Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

half the order from crc arrived yesterday no charges (well it was ordered before jan1st)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

half the order from crc arrived yesterday no charges (well it was ordered before jan1st)

Same. Fastway showed up- no charges. Ordered prior to the 1st so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭G1032

CRC order was delivered yesterday. No charges (but was ordered on 31st)
    My order from Hambini from 6th Jan is out for delivery with An Post. No word yet about VAT charges but we'll see when they deliver.

On another note
    Ordered a front derailleur from cyclesuperstore on Jan 4th. Trying to buy from Irish stores if prices are reasonable.
    The derailleur was showing as in stock when I ordered it.
    Mailed them yesterday to see where it was and they replied today telling me they are waiting on an order from Shimano to come in.
    That's not good enough. Showing items as in stock when they're not so you won't bring your custom elsewhere. Bad business. Putting me right off ordering from them again, especially if it's something I need relatively urgently. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

On CRC today, if I change destination form UK to Ireland, i get a greatly reduced selection of bikes available. Selecting MTBs alone changes fro 163 to 33. Obviously most stuff is out of stock, but you cant even view it with Ireland selected. This seems to apply to other EU countries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The cyclesuperstore website is a complete joke. Never believe anything it tells you. It's been the same for years, the amount of wasted journeys friends and myself have made to the store thinking they had stock of products is beyond a joke.
    Luckily I worked around the corner from the shop so wasn't too bad but I pity the people that make longer journeys to the store only to find out they've fallen foul of that website.

• Advertisement

The cyclesuperstore website is a complete joke. Never believe anything it tells you. It's been the same for years, the amount of wasted journeys friends and myself have made to the store thinking they had stock of products is beyond a joke.
    Luckily I worked around the corner from the shop so wasn't too bad but I pity the people that make longer journeys to the store only to find out they've fallen foul of that website.

Cheers! Never knew that. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

G1032 wrote: »
    Cheers! Never knew that. Lesson learned.
    Me too, nearly pulled the trigger on service parts as they were "in stock" and posting. Will hang fire now!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

CRC delivery today from Fastway. Ordered 2nd Jan and dispatched on 4th. No Vat. Value was €95.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surprises me, cos the owner used to be absolutely fastidious about stock control. He had a proper computerised stock database as far back as 1995, which was rare for a relatively small shop.
    If you built a bike and put it onto the shop floor before he gave you a stock tag for it, he'd go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

struggling to understand vat etc after brexit

if i order a bike from bowman cycles will i be charged VAT in the UK and then have to pay VAT on delivery
    or should Bowman invoice me with no VAT to Irish address

help appreciated

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

wpd wrote: »

if i order a bike from bowman cycles will i be charged VAT in the UK and then have to pay VAT on delivery

help appreciated

thanks

I'm not sure about UK/Brexit tax but when I ordered my Rose, I was living in Switzerland and I didn't pay the German tax, just the Swiss one. Rose did this for me at source (saved me 9%, so I was delighted)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

G1032 wrote: »
    On another note
    Ordered a front derailleur from cyclesuperstore on Jan 4th. Trying to buy from Irish stores if prices are reasonable.
    The derailleur was showing as in stock when I ordered it.
    Mailed them yesterday to see where it was and they replied today telling me they are waiting on an order from Shimano to come in.
    That's not good enough. Showing items as in stock when they're not so you won't bring your custom elsewhere. Bad business. Putting me right off ordering from them again, especially if it's something I need relatively urgently. :mad:
    Most LBSs should stock 10/11 speed front derailleurs if you need it urgently.
    Tbf though supply systems for lbss are not great atm as wholesalers are mostly sold out.
    Marrey bikes are good for next day delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

help appreciated

thanks

YMMV, caveat emptor and usual disclaimers apply - this is my interpretation of the rules.

Uk should not charge vat, and you will then be liable for irish vat. I would confirm that with Bowman first tho, as some UK companies have not looked into the intricacies of trade after brexit. If the frame is not produced in the UK, you may also be subject to rules of origin tariffs, which is about 14% on bike frames iirc.

Really, bowman should be able to answer you on the vat, but who knows on the rules of origin stuff. That comes down to where the tubing was manufactured, revenue, codes & percentages. it's a mess. A lot of the issues are that at the moment, things are imported to UK from outside of UK, where value is added, and then presented for exportation to the eu. Because of rules of origin, there needs to be a value add above a certain % for the item to be considered of UK oroigin, and hence tariff free. If the value add in UK is below the %, then the item is considered as imported from outside the EU/UK and the applicable tariff is charged.

UK used to be a hub for a lot of EU deliveries, where they would import things from outside of the bloc, and then distribute. This is no longer possible due to rules of origin, with the result that UK items cannot be moved freely throughout the EU. It's a mess (hence the supply chain issues, retailers not selling into/out of the uk, lack of food in some shops etc)

edit, so, it appears that bowman frames are made in Taiwan, which afaik, would attract a 14% tariff. The Bowman site says rest of world Price is 662.50 (ex taxes), with shipping of 25.

Rough calculations would suggest the following ball park cost for this frame shipped, and taxed including duty etc to Ireland.

662.50+25 converted to Euro is 770.30
    add duty of 14% to give 878.14
    add 21% VAT = 1062.55

So, if those calculations are correct (i think they are ball park, but again, im no expert), you could be hit with a bill of about 300 euros when the frame lands, covering vat & duties.

for reference, the current UK price is equivalent to about 890 euros, which would have been the price you would pay last year under the eu rules. It's about 17% more expensive to buy now (if my maths are correct)

Tony04 wrote: »
    Most LBSs should stock 10/11 speed front derailleurs if you need it urgently.
    Tbf though supply systems for lbss are not great atm as wholesalers are mostly sold out.
    Marrey bikes are good for next day delivery

I called to Marrey Bikes in person to buy the derailleur. It was showing as in stock there too. 30 minute drive to the shop only to be told they had no 11 speed derailleur in stock. I showed them the webpage detailing the derailleur in stock. "Well, we don't have any here"

I had actually intended giving them the bike to install it and see if they could have a look at another issue I was having with the bike. Had the bike in the shop with me. I was told before I left that even if they did have the derailleur they wouldn't fit it for me because the bike wasn't bought there.............. I've given them enough custom even if that particular bike wasn't bought there. Irish bike shops not doing themselves any favours lately it seems

In other news :) my bearings arrived from Hambini. Customs declaration on the back. No vat charged. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

lennymc wrote: »
    YMMV, caveat emptor and usual disclaimers apply - this is my interpretation of the rules.

Uk should not charge vat, and you will then be liable for irish vat. I would confirm that with Bowman first tho, as some UK companies have not looked into the intricacies of trade after brexit. If the frame is not produced in the UK, you may also be subject to rules of origin tariffs, which is about 14% on bike frames iirc.

Really, bowman should be able to answer you on the vat, but who knows on the rules of origin stuff. That comes down to where the tubing was manufactured, revenue, codes & percentages. it's a mess. A lot of the issues are that at the moment, things are imported to UK from outside of UK, where value is added, and then presented for exportation to the eu. Because of rules of origin, there needs to be a value add above a certain % for the item to be considered of UK oroigin, and hence tariff free. If the value add in UK is below the %, then the item is considered as imported from outside the EU/UK and the applicable tariff is charged.

UK used to be a hub for a lot of EU deliveries, where they would import things from outside of the bloc, and then distribute. This is no longer possible due to rules of origin, with the result that UK items cannot be moved freely throughout the EU. It's a mess (hence the supply chain issues, retailers not selling into/out of the uk, lack of food in some shops etc)

great thanks for the comprehensive answer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure about UK/Brexit tax but when I ordered my Rose, I was living in Switzerland and I didn't pay the German tax, just the Swiss one. Rose did this for me at source (saved me 9%, so I was delighted)

Once you are inside the EU this is standard practice for any business that is large enough, sometimes you get lucky and they are a small business and charge you the local VAT which is typically less than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

great thanks for the comprehensive answer

np - not sure if you saw, but i edited it to include a worked example of my understanding - would be interested to know if you go ahead with the order, and how it works out for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm not answering the door or emails for the forseeable then.........:D:D

Bike arrived this arvo from CR/Wig.
    Fastway.

Gave my son instructions to pay a certain amount of duties, set a ceiling, not to go above that amount or they can have the bike back.

Zero charge. Zero VAT / import tax whatever you want to call it.

Ordered Jan 1st.

(expecting some contact from authorities to be honest)

Lemon3 wrote: »
    On CRC today, if I change destination form UK to Ireland, i get a greatly reduced selection of bikes available. Selecting MTBs alone changes fro 163 to 33. Obviously most stuff is out of stock, but you cant even view it with Ireland selected. This seems to apply to other EU countries too.

Wow!
    Just tried that.......everything in stock it seems compared to the Irish setting. All the bikes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

seamus wrote: »
    Surprises me, cos the owner used to be absolutely fastidious about stock control. He had a proper computerised stock database as far back as 1995, which was rare for a relatively small shop.
    If you built a bike and put it onto the shop floor before he gave you a stock tag for it, he'd go mad.

Is that ray ? - haven’t seen him in ages - they usually have a lot of staff there so surprised they can’t get it right . I’ll say something though that 12.5% has worked out handy in the past on a couple of rothar I bought .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

CramCycle wrote: »
    Once you are inside the EU this is standard practice for any business that is large enough, sometimes you get lucky and they are a small business and charge you the local VAT which is typically less than Ireland.

No I think in the case you commented on the bike was being sold to triggermortis in Switzerland, outside the EU and Rose charged him the Swiss vat as opposed the the German rate.

From my experience, most German retailers apply German vat when selling to other countries in the EU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

letape wrote: »
    No I think in the case you commented on the bike was being sold to triggermortis in Switzerland, outside the EU and Rose charged him the Swiss vat as opposed the the German rate.

From my experience, most German retailers apply German vat when selling to other countries in the EU.

Missed the Swiss bit. Rose and Bike Components both apply Irish VAT to any of my orders in the last year, my understanding is that over a certain amount of business you have to apply the local EU VAT amount if shipping to that country

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

letape wrote: »

any company selling over 70k in to Ireland must register for and charge Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ted1 wrote: »
    any company selling over 70k in to Ireland must register for and charge Irish VAT.

Microsoft seemed that have either slipped that requirement, or made a mess of their implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

if you purchase from a NI website such as MCCovney Cycles. are you liable for import or other other charges.

barrabus wrote: »
    if you purchase from a NI website such as MCCovney Cycles. are you liable for import or other other charges.

I don't think so

Someone let us know when German sites are back posting to Ireland please.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Planet X wrote: »
    Someone let us know when German sites are back posting to Ireland please.

Cheers.

DHL are supposed to be resuming freight to Ireland tomorrow so there's a chance the sites could be back to happily taking our money soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bike discount seem to be accepting orders for Ireland. I didn't go through with the order but I got as far as the confirmation page and DPD were listed as couriers for the usual €9.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

CheGuedara wrote: »
    DHL are supposed to be resuming freight to Ireland tomorrow so there's a chance the sites could be back to happily taking our money soon

Bike24 is back in the game

Advertisement