Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

There was talk of player unrest. Some seniors players were not going to play for MD next yr

Amazing how it can fall apart so quickly if that's the case. Two all Ireland finals in two years and the camp falls apart in year 3. Hard to fathom that. That's the last two managers that senior players have fallen out with if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

threeball wrote: »
    Amazing how it can fall apart so quickly if that's the case. Two all Ireland finals in two years and the camp falls apart in year 3. Hard to fathom that. That's the last two managers that senior players have fallen out with if that's the case.

Could all be bs but the players have form for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Will be interesting to see the story. I would be surprised if this was player power in action but then again nothing should surprise me in Galway GAA. Maybe he just felt he had done his time and needed a break from it.

He was interviewed on OTB during the races and he didn't sound like a fella who was thinking of stepping down that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Cyril Farrell on the way back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wouldn’t believe that about players, handy county board rumour to throw out there for a bit of deflection.

Cyril Farrell aside, the most successful manager in Galway hurling history has been lost tonight. Deserves great praise for the work he did.

New management teams are always a risk and rarely successful in terms of all
    Ireland in year one (Sheedy wasn’t new really). Canning has two years left probably, this decision could piss them away.

• Advertisement

My guess is there was disagreements over the make up of the backroom team. And Donoghue walked over it.

He'll always have 17 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Current panel would be an attractive proposition but any person with cop on would do well to avoid the clowns in the county board.

Had heard it took a lot to get Donoghue back on board this season and it was a disaster after 3 very good seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

There was talk of player unrest. Some seniors players were not going to play for MD next yr

4 burkes ???

If there was player discontent you'd imagine it would have come out shortly after the Dublin game rather than now. The Cunningham rumours kicked off shortly after the final and came to a head around Christmas if I remember. It's hard believe it was down to a player revolt.

There was rumours of the footballers revolting after the roscommon game and they turned out to be b.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Get Dalo in

• Advertisement

Who is next?

Davy, Anthony Daly, Francis Forde,?

Don’t really believe the rumour about players but even if it’s true, they should have been told where to go.

Don’t have a problem with players wanting new management if someone hasn’t been successful but Donoghue’s record earned him support from county board.

kala85 wrote: »
    Who is next?

Doubt it'll be either Lynskey or Hanley. Both have only done one year in their current roles.

Can't think of another local that could get it. Looks like it might be an outside manager.

Who is next?

Definitely Daly from that group. Surely he'll go to Clare

Eamonn o Shea???

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Louis mulqueen and anthony daly been spoken to already

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Don’t really believe the rumour about players but even if it’s true, they should have been told where to go.

Don’t have a problem with players wanting new management if someone hasn’t been successful but Donoghue’s record earned him support from county board.

County Boards always sh1t the bed where players kick off. Look at Mayo with Holmes and Connelly.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Eamonn o Shea???

Would be an obvious choice but can't see him leaving tipp at the moment

Eamonn o Shea???

Tipp man through and through despite living most of his adult life in Galway. I couldn't see him managing or coaching against Tipp.

Eamonn o Shea???

Would be an obvious choice but can't see him leaving tipp at the moment

Would he be the best choice though?

• Advertisement

I'd be awful disappointed if Daly got the job

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Amazing how it can fall apart so quickly if that's the case. Two all Ireland finals in two years and the camp falls apart in year 3. Hard to fathom that. That's the last two managers that senior players have fallen out with if true.

Could it be a case that Cunningham had the donkey work done for him and he was in the right place at the right time.

Options seem limited enough to be honest. I'm struggling to think of names that would be available.

Why? Know a lad that played under him in Dublin and they had great time for him.

Could it be a case that Cunningham had the donkey work done for him and he was in the right place at the right time.

There's no doubt that Cunningham got the ****ty end of the stick. Decent guy who had made huge strides with the team and deserved better. Tactically was very poor in the final we collapsed against KK but the dressing room incident that day couldn't have helped matters.

If the draw of his native county could tempt him, Mattie Kenny should lead the shortlist. Don’t see it happening though.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If the draw of his native county could tempt him, Mattie Kenny should lead the shortlist. Don’t see it happening though.

As much as he'd want it I don't see him bailing on the Dubs after one year.

As much as he'd want it I don't see him bailing on the Dubs after one year.

I don’t either but could make the argument that you need to be selfish. Dublin are improving quick but a ways off winning the All Ireland. Chance to be an All Ireland winning manager doesn’t roll around often.

Why? Know a lad that played under him in Dublin and they had great time for him.

Very much a Ger Loughnane name that gets touted because they're in the public eye rather than success in the last 5 years. Only Daly hasn't the same level of accolades.

Mulqueen would be a good lad to bring on board imo.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt that Cunningham got the ****ty end of the stick. Decent guy who had made huge strides with the team and deserved better. Tactically was very poor in the final we collapsed against KK but the dressing room incident that day couldn't have helped matters.

Not the Harte incident ??

Advertisement