Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

jr86 wrote: »
    RMAOK wrote: »
    I know it's going back a few years, but Kevin Brady used to play for sylane (still does afaik) but transferred to castlegar in order to play senior club. I'm not 100 % sure did he play senior for Galway.

Good point

He got a few runs in league but we're going back a good 12 years I'd say.

In fairness he did go back to sylane though as you say
    He did and he played senior County football too.. Top man Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Tadhg Haran the only one I can think of tbh...

And the city boundaries work a bit differently. If anything, him playing all the way up to minor for salthill is to be commended since theyre well and truly football centric

What city boundaries? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

sgthighway wrote: »
    What city boundaries? ;-)

Basically if you're from within the "urban area" which Knocknacarra technically is, you're free to transfer to any other City club when you get to minor. So what Haran did was perfectly legit

Several St james's players would have joined Salthill in the 90s/00s when James's were Junior/intermediate for example

You can actually play for any City club either as a juvenile, as the City don't have the same parish borders rural areas do. So he could have joined mellows at 6/7 years old. In a rural area you'd have to strictly live in an area (certainly in theory)

Its the only high profile case I can think of and its perfectly excusable, so I honestly don't know why the other poster is highlighting this as some serious issue in Galway hurling

With all due respect using a Mountbellew player is the worst example. Its hardly as if this will halt some quest to become a senior club in the future. With all due respect Mountbellew is a sizeable and completely football-centric parish - not some tiny hurling area riddled with emigration

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

Basically if you're from within the "urban area" which Knocknacarra technically is, you're free to transfer to any other City club when you get to minor. So what Haran did was perfectly legit

Several St james's players would have joined Salthill in the 90s/00s when James's were Junior/intermediate for example

You can actually play for any City club either as a juvenile, as the City don't have the same parish borders rural areas do. So he could have joined mellows at 6/7 years old. In a rural area you'd have to strictly live in an area (certainly in theory)

Its the only high profile case I can think of and its perfectly excusable, so I honestly don't know why the other poster is highlighting this as some serious issue in Galway hurling

With all due respect using a Mountbellew player is the worst example. Its hardly as if this will halt some quest to become a senior club in the future. With all due respect Mountbellew is a sizeable and completely football-centric parish - not some tiny hurling area riddled with emigration

Its the way it has to be when one sport dominates in an area. Very rare you'll find a club strong in both codes especially in Galway. Sylane is a perfect example. Sits in a 100% football area but making great strides picking up lads that want to play hurling from Corofin, Kilconly, Caherlistrane etc.
    Same should happen is south Galway with a football club having hurling feeder clubs for lads that prefer or have a better aptitude for football. The overall winner will be Galway.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

threeball wrote: »
    Its the way it has to be when one sport dominates in an area. Very rare you'll find a club strong in both codes especially in Galway. Sylane is a perfect example. Sits in a 100% football area but making great strides picking up lads that want to play hurling from Corofin, Kilconly, Caherlistrane etc.
    Same should happen is south Galway with a football club having hurling feeder clubs for lads that prefer or have a better aptitude for football. The overall winner will be Galway.

Arent Sylane crap though do they have any county players? better off investing in the city might give the boys in doughiska something to do :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Heard a rumour in work today.

A lad I work with said he was either talking to someone on the county board or heard second hand from someone on it that 10 senior players went to KW and asked him to stay on but that they wanted a change in the back room team.
    And that he was likely to stay on.

Absolute joke if that turns out to be true and shameful on the players if they think we're achieving all we can at the minute.
    The backroom isnt the issue, we've went through a few of them already in this 5 year tenure.

A lad I work with said he was either talking to someone on the county board or heard second hand from someone on it that 10 senior players went to KW and asked him to stay on but that they wanted a change in the back room team.

Absolute joke if that turns out to be true and shameful on the players if they think we're achieving all we can at the minute.
    The backroom isnt the issue, we've went through a few of them already in this 5 year tenure.

If that's true it shows this group have no ambition and are happy enough wear the county footballer tag for the few perks that come with it.

I think at this stage there is zero chance of KW stepping down players or no players. He just comes across as deluded and has this attitude that he's put upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kevin, Silke and Co sticking around next year would be pure arrogance from lads who haven't come within an arse's roar of an All-Ireland final and have embarrassed themselves more often than we've had great wins.

Kevin, Silke and Co sticking around next year would be pure arrogance from lads who haven't come within an arse's roar of an All-Ireland final and have embarrassed themselves more often than we've had great wins.

Have you seen Walshes interviews. According to the man everyone that criticises their style of play is a no nothing fool. They have a very harmonious and productive camp and they're improving all the time. Basically everyone needs to take a chill pill and let him work his magic. They're close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wouldn't be surprised. Comer came out and publicly backed him a few days after the Mayo game.

Think it would be a terrible decision though. KW has shown that he's very stubborn. He's not going to change his ways suddenly after 5 years in charge.

A big shake up required. Not rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be surprised. Comer came out and publicly backed him a few days after the Mayo game.

Think it would be a terrible decision though. KW has shown that he's very stubborn. He's not going to change his ways suddenly after 5 years in charge.

Comer and Kyne were two names of the 10 he was able to reel off.
    We'll see in time but I suppose when so many managers have left their posts already its unlikely he's going to walk, and I'm not sure when a push is most likely if that's the avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If true, Roscommon and Mayo should be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Heard something very similar myself. Delusion at it's finest.

Well its clear now that Tally was running the show last year

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robert2014

God help us! It goes to show what we mentioned earlier. This smacks of a group of players that are happy to be seen to be county players but with no great ambition to improve and see how far they can go. We have a lot to be grateful to Kevin Walsh for, but it's evident that he has brought us as far as he can and it's sad to see the players so willing to accept this and not look for a better management team to improve us. It's not accepting reality to say that injuries are the reason we were so bad this year and it's feels that 2020 will be another wasted year and the summer of 2019 is not even over yet! :(

Robert2014 wrote: »
    God help us! It goes to show what we mentioned earlier. This smacks of a group of players that are happy to be seen to be county players but with no great ambition to improve and see how far they can go. We have a lot to be grateful to Kevin Walsh for, but it's evident that he has brought us as far as he can and it's sad to see the players so willing to accept this and not look for a better management team to improve us. It's not accepting reality to say that injuries are the reason we were so bad this year and it's feels that 2020 will be another wasted year and the summer of 2019 is not even over yet! :(

If the players are of that mindset it won't matter who's managing them. The best thing the county board can do is focus the funds on underage and limit the budget of the senior team. Waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Well its clear now that Tally was running the show last year

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

I went to castlebar yesterday . The intensity mayo played at was unreal . There tackling was ferocious . That’s the biggest difference for me . We have some nice footballers but we don’t have players that would die for the jersey . Mayo do .
    I think that’s either in ya or it’s not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

spurshero wrote: »
    I went to castlebar yesterday . The intensity mayo played at was unreal . There tackling was ferocious . That’s the biggest difference for me . We have some nice footballers but we don’t have players that would die for the jersey . Mayo do .

Disagree. Galway have plenty of players who would play at huge intensity for the jersey and county. In fact they show it mostly when they play Mayo !

What they need is controlled aggression, which Mayo have in spades. I look at the likes of Eoghan Kerin and please do not tell me that he is not intense and does not tackle ferociously, but is it controlled in the right way? Players need guidance and good coaching, which can sometimes be too intense. Dublin are still the Kings of controlling that aggression. The experience that Mayo have shows how good they are in those intense pressure situations, they were brilliant against Donegal and the class that they have shone through. They are a great team.

The one thing that stands out for me is that Mayo are a team that seem to be player led. When the going gets tough, it is the players who take control, take responsibility, that is the biggest difference to Galway. We can turn things on in spurts, beat Mayo and then lose games that we should win. We have great individuals, but not a great team. We have club battles mostly due to having a hugely successful club, the best in the land. I look at Lee Keegan who won a Footballer of the year and then an All Ireland intermediate Club Championship, what a player. Always given the dirty jobs to do in marking certain players but does it for the team, never lets scores or misses affect him, just gives everything for the team, class act.

We do not get the blend right, the culture right to empower those players who take to the field. Mayo look like men who will fight for one another, not so sure about Galway in that regard. Leadership shows in those pressure situations is what is missing for me, Mayo have those leaders.... on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Disagree. Galway have plenty of players who would play at huge intensity for the jersey and county. In fact they show it mostly when they play Mayo !

What they need is controlled aggression, which Mayo have in spades. I look at the likes of Eoghan Kerin and please do not tell me that he is not intense and does not tackle ferociously, but is it controlled in the right way? Players need guidance and good coaching, which can sometimes be too intense. Dublin are still the Kings of controlling that aggression. The experience that Mayo have shows how good they are in those intense pressure situations, they were brilliant against Donegal and the class that they have shone through. They are a great team.

The one thing that stands out for me is that Mayo are a team that seem to be player led. When the going gets tough, it is the players who take control, take responsibility, that is the biggest difference to Galway. We can turn things on in spurts, beat Mayo and then lose games that we should win. We have great individuals, but not a great team. We have club battles mostly due to having a hugely successful club, the best in the land. I look at Lee Keegan who won a Footballer of the year and then an All Ireland intermediate Club Championship, what a player. Always given the dirty jobs to do in marking certain players but does it for the team, never lets scores or misses affect him, just gives everything for the team, class act.

We do not get the blend right, the culture right to empower those players who take to the field. Mayo look like men who will fight for one another, not so sure about Galway in that regard. Leadership shows in those pressure situations is what is missing for me, Mayo have those leaders.... on the pitch.

Really? And what exactly have mayo to show for all their great leaders?
    Skill is everything at the end of the day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

BENDYBINN wrote: »

They have lots to show for their efforts and great leaders, performances like Donegal for starters, numerous Connacht titles, a league title, All Ireland Semi Finals, All Ireland Finals, replay etc etc.

It's alright saying that they have no All Ireland medals if that is what you are getting at but they are up against a Dublin machine at the peak of their powers and they have come closer than most. It would be fitting if they do stop that five in a row (knowing them they might go and lose in the Final). I personally hope that they do win against Dublin. They have given their supporters some great days out and some amount of heartbreak along the way. I would applaud their never give in attitude even when written off time and time again. They have some real leaders in their team (mostly over 30 sadly for them) and I for one wish them all the best, can't see them doing it, but would be delighted if they did.

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I'd agree with most of that. We have lads that dig in for games against Mayo then don't bother their hoop when playing Roscommon or Tipperary. There is also a lack of self belief across the team which you can see in the tentitive nature of our attacks which I believe comes from KW. He's basicly implied that they're not good enough without this ridiculous "system" and it pervades the squad. However if the rumours are true that 10 players approached him to stay then maybe he's right and they are gutless and need the system to protect them. There's no doubting the footballing talent in the team. All the other factors have been sorely lacking.
    Their ability to tackle as inter county footballers is pathetic in many cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Mayo don't need Connacht. They've muscle-memory of big games and big wins so all they needed was a bit of momentum and a few returns from injuries to bring them back to 2017 form. Donegal were built up as the second best in the country and shat the togs again when it mattered.

Galway proved this year that we didn't even have the belief or the hunger to hype ourselves up for the only match we had consistently turned up for since 2016 in all competitions. If that isn't an indication that new voices are needed then we can enjoy another qualifiers exit in 2020.m

Mayo don't need Connacht. They've muscle-memory of big games and big wins so all they needed was a bit of momentum and a few returns from injuries to bring them back to 2017 form. Donegal were built up as the second best in the country and shat the togs again when it mattered.

Galway proved this year that we didn't even have the belief or the hunger to hype ourselves up for the only match we had consistently turned up for since 2016 in all competitions. If that isn't an indication that new voices are needed then we can enjoy another qualifiers exit in 2020.m

The players obviously don't agree that a new voice is needed. They don't get great support but it hard to argue they deserve even what they have. You can't bank on them showing up in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mayo just have better players generally, despite a weird winning streak over them. Don’t think Galway have any defenders in the mould of Keegan, Durcan, Boyle, even Higgins although he doesn’t look the force he was. No midfielder of the calibre of Aidan O’Shea.

Not dismissing Galway, there’s plenty of young talent that might reach that level in the next few years but there’s a reason why Mayo have been to multiple all Ireland finals and have been the only team to give Dublin a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Mayo just have better players generally, despite a weird winning streak over them. Don’t think Galway have any defenders in the mould of Keegan, Durcan, Boyle, even Higgins although he doesn’t look the force he was. No midfielder of the calibre of Aidan O’Shea.

Not dismissing Galway, there’s plenty of young talent that might reach that level in the next few years but there’s a reason why Mayo have been to multiple all Ireland finals and have been the only team to give Dublin a game.

Yeah and I have a huge amount of respect for the likes of Andy Moran. A great example of that never-give-up attitude and a real leader. Mayo just seem to have more character throughout the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Galway lads had a good week in Ballybrit, EJ sorted them all out fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robert2014

It's great that they had all that free time for the races instead of Super 8s and All Ireland semi-finals getting in the way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

BENDYBINN wrote: »

They've been the 2nd best team in the Country for the last 10 years, they've been a bit unlucky coming up against a great Dublin team.

Disagree, skill isn't everything anymore, it's important but without huge intensity a team will get nowhere nowadays.

• Advertisement

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Galway lads had a good week in Ballybrit, EJ sorted them all out fair play to him.

Ya comers pink suit was something else

Advertisement