Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Seve OB wrote: »
    How is it any different? Unless they have stuck the prices of the items up by the increased taxes they are absorbing....... but can they really do that because they ship a small percentage of their sales to EU

I'd imagine if you were buying in the UK there'd be a marked difference in pricing. I can't see it being long before CRC/Wiggle set up a European trading base, I'm sure it's an absolute head ache for them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd imagine if you were buying in the UK there'd be a marked difference in pricing. I can't see it being long before CRC/Wiggle set up a European trading base, I'm sure it's an absolute head ache for them.
    Did they not have a base or something in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Did they not have a base or something in NI?

They have a store front but I think everything is shipped in from the UK since they closed the warehouses a couple of years ago. A poor oversight on their part I'd have thought and I recall there was local outrage over it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Just to be clear, nobody is 'absorbing' costs, they are 'including' costs :)
    Indeed but one is a better marketing word than the other.
    How is it any different? Unless they have stuck the prices of the items up by the increased taxes they are absorbing....... but can they really do that because they ship a small percentage of their sales to EU
    That's exactly what they do, it is why if you try and buy from them but have left the country as somewhere else or your cookies don't auto identify you as being in Ireland, the price changes as soon as you put in the delivery address. Wiggle has done this for years before Brexit, and you could get different prices by switching the location button at the top. They used to reason it was a currency differential but that wasn't true. CRC went downhill once they transferred over fully to Wiggle and got rid of the warehouse and customer service team up north. It took a few years but it is what it is. Wiggle having bought out their main local competition at the time quickly went down the same route, a bit quicker and traded on their name. Unless you are in a rush (which they ruined by changing from An Post to Fastway), it is always better to order from the continent or an LBS IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have to say, Brexit, for all it's downsides, has saved me a fortune. pre Brexit, I would randomly browse the various cycling sites and amazon a couple of times a week, see something shiny and impulsively buy it. All that stopped since Jan 1.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

lennymc wrote: »
    I have to say, Brexit, for all it's downsides, has saved me a fortune. pre Brexit, I would randomly browse the various cycling sites and amazon a couple of times a week, see something shiny and impulsively buy it. All that stopped since Jan 1.....

Same here. Haven't bothered with Amazon since Jan 1 and I've unsubscribed from most if not all UK retailers. If I need anything now I'll go to EU sites but only if neccessary rather than the previous impulse purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Amazon has been fine for me. Any delays at the turn of the year seem to have gone. Stuff I ordered on Tuesday last week, arrived on Friday, after originally giving a "delivery by" of the 5th Feb.

But I've also unsubscribed from most other UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ordered chamois cream through CRC which is now €2 cheaper per container since Brexit. Delivery eta of 8 days which is fair.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got an email from Stolen Goat cycling clothing this morning to inform me that, until further notice, they are not shipping to EU customers...
    Well, we stuck it out longer than many other small UK based businesses, but it is with a heavy heart that we have now (temporarily) decided to turn off shipping to EU customers.

There is currently just too much bureaucracy and red tape involved and the worst of it is that all the fees involved are being charged to the end customer – you guys. This then reflects badly on us and ultimately a lot of customers are understandably refusing the packages. So we’re paying in both directions with no upside.

So long but not farewell //
    We see this as a short gap in our relationship, it’s definitely not forever and we are already working on solutions to make this as pain free as possible for you guys. Bear with us, we are a small business so we don’t have unlimited resources but we will get there as quickly as we can.

Sign up for our newsletter to stay connected with us and to receive EU shipping updates, as and when we have them.

What about me… I live in the EU and I really, really want something…?
    If you’re in the EU (congratulations) and there’s something you really want and you accept that your package will probably be delayed and come loaded with import duties and fees then feel free to get in touch (help@stolengoat.com) and we will work something out with you on a one to one basis.

Many thanks for your patience from all of us at SG

Tim x
    https://stolengoat.com/2021/01/a-notice-to-our-eu-customers/?mc_cid=ff989aa3c0&mc_eid=cfcb50e68d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Waiting on a shipment of spd shoes from SportOkay in Austria since the 2nd Jan. Tracking shows its at the airport in Austria since 12th Jan.
    I bet its stuck in the UK somewhere if I was a betting man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Got an email from Stolen Goat cycling clothing this morning to inform me that, until further notice, they are not shipping to EU customers...

https://stolengoat.com/2021/01/a-notice-to-our-eu-customers/?mc_cid=ff989aa3c0&mc_eid=cfcb50e68d

There's a good business opportunity for someone to set up EU hubs for a lot of these people. So much stuff is probably imported that duty is paid on import anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Hi all,

Anybody know if there will be hidden charges for Irish customers ordering online from the UK?

I'm looking at a product that is around the €400 mark from Wiggle. They state that all taxes and duties are included but I've heard stories of people being hit with additional costs by the delivery company when products are delivered. Anyone got any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058143373/21/#post116019695

It's a long thread, but pretty much any and all info, along with the experience of people actually buying, is in there

Posted this in another thread but was directed here...

I'm looking at a product that is around the €400 mark from Wiggle. They state that all taxes and duties are included but I've heard stories of people being hit with additional costs by the delivery company when products are delivered. Anyone got any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Tim76 wrote: »
    Posted this in another thread but was directed here...

it is all down to the paperwork. if it is done right there will no surprise charges.

by now most have figured out what it needs to be

tunney wrote: »
    it is all down to the paperwork. if it is done right there will no surprise charges.

by now most have figured out what it needs to be

Cheers for the reply.

Do you know if Wiggle are one of the companies that are filling out correct paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cheers for the reply.

Do you know if Wiggle are one of the companies that are filling out correct paperwork?

i don't have first hand experience of wiggle.
    i do have first hand experience of another company (not bike related) that made a cock of it and has since refunded the duties that should not have been levied.

if in doubt email them and get it in writing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cheers for the reply.

Wiggle claim the price you pay on their site is the price you pay and you will not be hit by any hidden charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

CramCycle wrote: »
    Wiggle claim the price you pay on their site is the price you pay and you will not be hit by any hidden charges.

Hi ..... I order an item for €50++ and paid the price as displayed.

When I get delivery I will come back and update as to what happened with VAT/Customs etc if there is any charges etc. (I dont expect delivery for at least 2-3 weeks with the way things are going! )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

CramCycle wrote: »
    You will be fine, CRC have confirmed by email to customers that the price you pay is the price you pay, no extra duties at the door. This said you will still have to deal with Fastway but that's the only downside.
    Thanks .
    Order placed just there. I’m in no rush.

Never realised till just there that CRC are part of Wiggle.

Came today at 2pm. Couldn’t get better service than that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi all,

Anybody know if there will be hidden charges for Irish customers ordering online from the UK?

I recently ordered a set of Garmin sensors, around €65 and there were no other charges. They say on their site that the price you see is the price you pay, no additional customs or vat charges. Was delivered by Fastway, no customs declaration on the box, the driver didnt even ring the doorbell, just left it on the ground outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Just to be clear, nobody is 'absorbing' costs, they are 'including' costs :)

Yes sorry, but still cheaper than this side of the pond!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

G1032 wrote: »
    Ya. I was on the online chat with them yesterday. Looking for Spatz Roadman overshoes. They said they'll be back in stock in 3 weeks and there'll be no vat charged on delivery.

Base2race is cheapest for those btw I found!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭G1032

So orders from Europe are coming through in good time now.

Ordered from Ekoi on Thursday night and that arrived yesterday.
    Ordered from Bike Components on Friday last and that order arrived today.

Pretty impressive I think. Excellent service from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Where are Ekoi based?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my bike components order
    ordered 15 jan
    sat in cologne from 16 to 22 jan delivered 25 jan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭G1032

G1032 wrote: »

On Jan 4th I placed an order with CSS. It's the only order I've placed since Brexit that hasn't arrived. The only order I placed with an Irish shop. Why bother trying to support local when that's the service offered. Mailed them this morning asking for a refund and to cancel the order altogether. Needless to say I got no reply.

So, credit where it's due.............
    Placed an order again with CSS, my head screaming at me not to do it, but I did anyway.
    Tuesday afternoon I placed the order. And it arrived with Fastway today.
    So I gave them a second chance and they've come up trumps so credit to CSS now. Good service this time and it'll bring me back there again I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Are you sure that wasn't Fartway causing you the problems?

There is a common theme here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CRC order submitted Monday & delivered by Fastway this morning, shocked was an understatement.

Advertisement