Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

threeball wrote: »
    Why? Know a lad that played under him in Dublin and they had great time for him.

Very much a Ger Loughnane name that gets touted because they're in the public eye rather than success in the last 5 years. Only Daly hasn't the same level of accolades.

Mulqueen would be a good lad to bring on board imo.

We'll he hasn't managed anyone in a while hence the lack of success but he brought Dublin on a ton and they thought he was the business. Still do. That bond goes along way especially if you have the Hurlers already and just need the group to gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Options seem limited enough to be honest. I'm struggling to think of names that would be available.
    Doubt it'll be either Lynskey or Hanley. Both have only done one year in their current roles.

Can't think of another local that could get it. Looks like it might be an outside manager.

Jeff Lynskey only real Galway contender - done well with minors over 3 yrs or so but not great with 1st yr with u20s.
    Id say Daly or Davy Fitz would jump at the chance.

O Shea id doubt will be interested, Tipp or nothing for him.

maroondog wrote: »
    Options seem limited enough to be honest. I'm struggling to think of names that would be available.
    Doubt it'll be either Lynskey or Hanley. Both have only done one year in their current roles.

Can't think of another local that could get it. Looks like it might be an outside manager.

Jeff Lynskey only real Galway contender - done well with minors over 3 yrs or so but not great with 1st yr with u20s.

I think Davy is ideal with a team who are on the up or need a self confidence boost but not sure if he'd do as well in an experienced dressing room where lads might think they can afford to be sceptical. I think he could be quite divisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Robson99 wrote: »
    There's no doubt that Cunningham got the ****ty end of the stick. Decent guy who had made huge strides with the team and deserved better. Tactically was very poor in the final we collapsed against KK but the dressing room incident that day couldn't have helped matters.

Not the Harte incident ??

The big question from that incident was how did Josie Harte leave his seat and get into the dressing room at half time??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't know anything about that incident other than I remember clear as day Aidan Harte getting cleaned out early on and not knowing where he was & they forced to take him off early because of it. We were 3 points up at half time that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I think Davy is ideal with a team who are on the up or need a self confidence boost but not sure if he'd do as well in an experienced dressing room where lads might think they can afford to be sceptical. I think he could be quite divisive.

I agree. While his appointment would bring excitement and a freshness a lot of the hurling public in Galway would not be too impressed with Davy’s style of hurling or indeed his other antics.

Daly would go for it I reckon.

I doubt Matty Kenny will leave Dublin and not too sure how how his last role as selector went under Cunningham. I believe that there where rumblings about him.

Very hard to know who will go for it.

Definetly All Ireland Challenging team potentially,but key players are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Disappointing. Hard to see who the next manager will be. Doubt it will be Mattie Kenny due to his connection to the last manager and what went on. Don't really see many in house candidates. Davy and Daly are champions of the sweeper which wouldn't suit us. I would still think Eamonn O Shea could be an option. Works in NUIG, lives in Knocknacarra and his son a big player of the minor team last year. I felt continuity was needed with this bunch. Glynn in USA Joseph Cooney in Aus and a number of young players that need developing/introducing into the senior set up. If it's a manager from outside the county his backroom team need to be local and spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Kenny got out before the situation became toxic though. I'd be hoping for him, although I would hope the very senior players are at least consulted. Mulqueen's been mentioned, another nice prospect to hopefully be involved, albiet not for the top job yet. Overall options seem sparse, it's worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

They should have moved for eamon o shea and brought him into the backroom team last year when he was available. He would be a good coach.

What about Francis Forde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Mulqueen is a great shout.

He has absolutely transformed Liam Mellows from a team of underachievers to two county finals in a row (and one title). Most importantly though, he has all their players fierce interested and playing to the max of their ability. A true sign of a good man-manager. Also tactically very astute

I know its club, but I do believe if the Galway team all perform to the best of their ability there’s another couple of All Irelands in this side. Things definitely seemed a bit stale this year. MD had a superb legacy (could well have won 2 AIs with a bit of luck) and would have deserved another year if he so wanted, but one criticism I would have is the league this year. Playing P. Mannion centre back all through and then out on the wing in champ, playing the other Mannion midfield all through then moving him in champ, probably over playing JC, rushing back lads from club duty who then subsequently didn’t reach the heights of before, the ambiguous goalkeeper situation, moving Tuohy into the forwards from nowhere in champ.

This Mellows side isn’t good enough to win an All Ireland and they have their county title, so Mulqueen is not going to take them any further – as a result I’m sure he’d be interested if approached

Can’t see Kenny leaving Dublin after one year, but stranger has happened and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

cson wrote: »
    I don't know anything about that incident other than I remember clear as day Aidan Harte getting cleaned out early on and not knowing where he was & they forced to take him off early because of it. We were 3 points up at half time that day.

What’s the dressing room incident lads are speaking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The Galway county board have proven themselves to be a bunch of incompetent, egotistical idiots on more than one occasion so it's more than likely true. Where they go from here is anyone's guess. Getting rid of Donoghue and keeping Walsh beats all.

County Board are farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

maroondog wrote: »

Lynskey won't be let near it.

There's a big difference between managing kids and a Senior Intercounty Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Joe rabbittee maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

When I heard the talk of Donoghue going I just put it down to yet another silly rumour being too much credence by people who should know better. I'm shocked he went as even though 2019 was a disappointment Galway weren't a million miles off the pace.

Like the vast majority of Galway people I'm grateful for what he achieved with the county and wish him all the best for the future.

Lynskey is the bookies favourite by a long way right now but it's hard to know is that based on inside information or just people assuming the county board will go for the "easy" option. Ideally he'd get another year or two at U-20 level but if he gets the nod then fair play to him.

grbear wrote: »
    When I heard the talk of Donoghue going I just put it down to yet another silly rumour being too much credence by people who should know better. I'm shocked he went as even though 2019 was a disappointment Galway weren't a million miles off the pace.

Like the vast majority of Galway people I'm grateful for what he achieved with the county and wish him all the best for the future.

Lynskey is the bookies favourite by a long way right now but it's hard to know is that based on inside information or just people assuming the county board will go for the "easy" option. Ideally he'd get another year or two at U-20 level but if he gets the nod then fair play to him.

Full story might get out eventually. But number one he felt it was time. Young family. Massive commitments. The county board member that made things so difficult should resign as well. Feel sorry for the players. They almost had him changing his decision. Nobody really wants this. Hopefully next management don't have any shackles put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

So supposedly Kevin Walsh is staying . Have to say I thought it was time for a change . Supposedly some of the lads that are on the team asked him to stay. Maybe some of these lads are worried they might not be on team under another manager !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Lynskey won't be let near it.

There's a big difference between managing kids and a Senior Intercounty Team.

Yet its been done plenty times.

It'll definitely be an inside manager because the county board aren't going to fork out for an outsider. From what I've heard they were quite tight fisted about investing in the team. Maybe if they weren't pocketing half the money we wouldn't have this problem.

KW staying is a joke. I won't even turn on the tv to watch the predictable groundhog day sh1te he's going to serve up next year. A great midfielder, but a useless manager. I wouldn't have him managing a junior club. The board will hold on to him because he's probably not asking for much and he's costing nothing.

For all the great young talent coming through it's all going to waste because of the useless goons steering the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

kippy wrote: »
    Yet its been done plenty times.

Exactly, just ask John Kiely or Liam Sheedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

McIntyres piece in today's Tribune about Donoghues departure makes for grim reading.

Does anyone know if the issues over Lucasz Kirszentein were because Donoghue felt Lynskey wasn't using him enough or if it was because Lynskey felt the u-20s weren't being given enough of Kirszenteins time?

It seems crazy that there still seems to be issues over financial backing for teams. We were all told after last year's AGM that the sale of mountain south and implementing proper checks regarding how money was handled meant that the finances were in a healthy state.

McIntyres piece in today's Tribune about Donoghues departure makes for grim reading.

Does anyone know if the issues over Lucasz Kirszentein were because Donoghue felt Lynskey wasn't using him enough or if it was because Lynskey felt the u-20s weren't being given enough of Kirszenteins time?

It seems crazy that there still seems to be issues over financial backing for teams. We were all told after last year's AGM that the sale of mountain south and implementing proper checks regarding how money was handled meant that the finances were in a healthy state.

Galway Bay seem to have gotten wind of some of it. Big issue with a county board member who I said previously should resign. Issue doesn't seem to be whether we have the money. More MD was told he wouldn't have the same funds for 2020 as 2019. This from what I was told was simply to make a decision he had mostly made definite. Things are difficult enough offering all the time it takes to be an inter county manager, Young family and work but when you feel you don't have backing where you need it probably made the decision easy.

Players did their best for him to stay but he wasn't for turning.

https://m.facebook.com/188028301220096/posts/2540391629317073/?notif_id=1566489926690551&notif_t=page_highlights&ref=notif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Galway Bay seem to have gotten wind of some of it. Big issue with a county board member who I said previously should resign. Issue doesn't seem to be whether we have the money. More MD was told he wouldn't have the same funds for 2020 as 2019. This from what I was told was simply to make a decision he had mostly made definite. Things are difficult enough offering all the time it takes to be an inter county manager, Young family and work but when you feel you don't have backing where you need it probably made the decision easy.

https://m.facebook.com/188028301220096/posts/2540391629317073/?notif_id=1566489926690551&notif_t=page_highlights&ref=notif

Galway GAA are not in a good place financially and from what I can see, there are still massive questions around governance and finances. While the manager should be backed financially when the money isn't there, it isn't there.

Any link to that article. I can't find it

Galway GAA are not in a good place financially and from what I can see, there are still massive questions around governance and finances. While the manager should be backed financially when the money isn't there, it isn't there.

When you look at the commercial team put together to raise money in Tipp this year it goes to show how important money is to success. The GAA need to make a decision where we're going here. Is it one where the top teams with the best funding win every thing or are they going to level the playing field. We're lucky enough to have the potential to raise the funds to stay near the top but it's not good for the majority of the association.

I can only go on what I was told. And I can't verify its truth only than the person is close to current hurling affairs. Galway finances would seem to be in good health all things considered and this will be shown at the AGM so that should be easy to clarify soon enough.

So.

Whether true or not the issue is that money was not been made available to MD that would possibly be made available to someone else in charge. That's the way it was put. Someone with financial clout is not MD biggest fan and so things spiralled.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I can only go on what I was told. And I can't verify its truth only than the person is close to current hurling affairs. Galway finances would seem to be in good health all things considered and this will be shown at the AGM so that should be easy to clarify soon enough.

So.

Whether true or not the issue is that money was not been made available to MD that would possibly be made available to someone else in charge. That's the way it was put. Someone with financial clout is not MD biggest fan and so things spiralled.

I can't wrap my head around someone on county board not being his biggest fan. If it was Davy Fitz I'd believe they'd get sick of him but Donoghue doesn't seem like the type to cause trouble so why would someone want him out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Pretty pivotal weekend in the club football championship.

In senior its the first real week of proper do or die action. Will get a much clearer picture of potential QFists and relegation bound sides

In intermediate its the last round of group games, all the QFists will be decided. I'm pretty sure only 3 teams are certain of QF places out of 8 heading into the weekend, and only 1 has top spot sewn up. The 16 team, 4x4 group, format works an absolute treat and its great the senior is moving to the same. Intermediate will be all played off in the first weekend of October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Johnny Ward
    @Ui_Maine
    My understanding is that Galway hurling squad working on a revolt against county board with primary intention to both reinstate Micheál Donoghue as manager and oust a leading player in said board. Interesting times ahead.

Advertisement