Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Galway lads are well entitled to be at the races if they want. They play an amateur sport and there season is over. Some lads would want to cop on going on as if there committing a crime if there pictured with a pint glass .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

spurshero wrote: »
    Galway lads are well entitled to be at the races if they want. They play an amateur sport and there season is over. Some lads would want to cop on going on as if there committing a crime if there pictured with a pint glass .
    True I wouldn't begrudge Comer and the lads a day out. Its a pity he didn't take the penalty instead of Silke he'd have drove ball and goalie into the back of the net such is his passion when he wears the Jersey. Himself and Conroy were a big loss early on in the championship imv

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Full round of club football and hurling fixtures over the next two weekends.

Very interesting to see that some championship games are now being fixed mid week and on Saturday mornings.

The respect for club players has reached absolute rock bottom and will be detrimental to the GAA in years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Very interesting to see that some championship games are now being fixed mid week and on Saturday mornings.

The respect for club players has reached absolute rock bottom and will be detrimental to the GAA in years to come

There are some rumours that for the hurling next week, some clubs have requested midweek/morning games due to relations/clubmates/gfs/wives etc playing in the camogie, and I imagine most want to go to/watch the AI hurling Sunday (with Galway also in the minor final that day of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

jr86 wrote: »
    There are some rumours that for the hurling next week, some clubs have requested midweek/morning games due to relations/clubmates/gfs/wives etc playing in the camogie, and I imagine most want to go to/watch the AI hurling Sunday (with Galway also in the minor final that day of course)

The list of fixtures for the hurling is up on the galway gaa website. There's a few intermediate matches down for Friday evening week and the rest of them are at 1 or 2:45 on the Saturday.

No games on Sunday according to the website anyways.

• Advertisement

Jeez some amount of matches on at the same times. Must be issues with getting one or two on mid-week. Unless they're still subject to change

Will be interesting to see how the matches go overall. Surely the summer has affected some teams hugely? Have heard a few sides barely trained the last while, or had loads of lads away, while others like Lrea, Cappy, Oranmore, Ballinderreen all played league finals recently and should have enormous momentum

RMAOK wrote: »
    The list of fixtures for the hurling is up on the galway gaa website. There's a few intermediate matches down for Friday evening week and the rest of them are at 1 or 2:45 on the Saturday.

No games on Sunday according to the website anyways.

And some Thursday evening at 19.00.

This weekend alot of football games on early on Saturday. Kilconly Corofin throwing in at 12.30 Saturday morning.

I've never seen times like this before in Galway champ tbh - well not on a widespread scale anyway. Very rarely you'll get early Saturday matches and plenty of games on a friday

It's explainable with Galway minors playing to an extent but I wonder is it something they might be looking to change to? As a result of feedback perhaps?

Friday night and early sat matches will make sense for many

I've never seen times like this before in Galway champ tbh - well not on a widespread scale anyway. Very rarely you'll get early Saturday matches and plenty of games on a friday

It's explainable with Galway minors playing to an extent but I wonder is it something they might be looking to change to? As a result of feedback perhaps?

Friday night and early sat matches will make sense for many

Hardly. A lot of people work Saturday particularly tradesmen.

Alot of teams have players working away, very difficult to be home to play midweek or on a Friday.

"Hardly" what? There are a load of club players who have personally told me themselves they would 100% prefer matches as early in the weekend as possible. They absolutely hate sunday matches, and don't like saturday evening as they're all day thinking about it and cannot relax at all for their weekend. Oh and of course championship nights on the beer are the best ones :)

I think its an interesting alternative idea if certain clubs wanted to agree on it. Particularly those who may not have many away in Dublin. Many jobs will be flexible enough these days though to allow lads out early on a friday anyway, on an odd occasion.

I'd say the amount of club players who work on a Saturday is extremely miniscule, bar younger fellas in retail maybe or lads like guards with random hours, but who could just as easily work anytime sunday too so that wouldn't be an issue. It'd hardly be an issue tradesmen getting excused a few weekends a year. Very few young lads going into trades anymore anyway

If done properly teams' times could be rotated each championship weekend anyway, and some could flat out propose against playing at certain times

Its clearly not an issue the next 2 weekends anyway - in fact I know one club are absolutely delighted to be fixed for the friday

• Advertisement

Corofin given a good workout by Annaghdown - who were down to 13

Comer played the full game and got a few scores. Corofin only led by 1 going into injury time, rallied to win by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

Comer played the full game and got a few scores. Corofin only led by 1 going into injury time, rallied to win by 3

Typical Annaghdown though, losing lads to silly cards, getting involved in pointless scuffles. It's seems it's not just Kerin who gets involved in that crap.

They've been able to run Corofin close the last three years but always end up falling short for silly reasons.

threeball wrote: »
    Typical Annaghdown though, losing lads to silly cards, getting involved in pointless scuffles. It's seems it's not just Kerin who gets involved in that crap.

They've been able to run Corofin close the last three years but always end up falling short for silly reasons.

Was a great chance as Corofin probably not too flat out yet. Disappointing for Annaghdown as they're basically out now

Dunmore beat Cortoon in intermediate too which is a bit of an upset. Its very hard to know who'll go up this year. 2 teams as well. It'll be more exciting than the senior!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

jr86 wrote:
    Was a great chance as Corofin probably not too flat out yet. Disappointing for Annaghdown as they're basically out now

Pity Annaghdown were so decimated by injuries. Did Duggan play? One of the few teams to run Corofin gone now. Aren't many left that are capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Would take that result with a pinch of salt. Corofin lined out without Liam
    Silke, Dylan Wall, Dylan McHugh, Gary Sice, Mike Farragher and Ian Burke (came on for 5ish mins at the end.) nearly half an all Ireland winning team and still won with Daithi Burke, Gavin Burke, Jason Leonard their best performers this evening. Dylan Canney put in a good shift too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The problem with the Friday evening matches is that a lot of clubs will have a couple of guys based in Dublin. These guys might be rushing down for training on a Friday evening all year. It'd be unfair to expect that of them so you'd need both clubs to agree.

Not great when you see Cortoon still relying on Derek Savage.

Would take that result with a pinch of salt. Corofin lined out without Liam
    Silke, Dylan Wall, Dylan McHugh, Gary Sice, Mike Farragher and Ian Burke (came on for 5ish mins at the end.) nearly half an all Ireland winning team and still won with Daithi Burke, Gavin Burke, Jason Leonard their best performers this evening. Dylan Canney put in a good shift too.

I don't think anyone is reading too much into it

I'd be beyond amazed if corofin were going anything near flat out at this stage. They had essentially qualified already and I'm sure enjoyed the summer and the races

It's still worth noting though when such a juggernaut like them is pushed to the brink.

I don't think anyone is reading too much into it

I'd be beyond amazed if corofin were going anything near flat out at this stage. They had essentially qualified already and I'm sure enjoyed the summer and the races

It's still worth noting though when such a juggernaut like them is pushed to the brink.

If a club in Galway stops them this year, it'll be Mountbellew

If a club in Galway stops them this year, it'll be Mountbellew

In fairness that's an outstanding mountbellew team in their own right and would win Connacht imo if you took out Corofin

Would have a few county titles in any other era. May break for them some year though

In fairness that's an outstanding mountbellew team in their own right and would win Connacht imo if you took out Corofin

Would have a few county titles in any other era. May break for them some year though

Yeah they're excellent. I still believe they showed far too much respect to Corofin in last years final by adopting tactics to thwart Corofin rather than play to their own strengths.

• Advertisement

If you go through the list of players Moycullen seem to be punching very much below there weight.

Wynne
    Bradshaw
    Sean Kelly
    Paul Kelly
    Cooke
    Lydon
    Dessie Conneely

They don't have him yet but that minor midfielder looks an exceptional talent. You'd think they should be competing at the latter stages a bit more often. I've probably left a few out too.

Dunmore beat Cortoon in intermediate too which is a bit of an upset. Its very hard to know who'll go up this year. 2 teams as well. It'll be more exciting than the senior!

Hard to feel sorry for them when they had two lads sent off. Mindless stuff and they have a habit of it.
    Two years ago in the semi they had Corofin beaten if they got half a shift out of Comer but he looked completely disinterested. Didn't try a leg all game. Don't know if he was injured but if he was then anyone else would have helped them over the line that day. Duggan put in a performance that day and was in the Galway set up shortly after.

I agree that Mountbellew are a fine side. Second best in Connaught, possibly would give the all ireland a good rattle if not for Corofin. Sitting deep and defending against Corofin is a bad tactic though, they're too streetwise and patient. Be great to see them go toe to toe as on paper they have better footballers but the Corofin system is better honed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I wonder will they get the same abuse for a 10 point loss as we got for a 9 point loss last year. Similar domination of the first half, we kicked away 1-7, Dubs shot the lights out (didn't in first half at all today) and took control in the 3rd quarter as usual. Will be a very different media narrative of course

If you go through the list of players Moycullen seem to be punching very much below there weight.

Wynne
    Bradshaw
    Sean Kelly
    Paul Kelly
    Cooke
    Lydon
    Dessie Conneely

They don't have him yet but that minor midfielder looks an exceptional talent. You'd think they should be competing at the latter stages a bit more often. I've probably left a few out too.

You've sprung them into action :)

Great win v mbellew

You've sprung them into action :)

Great win v mbellew

No that was me after saying how good Mountbellew are! Teams often make me look like an idiot like that ;).

Serious win for them and tightens up that group.

jr86 wrote:
    You've sprung them into action

jr86 wrote:
    Great win v mbellew

Should of done the lotto! I think both teams should be in the latter stages. Was hoping to see the games in Athenry... I won't pass too much comment but after I heard it was off I decided to go to a local watering hole in Athenry and watch the Mayo match. When it was over I came back to grab the tractor and with the gates of Kenny Park wide open I went in for a look. Pitch looked like a carpet. Have to wonder the the very hurling leaning Kenny Park committee decide the hurling games on next weekend was more important than today's games.

Or maybe I'm just fond of conspiracy theories!

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I wonder will they get the same abuse for a 10 point loss as we got for a 9 point loss last year. Similar domination of the first half, we kicked away 1-7, Dubs shot the lights out (didn't in first half at all today) and took control in the 3rd quarter as usual. Will be a very different media narrative of course

Not a chance. Media darlings. Newstalk spend 7/8ths of their time talking about them if they win and the same wondering why they lost when they get put to the sword.

Should of done the lotto! I think both teams should be in the latter stages. Was hoping to see the games in Athenry... I won't pass too much comment but after I heard it was off I decided to go to a local watering hole in Athenry and watch the Mayo match. When it was over I came back to grab the tractor and with the gates of Kenny Park wide open I went in for a look. Pitch looked like a carpet. Have to wonder the the very hurling leaning Kenny Park committee decide the hurling games on next weekend was more important than today's games.

Or maybe I'm just fond of conspiracy theories!

Matches generally aren't permitted to go ahead there in bad conditions like today regardless of code.

Very protective of the pitch there, excellent pitch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    Not a chance. Media darlings. Newstalk spend 7/8ths of their time talking about them if they win and the same wondering why they lost when they get put to the sword.

Wouldn't be too glib about it. Mayo lost with honour today; played Dubs to a standstill in the first half; Dublin emerged after half-time and played a spell of football as well as any I've ever seen against a team out on it's feet, playing nearly 8 weeks on the trot. Had we been there, we'd have been destroyed in the first half alone. We've regressed so much in 12 months it's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Mayo were genuinely very good in the first half today but so were Galway last year in their own way and Galway without a doubt left way more scores behind them last year before half time. Granted the Dubs were half asleep as they were early on today.

Ultimately same result. Both trounced utterly after half time.

Advertisement