Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ExMachina1000 has been banned permanently for trolling on another thread. Please do not respond to their posts.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1338254785666043908

trump threatening severe punishment for any swing states certifying results.

i mean that has to be breaking a few federal laws no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

froog wrote: »

It doesn't even make sense. All 50 states have already certified their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

I love the scatter shot of anyone eligible to vote voted in all swing states.

Also define swing state? I take it he doesn't see Ohio or Florida in that bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Christy42 wrote: »
    I love the scatter shot of anyone eligible to vote voted in all swing states.

Also define swing state? I take it he doesn't see Ohio or Florida in that bunch.

Thats what I'm wondering. Florida is usually defined as the swing-state in most elections, but since it sided with Trump its AOK now? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

Apologies if this was already posted

https://twitter.com/fliceverett/status/1337914216699863040

Incredible capture. Taken from Armyvs Navy game. Very dystopian

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I haven't looked at his Twitter feed in weeks. It's been great.

Had a look there when you posted the above tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1337745268591259648?s=19

Honestly, are we still here at this nonsense?

January 6th can't come quickly enough to finally end this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

O'Neill wrote: »

It like where’s Wally....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭paul71

O'Neill wrote: »

Yes only the donkey and the President of the United States of America without masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Look on the bright side, Trump's definition of massive is alternative to that in other peoples minds. If he starts interfering [via his Admin] with vital supplies or federal monies for the states, it'll be shooting the GOP in the foot again. He'll probably vent about the funding deal in congress, tweet a veto is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

It like where’s Wally....

Still in the WhiteHouse for another few weeks apparently...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't looked at his Twitter feed in weeks. It's been great.

Had a look there when you posted the above tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1337745268591259648?s=19

Honestly, are we still here at this nonsense?

Sweet summer child. This isn't going to end in January: IMO we're looking at a dangerous swerve in partisanship that may drag on for years yet. Trump has spent the last year invalidating the election before it even happened (first by denying Postal Voting, then after the election with ... everything that happened); even some functioning GOP politicians have picked up this shotgun and run with it. In the minds of his loudest zealots, Trump had this election stolen from him and their chosen King has been ousted by ... liberals. The same liberal conspirators Dana Loesch and her ilk has spent the last few years warning her demographic about. Warned to the extent that might require armed resistance.

They may simmer down once the Electorial votes do their thing - ASSUMING they do their thing - but I doubt it. An armed and angry minority may yet become an active threat upon the remaining aspects of American democracy barely hanging on at this stage. Trump has gleefully, and without thought, thrown petrol onto kindling that was being built by other forces. The galloping idiot has legitimised every Deep State wingnut in the country and I doubt he even knows nor cares. I don't want to seem glib, or even gleeful myself, but I can't see how this doesn't end with someone being killed; the Secret Service will need to watch Biden more carefully than usual IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I share your concerns pixelburp, but on the other side whilst many people claim that they believe the vote was rigged, the crowds at the Stop the Steal rallies are tiny. There really isn't an increasing force ready to overthrow the government. The vast majority of people will move on. Trump will be forgotten about in time. Sure he will continue to post on whatever platform he uses, and be on Fox or OANN, but he overs nothing for 4 years. He struggled to get anything actually done during his time as POTUS, but at least could lie about the state forces holding him back and could mix that with PR stunts to show he was in charge.

He will have none of that soon.

I think it is easy to get sucked into thinking that his constant tweets, the more outlandish mouth pieces like McEnany, Hannity etc, speak for everyone. But they really don't. Of course, there is always going to be those that take things too far, just like some people used the BLM protests as an excuse to riot and vandalism, but no more than it means that BLM is threat, Proud Boys doesn't mean Trump or his supporters or a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the people who supported Trump find someone competent next time they could do a lot of damage. Watch them spend the next four years talking up some sort of fake communist threat from Antifa and the likes. Going easy on everyone calling for a coup now might make things easier in the short term but it's just kicking the problem down the line.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

kowloon wrote: »
    If the people who supported Trump find someone competent next time they could do a lot of damage. Watch them spend the next four years talking up some sort of fake communist threat from Antifa and the likes. Going easy on everyone calling for a coup now might make things easier in the short term but it's just kicking the problem down the line.

People need to bear in mind that all of this was part of the Trump plan all along.

The "wrinkle" for Trump is that he lost multiple States.

He did not envisage any scenario where he would lose Georgia and Arizona.

He genuinely thought that it would come down to flipping a single State - Most likely PA

Had that been the case , he likely would have prevailed either through the courts or bullying the State Representatives, but losing 4 States and the various winning margins meant that no one had any wiggle room to tilt it in his direction.

Stacey Abrahams in Georgia and the ghost of John McCain in Arizona were the critical difference here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Unfortunately, he's still in the job until Jan 20th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When do we think Twitter will disable him?

Will they turn off his account based on previous miss use at 12:01pm on the 20th, or will they wait for him to tweet something newly disallowed? As whilst outside the terms of use of Twitter previously, as comments by the president his statements need preserving. Do his previous miss-tweetings no longer count against him and he will need to rack up new controversy before they boot him from the platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

robinph wrote: »

Will they turn off his account based on previous miss use at 12:01pm on the 20th, or will they wait for him to tweet something newly disallowed? As whilst outside the terms of use of Twitter previously, as comments by the president his statements need preserving. Do his previous miss-tweetings no longer count against him and he will need to rack up new controversy before they boot him from the platform?

They will probably wait...but given how childish and narcissistic he is, seeing Biden up there swearing in will have him reaching for his phone in seconds. Or maybe after he tries to hold his "real inauguration" where he has Pence or someone swear him in :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I suspect that they'll give him a "clean slate" of sorts after the inauguration , then they'll move him through the various levels of sanction until they can ban him.

They will dot every i and cross every t as they step through this.

How long that process takes though is anyones guess - Given that at least one of the penalty stages is a temporary ban , it will take at least a few days I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I suspect that they'll give him a "clean slate" of sorts after the inauguration , then they'll move him through the various levels of sanction until they can ban him.

They will dot every i and cross every t as they step through this.

How long that process takes though is anyones guess - Given that at least one of the penalty stages is a temporary ban , it will take at least a few days I'd imagine.

I don't think they will ban him. He is one of their most important users. Every tweet he sends out generates headlines, with the word Twitter somewhere in the article of a picture of the tweet.

You can't buy that sort of brand awareness.

If you are a shareholder in Twitter, which do you think is the better business decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sweet summer child. This isn't going to end in January...

---

They may simmer down once the Electorial votes do their thing - ASSUMING they do their thing - but I doubt it.

It won't end per se, but we don't have to pay attention anymore.

Have you not noticed how little oxygen he is being fed recently. Everyone is waiting around for him to just go.

The whole MAGA movement will dissipate and drift back to the loony fringe where it seeped from.

I'm interested in where all the Irish MAGAistas go to now though...
    Unfortunately, he's still in the job until Jan 20th.

Once the results are certified in Congress on Jan 6th, it's all over for him.

I mean, it's over for him now, but that's the full stop.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't think they will ban him. He is one of their most important users. Every tweet he sends out generates headlines, with the word Twitter somewhere in the article of a picture of the tweet.

You can't buy that sort of brand awareness.

If you are a shareholder in Twitter, which do you think is the better business decision?

That may be true now , but will it be true in a few months time?

His tweets will no longer be of "significant importance" , he'll be no different than any of their other users with very large followings.

Would they let Beyonce or Taylor Swift etc. away with the crap he's been posting of late?

I'm not suggesting they'll kick him off out of spite , but if he breaks the rules they will have no option but to follow the guidelines that they have in terms of the various warnings and escalating restrictions up to and including temporary or permanent banning.

For sure , they'd like to keep him , but they will also have to apply their rules equally to him , otherwise every single tool that they ban can use him as justification for being allowed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That may be true now , but will it be true in a few months time?

His tweets will no longer be of "significant importance" , he'll be no different than any of their other users with very large followings.

Would they let Beyonce or Taylor Swift etc. away with the crap he's been posting of late?

I'm not suggesting they'll kick him off out of spite , but if he breaks the rules they will have no option but to follow the guidelines that they have in terms of the various warnings and escalating restrictions up to and including temporary or permanent banning.

For sure , they'd like to keep him , but they will also have to apply their rules equally to him , otherwise every single tool that they ban can use him as justification for being allowed back.

In addition to that you will have the copy accounts if he doesn't get banned. A few popped copying his tweets word for word to show they would get banned. What do they do with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1338513515330613248?s=19

From the article:

"Warning labels and fact checks have not stopped President Trump from continuing to spread conspiracy theories and use violent rhetoric on Twitter, but after Inauguration Day, those kinds of tweets could land the outgoing president in hot water, and eventually cause him to be banned by the platform, a Twitter spokesperson told Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I share your concerns pixelburp, but on the other side whilst many people claim that they believe the vote was rigged, the crowds at the Stop the Steal rallies are tiny. There really isn't an increasing force ready to overthrow the government. The vast majority of people will move on. Trump will be forgotten about in time. Sure he will continue to post on whatever platform he uses, and be on Fox or OANN, but he overs nothing for 4 years. He struggled to get anything actually done during his time as POTUS, but at least could lie about the state forces holding him back and could mix that with PR stunts to show he was in charge.

He will have none of that soon.

I think it is easy to get sucked into thinking that his constant tweets, the more outlandish mouth pieces like McEnany, Hannity etc, speak for everyone. But they really don't. Of course, there is always going to be those that take things too far, just like some people used the BLM protests as an excuse to riot and vandalism, but no more than it means that BLM is threat, Proud Boys doesn't mean Trump or his supporters or a threat.

I really share Pixelburp's concerns. The numbers of out an out clowns draped in MAGA tat is relatively small, but over 70 million voted for him- after four years of his lunacy. The 103 or whatever it was Republicans who attached themselves to the Texas lawsuit (17 or 18 state AGs)- this is a shift to unabashed nativist Know Nothing politics. I saw the way "decent" Tories were just vapourised by Cummings and Co. out of the party- the centrists in the GOP may find themselves similarly stranded with Trump breaking all norms sniping from the sidelines of US discourse.

The people running twitter announced 6 or so weeks back that Trump's presidential account would be shut down when Biden took up office, that he'll only have the same rights and obligations any account holder has from that date on, without any of the present courtesies given to a serving president holding a twitter account.

The contents of his presidential twitter account are apparently going to the Library of Congress the same as those of other presidents public speeches etc.

One other thing I had a look at is the Mr President title when addressing U.S presidents. The only one allowed use it is the serving president, retirees use Former President so it'll be Former President Trump though he'll most definitely ignore that nicety.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

aloyisious wrote: »
    The people running twitter announced 6 or so weeks back that Trump's presidential account would be shut down when Biden took up office, that he'll only have the same rights and obligations any account holder has from that date on, without any of the present courtesies given to a serving president holding a twitter account.

The contents of his presidential twitter account are apparently going to the Library of Congress the same as those of other presidents public speeches etc.

That's the @POTUS account which gets recycled for Biden, his ban-worthy content is on the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Bill Barr gone

CNN has Don Trump tweeting he's had a nice meeting with Bill Barr and Bill has resigned immediately from office as A.G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just reading Barr's resignation letter and people thought he couldnt get any worse

What a vile man and hopefully it's the last time we ever hear from him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement