Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Headshot wrote: »
    Just reading Barr's resignation letter and people thought he couldnt get any worse

What a vile man and hopefully it's the last time we ever hear from him

Is Barr getting out ahead of whatever he suspects Trump & Co are going to do next in order to reduce the stain on his blotter, or did he and Trump take the easy way out by presenting his departure as a resignation in order to avoid the GOP et al erupting if he fired him?

The updating of Trump on the investigation would probably have been interesting to watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the @POTUS account which gets recycled for Biden, his ban-worthy content is on the main one.

Didn't they say that his pre existing account which he uses is considered the Potus one though seeing as he couldn't be bothered to learn a new login? Maybe they just take it off him on the transfer and he has to start from scratch. Because he didn't switch to using the official one he therfore sacrifices his original account.

That would make for some good first tweets on the new account.

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the @POTUS account which gets recycled for Biden, his ban-worthy content is on the main one.[/QUOTE

Edit: went looking for access to same, so easy-peasy even without an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1338513515330613248?s=19

From the article:

"Warning labels and fact checks have not stopped President Trump from continuing to spread conspiracy theories and use violent rhetoric on Twitter, but after Inauguration Day, those kinds of tweets could land the outgoing president in hot water, and eventually cause him to be banned by the platform, a Twitter spokesperson told Forbes.

They also explain why he has been allowed to keep tweeting over the past four years:

“Trump is currently shielded by Twitter’s “World Leaders policy,” which means the social media company will in most cases choose to leave up a tweet that breaks its rules, a policy established on the principle that most people would like to see what their heads of state are saying.”

I wonder was this policy in place before Trump became president, or was it introduced to allow them to justify allowing him to keep spouting lies, disinformation and nonsense conspiracy theories?

It sounds like a rationalisation to me and I would not be surprised if the main reason they did not ban him is because of fear of reprisals if they did. And because they allowed him to keep going, he decided not to take action to shut them down, because this would have deprived him of his platform.

A particularly nasty form of symbiotic relationship. Once he no longer has the power to harm them, he will not receive any special treatment and it is impossible to believe that he will suddenly start behaving like an adult when his big toys have been taken away from him.

There's an unreality in his "we" world, claiming responsibility for the arrival of the vaccines.

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    ·
    Dec 13
    Vaccines are shipped and on their way, FIVE YEARS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,519 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is Barr getting out ahead of whatever he suspects Trump & Co are going to do next in order to reduce the stain on his blotter, or did he and Trump take the easy way out by presenting his departure as a resignation in order to avoid the GOP et al erupting if he fired him?

The updating of Trump on the investigation would probably have been interesting to watch.

Barr was fired, he was gone the minute he announced that DOJ had found no evidence of voter fraud.

All this is is Barr holding out for a pardon.

This is a pattern that has been repeated many times by Trump.

Something happens that contradicts Trump. Press ask if Trump agrees with or if annoyed.
    Trump says everything is fine.
    Press ask if X will be fired.
    Trump does that stupid look where he wants to say yes but knows he should say no but can't help himself and says "we'll see".
    A few weeks later the person 'resigns'.
    Trump announces on Twitter and says next person up is the greatest thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

We will miss you William Barr xxx
    Does this mean Trump is free to pardon everyone ??? Lock up the Bidens ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

We will miss you William Barr xxx
    Does this mean Trump is free to pardon everyone ??? Lock up the Bidens ???

He can pardon whoever he wants. Nothing has changed because of this.

The #IMPOTUS not free to lock up the Bidens, or you, or me. There needs to be an arrest, conviction, etc. It's not quite Hungary or Russia in the US just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No doubt the rewriting of history has already started and Barr is a liberal traitor and a terrible AG, worst ever.

I wonder is the next move to install someone utterly unqualified for a month as AG to quash any pending investigations, dispose of collected evidence and feed classified information to those in Trump's inner circle on what backlash to expect after 20th January.

Someone in the position for a month can't really do anything effective except to undermine the justice system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So despite passing the next formality on the road to the end of Trumps presidency with the EC votes being carried out in exactly the way it was determined from the election, Trump is still not backing down. Would have been a chance for him to just slink off quietly in the night to Florida and cheat at golf for a bit, but instead he carrying on with the claims of fraud despite zero hope of success.

No doubt the fundraising they are doing is bringing in some money, but is it really enough to make it worth carrying on the charade. Couldn't he make more money from staying at MarALago for the next month and charging the secret service for following him around in golf carts, but with a lot less stress. The money he's scamming out of people has to dry up at some point with the lack of any winning he's managing to achieve with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I not sure what, if anything, would need to happen for Trump to accept reality and abandon his tantrum. The extent to which he has acted out has once again exceeded all expectations.

You have to hand it to him. No matter how bad you think he’s going to be, he always manages to be even worse than expected.

I dread to think what kind of damage he’s going to do over the next five weeks. He’s like a jealous husband who decides to kill his wife because, if he can’t have her, nobody can. I just hope that somebody can step in and stop him before he goes too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

abff wrote: »
    I dread to think what kind of damage he’s going to do over the next five weeks. He’s like a jealous husband who decides to kill his wife because, if he can’t have her, nobody can. I just hope that somebody can step in and stop him before he goes too far.
    I fear unfortunately that the fact that Trump didn't manage to completely dismantle and destroy the system of government in the U.S. will be applauded as a testament to the amazingness of the founding fathers and the perfection of the system they created, and thus nothing needs to be fixed because US democracy is impervious to dictators.

The damage that has been done will be ignored as will the fact that a path has been paved for a considerably smarter and more devious individual to exploit it.

seamus wrote: »
    I fear unfortunately that the fact that Trump didn't manage to completely dismantle and destroy the system of government in the U.S. will be applauded as a testament to the amazingness of the founding fathers and the perfection of the system they created, and thus nothing needs to be fixed because US democracy is impervious to dictators.

The damage that has been done will be ignored as will the fact that a path has been paved for a considerably smarter and more devious individual to exploit it.

Trumps incompetence, more than any systems in place to stop him, is what has saved America from itself. They managed to stop a fool, but that's not really anything to celebrate.

Maybe next time things will move into place to actually stop the next person in their tracks a bit sooner. The sitting around and watching each moment of idiocy thinking it surely can't get worse than this, so no point in rocking the boat for now isn't the way to deal with the likes of Trump. There is an outside chance that the next person gets actually stopped sooner.

As con-jobs go, Trump is allegedly running his own electoral college vote in competition to the one run in line with the constitution, leaving one to wonder which one Mike Pence will choose to select the vote envelopes from in the senate next month [if Trump pushes the envelope - pun - out that far] when he's required to read the vote result into the record and finalize the show before the inauguration. I can't imagine him going along with Trump's con-job in front of the senate and the USSC, whatever about the U.S public. He has to know what would happen to his own chance of running for office in 2024 if he went along with Trump's plan to supplant Biden. The fake electoral college would be subversion of the constitution worthy of federal criminal charges after Trump was shown the exit door. I hope some reporter asks Pence what he think's of Trumps plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm glad Barr is gone (even if he'd have only been in the job for another 5 weeks anyway). Trump surrounded himself with a lot of incompetent people but Barr didn't seem to be one of them. He was cold, calculated and dangerous. He deserves no credit for doing the absolute bare minimum around the election declarations. I hope that's the last we see of him.

As con-jobs go, Trump is allegedly running his own electoral college vote in competition to the one run in line with the constitution, leaving one to wonder which one Mike Pence will choose to select the vote envelopes from in the senate next month [if Trump pushes the envelope - pun - out that far] when he's required to read the vote result into the record and finalize the show before the inauguration. I can't imagine him going along with Trump's con-job in front of the senate and the USSC, whatever about the U.S public. He has to know what would happen to his own chance of running for office in 2024 if he went along with Trump's plan to supplant Biden. The fake electoral college would be subversion of the constitution worthy of federal criminal charges after Trump was shown the exit door. I hope some reporter asks Pence what he think's of Trumps plan.

Could that trigger something like they have in the UK HoC where bringing the house into disrepute, or picking up the ceremonial mace, could get you arrested by the sergeant at arms equivalent and locked in a Capitol Hill ceremonial prison? Doing something so idiotic in the chamber gaining an instant boot out the door.

I'm glad Barr is gone (even if he'd have only been in the job for another 5 weeks anyway). Trump surrounded himself with a lot of incompetent people but Barr didn't seem to be one of them. He was cold, calculated and dangerous. He deserves no credit for doing the absolute bare minimum around the election declarations. I hope that's the last we see of him.

His acting replacement Jeff Rosen will have to face up to any antics Trump comes up with. If he's not a YES-man, he's in for a short ride, not even to the new year. Can't see his family really being delighted at the news of his "promotion".

robinph wrote: »
    Could that trigger something like they have in the UK HoC where bringing the house into disrepute, or picking up the ceremonial mace, could get you arrested by the sergeant at arms equivalent and locked in a Capitol Hill ceremonial prison? Doing something so idiotic in the chamber gaining an instant boot out the door.

It might account to a contempt of congress charge. More likely, in reality, that Pence will keep a respectable distance from any alternative electoral college if he hears it mentioned from his bosses mouth while playing along in encouraging tones to ensure he is one of the "good" guys either way.

Barr had a contempt of congress charge laid against him last year but it seems to have flowed off him like water off a ducks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It might account to a contempt of congress charge. More likely, in reality, that Pence will keep a respectable distance from any alternative electoral college if he hears it mentioned from his bosses mouth while playing along in encouraging tones to ensure he is one of the "good" guys either way.

Barr had a contempt of congress charge laid against him last year but it seems to have flowed off him like water off a ducks back.

Pence has basically been invisible since the election.

I can't see him reading those electors in to the record.

Ghosts from the past with Christmas approaching: Milo Yiannopoulos, the former Breitbart editor and fan of Trump, went on the warpath on Parler, saying “I lost everything helping to put Trump in office. My life and career were completely destroyed. Was it worth it? No. I feel utterly betrayed. I will have vengeance.” and he's dedicating the rest of his life to burning down the republican party. He think's "Trump’s SCOTUS appointments were pointless. We defended a selfish clown for nothing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ghosts from the past with Christmas approaching: Milo Yiannopoulos, the former Breitbart editor and fan of Trump, went on the warpath on Parler, saying “I lost everything helping to put Trump in office. My life and career were completely destroyed. Was it worth it? No. I feel utterly betrayed. I will have vengeance.” and he's dedicating the rest of his life to burning down the republican party. He think's "Trump’s SCOTUS appointments were pointless. We defended a selfish clown for nothing".

This is great. Hopefully all the infighting causes the GOP to implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Everything Trump touches, dies. There'll be more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,178 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It will be difficult to hold the two wings of the GOP together. There is no national figure to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Water John wrote: »
    It will be difficult to hold the two wings of the GOP together. There is no national figure to do it.

Romney could. Maybe Nikki Haley. Or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm a bit surprised I didn't think he had genuinely swallowed the Trump BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

robinph wrote: »
    No doubt the fundraising they are doing is bringing in some money, but is it really enough to make it worth carrying on the charade. Couldn't he make more money from staying at MarALago for the next month and charging the secret service for following him around in golf carts, but with a lot less stress. The money he's scamming out of people has to dry up at some point with the lack of any winning he's managing to achieve with it.

He is probably trying to keep the grift going as it could lead on after Jan 20th, only so much he can scam from the US Gov running up bills in Florida. Can imagine there being some new "crucial piece of evidence" being found about 2 months before he has to pay back Deutsche Bank their $400m and needs funds to run a series of court cases (which will be laughably pointless and probably never even be heard in court). And the grift will continue, if he can get people to give him money for nowt he will run that tap till he drains the tank....and then blame Biden when people have no money left.

abff wrote: »
    I not sure what, if anything, would need to happen for Trump to accept reality and abandon his tantrum. The extent to which he has acted out has once again exceeded all expectations.

Seriously....major head trauma! Only thing that could change his mind now. He is just too far-gone and wrapped in his childish delusion where he always wins and his losing is because Biden cheated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Now there's a blast from the past!

Yiannopoulos' whole routine was to cater to people who were happy to vote for an individual running on the ticket of the party who have been pushing them as far into penury as they can. Why on earth was he surprised when none of them bothered to put their hands in their pockets for him when they won't even vote for their own economic interests? There are many things I would describe him as but stupid is not one of them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Nal wrote: »
    Romney could. Maybe Nikki Haley. Or both.

Romney is despised by Trump and therefore MAGA-land.

Trump publicly humiliated with him by dangling a job in front of him that he had no intention of giving him. Romney stayed on-side long enough to get his blessing in his Utah Senate race but since then he's been speaking his mind more freely. Don't forget that he voted to impeach Trump. For the base that's heresy that he'll never be forgiven for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised I didn't think he had genuinely swallowed the Trump BS.

I wouldn't be so sure he isn't still playing a role tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yiannopoulos' screed is very amusing: it's almost like "owning the libs" isn't much of a viable political or financial career - at least not to the extent that it might bed him in with the GOP. It's not like the so-called "Culture Wars" are over, but with the passing of Trump one does hope it drags it away from the spotlight by dint of the President being Troll in Chief; and with it, you'd hope the Yiannopouloses of this world quickly follow into obscurity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement