Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭endainoz

covey09 wrote: »
    Brendan not the only one around here full of bluster:D

That ignore button is very handy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I relish the prospect that someday a storm will hit that will rival or exceed the big one of 1839. Many on here do too but unlike me, are afraid to admit it. Anyway, from what I can gather is that this will be a strong but not notable event on the west coast with a normal windy day inland. The centre is just to far west to really cause trouble for us. Its a wasted opportunity. I love storms. Will never apologise for that.

Same here I love extreme weather, wouldn't wish anyone's lives interfered or anyone hurt.

But there's nothing like standing in a safe place near a headland and hearing the boulders collide and that metallic sound when a huge wave explodes with an epic shore break.
    Dogfish getting tossed ashore is a common one, you'd see them wriggling back towards the waters edge, but usually the next wave pulls them back to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Is there a chance this will go red along the west coast? If so wont it have to be soon to give people time to adjust for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

But n serious injury and deaths are almost inevitable . as is serious damage to property so there is something very unsavoury about wishing so openly for a storm like that.
    It shows a disregard for reality.

I doubt though that those who wish this would cope with bad weather! "Exiting and scared" they would be.

So no it is not normal.
    I think that's normal. Exciting and scary. Seeing the elements show us what they can do. Doesn't mean enjoyment of others being harmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I relish the prospect that someday a storm will hit that will rival or exceed the big one of 1839. Many on here do too but unlike me, are afraid to admit it. Anyway, from what I can gather is that this will be a strong but not notable event on the west coast with a normal windy day inland. The centre is just to far west to really cause trouble for us. Its a wasted opportunity. I love storms. Will never apologise for that.

It devastated the country. It would devastate the country today.

Would you settle for some wildfires, maybe a tsunami?

Ffs.

• Advertisement

At these times always wise to "hope for the best but prepare for the worst. "

Orange is bad enough to make full preparations surely?

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Is there a chance this will go red along the west coast? If so wont it have to be soon to give people time to adjust for tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Duggie2012 wrote: »

I get the impression they have pretty much said exposed western areas may see red alert conditions but they won't be giving county wide red warnings, as that results in a complete shutdown of areas of a county that are unlikely to experience anything more than a blustery day.

The warning system is seriously flawed, and need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

easypazz wrote: »
    I get the impression they have pretty much said exposed western areas may see red alert conditions but they won't be giving county wide red warnings, as that results in a complete shutdown of areas of a county that are unlikely to experience anything more than a blustery day.

itlll be more than a blustery day but certainly not a red alert across the majority of the country. high end yellow/orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Just thinking about work tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Graces7 wrote: »
    At these times always wise to "hope for the best but prepare for the worst. "

Orange is bad enough to make full preparations surely?

But red means there's no expectation to get to work/school etc and people know to stay indoors.

Yellow and Orange means people are expected to go about their day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Repeat and rince...and rince .and repeat..repeat and rince..repeat... i think we know what you want...no need to be repeating... no amount of repeating yourself will make any diffetence to the storms.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Not too many pensioner, grandad's, as you have stated you are many times, wish for the extremely of extreme weather events. This makes your personal on here incredulous.

Wishing for a big storm is the same as the lads here wishing for snow. Nothing any of us wish for will change the weather that arrives.

I never see people around here wishing for mass deaths because of extreme weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

To my untrained eye the Harmione predication included with Evelyn Cusack's commentary, although severe, doesn't seem quite as bad as images from other models I've seen here. Worst winds seem offshore.
    2 quick questions for those more knowledgeable:
    Do Met Eireann rely solely/mainly on this Harmione model, or do they also use the others?
    Has Harmione been proven as more accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Wishing for a big storm is the same as the lads here wishing for snow. Nothing any of us wish for will change the weather that arrives.

I never see people around here wishing for mass deaths because of extreme weather.

A pensioner ;)

He felt a big storm was coming yesterday he told us :D Already in tantrum mode, 20 hours pre storm. Like when his 'promised' snow doesn't arrive to show the grandchildren. Something bizarre about Little Snowy Old Me aka Fraxinus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

scooby77 wrote: »
    To my untrained eye the Harmione predication included with Evelyn Cusack's commentary, although severe, doesn't seem quite as bad as images from other models I've seen here. Worst winds seem offshore.
    2 quick questions for those more knowledgeable:
    Do Met Eireann rely solely/mainly on this Harmione model, or do they also use the others?
    Has Harmione been proven as more accurate?

Harmonie and ECM seemingly with a little more emphasis on Harmonie for some reason.

HIRLAM also used for short range although again I think most of what they have posted in the last couple of years has been Harmonie so probably a bias towards that on the short range side also.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cork981

Few counties removed from the orange warning.

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cork981 wrote: »
    Few counties removed from the orange warning.

https://www.met.ie/warnings

Are they updating the warnings?
    Always found it odd that they do this...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Now nationwide orange it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

NATIONWIDE ORANGE NOW

Status Orange - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Update: As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 70 km/h with gusts of 100 to 120 km/h, higher in exposed areas.

There is a significant risk of coastal flooding due to the combination of high spring tides and storm surge.

Valid: 08:00 Monday 13/01/2020 to 15:00 Monday 13/01/2020

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Now nationwide orange it seems?[/QUOTE

JAFFA IRELAND! !

Never seen that before!

Need a nap; back later...

• Advertisement

Good chance of Mayo, Galway, Sligo, Donegal going Red now

pad199207 wrote: »

Don't forget Leitrim!!

Don't forget Leitrim!!

Ofcourse and the “mile” long coast of Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Discodog wrote: »
    ? Identical posts an hour apart

I accidentally posted that twice

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are they updating the warnings?
    Always found it odd that they do this...

Aaaand that's Blockbusters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I accidentally posted that twice

Mod Note: Noted.

pad199207 wrote: »

That is what I thought was happening just now

Came back as just seen BreakingNews .ie re coastguard warning … words fail

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Red Marine Warning now from Met Eireann:
    MARINE WARNINGS

Gale Warning
    Status Red - Gale Warning

Gale force 8 to storm force 10 southerly winds will develop overnight and on Monday morning on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish Sea. Winds will reach violent storm force 11 at times from Mizen Head to Slyne Head to Malin Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

I reckon kerry, donegal & connacht will go red after being split out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Harmonie, doesn't cover the W, SW coast on this site but good idea of gusts for the rest of the country.

DFZH8dp.gif

dRRFMuW.png

BAds9aS.png

ApdIjaX.png

AjtQPAs.png

Advertisement