Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Any concerns for flights into Dublin tomorrow afternoon

The airport running a normal schedule tomorro

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

pad199207 wrote: »
    The airport running a normal schedule tomorro

Flying in at 4 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Any concerns for flights into Dublin tomorrow afternoon

Certainly, forecast gusts up to 55 knots between 1pm-3pm and blustery after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I agree that the current country based rating system is ineffective. Just taking The weather channel winds speeds here as example, (average) but Clifden in Galway see max wind speeds of 72kmh, while Ballinasloe will see max of 50kmh.

Why they cannot just draw a line down the country with the different zones I do not know. Obviously the line would clearly have to show which side major towns and cities are on. And some times it might be a 10km costal warni g between certain points for example.

Also Dublin max speed is 47kmh, which is like a normal winters day in the west. :-)

But I suppose orange is a safe warning as its maximum alertness without affecting anything, so they can extend to "less" affected areas without to much issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'll need a stronger pair of glasses but does that read 140 to 150kmh+ coming ashore :eek:
    Let's hope that doesn't happen

Yes will be Red if the core is expected to come ashore. At present consensus is for it not to come ashore.

If Red was to be issued for counties in northwest, timing likely be 1400-2000hrs so still some lead time if it was to be issued at 0800hrs.

At moment the risk is around 20-30%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

JuanJose wrote: »
    DCC has decided to close the car parks on the Clontarf Road. Evelyn Cusack mentioned rainfall is coming with this storm but didn't specify any region. Does anyone have any indication of whether we're likely to see a combo of high winds + rainfall + high tides causing flooding to the Dublin coastline?

Well there's spring tides, it's going to be windy and raining and DCC is closing the car parks. There;s four indicators in your own question. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Certainly, forecast gusts up to 55 knots between 1pm-3pm and blustery after that

I'm flying across Atlantic at 2pm for work. I'd definitely be expecting delays..

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Does it look like it will be safe to leave Westport heading to Dublin at 7am tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Does it look like it will be safe to leave Westport heading to Dublin at 7am tomorrow?

7 will be fine I'd say .
    You'll be driving away from the incoming storm anyways

watlantic wrote: »
    I think if they give orange or red is irrelevant. Those in an exposed area, near coasts, etc., should use their own judgement and make sure they stay safe, even if it means missing a day's work. Who's to know what gust hits where and when ? What wave will overtop ?
    Common sense should be applied not Meteoalarm/Eumetnet pictogram colour coding, that's my opinion. That used to work fine until the 'colours confusion' was introduced.
    By the way, the same yellow/orange/red colour confusion (and dispute) has been going on in most European countries since Meteoalarm was introduced as an EU initiative some years ago, and for good reasons Ireland joined fairly late. The met.ie textual forecast is way more informative and precise than any colour pictogram can ever be.
    Sorry, but I felt I had to get that of my chest.
    Back to what interests me more:
    Both ECMWF and GFS models now have storm Brendan further out W, later NW, at sea. Winds should still be as strong as predicted by Met Eireann, though. Winds of that strength nearly always do some damage. The threat of coastal flooding remains.
    It is a very powerful storm with an expected min. central pressure of around 940 hPa (!) and the associated cold front should bring a lot of rain, too.

Unfortunately employers will use their own judgement on people who don’t show up when there is no red warning.

Red means stay home. Orange means you are expected at work.

It’s vitally important they make the right call.
    As it stands we have a nationwide orange. That means it could be horrific out but the whole country will be out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ForestFire wrote: »
    I agree that the current country based rating system is ineffective. Just taking The weather channel winds speeds here as example, (average) but Clifden in Galway see max wind speeds of 72kmh, while Ballinasloe will see max of 50kmh.

Why they cannot just draw a line down the country with the different zones I do not know. Obviously the line would clearly have to show which side major towns and cities are on. And some times it might be a 10km costal warni g between certain points for example.

you honestly think that would work and not cause unbelievable amounts of confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

froog wrote: »
    you honestly think that would work and not cause unbelievable amounts of confusion?

As opposed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Excellent forecast just there on 9pm news both in presentation and detail!
    Well done Michelle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Hate to be this guy, but.. what is the outlook for areas to the immediate West of cork city?

I've my generator primed and extension cables at the ready to power the fridge freezer and deep freezer.

Are power outages in this area to be expected?

I'm hoping they are, so I can use the generator as a trail run for the next ophilia.

Dib dib dib and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

EXCELLENT forecast by Michelle dillion after 9pm news, explained the ramifications of an orange warning and the evolution of the winds tomorrow, still nationwide orange but she emphasised the red alert marine warning,looks like that's the way they're going to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh my goodness, this looks serious 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Met Eireann predictions are showing <10mm of rain in total for Dublin tomorrow. Doubt it's of concern.

Good to hear. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭aidanodr

mjp wrote: »
    On the west coast in Galway and hoping that we go to red alert. As the worst of it not due to hit Dublin so Rte will pay very little heed to it. Drove through salthill this evening at 4 clock and the carpark was full with prom jammed with people despite council "closing" the carpark since 2 clock. Expect to see more images of flooded cars from there tomorrow morning. People never learn

Here you go:
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1216462226674065408

If you can break through the zombie blockade at Islandeady and manage to avoid the Castlebar marauders I'd say you will be ok. Just beware of the roadsters patrolling the roads around Tulsk, some say they have acquired Dacia Dusters.
    Good luck!
    Also, keep the **** away from Longford. No zombies there but just keep the **** away from Longford!

As opposed to?

its not a perfect system, but at least everyone knows what the countys are. you think your average irishperson could process a new system of "weather zones"? it would be carnage.

the weather warning system needs to be pretty simple so people, not just posters on the boards.ie weather form can understand. countys, yellow, orange and red. it's about as simple as it could be. and still people get confused and upset. anything more complicated would be ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

froog wrote: »

If a map of the country people live in with one maybe two lines across it indicating red/orange/yellow areas and indicating major well known towns and cities confuses people, can those people please meet in a Salthill carpark tomorrow. For the good of our gene pool.

I live not too far from Clifden, if I drive to Dublin, the Eastern edge of my county is better than half way there, the county zones are daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Is there any chance of setting up a dedicated thread for the cars parked in Salthill?

Cars parked in Strandhill is the new "let's drive up to Sally's Gap in our Ford fiesta".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

West/Northwest red tomorrow morning is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Myself and my OH are in Naas. What's the story for tomorrow morning? Missed the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

West/Northwest red tomorrow morning is my guess

Sure by then we will have gone to work and school etc. Whats yhe point at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Myself and my OH are in Naas. What's the story for tomorrow morning? Missed the forecast.

Very strong winds and heavy rain as the front crosses the country tomorrow afternoon.

If a map of the country people live in with one maybe two lines across it indicating red/orange/yellow areas and indicating major well known towns and cities confuses people, can those people please meet in a Salthill carpark tomorrow. For the good of our gene pool.

I live not too far from Clifden, if I drive to Dublin, the Eastern edge of my county is better than half way there, the county zones are daft.

it's a system that doesn't require people to examine maps to see if their town/home is in an affected zone. do you not see a problem with your system? people without internet, not tech savvy, maybe no tv etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

You can watch it on the rte player soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Pretty irresponsible to tweet that graphic.

The clown is after putting it up on FB as well.

Advertisement