cutting services .

Or lower everyones taxes, widen the tax net the whole way out and allow an increase in high paying jobs and the people that fill them to make up the shortfall.

That and cut the hell out of administrative soending in the HSE and the aul welfare could use a chop

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Westminster control the purse strings in NI. SF and the DUP have worked together in the past to attempt to ameliorate the cuts. I doubt Johnson cares at all, so the purse strings will get tighter. It's a glorified county council designed to keep the two sides together but as we've seen often fails.

Stormont collapsed last time because every single party and that includes unionists, walked away from the DUP.

Those are the facts for NI, yet we get government ministers like Donovan who fail to grasp this or who remain willfully ignorant.

Come on that is a complete cop out the SDLP even called SF out on given social welfare powers to westminister.

What SF do in NI is similar to what James McClean does for Ireland, they have he ball, lose it, blames his team mates and shouts at the ref.

The ever falling vote share of the 2 power swap parties is the not very 'reliable footing'.

The inability of Leo & Co. to cope with the new found status he has led the party to, of 3rd favorite party, is a joy to behold tbh.
    As a strategy it is finding favour with the belligerent party faithful but nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

I have just spent the past half hour or so on the liberal.ie comments sections on Facebook

One was about gangs of African kids and the other a Marylou for Taoiseach one. The same people commenting on both. Jaysus people really don't know what they are voting for.

I have decided that I want Marylou to be Taoiseach, I want SF in government, I especially want SF to implement their 2017 policy document on refugee resettlement. Where we would be world leaders in taking in refugees.

Imagine the fecking backtracking

Or lower everyones taxes, widen the tax net the whole way out and allow an increase in high paying jobs and the people that fill them to make up the shortfall.

That and cut the hell out of administrative soending in the HSE and the aul welfare could use a chop

Has that worked ever? Anywhere?

Where are your magic high paying jobs coming from?

You want a regressive tax system, you're describing America and America has a **** the poor attitude

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    When you're wrong, keep banging the same drum.

Where am I wrong historically SF's support has always being around the 10% mark in recent history

They just managed to double it largely of the basis of gap in the left - a poor labour party, split by the SD. And a yahoo brigade with the PBP.

But yet SF manage to spin it as 'winning the election' much like those moral victories Ireland used to get in the soccer.
    Yet SF did not have enough numbers to form thier grand coalition of the left.
    To paraphrase the ulster people, they need to catch themselves on.

• Advertisement

Come on that is a complete cop out the SDLP even called SF out on given social welfare powers to westminister.

What SF do in NI is similar to what James McClean does for Ireland, they have he ball, lose it, blames his team mates and shouts at the ref.
    The pot from Westminster has been reducing under Tory austerity measures for years, so SF and the DUP have to make choices what to cut. Of course the SDLP and Ulster Unionists will criticise, that's politics.

Advertisement