Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

MfMan wrote: »
    threeball wrote: »
    Not a chance. Media darlings. Newstalk spend 7/8ths of their time talking about them if they win and the same wondering why they lost when they get put to the sword.

Wouldn't be too glib about it. Mayo lost with honour today; played Dubs to a standstill in the first half; Dublin emerged after half-time and played a spell of football as well as any I've ever seen against a team out on it's feet, playing nearly 8 weeks on the trot. Had we been there, we'd have been destroyed in the first half alone. We've regressed so much in 12 months it's unreal.

Not having a go at Mayo. They played very well in the first half and no one will live with Dublin over 70 mins. My point was the way the media almost exclusively cover them and Dublin with barely any time given to other teams.

Given the fact that alot of our players seem to have little to no ambition and Dublin won't be caught regardless due to their set up it would be well worth diverting funds into club and underage for the next number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

There's been more than enough diverting of funds already in Galway GAA. Allegedly.....

On a more serious note would reducing investment in the team really free up more money? Looking at next year's league I think most observers would say it's going to be two out of Galway, Monaghan and Meath filling the relegation places. Going back to division two would be a disaster as the attendances for league games, which are already underwhelming, would drop even more.

Teams lower down the food chain also get less media coverage which could affect sponsorship deals.

grbear wrote: »
    There's been more than enough diverting of funds already in Galway GAA. Allegedly.....

On a more serious note would reducing investment in the team really free up more money? Looking at next year's league I think most observers would say it's going to be two out of Galway, Monaghan and Meath filling the relegation places. Going back to division two would be a disaster as the attendances for league games, which are already underwhelming, would drop even more.

Teams lower down the food chain also get less media coverage which could affect sponsorship deals.

I don't think you'll see attendances for any games next year. The gig is up for the GAA. Everyone knows the script. I expect Galway hurling to boom in the next 5yrs with new recruits.

Why would anyone go watch the footballers flute about playing Kevin Walsh football with the prospect of going forward to be hammered by a professional team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very hard to sneer at Mayo when they blitzed us in a similar fashion a few weeks ago in the first half. They'll realistically be the last team to have properly had Dubs squirm in a final (they were the better team in nearly every final appearance against the Dubs too imo but 2017 was the last chance for their current panel).

Unless Kerry/Tyrone pull a miracle out of the hat in a few weeks it's going to be the most subdued championship ever seen next season. And we might still have Kevin Walsh and the current circus still in charge in 2020 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Very hard to sneer at Mayo when they blitzed us in a similar fashion a few weeks ago in the first half. They'll realistically be the last team to have properly had Dubs squirm in a final (they were the better team in nearly every final appearance against the Dubs too imo but 2017 was the last chance for their current panel).

Unless Kerry/Tyrone pull a miracle out of the hat in a few weeks it's going to be the most subdued championship ever seen next season. And we might still have Kevin Walsh and the current circus still in charge in 2020 :(

If Kerry get through today, I reckon they could give Dublin a good rattle in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They didn't blitz us though. We handed them the softest tap in of all time and Walsh missed an easy free on the HT whistle, shoulve been 2 down after the worst display in years. That's why this year was so frustrating, you put both panels on paper and id take Galways every day of the week but there's a certain desire that they always seem to have that we don't.

On the manager front, Rochford said today hes not interested in a managerial role. I do think it's time for a change but there's not many options out there. I'm unsure on Joyce, albiet would have a lot of confidence that Divilly is a good coach. Current Corofin setup is more senior player and certain coaches led than manager by all accounts. We're flat broke so an outside manager like Malachy O'Rourke is out. Even if the cb wanted change (don't think they do), options aren't plentiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

If Kerry get through today, I reckon they could give Dublin a good rattle in the final.

Completely disagree I'm afraid TCD, i reckon Dublin will annihilate them by as much as they want.

Kerry who only drew with Donegal their last game in Croke park... Who cork waltzed through time and time again in Munster...who lost to mayo in league final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

jr86 wrote: »
    Completely disagree I'm afraid TCD, i reckon Dublin will annihilate them by as much as they want.

Kerry who only drew with Donegal their last game in Croke park... Who cork waltzed through time and time again in Munster...who lost to mayo in league final

Who also hammered mayo a few weeks ago........
    I dont see Kerry beating them but certainly can see them giving the their toughest game in the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Life would be very boring if everybody agreed with each other.

I just feel this Kerry team have something in them. A lot will have to right for them but I think they are capable of putting up a decent score against Dublin. The question would be if they can contain Dublin at the other end.

I completely agree. When Geaney is your 4th or 5th best forward you have something special going on. They're the single team that can put up the score needed to beat Dublin

• Advertisement

Who hockeyed Mayo by the same score Dublin beat them by yesterday. You can construe results to suit any argument. Dublin were awesome for 15 mins yesterday but I'm not getting all the doom and gloom. They were also quite poor at stages and it was as much about cock ups from players like Keegan and Hennelly not having the balls to go short as Dublin being great. I'd be excited to see Kerry have a go at them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Key to beating Dublin is keeping score down not trying to outscore them in high scoring game. Mayo restricted Dublin in first half to very few scoring opportunities hence they went in leading at half time. It was similar in many ways to Dublin and Galway league final last year. Comer e.g had the Dublin backs rattled in that first half and they didn't know how to deal with him.

Problem with Kerry as jr86 alluded to is Kerry's openness in defence; in league final, vs Donegal and vs Cork in munster final. Dublin on paper would have field day with that defence. Add to that Kerry are basically relying on guys just out of minor to beat a team that's been around the block for years at this stage.

I don't think you'll see attendances for any games next year. The gig is up for the GAA. Everyone knows the script. I expect Galway hurling to boom in the next 5yrs with new recruits.

Why would anyone go watch the footballers flute about playing Kevin Walsh football with the prospect of going forward to be hammered by a professional team.

Maybe you are right but I'd still be surprised if Division 1 football wasn't worth at least an extra €100,000 a year to a county like Galway compared to Division 2.

Hulk Hands wrote: »

I completely agree. When Geaney is your 4th or 5th best forward you have something special going on. They're the single team that can put up the score needed to beat Dublin

Problem is it's not the forwards they needed to beef up its the backs. You put mayo 1 to 8 and Kerry 9 to 15 you have a team to rattle the dubs but both have only half a team. Dublins players are not vastly superior to those from other counties but what goes on around them is.

grbear wrote: »

Maybe you are right but I'd still be surprised if Division 1 football wasn't worth at least an extra €100,000 a year to a county like Galway compared to Division 2.

100k unfortunately wouldn't scratch the surface of investment in the senior team or sadly the investment needed across the county if you were to even half emulate the advantages afforded to Dublin on an annual basis.

Badly needed score from Hernon there in the minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Badly needed score from Hernon there in the minor.

Some very nice footballers on this minor team.

I turn it on less than 2mins late for this half and Kerry have scored 4 points?
    How is it even possible to concede 4 points in less than two minutes.

Galway minor teams have an awful habit of kicking away finals and semis despite dominating the game. Did the same last year when the centre forward kicked at least 7 frees wide.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Who also hammered mayo a few weeks ago........

Yeah but that's one big game they've won handy. Dublin win all of theirs handy...

In the big games since 2016. Kerry have drew with Mayo, lost to Mayo, lost to Galway, drew with Monaghan, drew with Donegal, and hammered Mayo. One very positive result

In that time Dublin have beaten Monaghan well, beaten Tyrone well, beaten Donegal in 2nd gear, beaten Galway well, and were always extremely comfortable in last year's final. Have now hammered Mayo and Roscommon this year too. Their only blemish in that time is actually winning a final. But only by a point

That's the gap between them and the rest

Will kerry put up the biggest score against them this year if they beat Tyrone today? I've little doubt they will.

I would expect Dublin to get at least 4 goals though and absolutely saunter through that defence time and time again and put up a massive points tally.

• Advertisement

Problem is it's not the forwards they needed to beef up its the backs. You put mayo 1 to 8 and Kerry 9 to 15 you have a team to rattle the dubs but both have only half a team. Dublins players are not vastly superior to those from other counties but what goes on around them is.

No team is going to have the full package though. If rather have the forwards and hope your own goal chances stick and they have an off day, like the first half yesterday or the Donegal game last year and you score enough to beat them. Make the game as random as possible. Being solid and keeping the score down just delays the inevitable

3 on 2, takes on a point which was the wrong option and then misses.
    I'd take him off for that alone... greedy.

Great result for the Galway minors - fair play

Great work going in underage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great win by the minors - it must be said that Kerry hit a bag of wides and Galway gave up possession a lot in the second half.

Still, it's a great win

Cracking result. Kerry really pissed that away with wides.

Great result for the Galway minors - fair play

Great work going in underage

We've always brought through loads at minor and u21 in hurling and football. Our minors have been within a hairs breath of these Kerry minor teams the last few years. Yet not a word about them. We seem to transition to u20 better than Kerry but they bring more of them through to senior. It's very odd.

3 on 2, takes on a point which was the wrong option and then misses.
    I'd take him off for that alone... greedy.

He's 17. He showed great leadership after that. Culhanes decision making is suspect also but you can tell he's got it, his last point was pure class. You can excuse the decision making at that age.

Lovely win. Kerry will be kicking themselves but still, fair play to them. Few nice prospects there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I turn it on less than 2mins late for this half and Kerry have scored 4 points? How is it even possible to concede 4 points in less than two minutes.

Ask Mayo!!

Looked dicey when Kerry got the run on them after half time but that's a great result for the minors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Super stuff. Some of our usually better players didn't have great games but they ground it out brilliantly. Two corner Backs, Hernon at wing back Nolan at wing forward and Cox had super games. Into two minor finals now is no bad achievement.

Advertisement