Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

French models not bring the center as low and as close as ICON and not showing as strong winds , keeping the strongest winds from the core off the W coast.

ECM out shortly.

anim_tty0.gif

arpegeuk-52-34-0_utj5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have all that almost at my back door here. Many much better things, frankly. Just waves and water, and no storm needed, and just part of daily life.

[/U]
    nthclare wrote: »
    Same here I love extreme weather, wouldn't wish anyone's lives interfered or anyone hurt.

But there's nothing like standing in a safe place near a headland and hearing the boulders collide and that metallic sound when a huge wave explodes with an epic shore break.
    Dogfish getting tossed ashore is a common one, you'd see them wriggling back towards the waters edge, but usually the next wave pulls them back to safety.

As for me? I am out in the Atlantic so very deep do-do indeed literally! Ocean about 50 metres from my door... ah well! Wind rising even now....

Looks like the Conor pass is a no go zone...I'm on high ground. I'm in deep do-do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes gonna have a nice snooze in tomorrow morning. Wish we had more storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Graces7 wrote: »
    As for me? I am out in the Atlantic so very deep do-do indeed literally! Ocean about 50 metres from my door... ah well! Wind rising even now....

Where exactly are you graces - which island?

• Advertisement

Gearing up with rising wind and squally showers on the windows even now but the forecast mentioned that a bad night out here.

Getting very loud now.

As you rightly aver, there is no precise line between orange and red.

West mayo offshore island

QUOTE=squarecircles;112233003]i think they are hinting at it by highligting the marine red warning.
    extreme exposed coastal extremities and islands off the west will probably experience red conditions.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Gearing up with rising wind and squally showers on the windows even now but the forecast mentioned that a bad night out here.

Getting very loud now.

As you rightly aver, there is no precise line between orange and red.

West mayo offshore island

QUOTE=squarecircles;112233003]i think they are hinting at it by highligting the marine red warning.
    extreme exposed coastal extremities and islands off the west will probably experience red conditions.
    [/QUOTE]

Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway this evening
    PnNrLuf.jpg

lL4jFsH.jpg

PXC2hZY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sorry if asked already, but do schools have to close if it's red or was that protocol changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pangea wrote: »
    Sorry if asked already, but do schools have to close if it's red or was that protocol changed?

Yes have to close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

But n serious injury and deaths are almost inevitable . as is serious damage to property so there is something very unsavoury about wishing so openly for a storm like that.
    It shows a disregard for reality.

I doubt though that those who wish this would cope with bad weather! "Exiting and scared" they would be.

So no it is not normal.

I'm well able for extreme weather, I'm as hardy as they come.
    I don't relish anyone's death or injury and hope nobody would really think or imply otherwise.
    I can understand why immenent storms are a disturbing time for many people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z out

IMO.

Certainly not downgraded. This run shows more evenly distributed strong winds across Ireland during the frontal passage gusting 100 to 110 km/h about anywhere . S, SE and E coasts continue to increase in wind speed I think gusting up to around 130 km/h, high end Orange on the coasts, Dublin looks to be fairly sheltered by the Wicklow mountains. Parts of the SW , W and later the NW could get gusts 130 km/h +

Coastal areas of W and S Kerry, W Galway, W Mayo and coastal Donegal look the strongest to me. S and SE not to be over looked , will be extremely windy there for a time also .Winds initially S and veering SW as the front goes through.

V6lclV2.png

Y66Abqe.png

MdnxbLv.png

nYPJWMo.png

tpNXQUv.png

kRUiC2U.png

9UcmM6u.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

If there was a red warning to be issued I say they would have made the announcement on the 6 o clock news

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

To graces7 and other posters on the west coast etc stay safe!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jk23 wrote: »
    If there was a red warning to be issued I say they would have made the announcement on the 6 o clock news

Was a bit surprised that they didn't, I would bet it's borderline for some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

jk23 wrote: »

Think Ophelia came out at around 9 but yeah, I don’t think they’ll go for it tonight.

Thanks and I intend to! I am very very good at staying safe! All I need now is for my remaining two cats to come in. .... There is abundant shelter out there in old buildings but I prefer they are in.....

Wind is coming and going. Squally not constant,

Stay safe wherever you are...
    maybe easier for me than for many as I have no need to open a door as soon as the cats are in!

Stay safe[/QUOTE]

EUMESTAT 18.00

Dry slot standing out well

DqFAkbZ.png

jmHBp6m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Think Ophelia came out at around 9 but yeah, I don’t think they’ll go for it tonight.

people in Glasnevin are probably unaware anyone lives in those areas anyways
    and have to commute.

be grand,they can plough the fields for potatoes the next day instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Probably slightly off topic, but I just want to say that I think Graces7 is an absolute legend. In my head, she is a cross between Grainuale, Peig Sayers & the Queen of England. You rock Grace!!!!!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been following a few days. Certainly a large windfield this time around. Largest in quite some time. I could imagine some red upgrades along the South and West tonight into tomorrow morning when people are getting up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Stay safe

Stay safe Grace, I am not looking forward to this one.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Sorry if I missed it but is there any potential lightening activity expected with this system ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed it but is there any potential lightening activity expected with this system ?

Yes I think ME did mention that in the forecast as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

people in Glasnevin are probably unaware anyone lives in those areas anyways
    and have to commute.

be grand,they can plough the fields for potatoes the next day instead.

This is the reason why two threads are required...:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Galway council putting out sandbags and signs in Salthill. They'll close the Prom road and carparks for sure so it should be fine.
    Aldi was extremely busy earlier which surprised me because a lot of people tend to ignore these orange storms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Mother has been fetched this evening. Brought to the sister's place. The home place is very exposed to Donegal Bay. Two cats also brought. I have a feeling this could be a bad one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

sdanseo wrote: »
    During Ophelia I told my boss I would be leaving early so as to beat the worst of the winds home - was driving 150km daily round trip at the time. He laughed and joked I needed to get back to work. About 30 mins later our MD instructed everyone to go home by 10am.

I smirked just a bit. Self righteous prick.

Never let any manager or boss force you to stay at your job if there is a weather warning. No job is worth a tree falling on you. Why do people still think a boss has that right. Just leave.

• Advertisement

This is the reason why two threads are required...:rolleyes:

But if you go down that route and follow it to its logical conclusion you would eventually end up with a thread consisting of Meteorite, Gaoth Laidir and Mt Cranium, with everyone else relegated to the 'chat' thread.

Advertisement