Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

burger1979 wrote: »
    have you gotten their gear before? whats is like? Was looking at their site and some of the jerseys are nice.

I have heaps of it here. Very high quality gear. Always quick deliveries too. Once I think I got it next day from Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

G1032 wrote: »
    I contacted CSS again today. They replied telling me that they don't know when the Shimano order will be in. Order has been cancelled now and I've been refunded.

Not excusing them but to be fair there could something in this. I've been tracking shimano parts on bike discount and they've been constantly saying 'due in six 6 weeks' the last 3 months or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

prunudo wrote: »
    Not excusing them but to be fair there could something in this. I've been tracking shimano parts on bike discount and they've been constantly saying 'due in six 6 weeks' the last 3 months or more.

Some opinion here that supply chain issues due to last a while yet...

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2020/12/16/down-under-prediction-2021-bike-supply-which-probably-applies-here-well

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

CramCycle wrote: »
    How are CRC absorbing costs, are they paying revenue directly or are they getting there courier to send back the costs to them. Seems very odd, once it goes over 150€ they have to pay custom duty. I presume that's why they have stopped selling bikes to us so as to avoid dumping tax.
    They are paying IE vat, I haven't ordered anything over 150 so dont know, but they were interviewed by bikeradar or roadcc and they said they were covering costs so the consumer wouldn't be hit with surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's fine as long as they're deducting UK VAT. I assume they are.

Some places are not however, so the potential for VAT being applied twice is very real.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »

Some places are not however, so the potential for VAT being applied twice is very real.
    They are deducting the IE vat and paying it to Revenue. The larger retailers are doing this years for most EU and non-EU countries

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My understanding is Shmano are not expanding their production facilities but are cutting down internally to comply with Covid restrictions for the safety of their workers, which means that we have less Shimano components being made, and have been this way for many months, alongside the increased demand, this will quite likely last quite some time. I heard one source site a capacity of about 50% of previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

They are deducting the IE vat and paying it to Revenue. The larger retailers are doing this years for most EU and non-EU countries

but the import duty on greater than e150 items?

tunney wrote: »
    but the import duty on greater than e150 items?
    Yep, although I had a few items on CRC wishlist that have gone up in price this week, 1700 wheelset is now 2005, so its not quite 'absorbing', but at least the price you see (after selecting your country) is what you pay

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yep, although I had a few items on CRC wishlist that have gone up in price this week, 1700 wheelset is now 2005, so its not quite 'absorbing', but at least the price you see (after selecting your country) is what you pay
    yeah, no - I won't pay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

They haven’t been the price leader for a while from what I can see. As it’s all about price with the online discounters, and with Brexit making them less competitive for anything over 150 euro, this will hit their EU sales hard.

As an aside, and knowing that it would be a while before many of us could go, how do you order into the B+M CRC shop in Belfast. Do they have an email or take phone calls. Just thinking for the price difference, you would be better taking the day and going up for a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

^^^
    It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for Shimano parts. They're celebrating 100 years this year, have just been announced as new service suppport for the Tour/ASO events, and it's expected that we'll see a new Dura Ace groupset launched before July.

It would be somewhat ironic if they had a ready supply of new, expensive Dura Ace and a shortage of the cheaper parts and groupsets. It was the other way round with the last iteration of DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Covid and Brexit have been a perfect storm to feck with my new build! Have a new frame sitting a few months now waiting on Di2 parts to become available and as above seems that there wont be any Shimano parts for a good while! Ive also been tracking bike-discount and had emailed them but they say the 6 weeks thing is to mean there will be no update for at least 6 weeks, not that they will have stock in 6 week! Ive been tracking them since November

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

As an aside, and knowing that it would be a while before many of us could go, how do you order into the B+M CRC shop in Belfast. Do they have an email or take phone calls. Just thinking for the price difference, you would be better taking the day and going up for a day trip.

reading the cycling weekly article on brexit effects and the origin of goods rule where if its less 45% eu origin even if it comes in form the eu its going to be charged at 14% import duty. looks like most bike shops are expecting a 10 -20% price hike once existing stock is cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Planetx I think I saw somewhere aren't deducting UK VAT. So if you order a bike from them, a fair whack extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Ordered disc brake rotors from Mantel at 10 this morning, just got an email to say they have been shipped. Hopefully delivery doesn't take too long but can't argue with that so far. Mantel just got in some disc brake rotors if anyone is looking, been looking myself for around a month now and no where had them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CRCWiggle are absorbing costs. Mantel, Deporvillage and Alltricks have decent clothing range, but try cycletribe.ie first, as clothes seems to be their thing.
    Delays are worse from UK but there are also delays from EU. Galibier and Victorychimp are in NI btw

Great shout. Arrived in 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Only seeing this now. Am, the issue I had wasn't that there was a delay with the delivery as such. It was that they had the part listed as in stock when I ordered it. 2 weeks later they told me they don't know when they'll have it in stock...........
    As it happens, I was talking to a work colleague and he had an old 5800 FD which he's given me. So it worked out well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

CRCWiggle are absorbing costs. Mantel, Deporvillage and Alltricks have decent clothing range, but try cycletribe.ie first, as clothes seems to be their thing.
    Delays are worse from UK but there are also delays from EU. Galibier and Victorychimp are in NI btw
    How are CRC absorbing costs, are they paying revenue directly or are they getting there courier to send back the costs to them. Seems very odd, once it goes over 150€ they have to pay custom duty. I presume that's why they have stopped selling bikes to us so as to avoid dumping tax.
    They are paying IE vat, I haven't ordered anything over 150 so dont know, but they were interviewed by bikeradar or roadcc and they said they were covering costs so the consumer wouldn't be hit with surprises.
    It has been a law for as long as i know that any company who supplies goods direct to Ireland over the threshold of about €30k per year must charge Irish VAT.

Anyway, I want to order something from Chain Reaction which has just come into stock. Value is €107. Can't seem to source anywhere else except the LBS who want almost double the price.
    I'm just wondering what the story is with Brexit now and if I am likely to be hit with some kind of an excise duty or import charge. I see above that orders under €150 should be OK, but I'm a skeptic! :D

Has anyone actually ordered from Chain Reaction since Brexit?

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    It has been a law for as long as i know that any company who supplies goods direct to Ireland over the threshold of about €30k per year must charge Irish VAT.

Anyway, I want to order something from Chain Reaction which has just come into stock. Value is €107. Can't seem to source anywhere else except the LBS who want almost double the price.
    I'm just wondering what the story is with Brexit now and if I am likely to be hit with some kind of an excise duty or import charge. I see above that orders under €150 should be OK, but I'm a skeptic! :D

Has anyone actually ordered from Chain Reaction since Brexit?

You will be fine, CRC have confirmed by email to customers that the price you pay is the price you pay, no extra duties at the door. This said you will still have to deal with Fastway but that's the only downside.

You will be fine, CRC have confirmed by email to customers that the price you pay is the price you pay, no extra duties at the door. This said you will still have to deal with Fastway but that's the only downside.

Thanks .
    Order placed just there. I’m in no rush.

Never realised till just there that CRC are part of Wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

So .... do ye reckon that I good to buy €50 worth of stuff from Wiggle.co.uk without getting hit for Vat at 21% on delivery. So what I pay online is covering all costs of importing to Ireland??

Well I’ll keep you posted on mine. Shipped today apparently

Masala wrote: »
    So .... do ye reckon that I good to buy €50 worth of stuff from Wiggle.co.uk without getting hit for Vat at 21% on delivery. So what I pay online is covering all costs of importing to Ireland??

Yep, that's what they have said

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

Sigma sports absorbing costs! ordered shoes 330 quid - delivered quickly - no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

S_D wrote: »
    Sigma sports absorbing costs! ordered shoes 330 quid - delivered quickly - no issues

Ya. I was on the online chat with them yesterday. Looking for Spatz Roadman overshoes. They said they'll be back in stock in 3 weeks and there'll be no vat charged on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Have had few deliveries finally arrived over last 2wks, CRC, Merlin, Deportvillage, Alltricks and Starbike. No charges lamped on thankfully from the UK sourced (CRC and Merlin). Dunno if that’s luck or what though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

S_D wrote: »

Just to be clear, nobody is 'absorbing' costs, they are 'including' costs :)

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, nobody is 'absorbing' costs, they are 'including' costs :)

How is it any different? Unless they have stuck the prices of the items up by the increased taxes they are absorbing....... but can they really do that because they ship a small percentage of their sales to EU

Advertisement