Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No sympathy for Milo or any of the followers who enabled this car crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yiannopoulos' screed is very amusing: it's almost like "owning the libs" isn't much of a viable political or financial career - at least not to the extent that it might bed him in with the GOP. It's not like the so-called "Culture Wars" are over, but with the passing of Trump one does hope it drags it away from the spotlight by dint of the President being Troll in Chief; and with it, you'd hope the Yiannopouloses of this world quickly follow into obscurity.

To be fair, the idea of the modern commentariat didn't emerge until 9/11 when people were hungering for news 24/7. In the absence of news to report, we got commentors offering opinions though I gather that this may have been the case in the US beforehand and as a cultural norm it just grew afterwards.

I'd say it'll find something else to latch onto. In the UK we have Laurence Fox and Nigel Farage starting "Reclaim" & "Reform" parties. I can't see them getting far but it's a sign of things to come.

I think that Trump's presidency has shown that as bad and corrupt as some "career politicians" can be, they're still preferable to those who peddle easy answers and seek to justify hatred.
    kowloon wrote: »
    No sympathy for Milo or any of the followers who enabled this car crash.

None here either. I'm amazed that he's still at this to be honest but then, much of modern culture seems to involving exhuming artefacts from years ago and parading them around.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair, the idea of the modern commentariat didn't emerge until 9/11 when people were hungering for news 24/7. In the absence of news to report, we got commentors offering opinions though I gather that this may have been the case in the US beforehand and as a cultural norm it just grew afterwards.

I'd say it'll find something else to latch onto. In the UK we have Laurence Fox and Nigel Farage starting "Reclaim" & "Reform" parties. I can't see them getting far but it's a sign of things to come.

I think that Trump's presidency has shown that as bad and corrupt as some "career politicians" can be, they're still preferable to those who peddle easy answers and seek to justify hatred.

None here either. I'm amazed that he's still at this to be honest but then, much of modern culture seems to involving exhuming artefacts from years ago and parading them around.

It's just another scam to gain profile and money.

The "Conservatives" have proven themselves to be far easier to scam over the last few years so the Right is inundated with a multitude of scam artists and grifters trying to carve out a little slice of the pie for themselves

Milo sees a group of people frustrated and angry about how the GOP have "screwed them" so he is now attempting to grift off them.

"Read my Blog" , "Watch my Videos" , but above all - remember to CLICK THOSE LINKS!!!

It's not actual anger or actual opinion - It's a scam , just like every single last one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Didn't Milo more or less get cancelled over some dodgy comments about pederasty and child abuse? Surprised to see him resurface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Now there's a blast from the past!

Yiannopoulos' whole routine was to cater to people who were happy to vote for an individual running on the ticket of the party who have been pushing them as far into penury as they can. Why on earth was he surprised when none of them bothered to put their hands in their pockets for him when they won't even vote for their own economic interests? There are many things I would describe him as but stupid is not one of them.
    Grifter pivots further right to where the lowest hanging of all the fruit lies.

Mystery solved, you're welcome. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Didn't Milo more or less get cancelled over some dodgy comments about pederasty and child abuse? Surprised to see him resurface.

Yeah, it was supporting pedophilia that saw him go from the "golden token gay person" of the alt right, to someone they just cheer on when they think nobody is looking.

The QAnon crowd will welcome him with open arms, as they tend to when it comes to suspected and accused pedophiles, as well as those supportive of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's just another scam to gain profile and money.

The "Conservatives" have proven themselves to be far easier to scam over the last few years so the Right is inundated with a multitude of scam artists and grifters trying to carve out a little slice of the pie for themselves

Milo sees a group of people frustrated and angry about how the GOP have "screwed them" so he is now attempting to grift off them.

"Read my Blog" , "Watch my Videos" , but above all - remember to CLICK THOSE LINKS!!!

It's not actual anger or actual opinion - It's a scam , just like every single last one of them.

The conservatives and the republicans in general just seem to make themselves look the American equivalent of the DUP on this side of the Atlantic.
    Supporting Trump was the equivalent of the DUP pushing for Brexit only to find it rebound. Watching some of the youtube videos of republicans is like watching Sammy Wilson in action.

I wouldn't be surprised if their carry-on causes them to lose the senate seats in Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It's like a poor little me statement, that he was conned by Trump into the Breitbart promotion of Trump, and bore no responsibility with what was done by Trump in power as president. A "I was a victim too" trying to get back in vogue in society [as it were] to get back on invitation lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's the dying embers of 2020, he needs to emerge before this year is out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

aloyisious wrote: »
    It's like a poor little me statement, that he was conned by Trump into the Breitbart promotion of Trump, and bore no responsibility with what was done by Trump in power as president. A "I was a victim too" trying to get back in vogue in society [as it were] to get back on invitation lists.

Right wingers acting the victim is like pouring a cup of water into the Atlantic. I only notice when they don't do it at this stage.

The problem with being on the extreme of the political spectrum is that the second you fail an ideological purity test in the absence of a galvanising force, you're done. The far right has been stagnating a bit fairly recently so the impetus for the extremists to remain united has been relatively lacking.

Yiannopoulos has boasted about being at parties with "very young boys". My capacity to sympathise with him evaporated a long time ago.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Right wingers acting the victim is like pouring a cup of water into the Atlantic. I only notice when they don't do it at this stage.

The problem with being on the extreme of the political spectrum is that the second you fail an ideological purity test in the absence of a galvanising force, you're done. The far right has been stagnating a bit fairly recently so the impetus for the extremists to remain united has been relatively lacking.

Yiannopoulos has boasted about being at parties with "very young boys". My capacity to sympathise with him evaporated a long time ago.

Thankfully there is no Strom Thurmond or similar around for camp followers to admire. I'd be happy if they continue to gut themselves like the admired gang from the European 30's.

That comment by him put him outside the LGBT community as far as I'm concerned. It'd be somewhat along the lines certain [living] people are currently in custody under investigation for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Of all the blows so far, Putin congratulating Biden on his win must sting the worst for poor Don.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Of all the blows so far, Putin congratulating Biden on his win must sting the worst for poor Don.

Followed, some hours later, by Mitch. Joe Scarborough is probably rolling in the aisles at the coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭amandstu

That's it .Make him Special Envoy to the Russian Federation

Who knows he may be able to glean some counter-espionage secrets from them on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Trump is really fizzling out...... anyone miss the glory days when he was going nuts on a daily basis ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

googling "trump twitter" no longer brings up his main twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

froog wrote: »
    googling "trump twitter" no longer brings up his main twitter account.

It’s like back to the future, he is fading away until the point where he no longer ever existed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

It’s like back to the future, he is fading away until the point where he no longer ever existed.....

An apt comparison considering he is a ringer for old Biff

Seems some-one "leaked" to the media that Mitch McConnell had a tele-conference with his fellow GOP senators and told them not to mess around with the electoral college vote result in the senate, to leave the result alone. After his congratulatory call to Joe, there'd be no prizes for guessing who the media source could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems that the #IMPOTUS might not be able to relo to Mar-a-Laggard after all; he'd previously agreed not to. Of course, he'll lawyer up. Maybe Rudi can fart his way through this one for him:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/955473/trumps-maralago-neighbors-dont-want-move-there-may-able-stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seems that the #IMPOTUS might not be able to relo to Mar-a-Laggard after all; he'd previously agreed not to. Of course, he'll lawyer up. Maybe Rudi can fart his way through this one for him:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/955473/trumps-maralago-neighbors-dont-want-move-there-may-able-stop
    Ah yes... the art of the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

I still reckon he's a flight risk considering the ongoing cases by the State of New York. He certainly won't be going near Trump Tower after leaving the Whitehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

circadian wrote: »
    I still reckon he's a flight risk considering the ongoing cases by the State of New York. He certainly won't be going near Trump Tower after leaving the Whitehouse.

I think you're right and he's intimated this already

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/10/19/trump-suggests-hell-leave-country-if-he-loses-biden/

“Running against the worst candidate in the history of presidential politics puts pressure on me,” he said.

“Could you imagine if I lose? My whole life, what am I going to do? I’m going to say, ‘I lost to the worst candidate in the history of politics.’ I’m not going to feel so good. Maybe I’ll have to leave the country?"

While presenting it as a joke there's always a grain of truth

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

An Interesting viewpoint here on why Trump and now Ivanka & Jared are so keen to move to Florida and declare their houses there as their "official" residences
    Florida is a great place to move to if you are a retiree or a criminal. As well as sun, sea and sand, it boasts a number of laws that may appeal to someone desperate to keep their hands on their money. These include something called a “homestead exemption”, which protects a Florida resident’s primary home (of unlimited value) from being seized by creditors.

Back in 2008, for example, Bernie Madoff’s wife suddenly switched her primary residence from New York to Florida and applied for a homestead exemption to protect her $9.4m home. Weirdly, she applied for this exemption just a few months before Madoff pleaded guilty to running a massive Ponzi scheme.

So , if he gets to declare Mar-a-Lago as his "Home" his creditors can't touch it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

An Interesting viewpoint here on why Trump and now Ivanka & Jared are so keen to move to Florida and declare their houses there as their "official" residences

So , if he gets to declare Mar-a-Lago as his "Home" his creditors can't touch it...

Theres no way the IRS will let him away with declaring it as a residence

VinLieger wrote: »
    Theres no way the IRS will let him away with declaring it as a residence

Probably right , but that won't stop him trying and tying things up in the courts for years..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

But the Newsweek article cites the agreement that specifically precludes him from using it as a residence.

Mind you - that doesn't stop him from declaring a different property his residence, but without the asset protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

In the article though it says that he can't use it as a residence and a club.

Is he going to give up the money making club to live in a high expense estate? I doubt it.

But the Newsweek article cites the agreement that specifically precludes him from using it as a residence.

Mind you - that doesn't stop him from declaring a different property his residence, but without the asset protection.

Oh absolutely - That's going to be the battle.

He'd like to move permanently to live there , maybe because he just likes it or perhaps because of this "Homestead exemption" but he will have to overcome the deal he made 30 odd years ago when he first took over Mar-a-Lago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I think you're right and he's intimated this already

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/10/19/trump-suggests-hell-leave-country-if-he-loses-biden/

“Running against the worst candidate in the history of presidential politics puts pressure on me,” he said.

“Could you imagine if I lose? My whole life, what am I going to do? I’m going to say, ‘I lost to the worst candidate in the history of politics.’ I’m not going to feel so good. Maybe I’ll have to leave the country?"

While presenting it as a joke there's always a grain of truth

I mean. His MO is so transparent that he clearly means it.

As well as that, as soon as he tries to do it everyone will say "I can't believe he tried to do that".

It's frankly amazing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement