Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »
    Looked dicey when Kerry got the run on them after half time but that's a great result for the minors.

Stemmed the flow very well helped by some bad Kerry wides but alot of credit has to go to the full backline. They had a very tough assignment and came out well on top. Very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Great win for the minors. To reach two AI finals on the trot is a great achievement. Was impressed with McGrath, Fiorentini, McLaughlin, Seoige and Culhane. Cox never stopped showing for the ball. Hernon stormed into the game in the last 15 minutes with some storming runs downfield. Halloran in goal looks very promising too and Galway have been looking for a top keeper for ages. He has a chance in a few years time.

Will be up against it against Cork who are a better side than Kerry I feel but were missing quite a few players during the Munster championship. They have them back now and look impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Kerry kicked some wides alright but they were under severe pressure all day from our backs. Super win. Shocking attendance felt like a league match at times rather than an All Ireland semi

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-apologise-for-false-allegation-made-against-galway-club-943715.html

I remember reading a Paul Kimmage article in the Sunday Independent about bullying and inappropriate behaviour going on in Athenry. Is this apology basically saying the story Kimmage was given was a pack of lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-apologise-for-false-allegation-made-against-galway-club-943715.html

I remember reading a Paul Kimmage article in the Sunday Independent about bullying and inappropriate behaviour going on in Athenry. Is this apology basically saying the story Kimmage was given was a pack of lies?

Hard to know. Robert Ruane wasn't one of the main people identified in the piece at the time. Be interesting if anything more comes out.

• Advertisement

On a more positive note Galway are going for their third minor All-Ireland title in a row this weekend which would be the counties first time achieving such success. It'd also make the 2010s Galways most successful decade at this level. Best of luck to everyone involved on Sunday.

I noticed that the Galway GAA Twitter account has been more active lately and even provided regular score updates for the minor football match last weekend. Hopefully that's the sort of standard we can expect going forward.

On a more positive note Galway are going for their third minor All-Ireland title in a row this weekend which would be the counties first time achieving such success. It'd also make the 2010s Galways most successful decade at this level. Best of luck to everyone involved on Sunday.

I noticed that the Galway GAA Twitter account has been more active lately and even provided regular score updates for the minor football match last weekend. Hopefully that's the sort of standard we can expect going forward.

I suppose the issue with the minors wins is that two batches(2015 and 2017) have moved to U20 and been underwhelming.
    In fairness they were good teams as opposed to having stand out players.

However a case could be made for the 2018 being the best of the bunch(completed seasons only) so we'll see the craic with them next year.

All the same its nice to win anything and all the best to the players on Sunday.
    They should be winning this one.

Great to see the minors going for 3 in a row today and a real indication of the spread of hurling throughout the rest of the county. Hopefully they can make history.

Stone wall peno turned down there. Throw in alot of soft wides and they should be well ahead. Much better Hurlers and quicker but a smaller team than KK

threeball wrote: »
    Stone wall peno turned down there. Throw in alot of soft wides and they should be well ahead. Much better Hurlers and quicker but a smaller team than KK

I was going to ask about the penalty. Hate the way they won't show replays in Croke Park. Bit harsh on the goalie too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Number 11 had an interesting free taking style with the ball very close to his feet.

I was going to ask about the penalty. Hate the way they won't show replays in Croke Park. Bit harsh on the goalie too.

Harsh on Galway in both cases. We're not making our dominance count here which spells trouble in a minor match.

Lovely hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Five point lead fair reflection of dominance. Nice penalty from McDonagh

Bit if breathing room at last. Miles the better team. Defence well on top. Better touch, much quicker but a bit too wasteful up front. Hopefully they can close it out in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That Davitt lad is a real talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is unreal. The hype is warranted. Thomas, Davitt amd McDonagh unreal.

3 in a row at minor. Great achievement all the same.

Next step is these lads to progress an win All Ireland’s at under 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great win by the minors - if they didn't hit as many wides as they did, then Kilkenny would have gotten absolutely hammered.

Well done to all involved.

Said this was one of the best minor teams we have ever had. Hard to say anyone underperformed other than strangely man of the match Sean McDonagh who missed chances he normally does in his sleep. Just shows the standards this team has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Well done to the Galway minors. Superb display of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

John Horan congratulates Ian McNally, couldn’t even get the name right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

ClanofLams wrote: »
    John Horan congratulates Ian McNally, couldn’t even get the name right.

I thought he made a mess of his name alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Said this was one of the best minor teams we have ever had. Hard to say anyone underperformed other than strangely man of the match Sean McDonagh who missed chances he normally does in his sleep. Just shows the standards this team has.

The guy is after scoring 2 goals and 8 points in an all Ireland final . I think we will give him a pass on missing a couple

Seriously impressive performance, especially the second half.

I was slightly worried at half time because Galway should really have been further ahead based on how they were on top in most areas.
    Great start to the second half killed the game as a contest.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Very impressive for 16 and 17 year olds. Mcdonagh missed quite a few frees unusually but he seemed to keep changing technique. Is that normal for him?

spurshero wrote: »
    The guy is after scoring 2 goals and 8 points in an all Ireland final . I think we will give him a pass on missing a couple

I think we will. You could tell by the interview he was annoyed he missed what he missed. He's the best minor I've seen since a certain young lad from Portuma. Hopefully we can pull this team and a certain number through to the U20/senior ranks in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Magnificent display by Galway. Steamrolled Kilkenny off the pitch. The future looks very bright for Galway hurling.

Very impressive for 16 and 17 year olds. Mcdonagh missed quite a few frees unusually but he seemed to keep changing technique. Is that normal for him?

Ya moving to the two step run up is usually his long range free taking style. Not sure why he moved away from his natural ball between his feet. Breeze was pretty tricky so maybe he felt extra power was needed to keep it straight.

• Advertisement

Excellent minor side. I reckon 7 or 8 of them have a real chance to play senior for Galway. If they put the hard work in.

Advertisement