Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm due to go a lot of driving in and around Galway and Mayo tomorrow repping. Wondering if we will be pulled off the road. Not looking forward to it. Live near EIKN and the last storm took the glasshouse with it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

brookers wrote: »
    Never let any manager or boss force you to stay at your job if there is a weather warning. No job is worth a tree falling on you. Why do people still think a boss has that right. Just leave.

You mean a red weather warning right?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Aldi was extremely busy earlier which surprised me because a lot of people tend to ignore these orange storms now.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think it is going to be a 'sliced pan' type of storm.
    Just a strong good old January blow, force 9-11 at peak times, with the usual stronger gusts in the usual 'exposed' areas.
    Aldi is making a killing, anyway, in more than one way ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

brookers wrote: »
    Never let any manager or boss force you to stay at your job if there is a weather warning. No job is worth a tree falling on you. Why do people still think a boss has that right. Just leave.

Oh I was going to.
    But if you go down that route and follow it to its logical conclusion you would eventually end up with a thread consisting of Meteorite, Gaoth Laidir and Mt Cranium, with everyone else relegated to the 'chat' thread.

Technical threads get more contributors than that. And so what if they're quiet threads? They don't cost anything!

watlantic wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think it is going to be a 'sliced pan' type of storm.
    Just a strong good old January blow, force 9-11 at peak times, with the usual stronger gusts in the usual 'exposed' areas.
    Aldi is making a killing, anyway, in more than one way ;-)

I agree. I only picked up a few items in Aldi (48 rib eye steaks) but many of the bread/veg shelves were empty which is odd. I am never disappointed by storms. I love them! Bigger the better (obviously without loss of life before the virtue signalers get excited).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Do we think outdoor workers should be given day off tomorrow? In Donegal for example?

Pangea wrote: »
    Do we think outdoor workers should be given day off tomorrow? In Donegal for example?

That should be a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I agree. I only picked up a few items in Aldi (48 rib eye steaks) but many of the bread/veg shelves were empty which is odd. I am never disappointed by storms. I love them! Bigger the better (obviously without loss of life before the virtue signalers get excited).

Windstorms are dangerous, I hate them above all others myself.
    Costly if there's damage done too.
    There's no romance about a windstorm, just danger danger everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Pangea wrote: »

Parking wardens definitely..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Important to note that Michelle Dillon pointed out that on the 6pm bulletin wind speeds could exceed 130kmh in exposed western and north western areas as the core comes close tomorrow evening. So red level warnings still could be issued for those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks and the same to thee. I am literally a very few feet above sea level but they knew what they were doing when they built out here so no danger of flooding etc.

My own innate response to high winds stems from the big tsunami. Many of my faith family were lost that day and it haunts me. High winds are life threatening. . But there we are. And yes this one does sound …. lol.. and nothing we can do . Not scared just hate it as we need to do all danger. and they are a disruptive pain.

I coped just with Callum last year; it was a west coastal event that only impacted this area but the place shook. No idea how wind speeds correlate with that event

Oh just checked that was "over 130 k" was Callum...about the same then It only impacted this area again.

At least it is fairly short lived and will be daylight …

And as Shakespeare said, " Time and the hour runs through the roughest day."

Folk who love such destructive and dangerous events? Shakes old head. Not … Unless they are out helping folk. Hope they do not live to regret it.

Waiting for a lull so I can nip out and see if I can coax the cats in.

Stay safe... "This too shall pass.."

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Stay safe Grace, I am not looking forward to this one.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any chance of some sneachta with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

pad199207 wrote: »
    Important to note that Michelle Dillon pointed out that on the 6pm bulletin wind speeds could exceed 130kmh in exposed western and north western areas as the core comes close tomorrow evening. So red level warnings still could be issued for those areas.

They suggested this before about another storm but didn't issue red that time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

But if you go down that route and follow it to its logical conclusion you would eventually end up with a thread consisting of Meteorite, Gaoth Laidir and Mt Cranium, with everyone else relegated to the 'chat' thread.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Not true. Lots of us post on the Technical threads for specific storms. The problem is having to wade through sometimes pages of chat to find essential information.

I will be working outdoors in Galway tomorrow - irrespective of the weather. I will also be by the sea close to both high tide times. This forum gives up to date, accurate information/opinion that you can't get anywhere else.

I have never found the Mods objecting to any relevant information like road closures, schools, trees down, power outages etc being posted in the Technical thread where everyone can quickly & easily find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For this wisdom and sense, blessings and thanks! Thought I was alone on this...
    Windstorms are dangerous, I hate them above all others myself.
    Costly if there's damage done too.
    There's no romance about a windstorm, just danger danger everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is mention of snow on higher ground on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Be interesting to see what happens at 9pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Stay safe Grace, I am not looking forward to this one.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

I'm the same height Inthe north of the country. Pity I've to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

aisling86 wrote: »

;)

https://twitter.com/deric_tv/status/1216433967999737857

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭mjp

On the west coast in Galway and hoping that we go to red alert. As the worst of it not due to hit Dublin so Rte will pay very little heed to it. Drove through salthill this evening at 4 clock and the carpark was full with prom jammed with people despite council "closing" the carpark since 2 clock. Expect to see more images of flooded cars from there tomorrow morning. People never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Red in Wexford? His chart is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pretty irresponsible to tweet that graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

mjp wrote: »
    On the west coast in Galway and hoping that we go to red alert. As the worst of it not due to hit Dublin so Rte will pay very little heed to it. Drove through salthill this evening at 4 clock and the carpark was full with prom jammed with people despite council "closing" the carpark since 2 clock. Expect to see more images of flooded cars from there tomorrow morning. People never learn

Yup and no sympathy for them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Genuine question

If someone living on an island should heed the marine warnings, then shouldn't everyone who lives on the coast ? Same thing, surely?

Discodog wrote: »
    Not true. Lots of us post on the Technical threads for specific storms. The problem is having to wade through sometimes pages of chat to find essential information.

I will be working outdoors in Galway tomorrow - irrespective of the weather. I will also be by the sea close to both high tide times. This forum gives up to date, accurate information/opinion that you can't get anywhere else.

I have never found the Mods objecting to any relevant information like road closures, schools, trees down, power outages etc being posted in the Technical thread where everyone can quickly & easily find them.

Fair points. But if people are looking for essential information I would, with all respect to Boards, be checking elsewhere.
    There are some great and knowledgeable contributors on this forum but there's also some very entertaining and comedic ones. That mixture is part of the appeal of the place. I think boards weather is a long long way above the Facebook nonsense, but I would still categorise it as entertainment. Sorry if that hurts people's feelings but that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

who is this lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

irishgeo wrote: »
    who is this lad?

TV3 weather presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

dsmythy wrote: »
    Red in Wexford? His chart is off.

Hook Lighthouse is wexford and pretty exposed so chart may not be that off. Kilmore also pretty exposed for a south south westerly wind. Can only see what happens when it hits

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »

I doubt it. Closing the car park at 2pm today seems a bit pointless. It was a lovely day in Galway. The car park gets busy because of the new cinema across the road. The first high tide isn't until 7am tomorrow. The main car park will be empty by tonight and they'll ensure its closed by morning.

Advertisement