Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

Yes they are a nice bunch, but I think changing it to u17 is a bit tippy tappy and doesn't have the same physicality as u18. So it's very hard to predict how they will go by the time they are 21 which is 5 years time. John cooney and mcglynn look like the players that would make good senior hurlers. Strong on the ball in the air and ground and do the simple things well. Mcdonagh is a great prospect but like donal o shea last year, will he be able make the adjustments to the more physical demands of senior hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

cosatron wrote: »
    Yes they are a nice bunch, but I think changing it to u17 is a bit tippy tappy and doesn't have the same physicality as u18. So it's very hard to predict how they will go by the time they are 21 which is 5 years time. John cooney and mcglynn look like the players that would make good senior hurlers. Strong on the ball in the air and ground and do the simple things well. Mcdonagh is a great prospect but like donal o shea last year, will he be able make the adjustments to the more physical demands of senior hurling.

They have all that's required so far to be great Hurlers. The rest should be the easy bit but we constantly mess it up. Get the last 3 minor teams into a proper development structure and slowly elimate the lads who don't have the aptitude or interest to keep going with S&C plus skills development until they're 21 to 22.

You need these guys to be playing and training with each other regularly as possible as that's what will increase the quality, not sitting back and hoping they keep shining at club level. The club scene is so messed up fixtures wise you'll just get loads losing interest. We should have 80 to 100 lads going through that system at any one time. Same for football

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

Any update on senior management staying or going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Robson99 wrote: »

Heard they were staying . Why would they go unless they wanted out themselves . Will have to try and bring in some new blood next year though

spurshero wrote: »

Heard they were staying . Why would they go unless they wanted out themselves . Will have to try and bring in some new blood next year though
    I heard his gone. Relationship with the board completely broken down. That's the word on the playground.

• Advertisement

I heard his gone. Relationship with the board completely broken down. That's the word on the playground.

If that's true I don't know how Kevin Walsh is still in a job after 5yrs of nothing. At least Micheal delivered an all Ireland win and almost a back to back.

You could well be right . Was a few weeks ago I heard he was staying lots could have happened sense . You would imagine if was going to go he would soon though and let a new manager see club championship games . Personally I would like him to stay as I don’t think he had s lot of luck this season . As I Have already said though we need few new faces pushing for places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Didn't hear that rumour, and honestly a lot of what you hear really is rumour.

MfMan wrote: »

Didn't hear that rumour, and honestly a lot of what you hear really is rumour.
    Rumour has it, that MD is only talking to 1 board member, the board have asked for MD to change around his backroom team, which I kinda agree with, in the hope that if he doesn't agree to this that he might walk away. Meanwhile Kevin Walsh is great buddies with the board and can stay in charge as long as he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Who would be in line to replace md

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

kala85 wrote: »
    Who would be in line to replace md

Good question

Good question

What other options are available? Davy fitz?

The county board should have got eamon o shea in as a coach when he was no longer wit tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Pat Gilroy. Wants to be a dual football / hurling winner. Could actually achieve that with Galway

Rumour has it, that MD is only talking to 1 board member, the board have asked for MD to change around his backroom team, which I kinda agree with, in the hope that if he doesn't agree to this that he might walk away. Meanwhile Kevin Walsh is great buddies with the board and can stay in charge as long as he wants
    That is complete nonsense . Bar an all Ireland final next year Walsh is Defo gone . He would be gone this year only he has year left on contract

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Pat Gilroy. Wants to be a dual football / hurling winner. Could actually achieve that with Galway

No chance of gilroy in either . He’s very busy work wise

Who wants donoughe out? He has done very well overall I think. We have only 5 all Ireland’s in our history . People seem to think that we should win it every year not that simple .

I think MD biggest issue is his level favouritism and slowness on the line and for the life of me, I dont understand why they insisting on trying to implement a short passing game this year, when we have good strikers of the ball and forwards who trive on fast ball into space. To be honest I would like a freshening up via a new backroom team or new man at the helm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Donoghue tried new names this year but lads like Coyne and Bleahane just aren't ready yet.

If he goes it's his own choice but he deserves a great deal of respect for bringing these lads the next step up from Cunningham's era.

Style of play needs to be changed from 2017 as other teams haved copped onto it.

He also played the same team through the league in 2018 and in 2019 to a lesser extent when he would be better off blooding and trying to find a few more players and resting the old reliables. Canning for example nearly played every league game when I think it would be better off to have him rested.

Galway need a better panel.

Surely a county the size of galway with all the hurling clubs in it and all the players in it there must be at least 2 or 3 new good hurlers that could be brought into the panel. But someone needs to go to the club games and find them.

Galway should look at all clubs not just senior clubs for these hurlers. Get them in over the winter and have trial matches between themselves like what davy did with wexford and pat gilroy did with dublin hurlers when he took over.

Remember Michael Coleman, i dont think he was hurling senior club when Farrell found him. Tom kenny in cork only with a junior or intermediate club.

I dont think Galway management have been as tactically aware as other teams. However if they were still in the championship they could have run tipp tight.

Galway have a great chance next year if they can improve the way they play and more importantly find or unearth a few more players,and find better full backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Anyone get to any club games over the weekend?

No real surprises. Cappy snuck it against Gort - who lost Harte in the first half - at the death. Turlough, Mellows, Thomas's, sarsfields and Lrea had facile enough wins as expected in each case

Senior B is probably more exciting. Ahascragh, Abbey and Beagh look likely to be in a 3 way battle to avoid relegation. Hard to believe Oranmore are only in their first year in senior, they're heading straight up to Senior A as things stand, and could well go very deep in the championship overall. I still think Athenry might be a dark horse to go far also, despite losing to them at the weekend.

Wide open championship though. Lrea and Turlough my two favourites at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

jr86 wrote: »
    Anyone get to any club games over the weekend?

No real surprises. Cappy snuck it against Gort - who lost Harte in the first half - at the death. Turlough, Mellows, Thomas's, sarsfields and Lrea had facile enough wins as expected in each case

Senior B is probably more exciting. Ahascragh, Abbey and Beagh look likely to be in a 3 way battle to avoid relegation. Hard to believe Oranmore are only in their first year in senior, they're heading straight up to Senior A as things stand, and could well go very deep in the championship overall. I still think Athenry might be a dark horse to go far also, despite losing to them at the weekend.

Wide open championship though. Lrea and Turlough my two favourites at present

Was in Gort Saturday. First game was poor enough. Sarsfields probably just about deserved it. Joseph Cooney is back in Australia, Kevin Cooney was quiet but it seems he's back from a recent health scare. Second game much better. Competitive first half but Loughrea have put a decent side together again. Expected Turlough to win a bit easier but I would still have them as slight favourites. Their recent implosions in knock out stages makes it hard to have faith in them. After that Mellows, Gort (despite the loss) and Thomas's. I'd give Cappy and Clarenbridge outside bets.

Final thing it was great to hear Eanna Burke was back hurling for St Thomas's.

That is complete nonsense . Bar an all Ireland final next year Walsh is Defo gone . He would be gone this year only he has year left on contract

He should be gone regardless. The man is going backwards faster than an Olympic rower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Going around that Donoghue is gone. Hope it’s just rumours, would be a bad move. County board are a bunch of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭cson

kala85 wrote: »
    Canning for example nearly played every league game when I think it would be better off to have him rested.

Flogging Joe throughout the league to where he got injured against Waterford was the sinking of Galway this year. No doubt they'd have gotten over the line against Wexford with him (and possible Dublin too, accepted that he was on the field for some of that game).

Team is still young but needs competition, more or less the same since the run to the semi in 2016. In contrast Cody was always able to blood 2/3 players each year to that great Kilkenny team of the 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

cson wrote: »
    Flogging Joe throughout the league to where he got injured against Waterford was the sinking of Galway this year. No doubt they'd have gotten over the line against Wexford with him (and possible Dublin too, accepted that he was on the field for some of that game).

Team is still young but needs competition, more or less the same since the run to the semi in 2016. In contrast Cody was always able to blood 2/3 players each year to that great Kilkenny team of the 2010s.

Wasn’t Canning rested against Offaly in the league the round before the injury? If I recall correctly remember looking at it and he had played one league game in a month before his injury, doesn’t seem like flogging.

It’s alright saying competition is needed but if the younger players haven’t developed sufficiently, be it skill wise or
    physically there’s not a lot that can be done.

Getting rid of Donoghue after one disappointing season, which was also kind of a freak season in that the points gained would be enough ninety plus percent of the time would be an idiotic move by the County Board. So it’s probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Going around that Donoghue is gone. Hope it’s just rumours, would be a bad move. County board are a bunch of clowns.

John Fogarty has tweeted that a hurling management team is going in the next 24 hours and it's not KK or Tipp.

It won't be Limerick either. Meyler is already gone from Cork. Fanning is already gone from Waterford. It won't be Mattie Kenny in Dublin. Doubt it's Davy.

Has to be either Galway or Clare.

The Galway county board have proven themselves to be a bunch of incompetent, egotistical idiots on more than one occasion so it's more than likely true. Where they go from here is anyone's guess. Getting rid of Donoghue and keeping Walsh beats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

There was talk of player unrest. Some seniors players were not going to play for MD next yr

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

There was talk of player unrest. Some seniors players were not going to play for MD next yr

Just confirmed MD has stepped down

• Advertisement

Corbother wrote: »
    Just confirmed MD has stepped down

He might be as well off. Serious time commitment required and he has given plenty of commitment to the cause over the last number of years.

Who will replace him is the big question and will they be any better?

Advertisement